View Full Version : DODECENE Ingredients

Kiisu
December 19th, 2018, 03:24 AM
What is Dodecene ? its can buildup or not ? :confused:
I saw Garnier Ultimate Blends Honey strengthening conditioner has it dodecene .

This is good/safe ingredients for hair ?
Aqua / Water, Cetyl Alcohol, PEG-180, CI 19140 / Yellow 5, CI 15985 / Yellow 6, Elaeis Guineensis Oil / Palm Oil, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Dodecene, Mel / Honey, Chlorhexidine Digluconate, Poloxamer 407, Limonene, Benzyl Alcohol, Benzyl Salicylate, Isopropyl, Myristate, 2-Oleamido-1,3-Octadecanediol, Propolis Extract, Myristyl Alcohol, Cetrimonium Chloride, Cetyl Esters, BHT, Citric Acid, Lauryl, PEG/PPG- 18/18 Methicone, Coumarin, Royal Jelly, Parfum / Fragrance

Obsidian
December 19th, 2018, 05:43 AM
According to google, yes it will build up. https://www.curlsbot.com/curly-girl-ingredient-list/

lapushka
December 19th, 2018, 07:20 AM
Anything will build up if you don't clarify often. Anything. Silicones, and even natural ingredients like oils, waxes, butters, it can all build up if you don't clarify-wash well. I don't see how this ingredient is somehow more "dangerous" or suddenly different.

MusicalSpoons
December 19th, 2018, 08:49 AM
Anything will build up if you don't clarify often. Anything. Silicones, and even natural ingredients like oils, waxes, butters, it can all build up if you don't clarify-wash well. I don't see how this ingredient is somehow more "dangerous" or suddenly different.

I think there's a chemical difference between buildup and residue - a different type of chemical bond between the molecule sticking to itself, and conditioning ingredients remaining on the hair. We do tend to call it all 'buildup' though, but actual buildup is harder to remove than an accumulation of residue from non-buildup ingredients.

lapushka
December 19th, 2018, 10:13 AM
I think there's a chemical difference between buildup and residue - a different type of chemical bond between the molecule sticking to itself, and conditioning ingredients remaining on the hair. We do tend to call it all 'buildup' though, but actual buildup is harder to remove than an accumulation of residue from non-buildup ingredients.

You think so?

Can I read up on this somewhere, or is that your own theory? :)

MusicalSpoons
December 19th, 2018, 10:58 AM
You think so?

Can I read up on this somewhere, or is that your own theory? :)

It is based on what I've read but I've not actually seen it stated explicitly - I'd need a bit of time to pull references together. The ingredients that are proven to buildup need the specific detergents (usually sulphates) to break the bonds in order to remove them, whereas other stuff washes off with either emulsifiers or different ('milder') detergents, which work via slightly different chemical interactions to break the bonds of the residue. But I can't think off the top of my head the actual evidence or terminology for it :rolleyes:

However I do agree that anything *can* accumulate and need actually washing off - but my original comment was about the distinction, why certain ingredients are 'worse' (just harder to get rid of, really).

lapushka
December 19th, 2018, 11:12 AM
It is based on what I've read but I've not actually seen it stated explicitly - I'd need a bit of time to pull references together. The ingredients that are proven to buildup need the specific detergents (usually sulphates) to break the bonds in order to remove them, whereas other stuff washes off with either emulsifiers or different ('milder') detergents, which work via slightly different chemical interactions to break the bonds of the residue. But I can't think off the top of my head the actual evidence or terminology for it :rolleyes:

However I do agree that anything *can* accumulate and need actually washing off - but my original comment was about the distinction, why certain ingredients are 'worse' (just harder to get rid of, really).

I would be interested in more information on this. Sounds interesting! :)

Ylva
December 19th, 2018, 03:25 PM

I think the bolded part is what people commonly refer to as build-up, or at least I've imagined so. However, I think I agree with your theory and have thought of something similar as well.

Kiisu
December 19th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Garnier answered me : this ingredient is an oily liquid derived from vegetable oils used as an antioxidant.