PDA

View Full Version : Help for fine hair

Eireann
December 17th, 2018, 11:08 AM
I am growing out my natural color after covering the gray with henna and indigo for the last few years (before that it was conventional dye). I like that the henna/indigo gave my fine hair body, but I am excited to see how I look with long virgin hair. Does anyone have tips on ways to add body to fine hair? Thanks in advance.

Ylva
December 17th, 2018, 11:17 AM
It is unfortunately a thing that long, fine hair tends to be a bit lacking in the volume department. I know this is not helpful, but maybe it helps to know that it's not uncommon. I am a fine/medium mix and have absolutely no volume at the root. I've heard that some salt sprays can add body, I think they're called texturising sprays or something? But I have no experience of them and to be fair they sound a bit drying, so I wouldn't be keen on testing them either.

Sorry I can't be of any use here, just thought to add my two cents. :)

Eireann
December 17th, 2018, 11:20 AM
Thanks! I will try a salt spray.

Angelica
December 17th, 2018, 11:26 AM
I have lived with fine thin hair all my life. Hair that never grew up one hairdresser termed it as! When I was young, I had perms and that was really the only way I had body in my hair if I wished to wear it loose. I then turned to mousse and wearing my hair up. More recently I had it cut into a bob and have now got a fringe. I love long hair but my hair never grew to the great lengths that I would really like. French braids and pleats do look nice on fine hair though and when you take them out you will have a wave. I still use mousse or volume shampoos and conditioners and now that my hair has had a good cut I am liking it more. You have ii hair so body shouldn't be that much of a problem for you. Happy growing xxxxx

elsiedeluxe
December 17th, 2018, 11:36 AM
Drying it upside down works, but it's very temporary. I air dry my hair (have for years) so I tend to flop it back and forth over the center as it dries. I get a tiny bit of body at the crown this way, but it's gone by evening. At longer lengths, I make a topknot as it dries, and then I get a little bit of volume at the roots and some bun waves when it's down. Again, temporary.

I think the best approach for this problem is to make peace with it. One thing that helped me is that my sister-in-law, who has fine hair that is outrageously thick, so thick that she gets headaches, is envious of my thin hair. Seeing it the way she sees it helped me accept my flat, silky hair and even enjoy it for what it does, rather than wish it did something it can't.

MusicalSpoons
December 17th, 2018, 01:40 PM
I discovered life and body in my hair when I went silicone- and sulphate-free (I think it was the silicones that really made the difference though).

A few possible ideas:
Do you have a natural parting? If so, you could try drying it with your parting in a different places.
Tiny claw clips to hold bits of canopy hair up but slightly loose to create some volume
Airdrying overnight with it draped over the pillow ('above' your head)
Washing / combing upside-down (combing upside-down gave me the most apparent volume at the scalp for buns).

There's no guarantee any of those would work for you, or even that you could try them (if you hair is prone to tangling, for example) but just some ideas in case anything is of any use :)

Edit to add: nothing worked hugely for me - I currently still dry overnight over my pillow, and my hair naturally has *some* volume (as already stated, only since cone-free). However when I bun it after combing straight down it loses everything; combing upside-down started to aggravate my ends so I stopped. I have made peace with the fact my hair isn't naturally voluminous and bouncy :grin:

lakhesis
December 17th, 2018, 01:47 PM
I used to use those volumizing powders, now just for special occasions because I don't really like how it makes my hair feel (I didn't care before as my hair was really unhealthy, now I can feel the difference :) )

I can recommend this one from got2be, it's cheap and it lasts forever as little goes a long way...
https://www.ocado.com/productImages/232/232154011_0_640x640.jpg?identifier=5a8a2ecfb91e84f e2c33675d3d915bf8

AmaryllisRed
December 17th, 2018, 02:19 PM
My hair is very fine. I find that a Dutch braid overnight adds lots of volume.

lapushka
December 17th, 2018, 02:21 PM
Drying it upside down works, but it's very temporary. I air dry my hair (have for years) so I tend to flop it back and forth over the center as it dries. I get a tiny bit of body at the crown this way, but it's gone by evening. At longer lengths, I make a topknot as it dries, and then I get a little bit of volume at the roots and some bun waves when it's down. Again, temporary.

I think the best approach for this problem is to make peace with it. One thing that helped me is that my sister-in-law, who has fine hair that is outrageously thick, so thick that she gets headaches, is envious of my thin hair. Seeing it the way she sees it helped me accept my flat, silky hair and even enjoy it for what it does, rather than wish it did something it can't.

Since I have been using a diffuser and leaving out my own texture, I have found that my F hair got more body. It still goes a little flat at the root (and you can probably see that in my signature), but it's gotten better.

Maybe try a diffuser! Each section goes up to the head/scalp and that really helps!

Arciela
December 17th, 2018, 02:38 PM
My sister has fine, thin hair and she uses the olaplex shampoo and conditioner and said it makes her hair feel thicker/stronger :) Nothing super amazing but she said it makes a difference! Another thing you can try of course is washing upside down and drying upside down to add volume..she does that as well.

Cate36
December 17th, 2018, 02:43 PM
Really research the volume powders.. some are more natural and light weight than others, and they do really work to add body at volume.. same as a dry shampoo does, but not as sticky and you can keep it away from the scalp..

Alissalocks
December 19th, 2018, 08:02 AM
If I dry it in a bun, I'll get body from the waves it makes and since my hair is thin and fine, it doesn't take terribly long to dry even when wrapped. I also rope braid my hair and that adds a different kind of wave.

Powder on the roots, especially between washes like a dry shampoo, adds some lift at the root on those between days.

Badfurday
December 21st, 2018, 03:28 AM
I actually find combing my hair forwards after a CO wash and wrapping it up in a towel gives the front a lot more volume than products do for me. As products tend to weigh down my hair, although I haven't tried sea salt spray yet, but I am loathed too as I'm worried about the dry Ness.

Then again, I get enough volume from the above drying method for me.

HTH & Good luck!

Badfurday
December 21st, 2018, 03:30 AM
Oooh! Also seconding dry shampoo on day 2.

elfynity
December 21st, 2018, 11:34 AM
I found through my WO journey that very dirty hair powdered with cornstarch with a blush brush all over my hair added tons of volume.