PDA

View Full Version : 2c with Sausage Ringlets

Cinnamonagouti
December 14th, 2018, 03:20 AM
I've always had problems with what type to identify with (not that it matters that much anyway). My hair is made up of ringlets, although they are pretty loose and starts from about my ear (i.e. not all the way from the scalp), but practically no S-waves. But still, my hair visually appears to be more wavy than curly as you can see in the pictures. It feels wrong to call it 3a since it doesn't look like in the 3's (IMO), but also wrong to call it 2c since I have no S-waves. So I've gone with 2c/3a as typing.

What I'm asking is if having ringlets per definition makes your hair curly, or can you be a wavy with ringlets if it looks wavy visually? Any thoughts? :P

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34227&d=1543480473
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=28355&d=1501965132
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34226&d=1543480473

But of course, the ringlets are more defined at shorter lengths, so might be a question of length and weighing down. But still doesn't look curly enough to be in the 3's to me:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14980&d=1419786197
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14977&d=1419785965

lapushka
December 14th, 2018, 05:32 AM
I would call that 3a. I would not even go 2c/3a as the ringlets are very apparent and seem to be all over.

Crystawni
December 14th, 2018, 05:33 AM
It's beautiful however it's classified. I wish I could help. Mine's all ringlets too, of the super fine haired sausage variety (tighter under the canopy), and I'm still clueless as to where that puts me when it comes to LHC texture. Neither 2s nor 3s describe it.

victorian girl
December 14th, 2018, 06:11 AM
Hm... what if they were 3a when they were shorter, and now they are 2c? Looks similar to my hair type, but my curls at shoulder length were less defined, so when I asked here, we all agreed on 2c/3a... but I rarely see my hair in its natural state (I usually brush it and put it up), so I'm not a curly expert. I would say that texture starting only past your ears is a very 2-ish thing. I wonder, how did you style your hair for these pictures (scrunching, styling creams, etc)? And also, do you brush your hair often or at all, and how it reacts?

lithostoic
December 14th, 2018, 06:50 AM
I would call it 2c/3a since the ringlets are so loose they appear wavy. True 3a is springy more separated curls.

My hair is composed of ringlets too. That's why it looks so messy with my loose texture. And why all my waves seem to go in the same direction.

lapushka
December 14th, 2018, 07:06 AM
I could agree to 2c/3a since the length pulls it out some, to a more wavy texture.

SallySue
December 14th, 2018, 08:25 AM
You are either, both, and it doesn't matter that much. But I want to say that WOW you have the most gorgeous hair.

Cinnamonagouti
December 14th, 2018, 08:25 AM
Thank you all for your opinions (and the compliments :blushing:)! Seems like I can keep it at 2c/3a, then. It's almost like it's actually S-waves (or at least "straight" (very stretched out) spirals) when the texture starts, but the last part of the clumps are always ringlets.

Hm... what if they were 3a when they were shorter, and now they are 2c? Looks similar to my hair type, but my curls at shoulder length were less defined, so when I asked here, we all agreed on 2c/3a... but I rarely see my hair in its natural state (I usually brush it and put it up), so I'm not a curly expert. I would say that texture starting only past your ears is a very 2-ish thing. I wonder, how did you style your hair for these pictures (scrunching, styling creams, etc)? And also, do you brush your hair often or at all, and how it reacts?
Yes I agree that texture starting below the ears are a typical type 2 thing. I think that is because my hair is very fine, it doesn't really have the strength to start curling from the top. And I've got the impression that the typical type 3 hair (at least 3b+) is coarse or at least medium.

I don't really remember how it is styled in all of the pictures. I use gel only when I plan to wear it down for a longer period of time, and sometimes plopping for a short period of time. I usually scrunch it to make it dry quicker. But it turns out pretty much the same even if I don't scrunch or style it, only frizzier and less defined, and also the ringlets can get even more stretched out because of the water that weighs it down. Still no S-waves, though.

I almost always finger detangle only, except before washing when I brush it with a tangle teezer. It actually looks pretty decent after that, but that's because I've had it in braids or updos so that most of the curl has disappeared. If I brush it before doing any sort of braids or updos, it looks like this:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34478&d=1544799501
...lol.

elfynity
December 14th, 2018, 08:51 AM
Cinamonagouti, I just want to start with, you have stunning hair! I have very similar hair - 2c, fine and ringlets, and the ringlets only start from my ears down too. My hair is thinner than yours though, I'm mid ii and it doesn't hold the ringlets as well, and if i brush the ringlets they go puff!

I classify my hair as 2c, but your spirals seem stronger and more defined than mine, so I think 2c / 3a is a good classification for you.

I do comb my hair as straight as i can get it while it is drying now which I have been enjoying lately. I am glad to see someone else here who has similarities to me! Would be interesting to know what routines you are using.

ExpectoPatronum
December 14th, 2018, 08:54 AM
I'd say 2c/3a but you could definitely claim 3a if you want to. Your hair is a lot like mine.

Cinnamonagouti
December 14th, 2018, 09:09 AM
Cinamonagouti, I just want to start with, you have stunning hair! I have very similar hair - 2c, fine and ringlets, and the ringlets only start from my ears down too. My hair is thinner than yours though, I'm mid ii and it doesn't hold the ringlets as well, and if i brush the ringlets they go puff!

I classify my hair as 2c, but your spirals seem stronger and more defined than mine, so I think 2c / 3a is a good classification for you.

I do comb my hair as straight as i can get it while it is drying now which I have been enjoying lately. I am glad to see someone else here who has similarities to me! Would be interesting to know what routines you are using.

Thank you! Always fun with hair twins :) I will DM you regarding my routine, since it's not really relevant to the topic.

littlestarface
December 14th, 2018, 12:35 PM
girl its not even wavy, your a curly, 3a.

wo
December 14th, 2018, 12:49 PM
Ooo I think we have very similar hair and it's 3a. When it's very short there's no curl at all, and when it's very long they get stretched out, but mid length it spirals. Your hair is really pretty!

GrowlingCupcake
December 14th, 2018, 12:51 PM
To me it looks like a 3a, just a loose 3a. Doesn't make them any less ringlets just because they're looser. It's a lovely texture, it looks so soft, and almost fluffy.

lapushka
December 14th, 2018, 02:09 PM
Nah, I think I'm sticking with 2c/3a and 3a max., up to OP what she wants to make of it! :flower:

chiapommama
December 14th, 2018, 03:40 PM
I ain't got a clue but just popped in to say it's gorgeous whatever type it is.

spidermom
December 14th, 2018, 09:51 PM
I will admit that I don’t like the combined classifications like 2C/3A . In your case, you are NOT “mostly wavy with a few spiral curls”, which is the 2C definition. That’s all loose spiral curls, which is a 3A thing. Full stop.

littlestarface
December 14th, 2018, 10:05 PM
I will admit that I don’t like the combined classifications like 2C/3A . In your case, you are NOT “mostly wavy with a few spiral curls”, which is the 2C definition. That’s all loose spiral curls, which is a 3A thing. Full stop.

True true.

Crystawni
December 14th, 2018, 10:17 PM
We need a 2D classification for loose spirals. :p

Mine start at my scalp, but are a lot looser than Cinnamonagouti's and wo's, and although having all spirals is a 3A classification, I certainly don't relate to being a curly thanks to its delicacy and lack of holding power. But even when dripping wet and getting drenched in the shower, it spirals, and it doesn't relax into waves unless I manipulate it. Mine's too fine to not manipulate it, though, as it gets too tangly and stringy. Grrrrr.

Cinnamonagouti
December 15th, 2018, 03:52 AM

Mine start at my scalp, but are a lot looser than Cinnamonagouti's and wo's, and although having all spirals is a 3A classification, I certainly don't relate to being a curly thanks to its delicacy and lack of holding power. But even when dripping wet and getting drenched in the shower, it spirals, and it doesn't relax into waves unless I manipulate it. Mine's too fine to not manipulate it, though, as it gets too tangly and stringy. Grrrrr.
Haha I'm all for a 2d classification!! Exactly, my curls hold pretty bad too. If I wear it down for a full day, the curls are still there, only poofy and less defined. But if I braid it or put it up, almost all the curls disappear for a more wavy texture (the braidwaves turn out really pretty though). When it's soaking wet it's straight (except for the ends that spirals a little) but as soon as I push the water out it starts curling.

Ooo I think we have very similar hair and it's 3a. When it's very short there's no curl at all, and when it's very long they get stretched out, but mid length it spirals. Your hair is really pretty!

I saw some pictures of your hair in the big hair picture thread (gorgeous!!!) and indeed it looks a lot like mine. I've also thought of cutting some layers as it would help the curls, but never did because I feel like it would be harder to do neat braids and updos with layers (and that it would be thin at the hemline). Do you have fine strands too?

Stray_mind
December 15th, 2018, 04:26 AM
Your hair looks a lot like Milady's so i'd go with 2c/3a for now. ;)

wo
December 15th, 2018, 06:49 AM
I saw some pictures of your hair in the big hair picture thread (gorgeous!!!) and indeed it looks a lot like mine. I've also thought of cutting some layers as it would help the curls, but never did because I feel like it would be harder to do neat braids and updos with layers (and that it would be thin at the hemline). Do you have fine strands too?

That is important to consider. I don't braid, and as for updos, I mostly do a basic claw clip, so there's no way layers can mess that up, actually it looks nicer with shorter pieces. If I bun, I do a cinnabun and the layers stay fine since it's a twisted bun.

My hair is like.... if you drew a circle at the crown of my head, it is extremely thick coarse strands of kinky black looking hairs. Everything else is blonde or brown fine hair. It's like two totally different sets of hair and I have no idea how to classify that, so I pick the middle ground and say medium lol.

Lady Katherine
December 15th, 2018, 08:39 AM
My hair type looks very similar to yours, and I've always been confused as to how I should classify it, since it's too curly to be a wavy 2c, but not a definite 3a curl pattern either.

elfynity
December 15th, 2018, 11:07 AM

Exactly, my curls hold pretty bad too. .... When it's soaking wet it's straight (except for the ends that spirals a little) but as soon as I push the water out it starts curling.

Oh Crystawni (as before) and Cinnamon, I totally relate to you! My spirals also don't have holding power, but I still have to deal with all the fuzz and frizz that comes with curly hair. 2D classification! I'm all for it, the 'd' can stand for the d in 'curls that drop'.

enting
December 15th, 2018, 04:28 PM
I can relate - my spirals drop out very fast except for the bottom few inches, and not all of it curls, but if I use a really good conditioner it goes up to 3a. If we get a "curls that drop" classifier I think I'd belong there, too.

GrowlingCupcake
December 15th, 2018, 05:07 PM
I like how all the not-quite-2c-but-not-quite-3a people showed up xD A 2d classification makes sense.

littlestarface
December 15th, 2018, 05:13 PM
Honestly half the people who have 2c as their hair type look way straighter than 2c for most of them i'd put them at 2a maybe 2b but then I don't like to say my opinion too much in these kind of threads.

Crystawni
December 15th, 2018, 05:40 PM
Honestly half the people who have 2c as their hair type look way straighter than 2c for most of them i'd put them at 2a maybe 2b but then I don't like to say my opinion too much in these kind of threads.

Yes, I agree! And that's just the thing--those of us with sausage ringlets have hair that has a looser wavelength from a distance, but it's 3D all the way (not flattish S bumps like braidwaves give). The difference I see is often how the ends curl--wavies look like they have straighter hair at their hemlines (it sits flatter), whereas those with ringlets have clumped and curvy hemlines. Where do we fit? That wavelength visual is what stumps us, I think. It's not tight enough to be curly, but not wavy with S curves. It's clumped, fatter ringlets that coil all the way down (and often get tighter on the ends, and under the canopy).

Curls that drop--that's us. Either 2d as a classification, or most accurately: 3D! :p :o

ravenheather
December 15th, 2018, 08:04 PM
My 8dd has this hair type too. At hip stretched the curls stretch out but are definitely ringlets. I also figure if she were patient enough to fully go curly girl they would be tighter. We detangle daily with a tangle teezer then spritz to bring back the curls. My 10 dd is 2a on top and 2c on the bottom. Crazy variance in curl patterns.

It makes my younger daughter mad if her friends tell her her hair is wavy not curly. I tell her what do they know they have straight hair.

spidermom
December 15th, 2018, 08:09 PM
It has been a little upsetting at times when I post a picture of my hair full of spiral curls, and people comment "lovely waves." Those are not waves!

Crystawni
December 15th, 2018, 08:58 PM
The little circles of life. :p Well, if you cup them in your hand, the clumps coil into perfect circles. Here are some older pics of mine.

A hairtyping pic from 2014 (somewhat windblown--so the delicate stuff went pffffff)

https://i.imgur.com/sotGwcQ.jpg

The ringlets:

https://i.imgur.com/TxXBFXh.jpg

Facing up to it, frizz and all:

https://i.imgur.com/ypDfY1c.jpg

Circling around the issue:

https://i.imgur.com/MWlA5bD.jpg

Like I mentioned, mine is a lot looser than others, but does it look familiar to any of you stretchy coilies?

Mostly it's too soft and blah to be too defined, and the weather here makes for a frizzfest unless I do some taming (my hair gets on best with my sandalwood wide-tooth comb, but then unless I re-wet my length, I've lost the definition).

littlestarface
December 15th, 2018, 09:18 PM
The little circles of life. :p Well, if you cup them in your hand, the clumps coil into perfect circles. Here are some older pics of mine.

A hairtyping pic from 2014 (somewhat windblown--so the delicate stuff went pffffff)

https://i.imgur.com/sotGwcQ.jpg

The ringlets:

https://i.imgur.com/TxXBFXh.jpg

Facing up to it, frizz and all:

https://i.imgur.com/ypDfY1c.jpg

Circling around the issue:

https://i.imgur.com/MWlA5bD.jpg

Like I mentioned, mine is a lot looser than others, but does it look familiar to any of you stretchy coilies?

Mostly it's too soft and blah to be too defined, and the weather here makes for a frizzfest unless I do some taming (my hair gets on best with my sandalwood wide-tooth comb, but then unless I re-wet my length, I've lost the definition).

See for sure I would call you 2c and those are so cute! Like Shirley temple :inlove: so adorable and natural too, these are like special wurls only a chosen few have them :p

My hair is so limp with weak waves man. This picture only air dried was from before I started doing scrunching and plopping.
https://i.imgur.com/byNv4VA.jpg?1

Crystawni
December 15th, 2018, 10:35 PM
Shhh, don't tell anyone I used to sing and tapdance as a kid, too. :p Your hair has so much personality, littlestarface--from whimsical waves to coiling ringlets, you get a lot of bouncy, schmexy yum for your buck!

What gets me is my youngest daughter has the same pattern as me (yes, this kind of hair grows out in the same pattern on repeat--I guess that's ringlets for you?), but her hair has beautifully defined, strong braidwaves and ringlets (her bumps stay like braidwaves, where my just wither and die). And although she's got a smaller pony-circ than me, she has a smaller head and her hair looks so full and responds well to layering. On the other hand, mine gets thin and limp, with a see through hemline when layered as it kills the curls and gives me feathered fluff instead.

Hers after a compact cut (we did ours at the same time), with some hair caught in her bag strap:

https://i.imgur.com/caMt3C5.jpg?1

And mine finally finding some of the whirls a few months after a compact cut:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19058&d=1442652643

My daughter now wears it at collarbone length, and it gets very bushy--growing out before down. But if I had mine at that length, my finer stuff would just look a lot limper, like a bedraggled puppy.

And having my faceframers shorter? I get curlicues, verandahs and earswoops.
The ringlets are off and running (even though they'd been brushed out):

https://i.imgur.com/SaTXe0x.jpg

elfynity
December 16th, 2018, 12:40 AM

Yes, I agree! And that's just the thing--those of us with sausage ringlets have hair that has a looser wavelength from a distance, but it's 3D all the way (not flattish S bumps like braidwaves give). The difference I see is often how the ends curl--wavies look like they have straighter hair at their hemlines (it sits flatter), whereas those with ringlets have clumped and curvy hemlines. Where do we fit? That wavelength visual is what stumps us, I think. It's not tight enough to be curly, but not wavy with S curves. It's clumped, fatter ringlets that coil all the way down (and often get tighter on the ends, and under the canopy).

Curls that drop--that's us. Either 2d as a classification, or most accurately: 3D! :p :o

Well explained Crystawni, I think the hardest part that I find is that i am just not 2a. I just don't have waves unless I try hard to brush them out - i either have soft ringlets or frizz. I cherish the days that the spirals are intact and not broken up. Having 2a hair would be so hassle free. Lucky to those who are 2c that holds or 2a with natural waves.

I want to add 'curls that drop; to my classification!

enting
December 16th, 2018, 08:17 AM
The first two pictures of that threesome are very familiar Crystawni. I might be a factor of curliness less than you, but they still drop out. I think I've figured out that this is also why I might wash my hair, see lots of ringlets, take a picture and it always just looks wavy: I'm looking at my hair from the top so I can see the diameter inside the curls, the picture is looking straight on and only sees the stretched out part!
I complained to DH about my curly-wurliness factor decreasing with length. He compared it to a stretched out slinky. The coils are still trying to be there, it's just all stretched out so you can't really see it.

Cinnamonagouti
December 16th, 2018, 09:02 AM
EDIT: sorry for the huge picture :rolleyes:

And as for the sausage curls... I can totally relate :lol:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14976&d=1419785963

Though I don't get them as much anymore.

lithostoic
December 16th, 2018, 09:19 AM
Love the sausage curls!

lapushka
December 16th, 2018, 10:07 AM
It has been a little upsetting at times when I post a picture of my hair full of spiral curls, and people comment "lovely waves." Those are not waves!

Yes but that is the definition of 2c, wavy with *some* ringlets. ;)

Crystawni
December 16th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Well, going by the Visual Hairtyping Guide here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252), we're all 3a.
3a - big, loose spiral curls

:shrug:

Like enting, it's that flat-on look compared to the 3D from our perspective that doesn't come across in pics. But from what I've seen, the 3a people on here have tighter spirals and their hair doesn't have that long, soft curl look that the sausage ringlets give. And most every time I've asked here about my own hair, I've been told 2a, 2b or 2b/2c and rarely 2c, but have continued to be confuzzled because:

2b - shorter, more distinct S-waves (similar to waves from braiding damp hair)
2c - distinct S-waves and the odd spiral curl forming here and there

Even though our spirals don't hang around, I think the base pattern is always there, and is what hairtyping goes off of, regardless of what length, manipulation, weather, etc., does to it? We still have that texture that we're dealing with initially. The only thing I struggle with is the CG method--it's too much moisture for the delicacy of my all virgin, low-porous hair.

Cinnamonagouti, yours could be the very definition of 3a in that last pic. And yup, as mine has got longer, the sausages have just elongated like a slinky. :lol:

ETA: I used to have my hair permed in the 80s in my teens and early 20s, and finally got a spiral perm in the early 90s as my hair was too long for the regular kind, and never really knew my true texture. But that spiral perm lasted waaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than any other perm, and didn't really lose shape or grow out, It just hung around, or so I thought. Now I know it was my true texture coming in. :p

spidermom
December 16th, 2018, 03:31 PM
Yes but that is the definition of 2c, wavy with *some* ringlets. ;)

Yep, that's why I typed mine 2C, but when the planets align just right and there's enough humidity in the air, I get all spiral curls.

enting
December 16th, 2018, 03:48 PM
I don't get sausage curls ever, but it does get confusing. I'm pretty certain my canopy is 3a or even 3b near my face, but my underlayers are definitely in the 2s or possibly even in the 1s. Except when I use Hello Hydration, then my nape hair thinks it's 3a also! However no matter what it looks like at its wurliest, they do drop out straighter pretty fast. I almost feel like we need a separate and different modifier defining if texture drops out easily or stays stubbornly in, but maybe that's just an "am I 2c/3a" thing? Do other hairtypes have that happen?

MusicalSpoons
December 16th, 2018, 06:09 PM
Well, going by the Visual Hairtyping Guide here (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=116252), we're all 3a.
3a - big, loose spiral curls

:shrug:

Like enting, it's that flat-on look compared to the 3D from our perspective that doesn't come across in pics. But from what I've seen, the 3a people on here have tighter spirals and their hair doesn't have that long, soft curl look that the sausage ringlets give. And most every time I've asked here about my own hair, I've been told 2a, 2b or 2b/2c and rarely 2c, but have continued to be confuzzled because:

2b - shorter, more distinct S-waves (similar to waves from braiding damp hair)
2c - distinct S-waves and the odd spiral curl forming here and there

Even though our spirals don't hang around, I think the base pattern is always there, and is what hairtyping goes off of, regardless of what length, manipulation, weather, etc., does to it? We still have that texture that we're dealing with initially. The only thing I struggle with is the CG method--it's too much moisture for the delicacy of my all virgin, low-porous hair.

I see this often in hairtyping pics, where there are elongated spirals but people are told 2a, 2b, or even 1c/2a(!!) based on the length of their 'waves' - usually when someone's just discovering their hair has texture, so they aren't necessarily giving their nascent curls lots of moisture, but still - a spiral is a spiral, no matter how elongated or flattened it is. If it turns about an axis, it's a spiral! :shrug:

Edit: to clarify, I'm not referring to instances when there's just one single spiral, but when the 'wave pattern' actually consists of stretched out spirals, but all the other comments call them waves (and I therefore just stay silent). I get that the fact I'm in the minority when I read those threads maybe indicates I am wrong, but based on the rest of this thread, I'm beginning to think maybe I'm not always wrong about it :laugh:

elfynity
December 17th, 2018, 02:38 AM
Even though our spirals don't hang around, I think the base pattern is always there ...
We still have that texture that we're dealing with initially...
The only thing I struggle with is the CG method--it's too much moisture for the delicacy of my all virgin, low-porous hair.

ETA:... But that spiral perm lasted waaaaaaaaaaaaaay longer than any other perm, and didn't really lose shape or grow out...

All the above!

'Even though our spirals don't hang around, I think the base pattern is always there ...' this is my biggest challenge. i think it might be hard to explain this concept, but whether my hair visually has spirals right now or not, I always have to treat it like it does.

We are definitely that in-between stage where our spirals are weakly formed, but i find that we cannot treat our hair like it just has waves.

GrowlingCupcake
December 17th, 2018, 05:17 AM

Most accurately, I see this as a 3aa - a is the loosest, with c the tightest, so these would be aa level loose spirals.

On your picures, it's so obvious to me it spirals, especially with your hair. The colour variation makes it easy to follow.

In other people's photos, I'm also seeing a lot of loose spirals.

The viewing it makes so much sense; when I try to scrunch/squish to condish my hair behaves like curls, instead of waves (is that for all wavies?), and I can see spirals forms as it dries. They'd be way looser than the 3aa/2d spirals, but they're still obviously spirals.

lithostoic
December 17th, 2018, 07:25 AM
I would call my mom's hair 2b and it is made of spirals. They are loose spirals, but curls nevertheless c:

*Wednesday*
December 17th, 2018, 10:01 AM
I classified myself 2a then was suggested a 2b. Am I correct. This is my hair after dried? Sorry pic is sideways.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34543&d=1545065772

ReadingRenee
December 17th, 2018, 11:26 AM
Such an interesting thread. I have lots of spiral sausage curls underneath my canopy and if I brush my hair out, the bottom will form into large sausage curls at the ends sometimes. The first day I wash I have lots of spirals but I also have s wavy pieces as well. I never know what to call myself but I know my hair doesn't look like the OP's! only my underside looks like that. By day 2, most of my spirals have fallen out, and by day 3 I have very loose waves.

I think I have classified myself as a 2b on here.

littlestarface
December 17th, 2018, 11:41 AM
I classified myself 2a then was suggested a 2b. Am I correct. This is my hair after dried? Sorry pic is sideways.

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34543&d=1545065772
Oh yea yours is 2b for sure, you classified yourself perfect.

*Wednesday*
December 17th, 2018, 12:55 PM
Oh yea yours is 2b for sure, you classified yourself perfect.

Thank you littlestarface. ☺

Arciela
December 17th, 2018, 02:41 PM
I always have trouble hair typing my hair as well. The pictures to me all look different on various websites showing the types.

In the end I decided 2c because I have tons of waves, curls, ringlets, etc.

Cate36
December 17th, 2018, 03:03 PM
This is my hair.. or it was before the damage! No frizz, but a lot of natural curls that fall into ringlets.. I love your hair, it's beautiful :)

Hailwidis
December 17th, 2018, 03:29 PM
I have the loose ringlets too (ignore my profile pic, that's after brushing, before I knew better) :) I always felt I was more than a 2a/2b, but less than a 2c/3a. I feel like hairtyping doesn't do our kind or wave/curl pattern justice. It doesn't help that I have a mix of textures growing from different parts of my head (2a for the very top layer, then loose spirals underneath, which are most corkscrew-y on the sides).

Crystawni
December 17th, 2018, 05:14 PM
I see this often in hairtyping pics, where there are elongated spirals but people are told 2a, 2b, or even 1c/2a(!!) based on the length of their 'waves' - usually when someone's just discovering their hair has texture, so they aren't necessarily giving their nascent curls lots of moisture, but still - a spiral is a spiral, no matter how elongated or flattened it is. If it turns about an axis, it's a spiral! :shrug:

Edit: to clarify, I'm not referring to instances when there's just one single spiral, but when the 'wave pattern' actually consists of stretched out spirals, but all the other comments call them waves (and I therefore just stay silent). I get that the fact I'm in the minority when I read those threads maybe indicates I am wrong, but based on the rest of this thread, I'm beginning to think maybe I'm not always wrong about it :laugh:

You and me both! I even left the Wavy and Wurly thread a while back because I felt like I was hitting my head against a brick wall. See? :brickwall Hairtyping is not just about visual wavelength, but it seems that's the go-to benchmark, especially for those members who have braid-wavy hair. But loose spirals don't make for tight, bumpy waves, so as displaced curlies, those of us with these drawn out spirals are lumped in as all-range wavies. I guess those here with these lazy boings have to hold hands as we form a circle in the 3a camp, and embrace the curly side of things, however tentative. :grouphug: (And yup, I've updated my type to 3a as a nod to my whirls.)

As you said, MusicalSpoons, this is it in a nutshell:
a spiral is a spiral, no matter how elongated or flattened it is. If it turns about an axis, it's a spiral!

If I went by my shed hairs that look like S waves (as they've often come from bunned hair), I'd be 2b, but the ones I shed in the shower get their coil on, so are actually 3a.

And another irk--hair strand thickness doesn't factor into it, but tends to on hairtyping guides. :wethree:

This article (https://www.curlcentric.com/hair-typing-system/) is just full on confusing, but highlights how messed up the whole system is.

lapushka
December 17th, 2018, 05:24 PM
Wednesday, I would call that 2b and if you have a few ringlets anywhere underneath, it is 2c rather.

*Wednesday*
December 17th, 2018, 05:48 PM
Wednesday, I would call that 2b and if you have a few ringlets anywhere underneath, it is 2c rather.

My only spirals formed around my temple/nap when hair was shorter. I remeber you calling a 2b on me (from a 2a), I feel comfy with that. ☺

lithostoic
December 18th, 2018, 08:26 AM
My waves look more like rope braid waves than english braid waves. In fact, rope braiding is how I maintain my texture overnight.

spidermom
December 18th, 2018, 10:13 AM
The information out there is often contradictory, thus confusing. I'd have to say that my hair generally looks more like 1C, not straight but not wavy either. However, as I said above, every once in awhile, I get spiral curls all over the place that will look like 3A (like my sig pic; trust me, those are full-on spirals, not waves) until I comb them out and put my hair up or braid it.

Cinnamonagouti
December 18th, 2018, 03:48 PM
Hmm I really need to try that! I usually sleep in an English braid, which gives me really pretty braid waves but not much of my original texture left.

Cinnamonagouti
December 18th, 2018, 04:06 PM
It's so funny so many of you could relate! I feel like it would be better with a classifying system that says 1. which texture pattern and 2. how tight is (and maybe 3. how many waves/curls - none - I guess that would be straight hair - in parts of the hair or all over). Well I guess that's kind of what the 1a-4c typing system is trying to do but apparently it's not always working that well. And as for the 4 category, if I'm not mistaken, 4a is spiral coils (or is it s-coils?) and 4b is z-coils (and 4c is..??). So, they all are really tightly coiled hair, but just with different patterns. I think it should be like that for curly and wavy hair too. Because now I guess that IS the idea with the hair typing system, but still it somehow assumes that just because you have spiral curls, they need to be tighter than 2c waves. Or just because you have waves they need to be looser than the type 3s. It's like it's going from 2a-3c where 2a is the loosest and 3c the tightest, but at the same times it assumes that 2 is waves and 3 is curls. Do you get my idea?

Actually I saw a guy with waist length hair today, and he had pretty tight S-waves. You could really see that they were waves and not ringlets, as they were 2-dimensional and changed direction ad every turn (as opposed to ringlets that continues in the same direction). But they looked at least as tight as 3b-curls, or even 3c at some points; the part in between the turns were horizontal. I looked way tighter than the typical 2c hair, but still wasn't curly. I guess it's the opposite of my situation.

It is also confusing, because often in hair typing pics they do show pictures of spirally hair for 2c, while the text clearly states "S-waves".

Crystawni
December 18th, 2018, 04:18 PM
My waves look more like rope braid waves than english braid waves. In fact, rope braiding is how I maintain my texture overnight.

I haven't done rope braids in ages, but must give it a go some time. I also find my twirled buns (Gibraltar compared to LWB), where the ponytail part is twisted before bunning, retain a little bit of my texture and gives me big, curly ends.

spidermom, I get the feeling your hair is a closet curly, too. It certainly reminds me of mine. It's those straighter-hair days that can feel a bit fraudulent, yanno (well, for me), but if it's there, it's there. And trying to figure out the nature of the beast and how to tame it (or embrace it if/when it wants to play on the curly side of life) is what it's all about.

Cinnamonagouti, yup, I get what you mean. If there was a classification for slinked-out sausage ringlets, that'd be us, and as mentioned by GrowlingCupcake, it would be the first one in the curlies, mayhaps pushing the next classification up?/down? a rung (so adding a classification to the 3s).

My ringlets have a dividing line for left and right hemisphere, with one side coiling one way, and the reverse for the other. :rolling:

wo
December 18th, 2018, 04:48 PM
I agree with Lithostoic, rope braiding overnight saves my curls almost as good as new! Whereas normal braiding makes it a weird bent-curls texture lol. I discovered that a few months ago and it was a big improvement for me. I still usually sleep with just a loose scrunchie but if I want it more contained I do a side rope braid. 👍

Cinnamonagouti
December 18th, 2018, 04:53 PM
My ringlets have a dividing line for left and right hemisphere, with one side coiling one way, and the reverse for the other. :rolling:

Yes mine too, they coil towards the face on both sides. I've always assumed that's most common? The curls are tighter and easier to define at the right side, though. And sometimes (especially when the curls start to drop), they change direction halfway down. So it looks like a curl, then like 2 cm of an S-wave and then starts to curl again.

Crystawni
December 18th, 2018, 05:02 PM
Yes mine too, they coil towards the face on both sides. I've always assumed that's most common? The curls are tighter and easier to define at the right side, though. And sometimes (especially when the curls start to drop), they change direction halfway down. So it looks like a curl, then like 2 cm of an S-wave and then starts to curl again.

Bahahaha! Same!! And yeah, I'm laughing because I haven't noticed this, but there it is. It's so good to have people who can relate! I was adopted at birth, so much of what I "know" about me has been through trial, error, what my husband notices, and studying my kids (and their kids). :o

spidermom
December 18th, 2018, 06:46 PM
And do you get double-helix (DNA) curls? I had one (or is that 2?) when I woke up this morning from sleeping on wet hair.

lithostoic
December 18th, 2018, 06:47 PM
Mine all go the same direction! On the left side they curl away from my face and on the right they curl towards it.

Crystawni
December 18th, 2018, 06:57 PM
And do you get double-helix (DNA) curls? I had one (or is that 2?) when I woke up this morning from sleeping on wet hair.

For sure! I just went on a pic-hunt, and this one on the right shows one trying to form in a mess of frizz:

https://i.imgur.com/x43Ybrf.jpg

littlestarface
December 18th, 2018, 06:59 PM
For sure! I just went on a pic-hunt, and this one on the right shows one trying to form in a mess of frizz:

https://i.imgur.com/x43Ybrf.jpg

You have such cute hair!

Crystawni
December 18th, 2018, 07:08 PM
Why thank you, littlestarface! :smooch: It wants to grow, um... down to be yours one day.

lithostoic
December 18th, 2018, 07:45 PM
Ha! Love the helix curls.

Crystawni
December 18th, 2018, 07:50 PM
Hehehe, it's just part of my DNA. :henny:

Cinnamonagouti
December 19th, 2018, 01:31 AM
Haha yep!! I have both RNA and DNA curls. And sausage curls when they are like three or four that curls around each other...

enting
December 19th, 2018, 05:38 AM
Well if we're getting into nucleic acid formations, I may have some tangles resulting from tRNA formations.... :lol:
A lot of my helices continue for a while, travel aimlessly for a bit, and then decide they need to spiral in the opposite direction. Maybe I should call it "broken slinky texture".

Cinnamonagouti
December 19th, 2018, 05:58 AM
Well if we're getting into nucleic acid formations, I may have some tangles resulting from tRNA formations.... :lol:
A lot of my helices continue for a while, travel aimlessly for a bit, and then decide they need to spiral in the opposite direction. Maybe I should call it "broken slinky texture".
:lol:

Yes my hair does that sometimes, just changing direction halfway down

spidermom
December 23rd, 2018, 09:32 PM
I came back with a couple of pictures because I think my hair fits more with this category in its completely unmanipulated, natural state. Most are spirals, not S-waves or similar to braid waves.
https://i.imgur.com/25YrUgj.jpg?1https://i.imgur.com/quxoPOj.jpg?1

However, after combing and wearing in a top of head looped ponytail for sleep, my hair is like this:
https://i.imgur.com/NLRw59j.jpg?3

So what is this? 2D/1C?

Crystawni
December 23rd, 2018, 09:50 PM
Yup indeedy! We could be hair twins, spidermom, I swear. My hair gets that flatter look too; this is a pic from ages ago when it had more layers, with brushed out bun waves:

https://i.imgur.com/WTImWHA.jpg

spidermom
December 23rd, 2018, 10:56 PM
Ah-ha! Yes; I believe we are hair twins.

MusicalSpoons
December 24th, 2018, 07:53 AM
As far as I understand, hairtyping is classifying your hair in its 'completely unmanipulated, natural state' (to use spidermom's words) so you guys with spirals are surely all around 3a, regardless of what your hair does when manipulated?

lithostoic
December 26th, 2018, 07:02 AM
spidermom your dry hair looks like my wet hair!! The curls relax as it dries and I'm left with mostly straight hair.

Rowdy
December 26th, 2018, 08:22 AM
Well this thread has me all sorts of confused now. I was under the impression that ALL waves/curls/coils are spirals of increasing or decreasing diameter. I always considered 2c to be loose, larger diameter than 3a spirals that aren't tight enough to read as curls. :confused:

elfynity
December 26th, 2018, 11:11 AM
So what is this? 2D/1C?

Ha ha! Well said, that is me 1C/2D!

Hairkay
December 26th, 2018, 11:16 AM

Hair typing is never going to be perfect. I get double helix tight curls on 3c/4a hair. Even the spirals form another spiral. I even know about the broken slinky thing because I've got that too.

Haven
May 14th, 2019, 08:08 PM
This entire thread is making me heavily question if I'm really 2a :confused: None of the pictures in the pinned typing guide really resemble my texture.

This is a typing picture from a particularly good texture day - flat on top, but very loose spirals around an axis. (Sorry for the gigantic image!)
I haven't figured out yet how to achieve this result consistently or keep it overnight. Most days the waves are much less defined.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/305717604574691328/578036136178483221/20190415_175415.JPG

GrowlingCupcake
May 14th, 2019, 09:33 PM
Hair typing is done on freshly washed, air dried, unmanipulated hair. If that picture meets those criteria, I'd say 2a, maybe 2a/2b? Yours looks similar to mine, and mine are also very loose spirals around an axis.

I don't know if it's that the definition of "waves" needs to be changed to include 3d rather than just 2d s-waves or if the 3s need to be expanded to include spirals that are so loose they look wavy at best but it seems like many wavies, of varying intensities, have loose 3d spirals, not 2d s-waves.

LadyCelestina
May 15th, 2019, 01:20 AM
Being you, I wouldn't sweat the hairtype, Haven, your hair looks 2a to me just fine, esp if this is a day with more definition :) Look around the board - if you feel like you have more in common with 2a or even 1b/c people than you do with 2b, c and /3a people, then I would put in 2a :)

I've posted this before (some members might disagree but that's fine, we all have our opinion!), but I believe the hairtyping system has originated from curly hair online forums, but was adapted to suit our specific needs (ie. a larger population of straightish haired people, who require no manipulation post-wash for their hair to show texture). On the curly hair communities, the curls are typed once they are fully formed through haircare and styling, which makes sense because curly hair usually doesn't reach it's true potential until a few haircare tweaks have been applied (and most people on curly hair subs are going for maximum curl/minimum frizz). In other words, the typing picture for curlies might show a looser curl than what the person will wear on their head. In general this is not a huge problem, but it might lead some people to treat their hair as less curly than it is. For example the 3a curl only appears for many people once they style their hair. For curly hair, the "styling" and "care" overlap a lot.

Personally my hair dries into a mix of 2c/3b if I don't do anything to it, but putting in 2c/3b would make no sense. For a long time I had 2c/3a, then I switched to 3a/3b since I do have the 3b curl in my hair, but since the majority of it is looser textured I feel like I don't have as much in common with 3b people as I do with 2c/3a people... And that's what hairtyping should be used for - finding people with similar hair and learning from them :)

BTW - feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about the typing system originating on curly hair subs!

Begemot
May 15th, 2019, 03:07 AM
Your explanation makes perfect sense to me, LadyCelestina! Anyone with even slight waviness or curliness might want to try getting another hair typing picture after doing their best to bring out wave/curl definition.

Panthera
May 15th, 2019, 09:59 AM
Your curl pattern is quite similar to mine too. I call it curly but I feel like it's something just between 2C and 3A and after gaining some lenght, it's more wavy.

Edit/
Oh I didn't realise it was an old thread. :D but nice to see I'm not alone with hair that can't decide whether to be wavy or curly.

I don't like the "traditional" hair typing where you wash your hair and leave it like that. Some curls are naturally really dry and need extra moisture (= conditioner or oil) to stay curly. Like a dried up plant needing some watering. I'm sure some people think they're not real curls if you need conditioner to keep it that way but it's not that simple.

lapushka
May 15th, 2019, 11:33 AM
This entire thread is making me heavily question if I'm really 2a :confused: None of the pictures in the pinned typing guide really resemble my texture.

This is a typing picture from a particularly good texture day - flat on top, but very loose spirals around an axis. (Sorry for the gigantic image!)
I haven't figured out yet how to achieve this result consistently or keep it overnight. Most days the waves are much less defined.

https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/305717604574691328/578036136178483221/20190415_175415.JPG

That looks 2a/b to me; not too far off 2a, no, it's still loose waves. 2b is more like braid waves, which are much tighter.

ynne
August 27th, 2020, 02:29 PM
I realized I never posted here. I consider my hair 2c/3a as it varies a lot! Sometimes they go for a full ringlet and there's usually at least a few DNA curls.

These are some of my favorites from the last year and a half:

https://i.postimg.cc/J4TpScTh/200827.jpg

lapushka
August 27th, 2020, 04:10 PM
Aw those are cute! :inlove:

WavyWannabe
February 1st, 2021, 01:47 AM
Wait, so that means all waves are not super-stretched out spirals? :hmm:
I totally relate to what somebody said earlier about seeing spirals from a top-down perspective, but waves from the back.
I wash my hair upside down and when it is soaking wet it forms loose spirals. When dry I also get those clumps, and when I cup them in my hands it compacts to a large circle of about two inches in diameter.
All my hair is like that except for some clumps on my canopy (so the part that I can't directly see when washing upside-down, makes sense) that seem straight.
However because they're so loose the circles stretch down and my hair looks loosely wavy. I even get the straighter hemline, as opposed to the curlier ends mentioned at the beginning of the thread.
So 2a it is for me.

I had always assumed that all wave patterns, even those that look like braid waves, were actually very loose spirals.
Now if anybody with natural two-dimensional waves feels like posting a picture of wave up close, please do, I'm curious :)

Bat
February 1st, 2021, 03:21 AM
oops wrong topic

everyones hair looks great!