PDA

View Full Version : How much should I cut? *pics

kitcatsmeow
December 15th, 2018, 12:27 PM
I lost a lot of hair in a recent shed. My original game plan after it stippednwas toncut about 1/2” every 4 months so I could keep my length but the ends are really bothering me. They are looking thin and starting to get see through and even wearing it up all the time, it bothers me. I could definitely handle waist length and I could maybe try to hold out until March to get a little more growth. I have new growth but most of it is only
between 4-6” and I think it’s from after my postpartum shed.

So what do you guys think? I’d rather sacrifice lentils h for healthier, fuller looking hair but I don’t want to do anything rash and regret it either.

please be honest. I am not sensitive nor will I be offended. I know it looks pretty bad and just want it to look better so I can feel better about it until it grows back. Thanks

left: before my 1/2” trim in November and before the majority of major hair fall.
right: what’s left of my hair

https://i.imgur.com/9fZGMHb.jpg

Sarahlabyrinth
December 15th, 2018, 12:31 PM
Well, I like it the way it is and don't think you need to trim any off at all.

akurah
December 15th, 2018, 12:33 PM
Your ends and length look healthy to me, I wouldn't cut anything. Your hair does not look bad at all, and frankly, if I was to be harsh about this? I'd tell you to stop being so critical and harsh on your hair, it looks fine. If you look at the right-hand side of the picture without the left hand side for reference, you wouldn't even really be able to tell that it's thin, the only reason why you can tell as an outside observer is because the previous picture is included.

Leave it alone. You may find you deeply regret doing anything with it at all--and I say this as someone who frequently sees over the past decade or so of "I'm going to do X to my hair!" and everyone says "Actually, don't do X...", then they do X, then they go "OMG I regret doing X". (replace X with cut, dye, henna, perm, straighten, etc. as appropriate).

Seriously, leave it be.

Edit to add (hopefully you don't read this before I'm done writing this edit):
I came off harsher than I wanted to--losing any amount of hair is incredibly demoralizing, and you are absolutely allowed to be upset about this--but don't be rash, and don't do anything you will regret. When I developed bald spots I wanted to do the same thing you did. I'm incredibly grateful now that those bald spots are starting to grow back in that I listened to people here when I made a similar post and left it alone--had I cut in bangs or done anything else to hide those bald spots (or just plain cut my hair short so I could have worn it down, since they're less obvious when I wear my hair down) I would have been devastated at what I had done when it grew back in.

WavyWannabe
December 15th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Your hair looks healthy, with a nice hemline and healthy ends. I really don't think you have to cut any of it.

nineke
December 15th, 2018, 01:05 PM
Your ends look smooth to me. If that was my hair, I wouldn't cut any of it.

MidnightMoon
December 15th, 2018, 01:09 PM
I wouldn't cut anything either. It appears to be the same thickness all over so I don't see how cutting anything would help. The ends don't look damaged or scraggly so I'd leave it alone.

Ylva
December 15th, 2018, 01:13 PM
I don't think you need a cut, your ends still look healthy and full!

But at the same time, I think waist length hair would look really good, so if you feel that you really want to cut, that's certainly an idea. But you don't need it, it looks great as it is! :)

*Wednesday*
December 15th, 2018, 01:51 PM
No. It looks very nice. I don't see it necessary. At all.

Arciela
December 15th, 2018, 02:48 PM
Looks healthy to me! I wouldn't cut anything :flower:

Sparkles122
December 15th, 2018, 02:54 PM
Dont cut anything

Margrit
December 15th, 2018, 02:56 PM
Well, I like it the way it is and don't think you need to trim any off at all.

That is very true :)

lapushka
December 15th, 2018, 02:57 PM
I think it looks just fine. I have seen much thinner hair than that (my mom) and it still looks great!

If you *must* I would go to waist max.!

MarPreciosa
December 15th, 2018, 03:03 PM
I lost a lot of hair in a recent shed. My original game plan after it stippednwas toncut about 1/2” every 4 months so I could keep my length but the ends are really bothering me. They are looking thin and starting to get see through and even wearing it up all the time, it bothers me. I could definitely handle waist length and I could maybe try to hold out until March to get a little more growth. I have new growth but most of it is only
between 4-6” and I think it’s from after my postpartum shed.

So what do you guys think? I’d rather sacrifice lentils h for healthier, fuller looking hair but I don’t want to do anything rash and regret it either.

please be honest. I am not sensitive nor will I be offended. I know it looks pretty bad and just want it to look better so I can feel better about it until it grows back. Thanks

left: before my 1/2” trim in November and before the majority of major hair fall.
right: what’s left of my hair

https://i.imgur.com/9fZGMHb.jpg

Though I agree with the other posters in that it looks good to me, it sounds like you want to trim some off - if I am not misreading you. If you will feel happier with your ends, why not just remove a small amount? It's really about what will feel best for you. A 1/4" or a 1/2" is not so much that you would regret it, right? Only you can really say.

spidermom
December 15th, 2018, 03:12 PM
O.k., well let me completely upfront and honest about the fact that I am VERY fussy about ends. However, I don't see anything wrong with yours. I think your plan to cut a little bit at a time is solid. Maybe start with a trim of 1 inch if you're really bothered, then 1/2 inch at a time in the future.

Lady Stardust
December 15th, 2018, 03:14 PM
I think your hair looks lovely.

I sympathise about postpartum shed. I was growing out a pixie cut when mine hit and I don’t know how much of the thinner ends were due to the shed, and how much were due to the pixie layers, but I was very conscious of them. The thing is, no one else was. We are our own worst critics.

I mainly had microtrims but I did have one inch cut off a couple of times. An inch makes a huge difference to how it looks and feels, but again, I was the only one who noticed.

I think you’ll be fine if you continue with micro trimming, it all adds up pretty quickly.

kitcatsmeow
December 15th, 2018, 05:17 PM
Thank You a ll for the comments and suggestions! Nothing seemed harsh to me...as I said, I wanted honest opinions however you saw fit to express them!
I know my hair is healthy and I did just get a 1/2” trim. I guess I’m still not used to the thinner version especially the ends. There was a point over the summer where I wouldn’t wear it down because it was so hot and heavy and thick. My one braid is as thick as one of my two used to be. It’s just really hard to accept.
I realize I shouldn’t be complaining as I don’t have bald spots or anything chronic but I have been trying to grow my hair to this length for 10 years. I finally get there and this disaster. I’m just sad and beyond frustrated and mad at myself for now figuring out what the problem was sooner.
I’m going to try and hold out until March and reassess. Maybe it will even feel a bit fuller by then and I can just trim off another 1/2”. At any rate, Waiting another 2-3 months at least I won’t be acting rash.

aethyra
December 15th, 2018, 05:39 PM
I think your hem is still fabulous. On a side note, I was on the Asos website a lot the previous 2 months shopping for clothing. I noticed most of the straight and wavy haired young british models are currently sporting more piecey styles that look like they are intentionally thinned up, a tad bit on the side but especially the bottom 4 inches or so. The London styles always catch on here in the US. *just a sidebar*

I too vote no cut at this time. I dont see any damage whatsoever.

RadioactiveLily
December 15th, 2018, 05:42 PM
Going through the postpartum shed too, so I just wanted to add my sympathy. It is very disheartening when it’s so much thinner than what you’re used to, even if others can’t tell.

If it makes you feel better though, I think your ends look beautiful and thick. Like, I hope my ends look like yours after maintaining for a while. I think what you’re noticing is not so much thinness, but a difference from what was before.

Longlegs
December 15th, 2018, 05:51 PM
It might be bothering you but from my perspective it looks lovely, your ends look nice and healthy and shiny. I think just a small amount will be enough, maybe just 1//4 inch?. I think that might give your hair that *blunt* ends you are looking for.

blackgothicdoll
December 15th, 2018, 05:55 PM
It took me a second to even figure out what you were talking about.

If I were you, I'd maintain the length by getting a trim every 2-3 months. You wouldn't stop gaining length, but you'd be able to keep your length and notice each trim that your hair evens out. I did this before when I had a really thin piece of hair to my right from being too rough. It takes a lot of patience, but it's better to slowly level out then make a big cut. If you cut up to the different area, you'd mostly be cutting very healthy hair! Those ends can retain much more length, so I do think you'd regret it if you cut that much.

I'd say slow and steady. :)

Oh and I love the tattoos btw

Five of Five
December 15th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Both of your photos are stunning!

I know that can be annoying to hear when you yourself feel critical, but your hair is in such lovely condition and the ends aren't ragged in the slightest, so there is no reason I can see to cut it unless you simply prefer shorter hair. It's very obviously pampered hair!

Jo Ann
December 16th, 2018, 01:26 AM
Kitcat, if it ain't broke, don't fix it! Your hair looks great as it is :flower:

LittleHealthy
December 16th, 2018, 02:22 AM
I’m just starting to shed dramatically, I’m 3 months PP. I’ve been through it all before. I must say your hair looks quite nice! I’d be suuuuper happy to come out the other side of a post partum shed with hair that looked like yours!

Milady_DeWinter
December 16th, 2018, 02:42 AM
I'm so fan of your glossy hair. I can see a difference between pics, but on both your ends look full, they are perfect! I don't say it not to offend you, it's just the bare truth. If you think you REALLY need to cut or it would make you feel better, I wouldn't cut more than 1/2" for the sake of doing it. But it's just not necessary :flower:

lapushka
December 16th, 2018, 05:21 AM
When I had my confrontation with borderline anorexia, and lost 1/3 of my circumference, being able to wear a barrette in my hair whereas not at all before (couldn't snap it shut with all the hair), didn't do much for "curing" me. I actually loved the thinner hair. :o It's sad how that goes. But I got out of it and came out better the other end. Thank goodness. But it lasted a full year to regain the thickness *after* my eating habits were back on track.

kitcatsmeow
December 16th, 2018, 05:44 AM
Jus to clarify.....this wasn’t a postpartum shed. I had that about a year ago and it wasn’t nearly this bad. I also had another shed roughly 3-4 months after that which was also minor. This shed was from a conditioner I was using that I had a reaction to. Had I only had one in the last year, it wouldn’t have been bad, but all three in the last year had a huge impact.

The new growth I have is from the pp shed I believe. It’s about 4-6” and drives me nuts because it’s “side burns” and a “tail” right now but I’m happy to have new hair!

We definitely are our own worst critics and I was having a particularly rough day after I washed it and used too much oil (still adjusting) and it looked greasy and stringy. I did measure circumference which I haven’t done in years and years but I’m still a ii at 3.25” so that mDe me feel a bit better.

maborosi
December 16th, 2018, 07:16 AM
I honestly think that, unless you have damage- split ends or ends that are beginning to split, you should let your hair grow some before cutting it again. Your new growth will need time to catch up, yes, but maybe postponing your trims until you've gotten some more growth would be a better idea. That way, you don't feel like you're just cutting off all of your new growth. I don't know how your hair reacts- if it splits often, etc, but I don't usually trim more than every few months now because I get frustrated with cutting off my new growth. I also get frustrated with thin ends, so I feel you there. But imo, it's better to just let your hair do its thing and leave it alone for a while. Take some time and maybe learn how to do some new updos- I find that always helps.

lapushka
December 16th, 2018, 03:13 PM
I honestly think that, unless you have damage- split ends or ends that are beginning to split, you should let your hair grow some before cutting it again. Your new growth will need time to catch up, yes, but maybe postponing your trims until you've gotten some more growth would be a better idea. That way, you don't feel like you're just cutting off all of your new growth. I don't know how your hair reacts- if it splits often, etc, but I don't usually trim more than every few months now because I get frustrated with cutting off my new growth. I also get frustrated with thin ends, so I feel you there. But imo, it's better to just let your hair do its thing and leave it alone for a while. Take some time and maybe learn how to do some new updos- I find that always helps.

I think that's great advice! :)

yahirwaO.o
December 16th, 2018, 07:32 PM
I used to be extremely picky about the state of my ends and hem in the past too. So I get those days in which hair might look ok to everyone but you feel like crap inside about it.

Honestly a constant tiny mini micro trim every now and then wouldnt hurt at all, either way i think it looks fantastic just the way it is.

And its so stunning how much my hair resembles yours when I get your lenght. Trust me I was so similar like yours at the time, everyone told me it was fine but I made the chop and while I miss it,,,, I sort have learned to appreciate and enjoy it, every length since then, besides hair always grows! :)

Dark40
December 17th, 2018, 01:14 PM
I agree with everybody. You don't need to cut anything at all. Your hair still looks very healthy.

lapushka
December 19th, 2018, 05:29 PM
OP, have you decided on anything yet? :)

kitcatsmeow
December 19th, 2018, 11:44 PM
OP, have you decided on anything yet? :)

I’m waiting until March to trim and reacess then. I’ll try to just do 1/2” and maintain my length while I gain some thickness back. I’m also growing out my dye so I’m fine with maintaining for a while.

lapushka
December 20th, 2018, 12:16 AM
I’m waiting until March to trim and reacess then. I’ll try to just do 1/2” and maintain my length while I gain some thickness back. I’m also growing out my dye so I’m fine with maintaining for a while.

Sounds like a plan! :thumbsup:
Great to hear! :)