PDA

View Full Version : Castor oil?

Sparkles122
December 19th, 2018, 02:54 PM
I saw on another thread someone post about using castor oil. Can someone please explain to me the step by step process of using castor oil in the hair?

Cate36
December 19th, 2018, 02:58 PM
There are a million and one youtube videos on it.. it is supposed to be excellent for the scalp and for hair growth (especially the Jamaican black castor oil).. to the point of people who have lost their eyebrows, being able to grow them back. I know women who have suffered from genetic hair loss, grow back hair with supposedly long term use of it.. so would also love to hear if anyone here uses it...

gustavonut
December 19th, 2018, 03:01 PM
Anywhere to get it in Germany?

Sparkles122
December 19th, 2018, 03:04 PM
The other thing I want to try is blackstrap molasses in my hair. I think that most definitely will stain lighter hair. But my hair is dark and I dont mind darker staining at all

gustavonut
December 19th, 2018, 03:05 PM
The other thing I want to try is blackstrap molasses in my hair. I think that most definitely will stain lighter hair. But my hair is dark and I dont mind darker staining at all

I’ve used that in an SMT before. The smell was interesting but it worked quite well.

cjk
December 19th, 2018, 03:12 PM

I'm in the US but I've seen it commonly in the ethnic/black hair care aisle. And in beauty supply stores too, it's usually near the braid in hair.

Surely stores similar to those are present in Germany.

Ylva
December 19th, 2018, 03:17 PM

Try the pharmacy, if you don't find it in regular stores.

MidnightMoon
December 19th, 2018, 03:38 PM

I don't use it for hair, but to remove makeup and leave on my skin, and got it originally to drink as a cocktail to stimulate delivery lol (so I don't know if it's exactly what you want), but it's only the oil, nothing else added, and I got it from the pharmacy, just ask for Rizinusöl.

Sparkles122
December 19th, 2018, 03:41 PM
I’ve used that in an SMT before. The smell was interesting but it worked quite well.

How did you use it?

Longlegs
December 19th, 2018, 03:58 PM
I have a small bald spot on my scalp, I have no idea why or when it happened, a hairdresser pointed it out to me and it had been about 2 years since I'd been to see one. It's not in obvious spot and the rest of my hair is thick and healthy. I tried rubbing Jamaican bleack castor oil on it twice a day, everyday, but the hair has never grown back. I tried it on my eyebrows which are thinning with age but again noticed no difference. Everyone is different but it did'nt do a thing for my hair.

Cate36
December 19th, 2018, 04:06 PM
I have a small bald spot on my scalp, I have no idea why or when it happened, a hairdresser pointed it out to me and it had been about 2 years since I'd been to see one. It's not in obvious spot and the rest of my hair is thick and healthy. I tried rubbing Jamaican bleack castor oil on it twice a day, everyday, but the hair has never grown back. I tried it on my eyebrows which are thinning with age but again noticed no difference. Everyone is different but it did'nt do a thing for my hair.

That's disappointing.. have you tried any other remedies.. Rosemary oil for example?

lapushka
December 19th, 2018, 05:45 PM
I'm in the US but I've seen it commonly in the ethnic/black hair care aisle. And in beauty supply stores too, it's usually near the braid in hair.

Surely stores similar to those are present in Germany.

Not in most of Belgium there aren't, except when you maybe go to Brussels or other more international cities. That's the situation here. I think it might be slightly different in Germany, but maybe not in the smaller cities or towns.

lapushka
December 19th, 2018, 05:47 PM
How did you use it?

More about SMTs here:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128&highlight=moisture+treatment

LittleHealthy
December 19th, 2018, 05:58 PM
I used castor oil as a leave in mask with other oils on my wash day, but the mechanical damage due to having to shampoo extra times to remove it doesn’t seem worth it to me. It’s really great on my dry ends, but I’d rather use a lighter oil and not have to work so hard to remove it when I wash. Castor oil is suuupeer thick and sticky, best used mixed with other oils if you’re going to apply it!

aethyra
December 19th, 2018, 10:22 PM
Posting timed out. Repost below.

aethyra
December 19th, 2018, 10:28 PM
Hi Sparkles.. I dont post much advice here as my hair is all screwed up suddenly, starting right after last Christmas, out of the blue; but I have tried castor oil using 3 different products. Pinterest got me started on this, initially.

My personal experimentation, along with reading lots of threads here on the forums with many posts on castor oil hair treatments and user reviews on same, led me to the following conclusions:

1. From outside research I learned that has Jamaican Black Castor (JBCO) has ashes an additive. So dont use on eyebrows. If it gets in your eyes you can develop conjunctivitis, irritation and/or redness.

All 3 castor oils have made me shed. So they are a no go for me. But I applied all of them without carrier oils. Dont use it straight, but cut with jojoba or almond oil if you want to try it. 25% castor oil tops. Essential oil droplets (no more than 5) of pure peppermint, rosemary, lemongrass, tea tree, depending on your scalp needs can be added. Always do a skin test to ensure the oils dont cause irritation before adding them to your hair oil mix.

I think all castor pils work better in curly and also kinky hair. Straight/fine hair types seem to suffer sheds more.

For eyebrows cold pressed, organic, hexane free castor oil works miracles. Eyelashes too.. Castor oil has so many amazing benefits. Applied to the skin it can shrink and even eradicate topical and subcutaneous growths.

But as for me, i get shedding no matter the dilution. Some speculate that castor oil induced sheds are merely expediting the shedding of hair that was going to shed on its own anyway, but brings new hairs in their place, but i cannot say for certain and am not taking any chances.

Just my take on all of this. We all react to scalp treatments differently and as the fine ladies say here, yiour mileage may vary.

Happy Holidays!!

akurah
December 19th, 2018, 11:19 PM
As for finding (regular) castor oil: Look in the pharmacy section under laxatives. That's the primary use it is sold for in your standard stores (Target, Walmart, pharmacies, etc). You may also be able to find other variations (such as JBCO) in ethnic hair care sections.

lapushka
December 20th, 2018, 01:44 AM
In Belgium (if you don't live in Brussels or another international city), you are not going to be getting castor oil anywhere. Hmm, wait, maybe Holland & Barrett carry it? Still, it would be easier to order online for me. I've always wondered about castor oil. Not for my scalp but for the oil rinse. Next to my mineral/baby oil.

gustavonut
December 20th, 2018, 02:44 AM
I’ve never seen an ethnic hair care section in any store anywhere here.
Walmart in America has one but to my knowledge none here have it.

TreesOfEternity
December 20th, 2018, 03:02 AM
I usually buy online, I think it can be found in herbal medicine (?) stores as well, those where they sell organic and bio stuff.

gustavonut
December 20th, 2018, 03:40 AM
I went to the pharmacy just now and got 50ml of pure castor oil for 1.50 :o
I was really surprised

lapushka
December 20th, 2018, 03:42 AM
I went to the pharmacy just now and got 50ml of pure castor oil for 1.50 :o
I was really surprised

Pharmacies to the rescue! Of course it's not Jamaican black castor oil (where they say the true benefits come from), but hey, to me castor oil = castor oil. ;)

gustavonut
December 20th, 2018, 04:53 AM
Pharmacies to the rescue! Of course it's not Jamaican black castor oil (where they say the true benefits come from), but hey, to me castor oil = castor oil. ;)
Wooo! You are exactly right.
Its the same thickness as the Jamaican kind and smells a bit more sweet if that’s possible. We shall see how it turns out in a few days when I wash my hair.
I’ll be using it as a pre poo oil overnight mixed with coconut oil.

YvetteVarie
December 20th, 2018, 06:55 AM
I always use the normal castor oil. It worked for me (or maybe it was the regular scalp massages). I use it mostly as a sealant, my hair loves heavy oils and butters so its a staple for me

cestlavie
December 20th, 2018, 07:49 AM
I use castor oil mixed with a thinner oil like almond or grapeseed to make it easier to spread on the scalp (otherwise it pulls too much on my hair while applying which makes me nervous). My scalp likes it and I cut my bangs once every two weeks but now I have to cut them every week since I used castor oil again. Not sure if it's only the castor oil or just a growth spurt? Anyway, it works well for my dry scalp :)

young&reckless
December 20th, 2018, 07:50 AM
My Castor oil expirence:

Regular castor oil works fine. I find mine near the Epson salt. The magic comes form the caster bean itself, how it works is it disrupts the normal growth shed cycle to help fill in areas. Normal cycle is grow, stop, shed, wait, start new growth. Castor oil changes that to grow, stop, wait, then only shedding when the new hair grows. I use mine 50/50 with a carrier oil, usually jojoba or argon. On my eyebrows and eyelashes, several days a week, on my scalp, once or twice a week in fall and winter. I let it sit for at least an hour before washing out. Good luck!

kph12
December 20th, 2018, 08:16 AM
I use the Camille Cold Pressed Castor oil. You can get it on Amazon for like $10. I originally only used it on my eyebrows and eyelashes, which seriously works by the way. I'm of Asian descent so I have very translucent thin eye brows but since i've been using castor oil you can actually SEE my eyebrows. My boyfriend now jokes that he always thought my obsession with different oils and treatments were just placebos but now he actually believes me.

Anyway, I started using the castor oil on my scalp and ends prior to shampooing, about once a month. I take olive oil and mix in some castor oil and argan oil and apply it to scalp and all throughout my hair and leave it for like, an hour or so until I shower. It is quite thick so I used to use a sulfate shampoo to get it out. Now I switched to using Shea Moisture Clarifying shampoo (which I believe is sulfate free) and then I do a deep conditioner. My hair is currently growing but I'm not sure if the Castor oil makes it grow faster. I just think it's good for hair just based on how great my eyebrows and eyelashes look after using it consistently.

lapushka
December 20th, 2018, 10:29 AM
I always use the normal castor oil. It worked for me (or maybe it was the regular scalp massages). I use it mostly as a sealant, my hair loves heavy oils and butters so its a staple for me

I am eager to try it. I will, but I have to get through some other oils first. :)

Growitagain28
December 20th, 2018, 01:27 PM
I have a love hate relationship with it. My hair feels noticeably soft after washing/drying but the honey like consistency makes me not want to use it. So I use it maybe once a month for a few hours before hair washing :)

gustavonut
December 21st, 2018, 06:08 AM
So I tried my castor oil from the pharmacy. I mixed it up with coconut oil. I did more castor than coconut, put it in a bowl and then put that bowl in some warm water in the sink. After it dissolved a bit I applied it to my scalp and massaged really vigorously (including using the metal scalp massager) and then brushed it through and let it sit for an hour and a half or two hours.
I washed it out with shampoo and dried as normal and my hair is so soft and easy to comb. I will continue using this before every shower.

lapushka
December 21st, 2018, 10:13 AM
So I tried my castor oil from the pharmacy. I mixed it up with coconut oil. I did more castor than coconut, put it in a bowl and then put that bowl in some warm water in the sink. After it dissolved a bit I applied it to my scalp and massaged really vigorously (including using the metal scalp massager) and then brushed it through and let it sit for an hour and a half or two hours.
I washed it out with shampoo and dried as normal and my hair is so soft and easy to comb. I will continue using this before every shower.

I wouldn't be so rough with it, personally, a "regular" massage is just fine!

elfynity
December 21st, 2018, 11:27 AM
I massage organic, pure castor oil on my face every night a little while before bed and it removed the majority of my hyperpigmentation. I am quite sure that it does work to speed up the growth rate of your hair, but getting it out is damaging, and for me was not worth it at the end of the day. I'd rather allow my natural oils do the oiling and gently shampoo my hair with big stretches inbetween.

Reservechic
December 21st, 2018, 06:17 PM
After I started watching Youtube years ago, I decided that based upon the great results that quite a fair number of Youtubers had received from incorporating JBCO into their hair care regimen towards helping with increased hair thickness and/or increased hair growth, i decided to give such a go. I have purchased regular castor oil, I have purchased JBCO, and Extra Dark JBCO as well. I have fine textured hair, and there are areas on my head where my hair is thinner than other areas on my head. The one I got from Walmart was 100% odorless (which I liked), however, I didn't get any noticeable results from it. The Tropic Iske Living JBCO bottles that I bought, I used dilly gently for an extended period of time. I wasn't a fan of the snell, but I decided that I would give it a fair chance anyways. I didn't gain any noticeable, long-term results from using it. So, I decided to give the Sunny Isle Extra Dark JBCO a try, thinking that this version would actually give me noticeable results. Unfortunately, I didn't get such at all. Plus, the stuff is thick and sticky, and the smell isn't good, but I would have stuck with it, if it actually did something life-changing towards my hair, which I never received. Which is why, I got off the whole castor oil train, and haven't looked back.

I will admit, I only used castor oil (including the JBCO versions), as pre-poo treatments. I didn't use such on my hair on a daily basis nor my scalp. However, I doubt that would have really made a major difference, because, my hair is fine textured and when I have tried using even coconut oil on my hair during one of the times that I was styling my hair way back, my head looked like someone had dumped a bottle of Crisco cooking oil on it. And, with JBCO being thicker in consistency than coconut oil, my hair wouldn't hold up well with such being used on it daily at all. Plus, I don't think I could deal with the smell of it in my hair every day either.

For me, when it comes to JBCO, using a product with sulfur (msm), actually has been more beneficial to me than any version of castor oil that I've ever tried, when it has come to rejuvenating the follicles on my scalp, towards promoting increased hair growth. But, it's not something that works overnight. It's something that you have to be super diligent towards. There are some people that actually buy sulfur powder (msm) and they add it in with other oils to make a DIY hair growth oil with. Or, there are pre-made hair growth oils that have sulfur in them, that people do buy. So, for those that have not had much success or any success using JBCO for increased hair growth and/or hair thickness, I highly recommend using a product that has sulfur in it for sure!

almostghost
December 22nd, 2018, 07:59 AM
Hmm. I always have castor oil on hand because I use it in making soap. It's very affordable from my soap making supplies website, just like $4 a pound (roughly a pint or 500ish mL), so maybe I'll try mixing a little bit into the henna gloss I'm doing tomorrow and see what happens. :)