PDA

View Full Version : What should I do about excessive shedding?

natural80
December 17th, 2018, 07:28 PM
My hair is shedding like crazy. If I touch it, it falls out. I have been growing my hair out for over a year now and gave myself trims a few times. In the past I was using sls shampoo, scurl activator (silicones), and Aussie Moist 3 minute conditioner. I don't have a problem with silicones. I still use the Aussie Moist 3 minute, but besides the Aussie Moist, I'm using sls free shampoo and moisturizer both from Shea Moisture. I've been shedding like this for 6 months. I don't take any vitamins. I exercise. My diet isn't the best. Any advice on how I should handle it? TIA!

kitcatsmeow
December 17th, 2018, 07:37 PM
I just had a huge shed from using a shea moisture conditioner. It took me a while to figure out what it was. Do you put the conditioner on your scalp? Shea moisture is wonderful and I use all their products I just happened to be sensitive to something in that particular conditioner.
The shampoo could also be the culprit. Did you notice it starting around the time you switched? Which products specifically are you using?

It could also be a number of other things. Stress, health/nutrition, new medication.

Cate36
December 17th, 2018, 07:46 PM
My Advice would be to check underlying causes.. go to the doctor and get a blood test and hormone test to see if there are any deficiencies ... I did this and found myself low on 3 vitamins that are all essential to hair growth... yet I felt fine!

Ophidian
December 17th, 2018, 09:47 PM
I don’t have much to add to the above since I’m in the process of trying to figure out this excess shedding thing myself, but I think starting with checking for any deficiencies as well as thyroid function is always a good idea if you are able to get to a doctor. Otherwise, taking a multivitamin is a step in the right direction if you aren’t already, as well as adding in some good “hair food” if and when you can (I’ve been enjoying smoothies lately at the advice of another member when I asked about my own hair loss - it’s a good way to get in at least one nutrient dense meal if you struggle with that). Other general things worth considering (mentioned above, I’m just seconding) are:
-Mental or physical stress (illness, etc)
-Meds
-Conditioner or oil on scalp (makes some people shed buckets, others no difference)
-Tight styles/rough handling/vigorous scalp massaging

Good luck, and lots of :grouphug:

lapushka
December 18th, 2018, 02:58 AM
My Advice would be to check underlying causes.. go to the doctor and get a blood test and hormone test to see if there are any deficiencies ... I did this and found myself low on 3 vitamins that are all essential to hair growth... yet I felt fine!

Yes, especially when your diet isn't the best, OP, the first thing to suffer is the hair! Even eating less than required or a monotone diet can wreak havoc and can be the only cause here. It is that far-reaching to have a bad diet.

I would get checked (blood test) for possible deficiencies.

victorian girl
December 18th, 2018, 03:24 AM
Check your thyroid hormones and - it's very important - antibodies. Especially, if you're also experiencing other weird stuff like fatigue, brain fog, lack of appetite... Your diet isn't the best in what way exactly?

ReptilianFeline
December 18th, 2018, 10:21 AM
Are you getting enough sleep? Do you snore?

I was tired and all that, and thought I had a thyroid problem. The blood test turned out nothing. But I pressed on. I said I wanted to know why I was so tired. I could't check all the boxes for sleep apnea, but it turns out lots of people can't. After a sleep test (at home in my own bed), it turned out that I had severe sleap apnea. That fixed (CPAP at night), I feel a lot better and so does my hair. I now have margines in my life again, and my shedding is at a minimum. I can take a bit of stress without having to worry. I'm not tossing and turning in bed either so there is limited wear on my hair at night.

Sorry for sounding like a commersial, but I feel so much better now it's crazy. Not sleeping properly can lead to a plethora of things, things your doctor will give you pills for, like high blood pressure, diabetes II, acid reflux, depression, and so on. If your blood work turnes up nothing, then check your sleep patterns.

natural80
December 18th, 2018, 12:09 PM
Thanks ladies for all your replies. I get enough sleep and I got checked for thyroid issues. Nothing found. I am stressed out a lot lately. Family stuff. I don't think it's the Shea Moisture because I haven't been using that long enough. I have only been using that for a week and I was using other stuff before then and my shedding was still bad. I was taking vitamins, but it caused me to break out. My doctor said it was nothing.

LittleHealthy
December 18th, 2018, 01:07 PM
Sometimes we go through a big period of shedding through the year anyway! Can even be delayed reaction to a trauma or stressful situation that you’ve been through, in the few months prior. I’m going through a lot of shedding now, as I had a baby 3 months ago. It takes a while for these stressful things to reach our hair. Good luck, hopefully it’s just a natural shed and that it eases soon.

kitcatsmeow
December 18th, 2018, 01:43 PM
I think the fact that she’s had excessive shedding for 6 months is more than just a post trauma she’s.

Basically everything that’s been said above though is a possibility. Everything can effect our hair! The hardest part is figuring it out so i would write all the possibilities down and start with what may be th most logical for you. For instance, you said your diet is n good and you started using natural products. Those would be two good things to investigate and check off first.

Cate36
December 18th, 2018, 02:43 PM
Thanks ladies for all your replies. I get enough sleep and I got checked for thyroid issues. Nothing found. I am stressed out a lot lately. Family stuff. I don't think it's the Shea Moisture because I haven't been using that long enough. I have only been using that for a week and I was using other stuff before then and my shedding was still bad. I was taking vitamins, but it caused me to break out. My doctor said it was nothing.

Have you asked your doctor to do a blood test for your hormones and vitamins.. if you read up on women's hair loss, a lot is caused my hormones being out of balance...

Arciela
December 18th, 2018, 03:38 PM
Yeah imbalanced hormones can cause shedding too. Mine were imbalanced for a long time and until we got things under control I was shedding a bit much. Since everything is okay now my hair is growing as it always was and I slowly got my normal thickness back.

natural80
December 18th, 2018, 04:42 PM
No, I haven't asked to be tested on hormones and vitamins. The funny thing is that my hair is thick. I have no bald spots. Thank God.

Cate36
December 18th, 2018, 04:50 PM
No, I haven't asked to be tested on hormones and vitamins. The funny thing is that my hair is thick. I have no bald spots. Thank God.

Maybe it is seasonal then... if it were me, I would get a good hair vitamin immediately that has silica, biotin, folate, iron etc in it.. a really high quality multi vit, and really assess diet... drinking a lot of water.. at least if there are any deficiencies, they will start to resolve in 3 months... xx

lapushka
December 18th, 2018, 05:06 PM
Maybe it is seasonal then... if it were me, I would get a good hair vitamin immediately that has silica, biotin, folate, iron etc in it.. a really high quality multi vit, and really assess diet... drinking a lot of water.. at least if there are any deficiencies, they will start to resolve in 3 months... xx

The thing is, if you have no deficiencies (it is always better to get it tested than to just "guess"), there really is no need to take extra stuff; you don't want to be making expensive pee. ;)

natural80
December 19th, 2018, 01:17 PM
You're right. ;) Thanks ladies!

natural80
December 23rd, 2018, 04:54 PM
Just an update. I know it hasn't really been long enough to see too much of a difference, but I have noticed less shedding. I did a little trim, started taking hair, nails, and skin vitamins, and using Shea Moisture Jbco leave-in, Shea Moisture (pink) shampoo, and Aussie Moist 2 minute deep conditioner. I noticed way less hairs coming out. I can tell probably better when I wash my hair again.