PDA

View Full Version : An interesting question

Sparkles122
December 14th, 2018, 07:48 AM
If someone is underweight or even intentionally underweight (anorexic) does that affect the rate at which their hair grows. I know being anorexic affects the quality of hair and even makes you lose more hair. I ask this because I am underweight (by a couple of pounds) unintentionally. However, Ive always been a thin person but I havent always had a weight that was this low. It happened after I had my kids. So yea just wondering if being underweight affects rate of growth

victorian girl
December 14th, 2018, 09:00 AM
I'm underweight too (genetics and poor eating habits, mostly). I've never been at normal BMI, so... I've got no idea! But logically, your body uses the energy and nutrients it gets from food to do the nesessary things, and only then any "leftovers" are used to create hair / nails / healthy skin. If you're undeweight, it means that your body doesn't get enough nutrients for the essential functions, let alone for the non-essential, so I wouldn't be surprised at the lack of hair growth or at shedding. I remember my mom saying that when she reached the normal weight for the first time in her life, her hair got thicker and healthier, so it looks like it makes a difference. I've also noticed that slightly overweight girls always seem to have the most gorgeous hair for some reason! I think it's always worth it to try to get to a healthier weight if you're underweight, it certainly won't harm you.

Sparkles122
December 14th, 2018, 09:03 AM
I'm underweight too (genetics and poor eating habits, mostly). I've never been at normal BMI, so... I've got no idea! But logically, your body uses the energy and nutrients it gets from food to do the nesessary things, and only then any "leftovers" are used to create hair / nails / healthy skin. If you're undeweight, it means that your body doesn't get enough nutrients for the essential functions, let alone for the non-essential, so I wouldn't be surprised at the lack of hair growth or at shedding. I remember my mom saying that when she reached the normal weight for the first time in her life, her hair got thicker and healthier, so it looks like it makes a difference. I've also noticed that slightly overweight girls always seem to have the most gorgeous hair for some reason! I think it's always worth it to try to get to a healthier weight if you're underweight, it certainly won't harm you.

Yea I kind of had that feeling. Although im not alot underweight, 5’5 and 109, its still considered underrweight. Im going to try to eat more calories to get up into the 110s range and give it some time to see what happens

Jo Ann
December 14th, 2018, 09:28 AM
I'm about 5'11" and weigh about ten pounds more than you, Cate. I've been a Skinny Minnie (or Olive Oyl, take your pick :p ) all my life. The most I've weighed when not pregnant has been 142 lbs--but I was eating six meals per day to stay at that weight.

It's safe for me to say my hair quality and quantity haven't been affected--but YMMV.

Sparkles122
December 14th, 2018, 09:33 AM
I'm about 5'11" and weigh about ten pounds more than you, Cate. I've been a Skinny Minnie (or Olive Oyl, take your pick :p ) all my life. The most I've weighed when not pregnant has been 142 lbs--but I was eating six meals per day to stay at that weight.

It's safe for me to say my hair quality and quantity haven't been affected--but YMMV.

Lol I’m not Cate! And yes I do have to eat alot to keep my weight up. Prior to having my kids I was about 115 and I will say that my hair was a bit different. Was it because I was younger? Maybe, but that was only about 9 years ago

lapushka
December 14th, 2018, 09:39 AM
If someone is underweight or even intentionally underweight (anorexic) does that affect the rate at which their hair grows. I know being anorexic affects the quality of hair and even makes you lose more hair. I ask this because I am underweight (by a couple of pounds) unintentionally. However, Ive always been a thin person but I havent always had a weight that was this low. It happened after I had my kids. So yea just wondering if being underweight affects rate of growth

It affects circumference, for sure. I was borderline anorexic when I was 16/17 (not even full on), I was just 3 months into eating badly and not enough and I lost 1/3 of my circumference. At that time I didn't measure. But! I could never fit a barrette over my ponytail, and now it slid off. So that's how I knew.

My hair still grew, but I lost thickness!

Sparkles122
December 14th, 2018, 09:44 AM
It affects circumference, for sure. I was borderline anorexic when I was 16/17 (not even full on), I was just 3 months into eating badly and not enough and I lost 1/3 of my circumference. At that time I didn't measure. But! I could never fit a barrette over my ponytail, and now it slid off. So that's how I knew.

My hair still grew, but I lost thickness!

Immediately after I had my second kid (he is 4 now) I was down to 98 pounds and I definitely lost thickness. It took about 2 years from that to get to 109, and then 6-8 months later I had a ton of little baby hair and antennas all over my head. Im trying to push myself to 112 and then maintain there to see if it makes further difference

The-Young-Maid
December 14th, 2018, 09:45 AM
YES. Your hair may still be growing but it won't be as fast/thick when you are underweight. You need to be getting enough calories in addition to vitamins. Taking vitamins alone will not help your hair enough. As someone who had this issue (underweight/anorexic) I noticed a huge difference in the quality and thickness of my hair once I started eating enough. My hair was maybe average(ii) thickness with thin ends because I was shedding a lot. Once I'd been recovering my thickness is now 5"+ (iii). My ends are much thicker as well. Your body uses everything it can to keep your body healthy, it doesn't care about hair. I'm a small person 5ft 100lbs~ but even when I'm not hungry I have to eat because otherwise I don't get enough calories.

victorian girl, I've also noticed a correlation between overweight women and hair. Glad I'm not the only one

Sparkles122
December 14th, 2018, 10:13 AM
YES. Your hair may still be growing but it won't be as fast/thick when you are underweight. You need to be getting enough calories in addition to vitamins. Taking vitamins alone will not help your hair enough. As someone who had this issue (underweight/anorexic) I noticed a huge difference in the quality and thickness of my hair once I started eating enough. My hair was maybe average(ii) thickness with thin ends because I was shedding a lot. Once I'd been recovering my thickness is now 5"+ (iii). My ends are much thicker as well. Your body uses everything it can to keep your body healthy, it doesn't care about hair. I'm a small person 5ft 100lbs~ but even when I'm not hungry I have to eat because otherwise I don't get enough calories.

victorian girl, I've also noticed a correlation between overweight women and hair. Glad I'm not the only one

My hair was definitely different when I weighed 115. Im going to try to get in more calories, I think I eat around 2,000 now, and see what happens