PDA

View Full Version : Advice needed

Sparkles122
December 14th, 2018, 08:02 AM
So the beginning of last month, I had an unfortunate incident which most of you have probably seen but for those who dont ill recap. Basically I got a full heavy highlight on my hip legnth hair and chopped it off to BSL. However, all around the crown of my hair when wet is completely brittle and fried. My hairdresser who I have been going to for a long time has done this to my hair before and this did not happen. I had a couple of demi permanents on my hair but it was in good condition. A week later I hated the highlights and had a friends mom dye me back to brown, fast forward to now. The brown is starting to fade, but I do see regrowth coming in, actually about almost an inch and my natural hair is brown. My question is should I leave it and let it grow out (which is what I think Im going to do)? Or would you dye it (brown) again and then let it grow out? And would you go back to that hairdresser if that happened to your hair?

Obsidian
December 14th, 2018, 09:04 AM
I don't think I'd dye it, it will probably just fade again. Maybe you could try a temporary dye like adore, it comes in many natural brown colors. As far as the hairdresser, if she did more damage than you like, then don't have her color your hair again. Its possible she used a stronger developer then your last stylist or left it on just a bit too long. Did she use olaplex? Many salons don't unless you ask and you should always ask when doing any kind of chemical treatment, not just bleaching.

Sparkles122
December 14th, 2018, 09:06 AM
I don't think I'd dye it, it will probably just fade again. Maybe you could try a temporary dye like adore, it comes in many natural brown colors. As far as the hairdresser, if she did more damage than you like, then don't have her color your hair again. Its possible she used a stronger developer then your last stylist or left it on just a bit too long. Did she use olaplex? Many salons don't unless you ask and you should always ask when doing any kind of chemical treatment, not just bleaching.

She did use olaplex, and she was also the one who did it last time, but i think with different products. And the last time she did it was about 10 years ago so no olaplex last time. And yes, my heart is telling me no more dye. I think i might be able to deal with the fading, as it really hasnt faded to an awful color

elfynity
December 14th, 2018, 09:19 AM
I would definitely not dye my hair again, especially if it caused damage already - do you want long hair or coloured hair? Nothing wrong with 2 tone hair, it will fade substantially, and before you know it it wont be so obvious - that's what happened to my hair.

Did you confirm with the hairdresser what he / she were going to put /do to your hair? Did they mention it could cause damage? I think most hairdressers know that dyes etc cause damage, but most patrons don't really mind - perhaps there was a communication error. It would be very interesting to know what was used in your hair that caused the bad result.

Nuture your hair now and reap the rewards with a little bit of waiting. It will be well worth it!

victorian girl
December 14th, 2018, 09:22 AM
Your heart is right, putting even more harsh chemicals in won't do your hair any good - especially if it does look tolerable as it is. And I certainly wouldn't let this hairdresser even look at my hair ever again - do you really want to continue paying someone for messing your hair up? Even if it was for free, what's the point?

Sparkles122
December 14th, 2018, 09:29 AM
I would definitely not dye my hair again, especially if it caused damage already - do you want long hair or coloured hair? Nothing wrong with 2 tone hair, it will fade substantially, and before you know it it wont be so obvious - that's what happened to my hair.

Did you confirm with the hairdresser what he / she were going to put /do to your hair? Did they mention it could cause damage? I think most hairdressers know that dyes etc cause damage, but most patrons don't really mind - perhaps there was a communication error. It would be very interesting to know what was used in your hair that caused the bad result.

Nuture your hair now and reap the rewards with a little bit of waiting. It will be well worth it!

I definitely want my long hair back. And the second I stop dying it, it grows so much faster than if I were dying it. She told me she used a 20 volume with olaplex. My hair was about a level 5-6 before the highlights. And she said my hair would be fine. The only thing I had on my hair prior was 2 demi permanents over virgin hair. I would have been ok with a small amount of damage, but this was my whole entire crown

Yes ive made the decision to just let it grow

Sparkles122
December 14th, 2018, 09:31 AM
Your heart is right, putting even more harsh chemicals in won't do your hair any good - especially if it does look tolerable as it is. And I certainly wouldn't let this hairdresser even look at my hair ever again - do you really want to continue paying someone for messing your hair up? Even if it was for free, what's the point?

Its definitely tolerable, its a natural looking color, not too far off from my own color. And no, I do feel like the damage could be considered substantial (no breakage though/yet) and I should stay away from hairdressers

spidermom
December 14th, 2018, 10:08 AM
I wouldn't have dyed it brown in the first place, and I certainly wouldn't do it again. Chemical damage will keep compounding with additional chemical applications; that's the nature of the beast.

Happy growing!

Sparkles122
December 14th, 2018, 10:11 AM
I wouldn't have dyed it brown in the first place, and I certainly wouldn't do it again. Chemical damage will keep compounding with additional chemical applications; that's the nature of the beast.

Happy growing!

Well that was over a month ago now and I know I shouldnt do it again. And now that I have regrowth and can see my natural hair coming in, I dont want to lose the progress

elfynity
December 14th, 2018, 10:36 AM
And she said my hair would be fine.

Yes ive made the decision to just let it grow

Her kind of fine, and your kind of fine are obviously 2 vastly different things. Definitly don't go back to someone who doesn't 'get' you.
So happy you are going to let it just grow! Are you planning on a routine to help the damage along?

Sparkles122
December 14th, 2018, 10:50 AM
Her kind of fine, and your kind of fine are obviously 2 vastly different things. Definitly don't go back to someone who doesn't 'get' you.
So happy you are going to let it just grow! Are you planning on a routine to help the damage along?

Her definition of fine and my definition of fine are DEFINITELY different lol. She said to me “your hair is not damaged, you could even highlight it again if you wanted to” WHAT?!? No way. And im starting to get a good routine down, my hair does feel slightly better. I have to wash every other day because I have a greasy itchy scalp. Ive been using a deep conditioner that someone recommended on here (the garnier honey one) every other time I wash my hair and alternate with a regular conditioner (herbal essence hello hydration). I have to do this because even though I have alot of hair, it is fine and will start weighing it down because most of my hair is not damaged, just the crown. I towel dry for a while and then I use the smallest dot of the it’s a 10 leave in serum and apply it to either side of my crown. I have to blow dry my hair and only use cool warm setting, never ever any heat tools, no straightener, no curling iron nothing. I also never brush my hair, I know that sounds crazy, but i have never used a brush on my hair, i use my fingers. Before all this I did not use conditioner, it was a rare occasion when I did

elfynity
December 14th, 2018, 12:26 PM
I think conditioner is going to be a good thing. I have read that egg whites are very good for damaged hair - moisture and protein, so maybe something for you to look into.

lapushka
December 14th, 2018, 01:34 PM
I think conditioner is going to be a good thing. I have read that egg whites are very good for damaged hair - moisture and protein, so maybe something for you to look into.

If you are talking "egg" for protein. The molecules in egg are far too big to penetrate hair. The only DIY for protein that you can do is gelatin. No doubt egg can be a wonderful thing, but you're not going to get protein out of it.

elfynity
December 15th, 2018, 11:25 AM
If you are talking "egg" for protein. The molecules in egg are far too big to penetrate hair. The only DIY for protein that you can do is gelatin. No doubt egg can be a wonderful thing, but you're not going to get protein out of it.

Thanks for clarifying that Lapushka. I feel like an egghead not knowing about the protein!

lapushka
December 15th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Thanks for clarifying that Lapushka. I feel like an egghead not knowing about the protein!

I think it's in the sciency hair blog, I'll go look, hang on... Here is the gelatin recipe from the blog:
http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.com/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html

Arciela
December 15th, 2018, 01:53 PM
This happened to me in 2016! I decided to bleach my TBL virgin hair and then thought if I only touched up the roots it would be okay. Nope..haha. My crown and top of my head was so damaged, tangled and tattered. The rest of my hair was in okay condition but it was just getting worse as the year went on.

So in 2017 I finally said okay..I'm done with this, I miss my natural hair and am tired of the damage. I actually put a deposit only dye all over it (Pravana Chromasilk with 0 lift) and it came out okay, but it faded to that orangey, brassy color. I chopped to just above APL after that and kept cutting 1" a month. Now I've got 4 inches left of bleach..but its not that unhealthy, so what I've been doing is just carefully (VERY carefully) having my MIL just put the deposit only pravana dye on the bleach parts only because I can't stand that brassy look. I guess it depends if it bothers you or not. Personally I don't like that hair color on me so I keep coloring over it until Spring when I'll just chop the rest off XD

Sparkles122
December 15th, 2018, 02:24 PM
This happened to me in 2016! I decided to bleach my TBL virgin hair and then thought if I only touched up the roots it would be okay. Nope..haha. My crown and top of my head was so damaged, tangled and tattered. The rest of my hair was in okay condition but it was just getting worse as the year went on.

So in 2017 I finally said okay..I'm done with this, I miss my natural hair and am tired of the damage. I actually put a deposit only dye all over it (Pravana Chromasilk with 0 lift) and it came out okay, but it faded to that orangey, brassy color. I chopped to just above APL after that and kept cutting 1" a month. Now I've got 4 inches left of bleach..but its not that unhealthy, so what I've been doing is just carefully (VERY carefully) having my MIL just put the deposit only pravana dye on the bleach parts only because I can't stand that brassy look. I guess it depends if it bothers you or not. Personally I don't like that hair color on me so I keep coloring over it until Spring when I'll just chop the rest off XD

Oh no!!! And yes that sounds almost identical to my situation. I literally hated the highlights. Half my head was highlighted and half was my brown color. A week later, literally a week later, I used a kenra level 7 and small amount of level 6 with a 10 volume developer, which is now a little over a month ago. Its ok, its doable. Do I love it? No. Its slightly faded but still brown, and I can definitely see its a little brassy in some lights. I can see natural regrowth so thats the only thing that is pushing me through not touching it anymore. My goal is to suffer with this color until its at least grown out to a place that it doesnt bother me anymore. The whole area of my crown is an absolute mess. From the time of your incident, how long did it take to start feeling somewhat better? Washing my hair gives me horrible anxiety

What volume bleach did you use? I still am in complete shock over this even though it is now 5 weeks later.