PDA

View Full Version : Is *really* long hair a cultural thing?

Knightly
December 20th, 2018, 06:32 PM
Scrolling through Facebook, Instagram and YouTube I've realized that most girls with really long hair are from Russia (and its surroundings) and Germany. So I'm wondering, is it common for Russian and German women to have really long hair? Is it part of the russian, german, or any other country's culture?
Also, long hair is part of YOUR country/ religion/social group's culture?

I'm so curious about this topic :D

blesseddamozel
December 20th, 2018, 06:41 PM
I'm from the United States, and from what I gather long hair is mostly cultural/regional thing. Certain cultures here, such as the cultures of the Native Americans, value long hair. Also people who are "hippies", from all generations, tend to wear long hair, as well as women in certain Christian sects. I've also read on here that long hair is very common in parts of California. I'm from NY, and I don't see long hair all that often. Most women wear it around their shoulders here. Occasionally you see guys with long hair. It's hard to say for the US because our cultural landscape is not super defined and has so many varying influences.

ETA: that's not to say all people here wear long hair for cultural reasons. Many just like the look of it or are inspired by modern influences to grow it long :)

-Fern
December 20th, 2018, 06:42 PM
It can be, as some cultures value having long hair (Hawaiians) or prefer not to cut hair for religious reasons (Amish, Rastas). But mostly it's personal choice.

cjk
December 20th, 2018, 08:28 PM
I have a great big blond beard. Do you think it's cultural or religious?

How about tattoos? Piercings? Specific hairstyles? How about jewelry choices?

A lot of them have historical, cultural, and even religious significance. But a lot of them also just look cool. I'm not Native American but I absolutely love silver and turquoise, Zuni and Apache are my personal favorites.

Ylva
December 20th, 2018, 09:35 PM
Long hair on women used to be highly valued in this area in the past. These days, it's a very equal society, where women are expected to fully take care of themselves and have busy careers, so I think many choose shorter lengths for convenience, but it's also a highly developed western consumerist country where people are encouraged to change their style every so often.

pailin
December 20th, 2018, 10:40 PM
In Myanmar (I work with people from Myanmar and there are a lot of them in the town where I live), traditionally, really long hair is definitely a thing. A mark of feminine beauty. Nowadays you will see short hair, but waist length hair is still very common, and I see more really long hair (ie classic length and longer) here than I've ever seen anywhere else.

Joules
December 21st, 2018, 01:12 AM
I'm Russian. No, it's not common. Most Russian ladies are very fixated on their looks (it's a recurring joke here that you can always recognize a Russian abroad by their makeup, hair and clothes, they're always "red carpet ready" compared to Europeans), not many people agree to not heat style or bleach for the sake of length. Women older than 30 might even be shamed for having hair longer than BSL, it's considered inappropriate. Besides, there's always a question of thickness, not everyone here has "braid as thick as an arm", and those with less thickness don't grow their hair too long because they think it's not beautiful.

Historically, yes. If you want to dress in traditional Russian clothes, a fake super thick blonde braid is a must, it might even come with the outfit.

victorian girl
December 21st, 2018, 03:34 AM
Besides, there's always a question of thickness, not everyone here has "braid as thick as an arm", and those with less thickness don't grow their hair too long because they think it's not beautiful.

Yes! This!!! This super-thick braid is actually praised because it's rare (like elsewhere in Europe, I guess), but women think that their own hair is inadequate because it's not as thick as in this saying. Just like my mom - we both have the same hair type as her Ukranian-Jewish granny, just much thinner (maybe because my mom's mom has very thin and fine hair), so my mom thinks that her granny had a reason to grow her hair thigh length, and we don't.

When I was at the primary school in the mid-00's, many, if not the most girls had braids to MBL or WL (except me with SL hair) - as it was in my mom's childhood and earlier, but I don't see it as widespread anymore. I remember that for my cousin brushing her long hair was a torture - she has very fine hair prone to tangles, and her mom was just ripping through them each morning (even though she had classic length hair at one point, but it was much coarser and more manageable). That's probably why she wears a bob now. Many girls wear their hair between BSL and HL in their 20's, but something longer is very rare.

Alibran
December 21st, 2018, 04:17 AM
Not really long, but mid-back to waist is common enough to be unremarkable here in southern Spain, especially among younger women. It might not be uncommon among older women either, but they tend to always wear it up. I've seen quite a few older women with buns and high braids that would probably be waist length if they wore their hair down.

lapushka
December 21st, 2018, 05:32 AM
I'm unsure. I think maybe they're more "public" about it? Perhaps?

lithostoic
December 21st, 2018, 05:42 AM
I've noticed a lot of Indian women grow their hair quite long. And it's beautiful! In June I met a young girl at the airport who had knee length twin braids with curly tassles. Her family is from Myanmar.

MusicalSpoons
December 21st, 2018, 07:48 AM
In my experience, mostly yes. My Asian co-workers (mostly Pakistani & Bangladeshi) were *very* surprised to see long hair on a white woman, even back when it was ~classic length. A lot of the girls at the school have classic+ hair, although over the past couple of years it's become more usual for them to cut it shorter as they near adolescence. [Incidentally, over those couple of years it's become more common to see white women with BSL-hip hair, occasionally TBL.]

Capybara
December 21st, 2018, 07:55 AM
I’m not familiar with Russian or Eastern European culture enough to be able to comment intelligently on it, but I do see a lot of Russian and Eastern European women on Instagram with long hair. It could well be related to culture. Several of my friends keep long hair for religious reasons - most commonly Sikh or Christians. I grew up in a religion where women were instructed not to cut our hair at all, which turned me off of long hair for a while until I realized I just liked how it looked and the styling options it opened up.

I also saw an article recently that said long hair was coming “back in style.” I had no idea it was out of style so that gave me a chuckle :)

HaMalka
December 21st, 2018, 08:10 AM
In my culture long hair is expected from women but not super long hair. It is partially because cross dressing is forbidden and short hair was considered a male style. Now that short hair is more common for women and there are short hairstyles that are considered feminine it is seen more often. Likewise men with long hair is rarely seen because it is considered a female style.

spitfire511
December 21st, 2018, 08:11 AM
Interested here as well - being American - I believe it is 'coming back in style' as capybara indicates - especially with the younger girls. My DD was one of two girls in her class with waist length or longer hair for the longest time, now most all of them have MBL hair (not ALL but creeping toward the majority).

However, her best friend is Chinese, and both she and her mother keep quite long hair -longer than TBL - (though the grandmother does not - cute little bob!) and it's usually up or braided (and SOOOO gorgeous. Her mother keeps those 'docked' straight bangs that look so amazing with that texture).

spidermom
December 21st, 2018, 09:04 AM
Most of the hair I see around here on women is between shoulder and BSL. (Pacific NW, USA)

victorian girl
December 21st, 2018, 09:07 AM
Just had another idea about the Russian and the Eastern European culture. Even in the 19th and the early 20th century, all the unmarried women in the countryside wore their hair down in one or two braids, and, of course, the healthier and thicker your hair was, the more beautiful you were. In the 1920's short hair became fashionable (as it did everywhere), but the thing was, that traditionaly haircut was often used as a punishment or when you went to a nunnery, so that's probably why many girls in the countryside and in small towns kept their braids. I've also read an interesting thing recently in a USSR women's magazine from 1985. There was a contest on the best hair style for long hair. They wrote that the readers were very enthusiastic about this contest, except for some girls from a small town, who wrote: "Stop promoting this old-fashioned stuff! We cut off our braids only last week!" (or something like that).

Capybara
December 21st, 2018, 09:18 AM
Just had another idea about the Russian and the Eastern European culture. Even in the 19th and the early 20th century, all the unmarried women in the countryside wore their hair down in one or two braids, and, of course, the healthier and thicker your hair was, the more beautiful you were. In the 1920's short hair became fashionable (as it did everywhere), but the thing was, that traditionaly haircut was often used as a punishment or when you went to a nunnery, so that's probably why many girls in the countryside and in small towns kept their braids. I've also read an interesting thing recently in a USSR women's magazine from 1985. There was a contest on the best hair style for long hair. They wrote that the readers were very enthusiastic about this contest, except for some girls from a small town, who wrote: "Stop promoting this old-fashioned stuff! We cut off our braids only last week!" (or something like that).

That is so interesting!

MarPreciosa
December 21st, 2018, 12:42 PM
Not really long, but mid-back to waist is common enough to be unremarkable here in southern Spain, especially among younger women. It might not be uncommon among older women either, but they tend to always wear it up. I've seen quite a few older women with buns and high braids that would probably be waist length if they wore their hair down.

This is also really common in Mexico City. I would estimate that the majority have hair at least BSL often down to hip. This applies to all ages, though alot of older women wear single or double braids.

They also take exceptional care of their hair for the most part - and embrace their natural texture and color much more than in the US (in general). It's very inspiring and envy inducing :D I can't wait to be at BSL with hair like theirs.

The Russia post is fascinating. I am very interested to follow this thread.

MarPreciosa
December 21st, 2018, 12:51 PM
Long hair on women used to be highly valued in this area in the past. These days, it's a very equal society, where women are expected to fully take care of themselves and have busy careers, so I think many choose shorter lengths for convenience, but it's also a highly developed western consumerist country where people are encouraged to change their style every so often.

I think you are on to something with consumerism affecting hair length. There is so much pressure to change change change - length, cut, color, style, products, etc. that unless you won the genetic lottery you can't grow long healthy hair and follow this mentality. And even if you did, you've got to change next month so why bother... hence the prevelance of Kardashian style extensions.

Unfortunately I do have to respectfully disagree that we live in an equal society.

daisy rei
December 21st, 2018, 01:21 PM
I don't know about "cultural" but the only really long hair found in my region of the US usually belongs to those you could describe as "trailer trash". :rollin:

I do believe wealthy women feel more pressure to cut and dye their hair compared to country bumpkins.

browntatis
December 21st, 2018, 02:03 PM
Where I am from (Colombia, South-America) most women have long, waist or hip length hair, I dont know if its cultural but its not common to see girls with short hair. Women over 50 normally wear it short.

When I moved to the United States 8 years ago, I noticed that its rare to see women with natural long hair, when you see a woman with long hair here, its more then likely weaved or hair extensions. When I came here with waist length hair, nobody believed it was all mine! Sadly I ended up cutting it.

Arciela
December 21st, 2018, 02:41 PM
Around where I live there is a lot of women from India and all their hair is knee length and beyond and SUPER thick. I feel right at home here :lol: It's nice though because in this area they sell a lot of Indian hair products I love and offer tips similar to LHC on how to grow and care for hair.

It wasn't until I moved here that I learned how to properly care for my long, thick, tangle prone hair. Now my hair is thick, nice and not too many tangles anymore thanks to some of the herbs and oils from India.

*Wednesday*
December 21st, 2018, 05:19 PM
USA is a mix of so many cultures that have conformed to westernized ideals. Even Natives, American Indians (preferred political term) generalizing the indigenous population.
I'm living in the northeast in NJ (USA). Most American women are caught up in hair trends no different than a pocketbook. What is trending. Hair is considered long at BSL.

Ylva
December 21st, 2018, 06:13 PM
Unfortunately I do have to respectfully disagree that we live in an equal society.

Where are you from?

My notion of an equal society directly related to what followed, as in "women are expected to fully take care of themselves and have busy careers". This shows in the general mentality of how women are no longer seen as fragile things here - this, at least, is my experience. All that has resulted from this is not necessarily positive, I have experience of that, too.

FennFire911
December 22nd, 2018, 07:25 AM
I don't know about "cultural" but the only really long hair found in my region of the US usually belongs to those you could describe as "trailer trash". :rollin:

I do believe wealthy women feel more pressure to cut and dye their hair compared to country bumpkins.

Laughing at how people are referred to as trailer trash and then calling them country bumpkins yourself is so grossly inappropriate. I don’t know where you get the idea that these are acceptable terms to call people but I’m telling you in no uncertain terms that I do not appreciate me and my family being referred to this way. I expect you to use more respectful words to refer to my demographic from now on.

nycelle
December 22nd, 2018, 08:30 AM
Most of the hair I see around here on women is between shoulder and BSL. (Pacific NW, USA)

Same in NYC.

We have a very high Chinese population here. From what I've seen, long hair is not the norm, not even among new immigrants.

cjk
December 22nd, 2018, 09:37 AM
Laughing at how people are referred to as trailer trash and then calling them country bumpkins yourself is so grossly inappropriate. I don’t know where you get the idea that these are acceptable terms to call people but I’m telling you in no uncertain terms that I do not appreciate me and my family being referred to this way. I expect you to use more respectful words to refer to my demographic from now on.

Ditto.

Besides, truly long hair must be taken care of meticulously and is an indicator of both health and commitment. It takes time to do it right, time not often available to "trailer trash."

She didn't say which part of the US she is from, but I suspect she would describe us as living in fly over country.

Can I get a yee-yee?

cjk
December 22nd, 2018, 09:59 AM
It wasn't until I moved here that I learned how to properly care for my long, thick, tangle prone hair. Now my hair is thick, nice and not too many tangles anymore thanks to some of the herbs and oils from India.

Please, expand on that. What tips, what herbs, and so forth!

sophia_
December 22nd, 2018, 10:42 AM
I live in a rural area in the US and I notice that hardly any locals here have bleached hair, waist-hip length is about average here. Even among people with bleached hair I don't notice too many ultra-damaged heads. I don't even see too much heat-styling. We have a large population of Pentecostal women here with beautiful hair, but they hardly ever wear their hair down (understandably, lol). Short hair is more common among older women, but still the majority have longer hair.

Kat
December 22nd, 2018, 11:05 AM
Where are you from?

My notion of an equal society directly related to what followed, as in "women are expected to fully take care of themselves and have busy careers". This shows in the general mentality of how women are no longer seen as fragile things here - this, at least, is my experience. All that has resulted from this is not necessarily positive, I have experience of that, too.

I've seen many instances where women are treated as "fragile things"-- whether it's ideas about what interests, careers, words, experiences, etc. are "appropriate" for us, or men assuming I can't lift "heavy" things (that aren't even heavy) or shaking my hand like they think I will break. Never mind being treated like objects, not as intelligent, more emotional, our worth is tied up solely in how we look, etc. And "women expected to fully take care of themselves" (at which point they're "too independent" and "too unfeminine" to be attractive to men-- even though these same men will also complain if a woman expects them to pay or be the breadwinner) and "have busy careers" (at which point they're neglecting their families, too career-driven, and are still expected to come home after work and take care of most of the housework and childcare).

Ylva
December 22nd, 2018, 11:29 AM
I've seen many instances where women are treated as "fragile things"-- whether it's ideas about what interests, careers, words, experiences, etc. are "appropriate" for us, or men assuming I can't lift "heavy" things (that aren't even heavy) or shaking my hand like they think I will break. Never mind being treated like objects, not as intelligent, more emotional, our worth is tied up solely in how we look, etc. And "women expected to fully take care of themselves" (at which point they're "too independent" and "too unfeminine" to be attractive to men-- even though these same men will also complain if a woman expects them to pay or be the breadwinner) and "have busy careers" (at which point they're neglecting their families, too career-driven, and are still expected to come home after work and take care of most of the housework and childcare).

Again, I don't know where you are from either. I speak of my particular experience in my particular AREA of the world and the surrounding culture. There are huge differences between different western countries.

languagenut
December 22nd, 2018, 01:01 PM

Uh, yeah. I have long hair and live in a mobile home in the country, and I do not consider myself a bumpkin.

I'm sure you didn't mean any harm, pathetic, but you might want to be more thoughtful in how you describe people.

daisy rei
December 22nd, 2018, 01:28 PM

I wasn't referring to you or your family, just stereotypes in the area I live. No need to take random statements personally? I would never personally call someone a bumpkin, even though it's kind of a cute word to me. :shrug:

FennFire911
December 22nd, 2018, 02:18 PM
Trailer trash is an insult no matter who you say it to. I cannot imagine why you think it’s Ok or why I shouldn’t take it personally. It’s not random at all. My family and I fit that stereotype you supposedly would never call someone. I’ve never met anybody who thinks it’s cute or would be flattered to be referred to as a bumpkin even indirectly.

cjk
December 22nd, 2018, 03:40 PM
No need to take random statements personally?

Then I'm sure you won't mind my use of the phrase worthless carpetbagger.

Kat
December 22nd, 2018, 03:44 PM
Again, I don't know where you are from either. I speak of my particular experience in my particular AREA of the world and the surrounding culture. There are huge differences between different western countries.

In *your* experience, yes. Not in my experience nor that of at least one other person in this thread who replied to you. We were speaking of experiences, yes? You have yours and I have mine. I'm glad it is better where you are. Here, and everywhere I have seen women treated unequally, it is not.

Ylva
December 22nd, 2018, 03:55 PM
In *your* experience, yes. Not in my experience nor that of at least one other person in this thread who replied to you. We were speaking of experiences, yes? You have yours and I have mine. I'm glad it is better where you are. Here, and everywhere I have seen women treated unequally, it is not.

Yes, indeed, but since the OP asked about people's experiences in THEIR AREA, why do you feel the need to specifically disagree with me, when we're not even talking about the same area? If we were in the same area, sure, you could have a contradicting experience to mine, but we are not, so they simply remain two separate matters.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2018, 04:14 PM
Surely the person actually living in a specific area knows best, no? :) At least, I think so.

I don't go out often, but when I do, I have never seen very long hair. I was the only one in my class that grew to classic - ever. All while going to school, studying, I never ever encountered anyone else with very long hair. Not even when I go out now. It's very rare where I live!

Chromis
December 22nd, 2018, 05:03 PM
Please stay tuned for the following moderator announcement:

"I came for the hair care advice, but I stayed for the friends."

It has been said more than once that TLHC is one of the nicest sites on the 'net. That's because we have exceptional members who genuinely care about each other and terrific moderators who strive to make sure everyone has the best experience possible. The feeling created is very much like an extended family.

On occasion, however, a quarrel will occur, or a bit of snark will creep into people's messages, and this note is a gentle reminder that the best antidote for that is for everyone to monitor their own posts. Using the Report Button is a great help to the moderators by alerting us to problems, but prevention is a way that everyone can help maintain that warm community spirit. So, as we like to say, KNIT before you post.

Before you hit the "Submit" button, review what you're about to say.

Is it Kind?

Is it Necessary?

Is it Informative?

Is it True?

Read your words as if someone else were saying them to you. How would you receive them? Would you be offended, hurt or angry? If your post doesn't pass those tests, try again. If you simply can't compose something, let the thread go, and maybe try again later.

Every once in a while, there will be something that you cannot agree with. No one expects there to be a complete meeting of minds on every single topic discussed here. In those cases, we ask for tolerance - not acceptance, but tolerance. The other person is always worthy of respect. If you post, do not attack. Agree to disagree, and let your words be civil and even as kind as possible.

Thank you, everyone, for making this such a wonderful community.

I will temporarily close this thread to make some visible deletions. Please do not reply to anything in grey. If you have quoted one of these posts or are replying, yours too will be grey. If you see your posts going grey, consider carefully what you are saying. My apologies if I miss any, I am rather sick.