PDA

View Full Version : Flax seed gel

meganb990
November 4th, 2008, 01:25 PM
I am starting a thread on flax seed gel and the results anyone has experienced from using it. I made some flax seed gel today by boiling a cup or so of water and then adding a pantyhose knotted up with 2-4 tablespoons flax seed (the whole seed) inside. I let the mixture simmer till I get the consistency I like and then add to glass jar and let cool. I'm thinking about adding a few drops of my scented jojoba oil and essential oil blend from Wen. I am happy with the results and hope I can hear about everyone elses results. :D

mellie
November 4th, 2008, 01:53 PM
I used it a bit for a styling gel, it works nicely but makes my hair a bit "crunchy".

meganb990
November 4th, 2008, 04:02 PM
Ok thanks for the response!!

nayver
November 4th, 2008, 04:16 PM
I have used the flax seed gel several times and I really like it! With a few drops of any essential oil lasts forever. I keep it refrigerated and I can put as much as I want, everyday, morning, evening...:D

carloota
November 4th, 2008, 07:30 PM
I made some flax seed gel today by boiling a cup or so of water and then adding a pantyhose knotted up with 2-4 tablespoons flax seed (the whole seed) inside.
OMG I just posted on another thread that I have problems straining the flaxseeds out when I try to make this gel. I'm going to have to "borrow" this idea, because I really like how this gel works. I tried using one of those tea balls, but that didn't work very well. Thanks meganb990. :)

mira-chan
November 4th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I've used it a couple of times. Works better for me than Aloe gel, which does give me crunchy nasty hair. I don't wear my hair down much so I don't use the gel much. I don't need it for updos.

kwaniesiam
November 4th, 2008, 08:48 PM
I have a bag of flaxseeds for eating, are these the kind you're all using? I might have to try this.

meganb990
November 4th, 2008, 09:02 PM
Thank you all for your responses. Yes nayver I do enjoy the flaxseed gel very much as well. Carloota no problem I actually got the idea from a forum on naturally curly. com, trust me I made a big mess the time I tried before usingt the panty hose method ;). Mira-chan you have beautiful hair unfortunatly mine is not very long at long I wish I could pull mine up in a bun but due to the short length I can't so I'm trying to wait it out and be patient :o. Kwaniesiam yes I used the whole flaxseeds the ones you can eat.

meganb990
November 4th, 2008, 09:03 PM
I just saw a typo Mira-chan I meant to say my hair is not very long at all...woops.

mira-chan
November 5th, 2008, 12:08 AM
:) Thank you! I noticed that you hair type is similar to mine too. Yours will get the length you want soon, especially with LHC to detract you with new things to try. :D

I strained my flax seeds out with a metal tea mesh thing that you would holdover a cup. No problems and very little mess. I do the same with all of my herb mixes that need straining.

Eloa
November 5th, 2008, 03:59 PM
As soon as I've used up my Aloe Vera gel, I'm going to try this out... it's just way cheaper! (at least from my German point of view...:)) Flax seed gel has about the same qualities as Aloe Vera, right?

meganb990
November 5th, 2008, 08:53 PM
For me it gave control, shine, and a fairly firm hold.

morrsken
November 6th, 2008, 09:19 AM
I did this once when trying to do fingerwaves. I had a hard time separating the seeds after boiling it to a gel. I was using a metal strainer and I really had to try to force the gel through it. I think I will try the other methods written here if I do it again sometime. Now I don't use any styling at all regularly. Very rarely I use conventional spray or mousse, but I would rather have flax in my hair than chemical nastyness. I like the smell of the flax gel. It's soft and pleasant.

mellie
November 6th, 2008, 09:46 AM
Nayver helped me with that straining problem! The trick is to take it off the heat before it coagulates too much. Then it is still runny enough to go through your strainer easily!

longhairedfairy
November 6th, 2008, 08:24 PM
Can you do this with milled flax seed? That's all I have, but it is pretty oily.

mellie
November 7th, 2008, 06:55 AM
Hm, I don't see why not....give it a try!

Treecrown
November 7th, 2008, 07:28 AM
In my experience, ground flax seed will give you sort of flax mush/porridge--nice as a gentle facial scrub, but not suitable for hair (no way to strain out the little bits of seed) but it may depend on how you prepare it.

nayver
November 7th, 2008, 01:18 PM
Can you do this with milled flax seed? That's all I have, but it is pretty oily.

I don't think is a good idea. It is better with the entire seeds. (I don't know is this is the right word) Otherwise you will have like a mash and the residues will remain on your hair.

Aries_jb
November 8th, 2008, 08:49 PM
I tried this a long time ago and I remember liking it. In fact, I like it a lot more than aloe gel. I've tried aloe so many different ways, and I just can't get it to work right for when I leave my hair down. Luckily it works great for smoothing updos, but I love the idea of using a natural gel when my hair is down. Mmmm, flax gel with lavender EO...:).

kwaniesiam
November 8th, 2008, 09:26 PM
So how do you store this and how long does it keep for? I'm going to experiment next weekend, I should have used up all of my aloe gel by then.

mira-chan
November 8th, 2008, 09:33 PM
So how do you store this and how long does it keep for? I'm going to experiment next weekend, I should have used up all of my aloe gel by then.
I stored mine in the fridge. It was ok for about a week without any preservatives.

nayver
November 9th, 2008, 05:34 AM

You can add some EO of your choice. That will make it last for weeks. Keep it always in the fridge.

meganb990
November 10th, 2008, 07:56 PM
I keep mine in the fridge for a week or so.

Aries_jb
November 10th, 2008, 09:35 PM
How do you know when it has gone bad? Does it mold? Smell?

Samikha
November 11th, 2008, 03:25 AM
How do you know when it has gone bad? Does it mold? Smell?

My gel had a slight scent to it, but not much - I decided it had gone bad when the smell went sort of icky-sweetish. I can't really explain it, but if it happens you'll recognize it.

longhairedfairy
November 12th, 2008, 09:51 PM
I don't think is a good idea. It is better with the entire seeds. (I don't know is this is the right word) Otherwise you will have like a mash and the residues will remain on your hair.

Even if it's strained with nylon stockings? I don't want to have to try to get all those little bits out of my hair, lol.

nayver
November 13th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Even if it's strained with nylon stockings? I don't want to have to try to get all those little bits out of my hair, lol.

I've always used the entire seeds and have strained them with a regular strainer. Maybe the nylon stockings is a good idea, but you have to do it while the mix is still very hot and liquid.

ljkforu
November 13th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Thank you all for your responses. Yes nayver I do enjoy the flaxseed gel very much as well. Carloota no problem I actually got the idea from a forum on naturally curly. com, trust me I made a big mess the time I tried before usingt the panty hose method ;). Mira-chan you have beautiful hair unfortunatly mine is not very long at long I wish I could pull mine up in a bun but due to the short length I can't so I'm trying to wait it out and be patient :o. Kwaniesiam yes I used the whole flaxseeds the ones you can eat.
I've used Flax seed gel since the 80's, I copied an Aveda recipe. I think it is great to spike hair and such. Definately rivals commericial products. Let us know if the Jojoba drops eliminate the crunchy flakies.

ljkforu
November 13th, 2008, 02:34 AM
Use rosehip tea as the water and add a little vit E and you'll have natural preservatives.

Atlantic
January 29th, 2009, 01:32 PM
I am going to try making flax seed gel for the first time. I already have some brown linseed, but I noticed golden linseed in the shop as well. Is there any reason to prefer one over the other?

eche
February 11th, 2009, 12:47 PM
I'm a long time lurker but wanted to give you all my FSG recipe. I love this stuff! I use preservative so I can keep it in the shower but you can keep it in the fridge if you rather.

Ingredients:

1/4 C. Golden Flax Seed, whole seed, Golden are better than Brown
2 C. filtered water, don't like the impurities in my tap water
6-10 drops Grapefruit Seed Extract for preservative
1/8 tsp. Citric Acid for preservative (belt and suspenders)
1/4 tsp. Epsom Salt (magnesium sulfate) for curl definition
1/2 tsp. Honey for shine and curl hold
Essential oils for smell, if desired

Directions:

Place Flax Seed and water in a medium sized pan. It boils over easily so bigger is better. Boil on high/medium heat for about 6-8 minutes, stirring constantly, until gelatinous "strings" drip off your spoon. YMMV as far as boiling time goes, I like it thick so tend to boil it longer.

I use a French Press Pot to strain. I've tried other methods but this works really well for me. I pour the whole mix in the French Press, wait a bit for it to cool until warm, not cold though. Add Grapefruit Seed Extract, Citric Acid, Honey and Epsom salt. Whisk this all together. It's best to add the Honey while the mix is still warm as it's hard to mix in the Honey if the mix is cold. Compress veeeery slowly then pour into a squeeze bottle, about 4 oz. This recipe makes a varying amount depending on how long I let it boil. If I have extra I put it in a jar in the fridge.

I always freeze my used seed mix for another time. I can usually get 3 rounds out of 1/4 C. of seeds, it just takes longer to get the gel each time I boil it. I also never thaw the new mix, just pop it in new water and boil away.

I've only had this go bad in the shower once when I was new to FSG and just kept adding to my shower bottle. Yuck! Now I always clean it out before adding new FSG.

I absolutely LOVE my curls now. I only use two products (conditioner to wash/condition and FSG) because of this magic hair juice! It's definitely my HG! I hope this helps. YMMV for this whole recipe though. I did a lot of experimentation to get to this point after reading a lot of other people's experimentation over at the naturallycurly website.

My next experiment is to try soaking Marshmallow Root in water overnight and use that in place of regular water. It's supposed to give you more slip.

Atlantic
February 13th, 2009, 10:30 AM
This sounds really good - I will have to try it, and with golden linseed. Using grapefruit seed extract as a preservative sounds like a really good idea!

jel
February 13th, 2009, 11:13 AM
Your recipe sounds really good, Eche! Just a question - how much do you use on your hair? A few drops on the ends, a tablespoon, a handful scrunched through the length... ?

Oh, OK, another question! Do you use it on wet or dry hair?

Thanks.

Atlantic
June 22nd, 2009, 12:16 PM
I finally got around to trying this...and I am really impressed so far! When i made it on Saturday, I made an initial experiment by simply de-gooking my hands of the gel by wiping them across my dry hair. This produced one amazing hold. ;)

On Sunday, I was a little more civilised and applied a moderate amount to damp hair - just the 'canopy' over my scalp, to control my zillions of short ends. This held beautifully for hours. Better yet, when I finally had a chance to check in a mirror again, I was amazed at how that part of my hair had such shine and smoothness!

Soon, I am going to try applying FSG to the entire lengthm, letting it dry and combing it out....just to see how it does as a conditioner, rather than as setting gel.

Tanuki
August 10th, 2009, 08:33 PM
I just use 2 tablespoons flax seed per half cup water with a few drops of smell. It worked well for a guy who needs to gel his hair routinely for work

sibylla
August 11th, 2009, 06:05 AM
I sometimes use the oil for deep oil treatment. Itīs also good for my skin.

swirlytresses
August 18th, 2009, 11:16 AM
Just wanted to share. I've made flaxseed gel before but it usually comes out pretty runny, although I get good results in my hair. Today I was experimenting with a recipe I found at nc.com and did my own modifications....here are the results. I'm very happy with this batch!! It turned out the perfect consistency, very moisturizing and great hold!! It had a little crunch but I diffused my hair and scrunched a little and I'm soooo happy!! :D
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2976&pictureid=48213

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=2976&pictureid=48215

Tanuki
August 18th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Share this recipe. All my recipe generates is a kind of slime that I keep in the fridge and shudder every time i have to put it in. It's so gross sometimes

swirlytresses
August 18th, 2009, 11:54 AM
Share this recipe. All my recipe generates is a kind of slime that I keep in the fridge and shudder every time i have to put it in. It's so gross sometimes

I hope this is clear and not confusing. This makes a pretty good size batch. I filled two medium sized containers and a small 4 oz container (extra stored in freezer). Enjoy!

Flaxseed gel:

1 cup flaxseeds (I used golden)
5 cups water
pinch to 1/8 tsp salt (Sea salt or Epsom)

I placed the seeds in a knee high and tied a knot. Boil until thickened. You don't want it too thick....just about the consistency of egg whites.

In a bowl I mixed (with a wisk or handmixer works best):
*I found this works well. If you add the xanthan and citric acid to the gel directly, you will get clumps...so mix first with the oils and other ingredients and then add to your gel.

1 tsp. Xanthan gum
2 tsp. Jojoba oil (or oil of preference)
2 tsp. Honey (add here or in pan when you're through boiling)
1/4 c. Aloe vera gel
1 drop of Vitamin E
1 Tbsp. Glycerin
12 drops of Grapfruit seed extract (not oil) or CSE (citric seed extract)
1/8 tsp. citric acid
*Optional* 2 drops Rosemary oil, 3 drops Lavendar oil

Use the hand mixer to blend all the ingredients together well. This will also make your gel kind of foamy but will lessen when it cools completely.

This is the recipe that has worked best for me. You can adapt it to your own liking and according to what you have on hand. You can keep your gel in the refrigerator and freeze what you are not using. I keep mine in the bathroom and it has lasted over 2 weeks.

You will know when your gel gets bad, it will smell kind of like yeast. :(

Tanuki
August 18th, 2009, 12:00 PM
I don't even know where I'd get most of those ingredients, or for cheap.

Sounds like a good system, but I think I'll stick with the slime for now as it's relatively cheap and easy. It's got great hold too. part of the pull for me making my own product is that I know what's going into it, that it wont destroy my hair, and the money I save making it instead of buying it

swirlytresses
August 18th, 2009, 12:10 PM
I understand. It does seem like a lot of ingredients. I have picked up these items one at a time for making other hair products. It is so much cheaper in the long run to make your own. I like things simple too. A lot of these ingredients are not necessary and can be left out. I just prefer to add them to my recipe. Xanthan gum is a thickener and is not too expensive and made the difference when making flax gel. :)

Tanuki
August 18th, 2009, 12:23 PM
Where do you get it? Where do you get most of those ingredients?

swirlytresses
August 18th, 2009, 12:32 PM
Where do you get it? Where do you get most of those ingredients?

I've gotten most, if not all the ingredients at a health food store like Whole Foods or a local store. You can also look online. I've also found some stuff at walmart like the aloe vera gel (around $3) and the glycerin (around $2). There are also some oils (essential and fragrance) available from sellers at Etsy.com in various sizes.

Tanuki
August 18th, 2009, 09:15 PM
*strokes stubble* /:-| fascinating

sorraia
August 21st, 2009, 11:52 AM
Great Idea to encourage us to make our own home made Flax gel.
I've been wanting to do this for a couple of months now.
So I decided to make a unique flax gel that would have some added
conditioning properties and possibly darken brunette hair.

I call it "Sorraia's Cacao Nilla Hair Pudding for Brunettes"
I used the basic recipe above for cooking. However I didn't use the hose /stocking idea,
I don't know about cooking nylon or whatever hose is made out of?

Here is what i used:
1/2 C gold and 1/2 Dark Flax seeds
2 1/4 C Distilled Water
1 tsp Black Walnut Hull Powder
1/2 Vanilla Bean Pod (cracked open and placed in water with seeds)
Hand full of ground raw cacao nuts ( added to water with seeds)
Vit E (from 2 Vit E capsules added after it gelled)
1 small dribble of Black Strap molasses( added after the flax gel was taken off the heat)
1/2 tsp Citric Acid ( Added to water prior to boiling)
4 Drops Grapefruit Seed Extract
1/2 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 TLBS FOTEA ( However I would prefer to use chemical free Aloe)
7 drops PEO Tangerine

After I realized I forgot to add an oil to the recipe I added a
little Borage oil and Rosemary Extract for added preservation after it had
been refrigerated for couple of days. It didn't seem to hurt it.
I really like how the mixture turned out, it is dark brown in color, smells nice , however a little on the slimy side.
Holds my curls well.

sorraia
August 21st, 2009, 11:59 AM
OH yea...
I forgot to tell ya in the above recipe "Sorraia's Cacao Nilla Hair Pudding for Brunette's"
I through in one little Himalayan Rock crystal (1/2" in diamater) instead of epsom salt.

Heidi_234
September 15th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Hey, guys. I'm going to make my FSG soon enough. :) I think I'll start with the simple water+flax seed+EO recipe and go from there. I'm a little concerned about it going bad before I manage to use it up. Do you think Thyme EO will buy me few weeks? Can I keep it in the fridge between uses? Can I add conditioner (that has preservatives) and will it help?

mira-chan
September 15th, 2009, 10:33 AM
It should be kept in the fridge from when it is made. I've added Grape fruit extract with is a natural preservative and it didn't help much after a week. You can try conditioner but I'm not sure how well it will work with preservative being diluted and it may react with the ingredients in the conditioner over time.

Heidi_234
September 15th, 2009, 11:20 AM
Thanks Mira, storage directions weren't written anywhere. :) Did it last a week with the grapefruit extract in the fridge or outside it?

mira-chan
September 15th, 2009, 06:59 PM
Thanks Mira, storage directions weren't written anywhere. :) Did it last a week with the grapefruit extract in the fridge or outside it?
In the fridge. I did not even attempt to keep it out, especially as it was the hottest time of the summer the last time I used it. The grapefruit extract should have let it last longer in theory but didn't. maybe a stronger preservative would work.

QueenAnne'sLace
September 15th, 2009, 07:15 PM
My roommate made this when he had long hair as a deep conditioning treatment which he'd shower off before it hardened. He used to chase me around the house with it, calling it boogers!! :run:EW..

Did make his hair shiny though.

mira-chan
September 15th, 2009, 07:19 PM
My roommate made this when he had long hair as a deep conditioning treatment which he'd shower off before it hardened. He used to chase me around the house with it, calling it boogers!! :run:EW..

Did make his hair shiny though.
:rollin: It does have that slime/ snot consistency.

manething
September 15th, 2009, 07:36 PM
This is so exciting! I've never heard of this and can't wait to try it. All I have on hand are the milled seeds. I figure if it turns to mush, then I can at least use it as a wash-out moisture treatment. Where does one get grapefruit seed ext? I remember looking for it a few years ago without luck.
Yay! Can't wait....

MandaMom2Three
September 15th, 2009, 07:47 PM
I SO can't wait to try this!!!!

ravenreed
September 15th, 2009, 10:54 PM
My attempt got flaky right away. I have dark hair so it showed up really clearly. I added some aloe gel and may try again.

Heidi_234
September 16th, 2009, 12:05 AM
In the fridge. I did not even attempt to keep it out, especially as it was the hottest time of the summer the last time I used it. The grapefruit extract should have let it last longer in theory but didn't. maybe a stronger preservative would work.
Argh, not good! All I have is few EO's (thyme included) and neem oil (which is as stinky as it gets hehe). :?

mira-chan
September 16th, 2009, 06:21 AM
This is so exciting! I've never heard of this and can't wait to try it. All I have on hand are the milled seeds. I figure if it turns to mush, then I can at least use it as a wash-out moisture treatment. Where does one get grapefruit seed ext? I remember looking for it a few years ago without luck.
Yay! Can't wait....
I got my Grapefruit extract from FNWL (From nature with love) site. I'm not sure if they still have it though.

Argh, not good! All I have is few EO's (thyme included) and neem oil (which is as stinky as it gets hehe). :?
You can try the Thyme and see how it goes, or make smaller batches that you can use up faster.

I've smelled oils stinkier than Neem amazingly enough. KPN Neelibhringradi so far wins that one for me. :? :scared:

Heidi_234
September 16th, 2009, 06:32 AM
You can try the Thyme and see how it goes, or make smaller batches that you can use up faster.

I've smelled oils stinkier than Neem amazingly enough. KPN Neelibhringradi so far wins that one for me. :? :scared:
Well, the burnt tires smeared with peanut butter gone bad smell is still #1 in my list :rollin: I would not want my gel smelling like that heh. :scared:
If the thyme won't save me, then I suppose I will have to cook FSG every week or so...

swirlytresses
September 16th, 2009, 07:26 AM
Well, the burnt tires smeared with peanut butter gone bad smell is still #1 in my list :rollin: I would not want my gel smelling like that heh. :scared:
If the thyme won't save me, then I suppose I will have to cook FSG every week or so...

You can also freeze what you don't use right away. I bought my grapeseed extract at my local health store...I also add citric acid to mine. :)

Heidi_234
September 16th, 2009, 10:02 AM
You can also freeze what you don't use right away. I bought my grapeseed extract at my local health store...I also add citric acid to mine. :)
It's doesn't change anything if you freeze it (like meat that you should freeze after you unfreeze it for example)? That might be a good option.

swirlytresses
September 16th, 2009, 12:34 PM
I have some in the freezer now....I haven't actually tried it after it's been frozen but I've heard of a lot of people successfully using the gel after freezing it. :)

ZenBird07
September 16th, 2009, 12:50 PM
I heard about this!! Using it as a substitute for aloe vera... I've been trying to gather all my goodies for an SMT and couldn't get the aloe. Does anyone think that this would work right in an SMT??? I already have the FS and it would make this process a lot simpler for me if I could just make it... TIA to anyone that actually responds to me.:)

mira-chan
September 16th, 2009, 02:19 PM
I heard about this!! Using it as a substitute for aloe vera... I've been trying to gather all my goodies for an SMT and couldn't get the aloe. Does anyone think that this would work right in an SMT??? I already have the FS and it would make this process a lot simpler for me if I could just make it... TIA to anyone that actually responds to me.:)
I don't think anyone has tried it this way. Try it, tell us if it works. :D

ZenBird07
September 17th, 2009, 06:16 AM
I don't think anyone has tried it this way. Try it, tell us if it works. :D

Will do... Gonna mix it up and slather it all in when DS is asleep for his nappy today and probably rinse it out hours later when he's in bed for the night. I made the gel last night and it's sittin in the fridge with a lil bit of monoi in it for fragrance ( i also think there's preservatives in it -the monoi). Wish me luck...:)

ZenBird07
September 17th, 2009, 01:27 PM
Hair is still wet. VERY slippy, as if I used cones or something, which I don't -ever. Not frizzy at all which it usually is at this stage in the drying process. I not fuzzy t'all. Hmmmm... We shall see...:)

Whimsical wind
September 17th, 2009, 06:42 PM
I tried the nylon stocking thing - it just went all gooey in the stocking, and didn't transfer to the water in the saucepan. I really want to make flaxseed gel, but I don't know how to strain it properly. :confused:

ravenreed
September 17th, 2009, 07:30 PM
I have a cup sized metal strainer thingy that I used. I just poured it through there and let it drain for a bit. It worked just fine, except then I had a congealed lump of flax seeds to dispose of.

Heidi_234
September 18th, 2009, 12:01 AM
I have a cup sized metal strainer thingy that I used. I just poured it through there and let it drain for a bit. It worked just fine, except then I had a congealed lump of flax seeds to dispose of.
Yeap that was my experience too so far. By the way, I read that the seeds can be reused to make more FSG, did you know it?

ZenBird07
September 19th, 2009, 07:41 AM
I tried the nylon stocking thing - it just went all gooey in the stocking, and didn't transfer to the water in the saucepan. I really want to make flaxseed gel, but I don't know how to strain it properly. :confused:

This is what I did -it took some experimenting THAT I BARELY HAD TIME FOR- but here goes... I simmered in the pan, just the seeds and the water as if making rice.

And after much deliberation happened upon a CLEAN lonely old sock without a mate -because everyone's got one of those right?:) Cut off the cuff of the sock turned it inside out, put my goop in the sock and SQUEEZE;) like nobody's business.

Gel squirts out into re-used preserves jar and seeds stay safely in sock -as opposed to the other attempts where my squeezing through other less noble experiments resulted in explosive seed splattering that wound up on the wall across the kitchen.:o HTH

ZenBird07
September 19th, 2009, 07:45 AM
Good news! SMT works wonderfully with flaxseed gel if you can't get the aloe...:)

Whimsical wind
September 19th, 2009, 07:47 PM
Thanks for the straining tips. :D

CaityBear
January 6th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Has anybody found a good preservative yet? I would like to make this, but I don't think I would use it up that quickly...

halfbakedtulip
January 6th, 2010, 08:53 PM
All day I was considering starting a thread about flax seed gel :p

I tried it yesterday for the first time I like the way my hair looks with it...or should I say I LOVE the way my hair looks with it. BUT I have tangles...lots of them. My hair has never tangled before EVER!! I was cursing up a storm this morning when I ripped a huge chunk out trying to take my sleeping braid out. So unfortunately it will not be entering my hair again :S

wimitlee
January 13th, 2010, 04:35 AM
I love flax seed gel! It has better hold and shine for my hair than aloe vera gel.

ETA: Over time, my ends have gotten "crispy" like they do if they have too much protein. I think that since flax seed has protein, this is not for me. Now I have to moisturize my ends back again.

curly girl fla
January 13th, 2010, 09:48 AM
I've been using fsg again for a few months now, and I love it for the winter. I've been making enough to fill most of a 16oz. bottle, adding agave nectar, lavender and rosemary eos & keeping it refrigerated. This actually seems to stay good between 2 & 3 weeks. I think I would get about 1 week without refrigeration. I was going to look into a stronger preservative, but I find that I use so much of this stuff daily, that I don't need to extend the life of the larger batches I'm making.

LadyJennifer
January 18th, 2010, 03:20 PM

Are you referring to grapefruit seed extract? I saw it the other day at our Whole Foods, and I got mine off of Vitacost dot com.

LadyJennifer
January 18th, 2010, 03:21 PM
I've been using fsg again for a few months now, and I love it for the winter. I've been making enough to fill most of a 16oz. bottle, adding agave nectar, lavender and rosemary eos & keeping it refrigerated. This actually seems to stay good between 2 & 3 weeks. I think I would get about 1 week without refrigeration. I was going to look into a stronger preservative, but I find that I use so much of this stuff daily, that I don't need to extend the life of the larger batches I'm making.
why agave nectar? what does it do?

LadyJennifer
January 18th, 2010, 03:23 PM
Good news! SMT works wonderfully with flaxseed gel if you can't get the aloe...:)

Thanks for updating!

LadyJennifer
January 18th, 2010, 06:26 PM
I just made some FSG using the recipe Eche provided (thanks!), except I subbed the honey for agave nectar, and added 1/4 tsp of virgin coconut oil. I added rosemary and lemongrass eo and it smells wonderful! I just boiled for 10-15 min and poured it through a mesh seive while still very hot, added other ingredients, then poured into a 8oz bottle. I still had some left, so I applied to my hair, my hubby's, my dd's, and even my 6 month-old's! Lol. It feels great in my hair (definitely curl-activating) and looks awesome! Very shiny:) I have dark hair, and no white flakes either! I love it!

Magelet33
February 3rd, 2010, 10:02 PM
After reading this thread, I'm going to break out the flaxseeds, make some gel, and use it tomarrow. Let's hope it works!

CareBear
January 30th, 2011, 08:58 AM
I am researching preservatives as we speak :) and I will let you all know what I find out!
FYI: grapefruit seed extract and vitamin e are antioxidants which will extend the shelf life of oils (prevent rancidity) but will do nothing to prevent the growth of nasties. Only preservatives will do that, and there are really no natural preservatives. Some years ago a company was claiming grapefruit seed extract was a preservative, but they were adding a preservative to the extract themselves. :mad:
As soon as I figure out what will work, I will let you all know, as well as where to find it. :D

Neecola
February 2nd, 2011, 09:45 AM
I use the recipe the OP posted from naturallycurly.com The creator of the recipe suggested to use a small amount of leave-in or something to give it "slip" I use the Giovanni leave-in (not too many undesirable ingredients) just before using the gel and have been very happy with it.

I don't use it all that often anymore because of the short shelf life so I am looking forward to the preservative suggestions.

FrizzBall
February 2nd, 2011, 09:03 PM
I've been using mine but all I had was grounded flaxseeds so the mixture was a bit grainy. It's really slimy though and my hair absorbs it unlike other gels that makes it stiff.

mneh
February 7th, 2011, 03:55 PM
I am researching preservatives as we speak :) and I will let you all know what I find out!
FYI: grapefruit seed extract and vitamin e are antioxidants which will extend the shelf life of oils (prevent rancidity) but will do nothing to prevent the growth of nasties. Only preservatives will do that, and there are really no natural preservatives. Some years ago a company was claiming grapefruit seed extract was a preservative, but they were adding a preservative to the extract themselves. :mad:
As soon as I figure out what will work, I will let you all know, as well as where to find it. :D

I'm looking forward to preservative suggestions too. Currently, I make a big batch of FSG and freeze it into portions that contain enough gel for 2-3 days. I feel happy enough to leave the FSG in my bathroom, without preservative, for that short length of time - it's easy to defrost a new portion of gel as required. However, I would like to be able to take my homemade gel on holiday with me, so I need something that will make my gel safe to use during 1-2 weeks without refrigeration.

I don't fully trust GSE and/or antiseptic EOs as sufficient to preserve my homemade products (as even though I try to be very clean when making my FSG I'm not able to work in conditions of maximum sterility that a commercial manufacturer can achieve) so I was wondering if Aromantic's Preservative 12 would be suitable for preserving FSG - does anyone have any thoughts on that?

Upside Down
March 8th, 2011, 10:42 AM
Just to bump the thread with another question:
What is the consistensy you get? Cause, I made some FSG (with just flax seeds boiled in water), and it works pretty great regarding texture and hold, but, it is a bit hard to distribute as it is not really a gel, more like a very thin almost liquid gellyish thing that just wants to stay in one peace, when I put my finger in the bowl and pull out, it takes almost the whole ammount with it :)

Maybe someone can help, more boiling, less boiling, adding something to it?

mneh
March 9th, 2011, 11:20 AM
Just to bump the thread with another question:
What is the consistensy you get? Cause, I made some FSG (with just flax seeds boiled in water), and it works pretty great regarding texture and hold, but, it is a bit hard to distribute as it is not really a gel, more like a very thin almost liquid gellyish thing that just wants to stay in one peace, when I put my finger in the bowl and pull out, it takes almost the whole ammount with it :)

Maybe someone can help, more boiling, less boiling, adding something to it?

I find that my FSG is quite runny so I store it in a flip top bottle which means i can pour puddles of gel into my hand as needed. I rub it on the palms of my hands and then smooth it on my hair in sections, I find that makes it easier to apply. If I want a thicker gel I increase the amount of flax seeds by 1 tablespoon.

Hope this info helps :)

Upside Down
March 9th, 2011, 01:06 PM
Thanks, mneh!

I guess I made it too thick then. I was afraid it would have no effect if runny...
But it does give good hold on the curls! My hair looked good enough to be worn down even on the third day after wash...!

proo
March 9th, 2011, 03:01 PM
Does anyone shampoo with this? I've heard of it, never tried it.

mneh
March 11th, 2011, 11:00 AM
Does anyone shampoo with this? I've heard of it, never tried it.

I once put far, far too much FSG in my hair and my hair dried to a rigid state :D I had to rinse out the gel and it left my hair feeling wonderfully soft - it's not exactly shampooing with FSG but I thought I'd mention it :)

Mesmerise
March 13th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I have been experimenting with FSG a bit for the past few days... I made up a new batch today. I tried to make it fairly dilute and put it in an old spray bottle, but it didn't spray out well (sort of streamed rather than sprayed), so now I'm trying to make it thicker and then apply it like a gel. I will see how it goes!

Slinks
March 14th, 2011, 03:11 PM
Use rosehip tea as the water and add a little vit E and you'll have natural preservatives.

Great idea :-)

dfotw
March 20th, 2011, 04:05 PM
Alright, I gave this a try at last.

I made a small batch. Put 3 tablespoons of flax seeds in a cup of water, boiled until thick, put through a metal sieve, added three drops of Lavender EO, put in a condiment bottle, and in the fridge.

I washed my hair at night, scrunched in some of the gel, put it in my sleep cap and went off to bed. The next morning, I had great curls (which means more curl-shrinkage, unfortunately! :rolleyes:) which held through a day at the park with my hair down. Zero crunchiness, good hold and really curl-activating!

I then came back home and decided to do a SMT with this gel (I don't have aloe and, anyway, it never worked very well with my hair). In it went and though it made the whole mix a lot more slippery and slimy than Aloe gel, it worked surprisingly well: my hair is very smooth and soft and slippery!

So, I'm sold onto this. I saved the seeds from my test batch and froze them, and will try to coax another batch out of them this week.

I never used gel because a) I'd need a ton for all my hair and it's expensive and b) it left my hair feeling crunchy and unnatural, but flax seed gel has none of this problems!

Thanks to everyone for the recipes and tips, they really helped! :flower:

Cirafly24
April 3rd, 2011, 11:17 PM
All I had was milled flax seed...so I tried it with 3 T flax in a mesh bag, to 2 cups water. I boiled it for probably close to 30 minutes, because it wasn't thickening. I thought it was a bust, but I poured it into a jar anyway, and added a teaspoon of honey and 5 drops of sweet orange EO. After it cooled off a little, it's still pretty runny, but it's starting to thicken. I stuck the pouch of flax goop in the freezer, in case this works and I can reuse it. I'm getting in the shower now, will update with results :)

ETA: Update- when I got out of the shower, the gel had solidified a bit more, so I could easily scrunch it in...my hair is now plopped on top of my head under a towel. This is my first try at this, so my fingers are crossed!

ETA2: Update- my waves are well formed and shiny...bottom line: even when milled, flax seed still makes good gel :D

Whimsical wind
April 22nd, 2011, 08:02 PM
I've already commented in this thread about my falxseed gel failing (couldn't strain it), but I've been thinking about making some, so I've been reading about ways to strain it properly. I see some people have been using a french press. I had no idea what that was, so I googled it. Turns out I have one in my cupboard, but I know it as a coffee plunger. I wonder if my dad will let me borrow it to make gel...

ETA: Ok, so I tried the coffee plunger trick. Didn't really work for me, I got about half the gel but I couldn't strain the rest...

Red_Rose
April 23rd, 2011, 08:34 AM
Alright, I gave this a try at last.

I made a small batch. Put 3 tablespoons of flax seeds in a cup of water, boiled until thick, put through a metal sieve, added three drops of Lavender EO, put in a condiment bottle, and in the fridge.

I washed my hair at night, scrunched in some of the gel, put it in my sleep cap and went off to bed. The next morning, I had great curls (which means more curl-shrinkage, unfortunately! :rolleyes:) which held through a day at the park with my hair down. Zero crunchiness, good hold and really curl-activating!

I then came back home and decided to do a SMT with this gel (I don't have aloe and, anyway, it never worked very well with my hair). In it went and though it made the whole mix a lot more slippery and slimy than Aloe gel, it worked surprisingly well: my hair is very smooth and soft and slippery!

So, I'm sold onto this. I saved the seeds from my test batch and froze them, and will try to coax another batch out of them this week.

I never used gel because a) I'd need a ton for all my hair and it's expensive and b) it left my hair feeling crunchy and unnatural, but flax seed gel has none of this problems!

Thanks to everyone for the recipes and tips, they really helped! :flower:

Thank you for posting this! Someone on this site suggested flaxseed gel to me the other day and after reading how it worked out for you, I'm now going to give it a try!

The reason I never wanted to try a gel is because of the same reason you had. It makes the hair feel hard and crunchy. I'll continue on through the thread to see how others like to prepare this gel.:)

Cleopatra18
April 23rd, 2011, 04:45 PM
I've already commented in this thread about my falxseed gel failing (couldn't strain it), but I've been thinking about making some, so I've been reading about ways to strain it properly. I see some people have been using a french press. I had no idea what that was, so I googled it. Turns out I have one in my cupboard, but I know it as a coffee plunger. I wonder if my dad will let me borrow it to make gel...

ETA: Ok, so I tried the coffee plunger trick. Didn't really work for me, I got about half the gel but I couldn't strain the rest...
I never made flax seed gel before but I always use knee highs to strain any herbal stuff.Don't know if this will be helpful to you but just thought I'd share,it's really easy.

RetroKitten
April 25th, 2011, 06:20 PM
I used flaxseed gel for the first time yesterday (well, I tried out "flaxseed water" :D over a year ago) and it didn't work well.
While showering I put gel on my whole length, let it sit there for a few minutes and then shampooed. The shampoo I am currently using is very mild, so it doesn't lather that well, but combinated with the gel on my hair it lathered really well. My hair felt great white rinsining everything out, soft and moistured like it does with a good conditioner, but as I stepped out of the shower and now that my hair has dried for several hours it seemed and still seems very brittle.
Do you think I could have used to much and let it sit in my hair for too long?

Whimsical wind
April 26th, 2011, 07:23 PM
I just wanted to report back and say that my hair loves this stuff. I mixed it with a few drops of rosehip and rosemary oil and I'm keeping it in the fridge. It doesn't seem to work much as a gel, though, but it has been keeping the dry flakies at bay and my hair is so silky. My skin seems to like it too.

ETA: Also no fly-aways.

Mesmerise
April 26th, 2011, 08:42 PM

Ahh I see it didn't work well for you, but I am so going to try this anyway! I have tried strainign through a fine strainer (difficult as the strainer is very small), using a nut milk bag (not perfect), using pantyhose (again not perfect)... so errm I've decided there probably IS not perfect, but I never thought of using a plunger!! So... I will try this now! (As if I have nothing better to do with my time than make flax seed gel :rolleyes:).

Okay... LOL didn't work for me either!! I pushed the plunger pretty hard and some little flax seeds spurted up the sides :rolleyes: so yeah... errm... I'm trying pantyhose again! I used the last of my flaxseeds too :( I'll have to get some more and do a little more experimenting.

Red_Rose
April 27th, 2011, 09:24 AM
I've read that some people use natural preservatives in their gels to make it last longer. What are some natural preservatives that can be used and where can they be bought? Also, if you use a preservative, do you still have to keep the gel in the refrigerator?

TiaKitty
April 27th, 2011, 06:16 PM
I made a test batch tonight.

I added some benzoin absolute to see if that may be enough of a preservative. I just put in a drop or two.

I also added some citric acid, about 1/8 of a teaspoonful to 2 cups of water.

I'll be keeping it on my bathroom counter, where it's about 70 degrees most of the time.

Let's see if the benzoin is effective!

CareBear
April 27th, 2011, 08:46 PM
There really is no such thing as a 'natural' preservative. There are natural things that will extend the life of oils by delaying rancidity, but that isn't the issue when it comes to flaxseed gel. You might be ok unpreserved for a couple of days, but eventually those nasties will start growing, even if you can't see them. I am thinking germaben, which is used in lotions and specifically formulations with water. http://www.brambleberry.com/Germaben-Preservative-P3972.aspx
But to be comfortable I am going to contact the company and ask them.

cameronscurls
April 29th, 2011, 08:45 AM
i love flaxseed gel but having to keep it in the fridge all the time is a pain, im also looking for a natural preservative.. hmm

PolarCathy
April 29th, 2011, 09:36 AM
i love flaxseed gel but having to keep it in the fridge all the time is a pain, im also looking for a natural preservative.. hmm

I freeze mine in 1 ice cube tray. Then I just take out one cube every evening and it's ready by next morning. (Or I microwave it when I need it.)
You can add tea tree oil as preservative.

Quahatundightu
April 29th, 2011, 04:45 PM
Are there any commercially made FSG? I enjoyed making it myself but I don't really have the time to do it very often. I have been using "Big Tease" gel by Lush which contains FSG extract but also a lot more things too. I like it but not sure it is quite so elastic a gel as plain FSG. Any recommendations?

PolarCathy
April 30th, 2011, 12:49 AM
Are there any commercially made FSG? I enjoyed making it myself but I don't really have the time to do it very often. I have been using "Big Tease" gel by Lush which contains FSG extract but also a lot more things too. I like it but not sure it is quite so elastic a gel as plain FSG. Any recommendations?

Yes, make a bigger amount and try freezing it. (NO IDK about any commercial FSGs.)

CareBear
April 30th, 2011, 07:05 AM
Alright guys, here's a great link about why we should use preservatives in our homemade formulas. It really isn't something that should be taken lightly. Really! If you are dead set against them, do what PolarCathy does and freeze individual amounts. You REALLY don't want contaminated product. It is baaad news.
http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2010/10/preservatives-what-can-get-into-our.html

Here's another link, with pics!
http://soap-queen.blogspot.com/2008/09/when-mold-strikes.html

And yet another link
http://swiftcraftymonkey.blogspot.com/2010/10/preservatives.html With a great analogy about leaving a cup of tea out for a couple of days

PolarCathy
April 30th, 2011, 07:16 AM
Clove essential oil just like tea tree oil is antiseptic and antifungal but IDK whether hair likes it.

CareBear
April 30th, 2011, 07:36 AM
I saw via google that aveda makes a flaxseed/aloe gel, however it has cones in it.

TiaKitty
April 30th, 2011, 10:18 AM
Well, I don't have anything to add on the preservative tip, but...

I LOVE the effect of the FSG on my hair, so far.

Yesterday I took a shower, had damp hair, and did a cursory damp bun, topping my canopy of flyaway new growth with FSG. I added a dollop to the length, as well.

After quite a few hours, I had NO flyaways. None. It was almost eerie. I've never experienced that before.

So far, after sleeping on it in double English braids, my canopy is still somewhat under control.

I'll have to give it another test and wash my hair and add the FSG as an after treatment and see how it works with my curls and the new-growth canopy hairs. That will be the real test, the air-dry...

It still smells okay and doesn't seem to be problematic, yet... Just now reading the articles posted by CareBear, though, so I may wind up sticking that puppy into the fridge!!!

ETA: Okay, so sticking it in the fridge at this point is moot. It's been out for so long it's already a petri dish, if it is one. Harumph. I just wonder about the danger of this... Really, I'm not putting it on my skin or scalp, even. Just my hair... Time to put on my thinking cap for this one.

CareBear
April 30th, 2011, 11:58 AM
TiaKitty,
Maybe we should ask swiftcraftymonkey to play with flaxseed gel and see what she comes up with. I am frustrated because I haven't found any info that says what preservative to use. Even the recipe on fromnaturewithlove doesn't say. (which bugs me because although they say they aren't responsible for the recipes it seems wrong to put them out there for people to use without at least making sure people aren't going to get sick from them) But I digress.
I admit to being a tad (ok maybe alot!) on the soapbox about this, but that is just because I CARE! There is so much info out there, a lot of it misleading and some of it downright false. It can be hard to know what to believe. Better safe than sorry, but that is just my opinion! Huh, maybe I will write to her, and at least ask what the best preservative would be. I have some gel that's several months old, no visible mold growth, not sure if I used the right preservative, but I can't know for sure unless I send it to a lab to be tested. And that is just way too expensive. Which is probably why no one out there has info for us to find.

Whimsical wind
April 30th, 2011, 08:13 PM
In regard to preservatives; what about adding vinegar?

Lollipop
May 8th, 2011, 09:59 AM

There are three that I know of. Jessicurl has one, Oyin has one, and there is a seller frome naturallycurly.com that sells hers on etsy. These options are pretty pricey. Oyin doesn't label it as FSG, but that is the "base". I can't remember what it's called. The etsy seller's username is BoticelliBabe, and I believe her store is boticelli botanicals.

mneh
May 8th, 2011, 03:27 PM
I freeze mine in 1 ice cube tray. Then I just take out one cube every evening and it's ready by next morning. (Or I microwave it when I need it.)

Clever idea! I already freeze my gel in batches of 50mls. I'd use that in about 3 days and that's as long as I feel comfortable with leaving the product in my bathroom without a proper preservative. But this idea is even better as I can really tailor the amount I defrost and use :)

I just wish I had wide-spectrum, effective, and safe preservative to use so I could bring FSG on holiday with me. I don't trust essential oils and citric acid to provide this preservative effect.

K_Angel
May 18th, 2011, 05:39 AM
I was reading on Wikipedia that flax seed has protein in it.

"One hundred grams of ground flax seed supplies about 450 kilocalories, 41 grams of fat, 28 grams of fiber, and 20 grams of protein."
So, if I"m not too math challenged here, the protein would equal 20% of the gel?

So, since I'm ok with small amounts of protein, would that be too much protein for my hair? On bottles of Conditioner if it's not too high on the list I'm ok, but if there's too much my hair turns into a fried mess.

Anyway, hope someone can help me figure this out.

Thanks! :blossom:

mneh
May 18th, 2011, 05:55 AM

"One hundred grams of ground flax seed supplies about 450 kilocalories, 41 grams of fat, 28 grams of fiber, and 20 grams of protein."
So, if I"m not too math challenged here, the protein would equal 20% of the gel?

So, since I'm ok with small amounts of protein, would that be too much protein for my hair? On bottles of Conditioner if it's not too high on the list I'm ok, but if there's too much my hair turns into a fried mess.

I have thick, coarse hair that dislikes protein in large amounts. I've had that fried mess experience you describe and I know it's not fun.

However, my hair has no difficulties with FSG, I've been using it for months without any negative effects, in fact, I think my hair really likes FSG and behaves much better when I apply lots of the gel.

My recipe is 2Tbsp seeds to 250mls water, 1/4 tsp Epsom salt, 1/4 tsp citric acid, 1/2 tsp honey, 1/2 tsp aloe vera gel, sweet orange & lemon essential oils for a nice smell.

The above would normally give me about 150mls of FSG; I freeze it in 50ml batches and defrost it as needed. 50mls would last me about 3 days (I wash my hair every day).

K_Angel
May 18th, 2011, 06:02 AM
I have thick, coarse hair that dislikes protein in large amounts. I've had that fried mess experience you describe and I know it's not fun.

However, my hair has no difficulties with FSG, I've been using it for months without any negative effects, in fact, I think my hair really likes FSG and behaves much better when I apply lots of the gel.

My recipe is 2Tbsp seeds to 250mls water, 1/4 tsp Epsom salt, 1/4 tsp citric acid, 1/2 tsp honey, 1/2 tsp aloe vera gel, sweet orange & lemon essential oils for a nice smell.

The above would normally give me about 150mls of FSG; I freeze it in 50ml batches and defrost it as needed. 50mls would last me about 3 days (I wash my hair every day).

Oh it's good to hear from someone that's experienced the "fried mess" reaction from protein! Cool! I think I'll have to try it then. I'll have to find some, hope our local store carries it. :)

K_Angel
May 18th, 2011, 06:03 AM
While I was googling about flax seed gel to determine if it had protein in it or not I found a visual representation of how to cook it on a blog. Here is the URL:

http://suddensilence.wordpress.com/2011/03/16/how-to-make-flax-seed-gel-for-curly-hair/

mneh
May 18th, 2011, 06:07 AM
Oh it's good to hear from someone that's experienced the "fried mess" reaction from protein! Cool! I think I'll have to try it then. I'll have to find some, hope our local store carries it. :)

I generally buy my flax seeds from eBay, although I've found un-milled seeds in my local supermarket in their tiny health food section.

In my early days of growing my hair I tried a deep conditioning treatment with eggs AND mayonnaise - my hair was like straw for weeks. I learned the hard way that my hair doesn't need much protein lol.

Mesmerise
May 18th, 2011, 06:08 AM

I am no expert, but I'd say that the gel doesn't actually contain much in the way of protein, it's probably actually formed from the high fiber content of the seed. When I make my FSG the seeds stay whole, so whatever is causing the gel is water soluble and is leaching from the seed as it boils... and my guess is that it's the fiber rather than protein or fat. After all, the gel certainly isn't "oily" so it's not the fat portion, and I'd say the mucilaginous texture of the gel would come from a soluble fiber.

I could be wrong about this, however that is what strikes me as the logical explanation!

K_Angel
May 18th, 2011, 06:30 AM
I am no expert, but I'd say that the gel doesn't actually contain much in the way of protein, it's probably actually formed from the high fiber content of the seed. When I make my FSG the seeds stay whole, so whatever is causing the gel is water soluble and is leaching from the seed as it boils... and my guess is that it's the fiber rather than protein or fat. After all, the gel certainly isn't "oily" so it's not the fat portion, and I'd say the mucilaginous texture of the gel would come from a soluble fiber.

I could be wrong about this, however that is what strikes me as the logical explanation!

Yes, I see your point. The 20% would only be if one ate the whole flax seed. But what happens when you boil it is a different byproduct, right?

So, while it is not going to produce a protein free gel, it would be impossible to calculate how much of it seeps into the water (well without testing it in a lab, I mean. ;) ).

Ok, so making a batch and testing it is the only way to see if it has too much protein in it for my hair. :hmm:

PolarCathy
June 5th, 2011, 03:36 AM
Has any1 tried making FSG with amla tea/concoction? FSG is good, amla rinse is good... I expect my hair to curl better with this. Haven't tried yet, just brainstorming, really..

PolarCathy
June 5th, 2011, 03:42 AM
(...) so I could bring FSG on holiday with me. I don't trust essential oils and citric acid to provide this preservative effect.

Depends on how long those holidays are, because you don't really need to cook the whole thing, you can as well just soak the seeds overnight in the hotel room and strain it next morning. You could do that every second day I would think (if you meant tenting or a canoe trip that's another story, it would be messy, haha). :D :D :D

lunasea
September 23rd, 2015, 10:12 PM
Meteor turned me on to flax seed gel a while back and I love it. In spite of this, I stopped using it for a while because I had one batch turn out with really thick stringy lumps in the middle surrounded by watery goo. I usually make a big batch and freeze it in ice cube trays so that I can pull out a little at a time as I need it. And, in general, I've noticed that the stuff seems to be gooey and stringy. This made me kind of dread putting it on- even though it makes my hair softer and more manageable. After thinking about it for a couple weeks I got out my Cuisinart Power Stick and whipped the last bunch that I thawed out into a frenzy. Viola! Awesome success! Everything blended together and it's much easier to work with! So happy; just had to share.

meteor
September 25th, 2015, 11:45 AM
^ Thanks a lot for the great tip, lunasea! :thumbsup: That's great stuff! :D
I think that's a pretty cool trick to use with various texture problems - for example, with home treatments combining oil-based and water-based ingredients, or if somebody likes to add aloe vera or shea/cocoa butter or something to their leave-ins, sometimes you might need to whip or use a blender to get to that nice, blended, easy-to-use texture. And anything with fibers or grit will be much easier to wash off later if it was well blended. :)

poli
July 18th, 2016, 03:33 AM
I used flax seed gel first time and it is great leave-in :) not much hold or change in texture but hair feels really hydrated and super soft.
:magic:

DreamingFlowers
January 5th, 2017, 08:29 PM
For people who use flax seed gel regularly, can it hold your waves or keep down frizz for more than one day? Do you have to wash your hair more often if you use a natural gel like this daily? I'm going to be making this soon, thank you all for sharing your recipes!

Obsidian
January 6th, 2017, 07:41 AM
How much of the gel do you all use on your hair? I made some awhile back but only used it a couple times.
It made my hair soft but it was still frizzy and kind of dull looking. I used about 1/2 tsp for cbl

dvep
March 5th, 2017, 11:36 PM
I have my first batch of flaxseed gel sitting in my damp hair and am too eager to see the results! I'm trying it mostly for its moisturizing benefits, though I am a curly girl and am looking forward to possibly making my curls last longer between washes.

dvep
March 7th, 2017, 12:04 AM
THIS STUFF IS A GODSEND!

I sooooo needed that moisture and I'm so grateful to this community for suggesting it to me. Flaxseed gel forever!

shaluwm_agape
March 5th, 2018, 01:04 AM
reviving this thread I love this stuff not only is it great for the hair on your head but can help grow out your brows & lashes can be used as a mascara and is AMAZING for nails

Reservechic
September 1st, 2018, 10:26 PM
I do happen of be a HUGE lover of flaxseed gel, for styling my naturally curly hair with, but, it is of course a gel that can be used on any type of hair as we all know, for any desired purpose. I get mines pre-made from CurlMix, because I know that I would never be able to master making such by scratch at home ever. CurlMix's pure flaxseed gel has a special preservative that actually allows for it to stay fresh for up to a year. It is of a milky white consistency, however, a little bit actually does go along way with this stuff. A lot of people think that due to it's milky consistency that they have to use a lot, but over usage of flaxseed gel can make ones hair very crunchy of course and give ones hair no enable shrinkage, which is why, I learned not to be heavy handed with this stuff, also, because it comes in an 8 oz. bottle and due to it's consistency, I didn't want to use up almost 2/4 of it in one use. Because, it is on the pricey side, and I like for my coins to stretch a long way, especially when it comes to expensive products. I can be very handed, but with this stuff that's a no-go. I learned through trial and error to tailor the amounts that work best for my hair, and simply work with that. On wash day, it us recommended that you apply the flaxseed gel into very soaking wet hair, which is something that I had already been doing for years with my stylers, on my wash days, so I was totally fine with that. To refresh my hair throughout the week with this stuff, I just re-apply a bit more to my dry hair in the mornings, and it doesn't flake up or cake up ever. As, stretching my hair for days, w/o re-applying any more product is something that has never been feasible for me, and that's even with my sleeping with a satin bonnet at night on. On and yes, CurlMix's flaxseed does provide a firm hold, that is long-lasting. To get a lesser of a hold, and to add more moisture, that's where the Avocado Moisturizer comes in, for it to be applied first, and then the flaxseed gel over that.

For all of those like me who are interested in trying pure flaxseed gel, but aren't ready to take that plunge to make it at home, then I highly recommend going to curlmix.com out. They don't just sell pure flaxseed gel, but they also sell a Avocado Moisturizer, Hair and Body Butter, and Hair Regrowth serum. They do offer their products in different scents to choose from including "Fragrance Free". Right now, they are celebrating their birthday this weekend, so you can get 20% all orders made this weekend, using the discount code: birthday

However, here's a 20% off discount code that I personally use whenever I choose to order, anytime year round from CurlMix (it doesn't expire): Madcurls

(F.Y.I. the Madcurls discount code is not affiliated with me in any way)

lapushka
September 2nd, 2018, 07:14 AM
However, here's a 20% off discount code that I personally use whenever I choose to order, anytime year round from CurlMix (it doesn't expire): Madcurls

(F.Y.I. the Madcurls discount code is not affiliated with me in any way)

I saw that code on their latest video recently, and the best thing is you can keep using it multiple times; it is like a code that runs on.

priinnz
September 9th, 2018, 10:08 PM
Hi just a quick question, any help would be appreciated.

Can flaxseed gel be made with ground flaxseeds too?
I tried adding warm water to some ground flaxseed powder I have, but it did not appear to thicken at all. :(

Reluctantlylong
May 26th, 2019, 04:32 AM
It needs to boil

TiffPhares
August 22nd, 2019, 12:11 PM
This stuff is my Holy Grail Product. I have 2c/3a hair and it works to not only tame frizz, it also is a great curl activator. I make mine weekly so I've not had a batch go rancid on me.

Helleborus
March 6th, 2021, 08:08 AM
Has anyone ever tried this for eyebrow gel???

CrazyGrace
November 4th, 2021, 10:23 AM
I made some flax seed gel on Tuesday and used it. My hair had been super frizzy the last few weeks, so I was getting desperate. I used just a tad fresh off the stove - any that got on my hands went straight into my hair - and my hair seemed to like it, so I washed and gelled in the shower, and then left it in a t-shirt for a while. It's now Thursday, and I've got actual curl definition and no stiffness or greasy feeling. It's still frizzing a bit, but nothing like it was. I might moisten with a spray bottle and then apply a little bit more before church tonight. I'll report back if it continues to improve.

Wendyp
November 4th, 2021, 05:04 PM
I'm back using it too. Not sure why I stopped but it was helping me b4. Also using catnip tea. Using both daily and it's helping with moisture.

Noetsie
November 26th, 2021, 12:31 AM
I love using flaxseed gel as a setting lotion for pincurls, it makes my hair pretty shiny and works well with the brush out involved in vintage hair :)

Wendyp
November 29th, 2021, 06:15 AM
Hi just a quick question, any help would be appreciated.

Can flaxseed gel be made with ground flaxseeds too?
I tried adding warm water to some ground flaxseed powder I have, but it did not appear to thicken at all. :(

I did it once with ground, but I used boiling water.

Cyclamen
January 21st, 2022, 01:40 PM
How long exactly do I need to boil the seeds? Does it matter if the seeds are old? Last time I tried the seeds wouldn't budge.

Wendyp
January 23rd, 2022, 07:00 AM
Farah dhukai has a bunch of videos about flax seed gel. She's on ig too but here's the fb video. She adds glycerine to it tho so I'm sure that adds to the moisturizing effect.

https://fb.watch/aJ5-5riplm/

knobbly
January 23rd, 2022, 08:09 AM
Sorry this thread is so long I’m gonna ask in a new post even though this could definitely be answered somewhere in it:

I want to streamline my FSG process and would like to buy a wire strainer just for FSG. I’ve used strainers in the past and have had mixed results i.e. sometimes it doesn’t strain and you have to just push it through with a spoon or use pantyhose or similar. Anyway I’d like to avoid that and just use the proper size holed strainer. Any idea which I should buy? I’m not interested in a super super thick gel, I’d like to be able to easily squeeze it out of a squeezy bottle.

Abacus
January 26th, 2022, 11:06 PM
I use flax seed gel every time that I style! I love it. I was using eco styler gel for ages but when I made a commitment to only use things on my hair that are actively good for it, flax seed gel was what I landed on as my primary styler. I boil 1/2 cup flaxseeds in 2 or 3 cups water, strain with cheesecloth, and usually add ylang ylang essential oil.

Things I love about it: Excellent hold for my curls; I feel like a witch making potions when I make it; It makes my hair really really really strong (it's kind of a protein treatment!) my hair has become insanely powerfully strong since I started using it a few months ago, like I can take a strand and stretch it a bunch of times before it breaks; I also like that it's easy to revive my curls throughout the week after only styling once -- when I spritz my hair with water, the gel sort of reactivates and I can shake my head and everything comes back to life. This has allowed me to cut down on the number of times I need to shampoo or cowash.

Things I don't love about it: sometimes I get a little flakey residue after it dries and I scrunch my hair to break the gel cast. But it's never so bad that I want to stop using it. I'm also wondering if my hair is TOO strong now, and that this is too much protein on my low porosity hair.

Here is my hair 3 days after styling with FSG, and my curls are still defined. This would have been unheard of for me with other kinds of gel.
https://i.postimg.cc/RhXzqs98/IMG-20220126-162652495.jpg

Cyclamen
January 29th, 2022, 06:09 PM
Abacus, your hair 😍

Priska
July 3rd, 2023, 10:11 AM
Has anybody been using flaxseed gel as a moisturizing hair mask, rinsing it away? I did this long time ago (together with fenugreek seeds) and the result was very good. I just don't remember how i made this, and now recently i made it one time only rinsing with water and another time rinsing with co-wash. Both times my hair was left partly crunchy. If i wash it carefully with shampoo and conditioner, is there anything left after the whole treatment after that? Or does anybody has any other advices?

Priska
July 3rd, 2023, 11:29 AM
Actually now that i remember i think i mixed the flaxseed gel with conditioner. Maybe I'll try that.
That still left my hair crunchy. Next time I'll shampoo & condition this treatment away.

yvainee
August 3rd, 2023, 10:10 AM
I love using Flaxseed gel as a mask! I usually apply it on slightly damp hair and afterwards use a gentle shampoo and that's enough for me to get it out. I have no experience with Fenungreek maybe that makes it harder to wash out?

MrsMirandaSmith
September 5th, 2023, 08:32 AM
HELLO :agree: OK i love flax seed gel. i do not use regular gel and because i am a curly haired bestie i need gel to control my curlies:wethree::love:. sometimes i do get that crunchy texture but usually i don't. i have a very specific hair care routine..... i use some kind of leave in or just plain conditioner then i soak my hair in rosemary water including my scalp and then i take two drops of peppermint oil rubbed between my palms and massage into my scalp ... then i add my flax seed gel and slightly scrunch my hair and leave air dry ... i have grown my hair an inch .. maybe even more than that actually! :applause:applause in just over two weeks. this is definitely not for everyone tho because a lot of people can be allergic to peppermint oil BUT there are alternative to the peppermint oil which i have also tried and they work as well .... also i make my rosemary water homemade also:stirpot: .... still trying to figure out a homemade moisturizer not sure if anyone knows how to make that .....

GrazierGirl
January 9th, 2024, 11:58 AM
I love, love, :heart FSG! I have fine, medium hair. I put FSG in damp hair. I use FSG to slick crown when bunning.

maborosi
April 11th, 2024, 08:47 PM
Heya, anyone want to chime in (especially curlies) on their experiences with Flaxseed versus aloe vera gel(AVG)?

We've been doing CG with my husband's hair and I usually apply aloe vera gel as one of the last steps after we do LOC, but I'm wondering if flaxseed gel is a better option? He has F/3B hair and it's pretty thirsty. The AVG seems to help tame his curls a bit (helps them 'clump') but I'm wondering if we should be open to other gel types!

curly girl fla
April 12th, 2024, 03:41 PM
AVG, even directly from my plants, makes my hair (and skin) dry. I know I'm in the minority on this one. But I love flax seed gel. I don't make it often enough, but it clumps curls and stops frizz. It works best for me when I just do it simple-water, flax seeds, that is all. No additives. I freeze some in squeeze bottles, and leave one in the fridge to use. I feel like I really can't apply too much, so one less thing to worry about.