PDA

View Full Version : Can hair texture change after a drastic cut?

Knightly
December 16th, 2018, 01:11 AM
I've always had this doubt.... I have this cousin, lets call her Lisa, she used to have stick straight hair, like SUPER straight but she got sick of it so she chopped it off almost completely and as it grew it became afro-like, i mean really, really, REALLY curly, and that's always intrigued me, since I've seen that happen a lot to some family members.
Please share your thoughts and experiences
:D

Dendra
December 16th, 2018, 02:42 AM
How old was your cousin when this happened? This happened to my friend Joe too, he shaved his straight hair off and it grew back as ringlets which have remained ever since. He was roughly 14 at the time, so I might put this down to natural adolescent hair texture changes.

Milady_DeWinter
December 16th, 2018, 02:48 AM
I has 1c hair until my teens, when it changed to 3a . My mom, after chemo, had 3b hair for 1 year ( she has 1b hair), but now it's straight again. Texture can change a lot naturally over the teen years or stay the same :)

Dendra
December 16th, 2018, 02:49 AM
I has 1c hair until my teens, when it changed to 3a . My mom, after chemo, had 3b hair for 1 year ( she has 1b hair), but now it's straight again. Texture can change a lot naturally over the teen years or stay the same :)

Same with mine - her hair was amazing! She had strong curls and waves, which she hated at first and now misses :)

lapushka
December 16th, 2018, 03:49 AM
I had slick, smooth 1b'ish hair. Then all of a sudden it started to fuzz up and I ended up with a 2b/c texture.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 16th, 2018, 04:14 AM
I had slick, smooth 1b'ish hair. Then all of a sudden it started to fuzz up and I ended up with a 2b/c texture.

Did you miss your old texture?

ravenskey
December 16th, 2018, 04:41 AM
I used to have 1a hair when I was very little, it started going more 1a/1b, and then when puberty hit it changed totally. Unfortunately, I can't say exactly what it became because I continued to treat it like straight hair which meant it was just frizz until I found LHC. Either way, it is now 2b/2c - very different from when I was younger.

lapushka
December 16th, 2018, 04:52 AM
Did you miss your old texture?

At that time, yes. Very much so! For me, my hair fell out in chunks (bald patches), and then it grew back in with that wavy frizz to it. In my year 8 picture I look like I have a fuzzy mullet "mat" on my head in my class picture. LOL! I was growing out a pixie at the time.

Now? Not anymore, not since my 30s when I learned how to deal with the changes in texture (curly girl, etc.).

Elly May
December 16th, 2018, 05:55 AM
When I turned 50 almost 2 years ago, it was like I walked through a door and my body changed. My health tanked for no apparent reason, and my stick straight hair is now growing in wavy, particularly in the back. I think that if I cut it from between classic and FTL to something like BSL, I would see a lot more of the wave--tempting, but I don't want to lose the length. So yes, mine has definitely changed.

Xlena
December 16th, 2018, 07:18 AM
Hair can change during your life. Mine was 1a/1b when I was little, then during my teens and my crazy hormones it became something like 2b, then it went back to 1b. My brother's hair was 1a when he was a kid, really really straight, but during his teens he had 2b/2c hair and now his hair is more like a 1c/2a xD

maria_asa
December 16th, 2018, 07:42 AM
Hair texture can definitelly change during life but NOT from a cut.

lapushka
December 16th, 2018, 08:30 AM
Yes, maybe she straightened it or blew it out before, and after her "big chop" is now letting the texture grow in. You never know. That's why people generally do "big chops".

lithostoic
December 16th, 2018, 08:51 AM
I've heard adults say in the past, oh I don't want to cut my baby's hair yet, because they will lose their curls. And in my experience many babies do lose their curls after their first haircut. I don't know why this is.

Hairkay
December 19th, 2018, 04:01 PM
I've heard adults say in the past, oh I don't want to cut my baby's hair yet, because they will lose their curls. And in my experience many babies do lose their curls after their first haircut. I don't know why this is.

Since I know more curlies with them it's common for straight hair to start getting curly. That's what happened with me.

Arciela
December 19th, 2018, 08:28 PM
I think its mostly hormones that change it from what I've seen.

However..I bleached my hair almost my whole life and thought I just had poofy weird hair. It wouldn't curl or do anything..it was just always frizzy, dry and weird. When I stopped in 2012 and did a big chop, then grew out my virgin hair..it was curly/wavy.

What happened there though I think is that the bleach was destroying my texture so when I grew out all virgin hair it didn't change per say..it was always there, I just had to stop abusing my hair :flower:

lithostoic
December 19th, 2018, 10:00 PM
Since I know more curlies with them it's common for straight hair to start getting curly. That's what happened with me.

Makes sense. Babies' hair is often fine and wavyish.

December 23rd, 2018, 03:41 AM
My hair always had drastically different textures depending on length. Before I started taking good care of them they were straight when in bob and poof formless frizzhead when longer than that. Now they're curly when long (if I style them), wavy when in bob and straightish spiked hair on ultra-short hair (buzz to pixie). And now I buzzed again and keep wearing scarf around the house (damn, it's cold) and scarf totally straightens them! But they 'spike' by themselves after being washed or when I wake up in the morning (that's my bed head now, lol).

So for me the shorter, the straighter. Wave/curl comes back when they grow back.

They also have drastically different textures depending on how I wash them... They can be straight, loose waves, 3a, 3b/c... Depending on products/technique. I have hair identity crisis at this point. And I buzzed them again because they started to be wavy and tangly again and I'm fed up with combing them *shrugs*.

lapushka
December 23rd, 2018, 05:49 AM
My hair always had drastically different textures depending on length. Before I started taking good care of them they were straight when in bob and poof formless frizzhead when longer than that. Now they're curly when long (if I style them), wavy when in bob and straightish spiked hair on ultra-short hair (buzz to pixie). And now I buzzed again and keep wearing scarf around the house (damn, it's cold) and scarf totally straightens them! But they 'spike' by themselves after being washed or when I wake up in the morning (that's my bed head now, lol).

So for me the shorter, the straighter. Wave/curl comes back when they grow back.

They also have drastically different textures depending on how I wash them... They can be straight, loose waves, 3a, 3b/c... Depending on products/technique. I have hair identity crisis at this point. And I buzzed them again because they started to be wavy and tangly again and I'm fed up with combing them *shrugs*.

Maybe you just need to get past this awkward stage? I know these things get better with added length, but a pixie/bob is a bit hard to get through. :flower:

spidermom
December 23rd, 2018, 10:01 AM
I do not believe a haircut can change the texture of your hair. It can make it look very different. I have spirals that require length to form, so when short, my hair looks straight with cowlicks.