PDA

View Full Version : Removing the hair from my chin

majesticgoldenr
December 18th, 2018, 09:06 PM
I’ve been taking about 10 g of collagen every day for the past few months and it seems to be helping my hair and skin. I’m also becoming very self-conscious of the hair on my chin. In the spring one of my friends had commented that I ought to shave my chin and since then I’ve noticed that the hair on my chin is gotten more noticeable, at least to me. I would like to keep taking the collagen but I’m not sure the best way to remove the hair on my chin without it becoming thicker longer and more noticeable.

Would waxing my chin be a good idea?

chin:

https://i.imgur.com/55fQWV7.jpg

lithostoic
December 18th, 2018, 09:08 PM
That looks completely normal?? Everyone has hair on their face. I had to zoom all the way in to even see it. My boyfriend's mom has a literal beard.

Ylva
December 18th, 2018, 09:15 PM
I don't see anything odd about that either.

ursaV
December 18th, 2018, 09:18 PM
I would not touch it, I hardly noticed it as well. IMO the more you mess with it the worse it gets, whether it's darker regrowth or skin discoloration :/ That friend sounds sort of hyper-critical.

-Fern
December 18th, 2018, 09:32 PM
I also don't see any hair aside from the fine downy fluff everyone has. :o

akurah
December 18th, 2018, 09:34 PM
I don't see it. There's a barely noticeable amount of fuzz, but nothing worth going after, and it wouldn't even be noticeable except that your picture is massively blown up and zoomed in closer than what people would get to your face normally.

My advice to people in general regarding waxing as well: unless your hair is incredibly dark and/or coarse, don't do it. By dark, I mean black hair against pale skin. I have bad genetics and dark and coarse hair on my chin and upper lip, so I do wax (I look like I'm trying to grow a goatee if I don't wax it), but I also pay for it by having acne there as a nearly direct side effect, and I also suffer regularly with ingrown hairs, that can become infected, and both acne and ingrown hairs can lead to scarring. So if it's not broke, don't fix it.

Also, go tell that friend to take a long walk off a short pier. Real friends do not trash their friends that way.

Jo Ann
December 18th, 2018, 10:36 PM
What hair?

I started sprouting hair on my chin (and the occasional wild long hair on my cheeks) when I went through menopause. Mine comes in dark, grey or white and is coarse. If I don't pluck or tweeze it, it is noticeable. We're talking if I didn't keep it under control, I'd have a goatee (no moustache, just a little beard) on my chin.

With all due respect, Majesticgoldenr, your friend doesn't know what he/she is talking about.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 19th, 2018, 01:50 AM
What hair? I don't see anything abnormal. I have about three hairs on my chin/neck which grow long and are obvious. I just shave them off.

TreesOfEternity
December 19th, 2018, 01:58 AM
I don't see a single hair there either :/ Don't wax your chin, if anything remove the single hairs that annoy you with tweezers, otherwise you will have more and more hair, and darker, each time (talking from personal experience).

Milady_DeWinter
December 19th, 2018, 03:28 AM
The 2-3 very dark hairs on my chin are removed with tweezers everytime I feel them. I would only recommend tweezers for it, as Trees said.

Joules
December 19th, 2018, 04:09 AM
Peach fuzz isn't hair. Well, technically it is, but it's not something to be upset about. We're mammals, we all have it all over our bodies. It's normal. Tell your friend to go look in a mirror. Unless they're a shark, they have hair on their chin too.

Milady_DeWinter
December 19th, 2018, 04:19 AM
Peach fuzz isn't hair. Well, technically it is, but it's not something to be upset about. We're mammals, we all have it all over our bodies. It's normal. Tell your friend to go look in a mirror. Unless they're a shark, they have hair on their chin too.

You just made me recall the Nimona comic :lol: :lol: :lol:

https://teaandtomes.files.wordpress.com/2016/01/nimona-shark.jpg?w=640

But yes, hair is just normal. Fuzzy hair esp, you can just leave it alone. Just remove the darker ugly ones with tweezers if you want, and that's all :)

blackgothicdoll
December 19th, 2018, 06:32 AM
Looks like normal peach fuzz. I get the occasion "real" hair popping in my chin and neck, there are two that I notice come in and make me angry. I tweeze those. Don't mess with peach fuzz, it could come back thicker.

zashin66
December 19th, 2018, 07:05 AM
When I was 19, my mother reached up to my chin and have a yank but she didn't actually touch my skin. I yelled in surprise. She pulled one hair that was growing really long. She took me to the doctor who said, after appropriate blood tests, that I was normal in my hormones. Later on, I developed several more hairs. I just shave them off every day. The peach fuzzies right next to the thicker hairs have never gotten worse or thicker. Don't get many ingrown hairs. I tried waxing my face once only. Afterwards it took two weeks for the scabs to heal up. The roots were very long. Even longer than hairs from back of my head. ( I pulled a few for comparison).

I just deal with what the good Lord gave me, pick up and go on. I'm grateful for the all the hairs on my head, so what if a few got misplaced along the way.

lapushka
December 19th, 2018, 07:23 AM
I was expecting a hair to be sticking out, but I was literally like, "what hair"?

It's fine!

What a nasty comment to give someone!

Carolyn
December 19th, 2018, 08:20 AM
Maybe you were in the sun or bright light when your friend was looking at your face. Fuzz really shows up in the sun. I think it was rude to say anything to you about it. I notice it on women and never would say anything. I have a lot of fuzz and a lot of horrid wiry hairs growing from upper lip down. I tweeze almost every day. I also have a home threader tool that yanks the little bastards out. Yeah it hurts a bit but you get used to it. I've also had my face threaded and waxed. I don't always have the money to do that at least once a month. So I do the home thing.

MusicalSpoons
December 19th, 2018, 08:40 AM
I was expecting a hair to be sticking out, but I was literally like, "what hair"?

It's fine!

What a nasty comment to give someone!

Exactly this! I even zoomed in to try and see, but nope, still can't see anything. Unless you do mean the peach fuzz, which as has already been said is completely normal!

It also seems it's perfectly normal to have a few 'misplaced' actual hairs (I like that term, zashin66! :D ) and for those I too just use tweezers.

GrowlingCupcake
December 19th, 2018, 02:57 PM
Maybe it's because I grew up as a hairier-than-normal person in Asia, but I can see the hair they are talking about.

I get my chin, and upper lip done when I get my eyebrows waxed. If I have to do it at home, I use a very small razor, and shave the same way men would. I do have one hair I regularly pull out of my face (it's LONG, and white), and I frequently shave the underside of my chin. I've had no acne, no ingrown hair, etc. because of it.

My friend is even hairier than I am. She gets hers threaded off, and has had no issues with acne or ingrown hair.

It makes me more comfortable to do it, so I'm going to continue doing it. If you really feel you must, ask a male you know who shaves (father, partner, brother, brother in law, etc.), see your regular eyebrow waxer or threader (if you have one), and if you do not, find a reputable one. Do not wax/thread at home. Oh, and buy a small facial razor.

cjk
December 19th, 2018, 03:14 PM
I'm surprised nobody has suggested sugar wax. Pretty common approach and cheap to make at home.

There's also shaving or bleaching, and Magic Shave is a cream depilatory option.

illicitlizard
December 19th, 2018, 04:20 PM
My friend is even hairier than I am. She gets hers threaded off, and has had no issues with acne or ingrown hair.

It makes me more comfortable to do it, so I'm going to continue doing it. If you really feel you must, ask a male you know who shaves (father, partner, brother, brother in law, etc.), see your regular eyebrow waxer or threader (if you have one), and if you do not, find a reputable one. Do not wax/thread at home. Oh, and buy a small facial razor.

I agree with most of this, 'cept for going to a professional to get waxed/threaded. It's really freaking easy to do at home. I prefer threading as it irritates my skin less. Or plucking if it's only a few stray hairs.
I will say though, peach fuzz is entirely normal so it's not like you actually HAVE to remove it. Pretty sure no-one but your friends are even going to notice it in passing.

lapushka
December 19th, 2018, 04:49 PM
I'm surprised nobody has suggested sugar wax. Pretty common approach and cheap to make at home.

There's also shaving or bleaching, and Magic Shave is a cream depilatory option.

For peach fuzz? I just leave that stuff alone! Except for my blonde side-burns, they are like 0.5cm and the finest blonde hairs you ever saw, but they somehow are a little annoying when applying moisturizer. I "ladyshave" them off my face. Electric razor. ;)

cjk
December 19th, 2018, 05:11 PM
For peach fuzz? I just leave that stuff alone! Except for my blonde side-burns. ;)

All else being equal, I'd agree. But the chin fuzz is obviously causing her some degree of distress. And I did mention sugar wax, the classic DIY approach.

Besides, I'm not sure she'd like the approach I took with the hairs on MY chin!

lapushka
December 19th, 2018, 05:22 PM
All else being equal, I'd agree. But the chin fuzz is obviously causing her some degree of distress. And I did mention sugar wax, the classic DIY approach.

Let it grow, let it grow, let it grow. Falalalala lala lala. :lol:

vampyyri
December 19th, 2018, 05:28 PM
Ah peach fuzz... I personally shave mine off :shrug: I wear makeup daily and like having a really smooth base for it. It doesn't grow back darker or thicker, it comes back as the same blonde fuzzies.

GrowlingCupcake
December 19th, 2018, 06:09 PM
I agree with most of this, 'cept for going to a professional to get waxed/threaded. It's really freaking easy to do at home. I prefer threading as it irritates my skin less. Or plucking if it's only a few stray hairs.
I will say though, peach fuzz is entirely normal so it's not like you actually HAVE to remove it. Pretty sure no-one but your friends are even going to notice it in passing.

True; if you're comfortable doing it on your own, you don't have to go to a professional.

Ah peach fuzz... I personally shave mine off :shrug: I wear makeup daily and like having a really smooth base for it. It doesn't grow back darker or thicker, it comes back as the same blonde fuzzies.

I used to do that for the same reason when I wore makeup more often. Now, I still don't like peach fuzz, but I'm too lazy to do anything about it. I really need to work up the ambition to deal with the peach fuzz, and body hair (I hate body hair).

victorian girl
December 20th, 2018, 02:24 AM

It doesn't cause distress to the OP! It causes distress to some (rather mean and ill-mannered, actually) friend of hers. People can be mean, but you don't have to waste your time and money just to please them. Next time that friend could say that the OP should go bald - and so what?

I don't think that the peach fuzz is worth fighting with, everyone has it! There are even some stories about Marilyn Monroe's peach fuzz... And long, coarse and dark hairs are a different story entirely - and all the hair removal methods are directed to them. I have 1 dark hair on my chin that I remove with tweezers, and don't touch anything else.

TreesOfEternity
December 20th, 2018, 02:58 AM

Wish I could shave any part of my body really haha. I have dark hair and fair skin and shaving will cause lots of long coarse black hairs to grow back with a vengeance, plus the ingrowns are terrible. That’s another good thing about being blonde for you guys! :o

Stray_mind
December 20th, 2018, 05:40 AM
I think leave them be. :)

They look completely normal. I have soft fuzzy "fur" all over my face, but i ain't shaving my face lol. If someone doesn't like it, then that's on them, not me. :D

Also i am always in awe how people manage to be so meticulous as to notice such things on others. Maybe i am just completely oblivious to anything other than the beauty of people's hair, eyes and overall (natural) looks. :shrug:

Nineteenbirds
December 20th, 2018, 08:17 AM
I realized a long time ago that whatever it is that enables me to grow such thick, dark hair on my head also makes it grow on my face, my legs...I wish I could bottle it and sell it to bald guys! I'd be rich. Anyway, I invested in a really good pair of tweezers and I pull the dark, coarse ones out of my chin, upper lip and eyebrows every day. The peachfuzz I just leave and don't worry about it. But if I didn't tweeze I'd look like a man in a few days. I used to use an electric gadget made by Remington for my chin that pulled the hairs out en masse, but it was painful and eventually I went back to tweezers.

Whatever works for you is best, but I wouldn't let my friends decide for me.

TreesOfEternity
December 20th, 2018, 10:56 AM
I think leave them be. :)

They look completely normal. I have soft fuzzy "fur" all over my face, but i ain't shaving my face lol. If someone doesn't like it, then that's on them, not me. :D

Also i am always in awe how people manage to be so meticulous as to notice such things on others. Maybe i am just completely oblivious to anything other than the beauty of people's hair, eyes and overall (natural) looks. :shrug:

I'm the same, can't understand why some people focus so much on other's "imperfections", I guess it's something about being superficial that will make them see their own flaws a lot more, so it's sad for many reasons :/

I realized a long time ago that whatever it is that enables me to grow such thick, dark hair on my head also makes it grow on my face, my legs...I wish I could bottle it and sell it to bald guys! I'd be rich. Anyway, I invested in a really good pair of tweezers and I pull the dark, coarse ones out of my chin, upper lip and eyebrows every day. The peachfuzz I just leave and don't worry about it. But if I didn't tweeze I'd look like a man in a few days. I used to use an electric gadget made by Remington for my chin that pulled the hairs out en masse, but it was painful and eventually I went back to tweezers.

Whatever works for you is best, but I wouldn't let my friends decide for me.

I used my epilady on my face as well, but as I removed the peachfuzz I started having more and more black hairs so I went back to the tweezers and it's better this way, although if I neglect it for too long I'll have to invest a good 15 minutes to remove all the hairs.

Stray_mind
December 20th, 2018, 03:03 PM
I'm the same, can't understand why some people focus so much on other's "imperfections", I guess it's something about being superficial that will make them see their own flaws a lot more, so it's sad for many reasons :/

I used my epilady on my face as well, but as I removed the peachfuzz I started having more and more black hairs so I went back to the tweezers and it's better this way, although if I neglect it for too long I'll have to invest a good 15 minutes to remove all the hairs.

It takes Extra kind of superficial to notice someone's peach fuzz or even Arm hairs (yeah, i don't shave my arms either, only legs in summer, since they have dark hair growing on them and i look like a hobbit with my hairy legs hahaha).

MusicalSpoons
December 20th, 2018, 03:23 PM
It takes Extra kind of superficial to notice someone's peach fuzz or even Arm hairs (yeah, i don't shave my arms either, only legs in summer, since they have dark hair growing on them and i look like a hobbit with my hairy legs hahaha).

I actually notice and take in lots of even tiny details, especially when I spend a reasonable amount of time with people (friends rather than acquaintances) - but I don't judge, and I certainly don't mention anything unless I'm asked. I'm of the view that it's all natural and it's just part of them :shrug: exceptionally warm to wear anything out of the house that even shows any leg! :grin: I often look at my leg hairs and hope the fact they are so long bodes well for my head :laugh: ]

illicitlizard
December 20th, 2018, 05:36 PM
I actually notice and take in lots of even tiny details, especially when I spend a reasonable amount of time with people (friends rather than acquaintances) - but I don't judge, and I certainly don't mention anything unless I'm asked. I'm of the view that it's all natural and it's just part of them :shrug: exceptionally warm to wear anything out of the house that even shows any leg! :grin: I often look at my leg hairs and hope the fact they are so long bodes well for my head :laugh: ]

Yep same, I notice but I'm not gonna be judging or even commenting. It's none of my damn business because it's not my body!!

This is as someone who sometimes removes the upper lip hair as well as legs, underarms, arms you name it! I'm a hairy lass with a healthy dose of societally induced shame about normal body hair (that shows I went through puberty so why am I trying to remove it is something I often ask myself).
At the same time, I sometimes give less of a heck and go out in summer hairy legs out because who cares? Usually, as the saying goes 'those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind'. At least that's how I try to see it.

Knightly
December 20th, 2018, 06:05 PM
It seems like peach fuzz to me, nothing out of the normal.
You could try making them lighter so they can't be seen as easily with H2O2, camomile tea, lemon or honey. There are some good body hair/ hair lightening recipes out there.

Or you could simply wax them off oooor tweeze those hairs that are darker.

Knightly
December 20th, 2018, 06:09 PM
I have PCOS so I'm really hairy, I have a s*** ton of hair on my 'beard' area so I just lighten them because, honestly, waxing that area HURTS SOOOO MUCH