PDA

View Full Version : Help picking the right level mousse for certain curly hair type.

Margarita
December 16th, 2018, 01:20 PM
I bought a hair mouse from Garnier Fructis for curls at level 4, which means really strong hold. My natural hair is not curly as it seems in photos, my actual natural is loose waves with lot of frizz. My hair in general curls very good using that mousse. But, theres an neverending problem.Frizz in small sections. I know it sounds strange i get upset by frizz but i dont know enough what to suppose. My hair got longer. I noticed that, my hair tends to frizz worse on products which makes hair smoother and silky. I had a mousse level 5, it curled my hair quite nice but, it was sticky when i wet some small sections that was frizzy. My hair ends are quite thick, although in general lines my hair is very fine, almost see-through. I also bought a new conditoner from Pantene 'defined curls'. In general lines, my hair keeps being frizzy no matter what or no matter i use the best products in market. I guess frizz is just the nature that cant stop. :rolleyes:
Your opinions or your experiences with various hair mousses? :)

cjk
December 16th, 2018, 02:12 PM
Curly Girl addresses frizz in multiple ways, most notably moisture and a gel cast. Is there a reason you want a mousse, specifically?

In the US an inexpensive favorite is LA Looks blue gel. Cheap and amazingly effective. Surely something comparable is available where you are, too.

lapushka
December 16th, 2018, 02:56 PM
A certain amount of frizz is perfectly normal. It's not about the hold of the mousse at all. You can't get rid of all frizz, not even with good styling products.

I would try a leave-in or curl cream + gel, and see if you fare better with that. Do mix the leave-in or curl cream with the gel in the palm of your hand before applying to your hair. If it curdles 9 out of 10 it's gonna flake, and that means the cream and gel won't mix well.

If you prefer mousse, it's up to you. But I would not get a stronger hold unless you want crunch.

Alibran
December 16th, 2018, 02:56 PM
If you really want to get rid of frizz and have defined curls, Curly Girl is the way to go for most people. There's a big FaceBook group that's very helpful, with over 200k members.

Personally, I don't get on with mousse at all; it just makes my hair fluffy and sticky. I've used gel a bit, and it does give me defined curls on wash day, but it's a mess when I try to refresh. My best results are from just using conditioner, sometimes with a bit of pure aloe gel.

lapushka
December 16th, 2018, 04:31 PM
If you really want to get rid of frizz and have defined curls, Curly Girl is the way to go for most people. There's a big FaceBook group that's very helpful, with over 200k members.

Personally, I don't get on with mousse at all; it just makes my hair fluffy and sticky. I've used gel a bit, and it does give me defined curls on wash day, but it's a mess when I try to refresh. My best results are from just using conditioner, sometimes with a bit of pure aloe gel.

I tried CG and it didn't take all my frizz either. Maybe that's just me.

Margarita
December 17th, 2018, 12:29 AM
Curly Girl method is a big no for my hair, my hair gets greasy easily, and i have to add shampoo because my roots get oily and flaky. The only good hair styling product is mousse, cremes do not work exactly for me. Thanks for your help!

Alibran
December 17th, 2018, 03:54 AM
I tried CG and it didn't take all my frizz either. Maybe that's just me.

'Trying' it doesn't. The only way to get results is to commit to sticking with it until you do. One of the members in our FB group just posted her 3 year update - she's only recently become consistently frizz free. Also learning which of the many different techniques work for your hair.

But I said 'most people', so I already had you covered :)

lapushka
December 17th, 2018, 04:24 AM
'Trying' it doesn't. The only way to get results is to commit to sticking with it until you do. One of the members in our FB group just posted her 3 year update - she's only recently become consistently frizz free. Also learning which of the many different techniques work for your hair.

But I said 'most people', so I already had you covered :)

That's a daring statement, not knowing how long I tried it for. ;)

I tried it months and it didn't work, also my SD flared so I had to stop. It doesn't take frizz for me. And I doubt every bit of frizz can be managed. You only have to sleep on your hair once and... there you go.

lithostoic
December 17th, 2018, 03:45 PM
Which technique do you use to apply the mousse? I find if I rake my fingers through my hair it causes frizz, so I use the "praying hands method".

Margarita
December 19th, 2018, 12:31 PM
Which technique do you use to apply the mousse? I find if I rake my fingers through my hair it causes frizz, so I use the "praying hands method".

Oh, i comb my hair with my fingers, and then scrunch. Maybe im gonna try first the "praying hands method".

nycelle
December 19th, 2018, 12:39 PM
I agree that CG works. Frizz can be controlled with enough hydration, but it takes time, patience and finding the products and techniques that work for each person. There's no miracle product out there that addresses frizz, and gives defined curls for longer than a few hours.

I'm not sure what being CG has to do with your hair getting oily quicker? That happens when you're not using the right products, but not because of CG.

cjk
December 19th, 2018, 01:06 PM
When this many of us, all curlies, are giving you the same information and sharing our successes...that should say something.

By the way, having gone back and re-read your original post I noticed something. You mentioned even using the best or most expensive products. That stuck out to me.

Individual effectiveness is more important than cost. The key is not just looking at the price tag, but det raining whether the product works effectively for your hair.

Curly Girl has a huge following, and for good reason. Curiously, the cheapest products can sometimes be the best. I know availability varies, regionally, but in the US there are inexpensive brands like v05 and Suave that are highly praised.

lapushka
December 19th, 2018, 01:26 PM
Curly Girl has a huge following, and for good reason. Curiously, the cheapest products can sometimes be the best. I know availability varies, regionally, but in the US there are inexpensive brands like v05 and Suave that are highly praised.

Nevertheless it doesn't work for everybody; some of us do "about" the same thing, the same general idea but still use silicones, still use sulfates and fare just fine. I am one of them. It doesn't have to be a "strict" code or anything, as long as you follow some general guidelines, like wet detangling, etc. I think that's the most key one in fact.

cjk
December 19th, 2018, 02:08 PM
It doesn't have to be a "strict" code or anything, as long as you follow some general guidelines, like wet detangling, etc. I think that's the most key one in fact.

Exactly! There is the curly girl approach, and the cg "approved" products list.

It's not a checklist. How much time have we spent figuring out our hair? I said it earlier, find what works for you personally.

I use products much heavier than would be considered acceptable, yet I have great results. Like you I'm not pure curly girl.

But I am a curly.

But we're getting away from my point. Far too often we see people confusing price with suitability. If they use a more expensive product, their results will be better.

Not always, and not necessarily.

lapushka
December 19th, 2018, 04:51 PM
Agree with you on the cost of products, cjk. Right up my alley in fact. It doesn't have to cost an arm & a leg to be good!

Margarita
December 20th, 2018, 04:54 AM
When this many of us, all curlies, are giving you the same information and sharing our successes...that should say something.

By the way, having gone back and re-read your original post I noticed something. You mentioned even using the best or most expensive products. That stuck out to me.

Individual effectiveness is more important than cost. The key is not just looking at the price tag, but det raining whether the product works effectively for your hair.

When did i said i choose to use the best or most expensive products? This is nonsense. The new hair mousse i brought, was recommended by a friend who she is a professional. It costed around 5 euros. Even if i wanted to buy 1 or 2 expensive products it would the reason because i would love to experiement around with products and know what works on me. They would be 1 or 2. My certain small hair care storage is not any treasure i can buy the most expensive products. Im against buying very expensive products, even if its makeup or for hair care. Im a professional, and i have learned how to wisely buy products. And for the last time, CG method doesnt work for me.

lapushka
December 20th, 2018, 07:26 AM
When did i said i choose to use the best or most expensive products? This is nonsense. The new hair mousse i brought, was recommended by a friend who she is a professional. It costed around 5 euros. Even if i wanted to buy 1 or 2 expensive products it would the reason because i would love to experiement around with products and know what works on me. They would be 1 or 2. My certain small hair care storage is not any treasure i can buy the most expensive products. Im against buying very expensive products, even if its makeup or for hair care. Im a professional, and i have learned how to wisey buy products. And for the last time, CG method doesnt work for me.

Can I ask how come? For me it doesn't work either, but in your case... why?

Margarita
December 20th, 2018, 07:45 AM
Can I ask how come? For me it doesn't work either, but in your case... why?

As for CG, i dont know. I dont think its the fault of my conditioner. However my conditioner is designed for curly hair. I havent tried the CG method with that conditioner because i wash my hair every 3-4 days and i can say it gets greasy with flakes on it, and i need shampoo. I have also thin hair so...it doesnt work.

lapushka
December 20th, 2018, 07:50 AM
As for CG, i dont know. I dont think its the fault of my conditioner. However my conditioner is designed for curly hair. I havent tried the CG method with that conditioner because i wash my hair every 3-4 days and i can say it gets greasy with flakes on it, and i need shampoo. I have also thin hair so...it doesnt work.

I have SD (seborrheic dermatitis)... I know what you mean. I need to cleanse properly as well. Have you tried double conditioning to get more moisture in your hair? The method is WCC and is described in my link. It might help you with frizz as well.

Margarita
December 20th, 2018, 08:17 AM
I have SD (seborrheic dermatitis)... I know what you mean. I need to cleanse properly as well. Have you tried double conditioning to get more moisture in your hair? The method is WCC and is described in my link. It might help you with frizz as well.

Double conditioning? Hmmmm, you're giving me ideas! I will try it in my next wash. Honestly, the only kind of frizz im having issues fighting is the frizz on my ends. I trim every 3-5 months, take good care of it. But as i said in the start, my natural is really frizzy and wavy. Im gonna double condition and add the mousse more carefully. Do you believe that "praying hands method" and then scrunch will help a bit more? Cause im usually combing my hair with my fingers :confused:

lapushka
December 20th, 2018, 10:23 AM
Double conditioning? Hmmmm, you're giving me ideas! I will try it in my next wash. Honestly, the only kind of frizz im having issues fighting is the frizz on my ends. I trim every 3-5 months, take good care of it. But as i said in the start, my natural is really frizzy and wavy. Im gonna double condition and add the mousse more carefully. Do you believe that "praying hands method" and then scrunch will help a bit more? Cause im usually combing my hair with my fingers :confused:

The method has been around here for a few years already. ;)

Maybe try 2 lighter conditioners or a heavy + a light one for your first "try". You also want to find a nice balance between no frizz and not weighing the hair down too much.

I have no idea. I would keep doing what you have been doing and try the method out first, to see if that alone doesn't make it different for you. Don't try 2 things at once. ;)

Alibran
December 20th, 2018, 03:04 PM
However my conditioner is designed for curly hair.

Conditioners that are marketed for curly hair are often not actually good for curly hair. They're rarely hydrating enough.

Alibran
December 20th, 2018, 03:22 PM
That's a daring statement, not knowing how long I tried it for. ;)

Not that daring, since you said months, and I don't know anyone who's been doing it less than a year who can claim zero frizz. The transition phase, where hair gets worse before it gets better, takes months for some.

And I doubt every bit of frizz can be managed. You only have to sleep on your hair once and... there you go.

This is why I pineapple my hair to sleep. I take it out of the pineapple in the morning, gravity does its thing, and the overnight frizz vanishes underneath. I could minimise it by sleeping on a satin pillowcase or wearing a buff, but I like my soft, cotton pillowcases more than I care about invisible frizz.

I don't think anyone is in a position to say CG 'doesn't work' unless they've given every technique and ingredient combination a fair trial, which would take years because there are so many. There's nothing wrong with saying you chose different hair and scalp care methods because you prefer them. (And I know you have SD. I also know of people with professionally diagnosed SD who suffered with it until they found the right CG products to make it work for them. I'm certainly not criticising you for not doing that - I doubt I'd do it either - but they're evidence that it can work for people with SD and other scalp conditions.)

lapushka
December 20th, 2018, 04:04 PM
(And I know you have SD. I also know of people with professionally diagnosed SD who suffered with it until they found the right CG products to make it work for them. I'm certainly not criticising you for not doing that - I doubt I'd do it either - but they're evidence that it can work for people with SD and other scalp conditions.)

Mine was also professionally diagnosed (otherwise how would I know I have SD, right?) ;) But still it took me literally *years* before discovering that sulfates work for me.

It is often a struggle in and of itself to find something that works, so I'm not knocking anyone that uses other methods, whatever works!

I personally don't think you have to "try" CG for a year / years to see what it does and if it in fact works for you or not. I think you can tell after a shorter while already. Double conditioning does more for me than CG ever did. And the LOC/LCO method + the oil rinse! It is a winning set for me.

Margarita
December 21st, 2018, 01:02 AM
Conditioners that are marketed for curly hair are often not actually good for curly hair. They're rarely hydrating enough.

Really? The conditioner i have for curly hair makes my hair really soft though. I have noticed a bit a better moisture but as always my hair will continue to frizz no matter what.

Alibran
December 21st, 2018, 04:20 AM
Mine was also professionally diagnosed (otherwise how would I know I have SD, right?) ;)

I wasn't saying you don't. I was preempting the question of whether they're sure that's what it is, since I'm sure we all know people who claim all kinds of conditions that they don't actually have.

Alibran
December 21st, 2018, 04:29 AM
Really? The conditioner i have for curly hair makes my hair really soft though. I have noticed a bit a better moisture but as always my hair will continue to frizz no matter what.

My experience is that most frizz is caused by lack of hydration. If your hair starts out looking good, but gradually starts to develop frizz throughout the day, that's a sign that it needs more moisture, so it's absorbing it from the air. Deep conditioning helps to prevent it, as well as using the most suitable leave-in products for your hair, which might include a sealing oil in humid conditions.

Another thing that looks like frizz is a kind of spiderweb look that happens immediately after washing, and you can often see it even when the hair is wet. That's usually caused by protein overload (which is also fixed by adding moisture) or product/hard water build up (which is fixed by clarifying if you're following the CG method - if you use shampoo, you can remove hard water build up either with an acidic rinse or chelating shampoo).

Straw like hair that doesn't hold its curl is usually damage and lack of hydration, and needs both protein and moisture to correct it.

lapushka
December 21st, 2018, 05:28 AM
I wasn't saying you don't. I was preempting the question of whether they're sure that's what it is, since I'm sure we all know people who claim all kinds of conditions that they don't actually have.

Yes, true that! :)

Margarita
December 21st, 2018, 07:31 AM
My experience is that most frizz is caused by lack of hydration. If your hair starts out looking good, but gradually starts to develop frizz throughout the day, that's a sign that it needs more moisture, so it's absorbing it from the air. Deep conditioning helps to prevent it, as well as using the most suitable leave-in products for your hair, which might include a sealing oil in humid conditions.

Another thing that looks like frizz is a kind of spiderweb look that happens immediately after washing, and you can often see it even when the hair is wet. That's usually caused by protein overload (which is also fixed by adding moisture) or product/hard water build up (which is fixed by clarifying if you're following the CG method - if you use shampoo, you can remove hard water build up either with an acidic rinse or chelating shampoo).

Straw like hair that doesn't hold its curl is usually damage and lack of hydration, and needs both protein and moisture to correct it.

I just noticed recently since my last wash, my hair experience some kind of bad hair day crisis. We have hard water but happens for my hair to look really good even for 4 days! The only reason i will co-wash will be when i have a heavy bad hair day and my curls look awful and my whole hair look thinner. I noticed that oils,cremes, etc doesnt help exactly to make my hair look good. I need products like mousse that can HOLD my curls for a long time, and i also sleep with my hair down(oops.). Im starting to think thats my hair length's fault. You see, i reached 18'. Which means, my hair is very thin, have naturally frizzy wavy hair, and being that long, well yassss those 2 or 3 things doesnt combine well hehe. My hair were always a lot better when it is short, it looks thicker, curls better, frizz less, etc. In my family genes, no one's hair looks glamorous when its that long lol. At this time, i have the longest hair i ever had. And i want to grow my hair even even more. I have huge trouble with my nape hair. Loose and wavy nape hair is the number one cause of starting having a bad hair day. No matter what i do, they dont curl for a long time.

Spiderweb? I think i havent noticed it at all when its wet :p

I always prefer to use natural hair products, but i guess the one i have now seduced me haha :wigtongue