PDA

View Full Version : Anybody notice basically no difference cone-free?

Periwinkle
November 4th, 2008, 01:32 PM
So for the last few weeks (can't remember the exact date, but it's in my journal somewhere) I've been following a cone-free regime.

I clarified at the beginning of my experiment with baking powder (or bicarb or whatever it is you're supposed to use; I did check at the time but I've since forgotten) and a vinegar rinse. I noticed almost no difference in my hair.

Since then, I've used lush's rehab (the only cone-free shampoo I have) or no shampoo, and a variety of cone-free conditioners.

I honestly don't think this has made any difference to my hair for better OR worse...but I can't help thinking that's a little unusual.

I'm thinking of going back to cones just so that I can worry less about what's in my products and also use up some of the other shampoos/conditioners I have.

Has anyone else noticed pretty much no difference without cones? Am I doing something wrong?

DMARTINEZ
November 4th, 2008, 02:09 PM
I hear ya! The only difference I notice with cones is that its slightly easier to
comb out after washing. I have coarse hair and its pretty tough. I use both
cone and no cone. Its all good. ;)

Deb

teela1978
November 4th, 2008, 02:13 PM
I don't notice a huge difference, but my hair is definitely has less tangles with cones. I also get a little more wave without.

plainjanegirl
November 4th, 2008, 02:20 PM
My hair gets ALOT more tangles without cones. Some people are better off using cones. I think it is a personal preference.

mommy101405
November 4th, 2008, 02:27 PM
I've tried both. Although I've never gone more than a week or two cone free I didn't notice any difference.

Anje
November 4th, 2008, 02:30 PM
I've been cone-free for quite a while, but I don't recall much difference from when I was using cones. I mostly do this because I find the results of shampooing so fluffy that I want to have to do it minimally, and I assume that not using cones means that I'll have less buildup from CO washing to shampoo out.

Honey39
November 4th, 2008, 02:37 PM
I've been cone-free for about five months? I'm not sure - my hair looks a LOT better, but that could be because of all the other stuff I've been doing here!!

I have thought about trying cones again, but then again, why would I? Cone-free conditioners are SOOOOOOOO much cheaper, and my hair is looking great. I have also been wondering about how much cones there are in leave-in conditioner, because the rich formula cone-free leave-in conditioner I bought (which is great) cost an absolute FORTUNE (Over £25....shhhh!).

These are the things that I think about - I'm glad I have this board to share it with, because no one in my real life cares about cones in conditioners, lol.

jojo
November 4th, 2008, 03:47 PM
I went cone free for a good 10 months and did see an improvement but then it was like my hair got used to that routine so I tried cones and it liked them. Nowadays I use which ever conditioner is available and my hair is just as suited.

Dvips
November 4th, 2008, 03:59 PM
Very little difference for me either.

I think the biggest difference for me was how long I could go between cleanings.

burns_erin
November 4th, 2008, 04:01 PM
My hair gets yucky if I use cones regularly. But I have fine hair. i have a hypothesis that people with fine hair are the ones who seem to do best with no cones, but....I wonder if there has ever been a poll.

I do remember that it did take several months for everything to settle down and i had to clarify a couple of times before it was really degunked.

Flaxen
November 4th, 2008, 05:03 PM
....I wonder if there has ever been a poll.
:agree:

Mariah's Cone Poll (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12426) and Results (http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=12959).

galleth
November 4th, 2008, 05:51 PM
Surprisingly, since I stopped using cones, my hair is not tangling anymore.

It was a tangled mess before... My hair didn't like cones at all, it was all dry and dull.... It really depends on the hair I guess.

dancingmegs
November 4th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Not much of a difference for me. I can take them or leave them. I like the slippiness of coney conditioners, and they make my hair nice and soft and shiny. But my hair's fine without them too.

MandaMom2Three
November 4th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Not much of a difference for me. I can take them or leave them. I like the slippiness of coney conditioners, and they make my hair nice and soft and shiny. But my hair's fine without them too.

EXACTLY my experience, to a "T"

julya
November 4th, 2008, 08:20 PM
I recently decided to try using cones in my hair after having been cone free for a long time, a year at least. I have been liking them! I mix a few drops of a serum into my watered down conditioner mix after shampooing. I have been liking results for the past month or so.

DecafJane
November 4th, 2008, 08:41 PM
My hair is both coarse and thick, so it is tough and needs untangling - hence, cones probably result in less breakage for me. Of course, right now it isn't long enough to tangle badly, so I can experiment without too much pain. :D