PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm having a big shed

Ophidian
December 13th, 2018, 09:59 PM
I'm feeling worried.

Whenever I start paying attention to how much I'm shedding, I think it's more than usual and automatically assume I'm going to lose half of my hair (yay anxiety). So I mostly try not to think about it. I very rarely measure length or circumference, and don't count hairs because that would be a slippery slope for me.

But this time I think it might actually be happening, and I'm wishing I had measured more regularly so I had a realistic idea of what is normal for me. When I've measured before I seem to be around 4 - 4.25" but I measured today and got 3.5. Maybe this kind of fluctuation is normal, but I feel like I'm losing more hair when washing and finger combing... maybe just because I'm looking for it?

There are some things that have happened over the last several months that I know could be contributing factors if it is a big shed:
-Relapse of some mental health issues, which impact my physical health (poor nutrition, weight loss, poor/irregular sleep, etc)
-Vitamin D deficiency, just starting taking a multivitamin again
-Started a new medication that is sometimes associated with hair loss (low dose though)
-General life stress (nothing out of the ordinary though)

I have been feeling better lately but it's too soon to tell if there is any improvement. Nothing has changed with my routine, other than my hair is close to waist now and I just started being able to do a lazy wrap and so my hair is straighter much of the time because it doesn't have the volume from twisted buns/braids. Maybe that could throw things off? I thought I was pulling it tight around my ponytail before too but who knows.

This is quite long, so thank you for reading. I think my only real question in this is: does anyone else find that their circumference naturally varies a bit due to things like season sheds, or is it fairly consistent? Other then that, I guess I'm just looking for some reassurance/emotional support - I know what I need to do for my overall health and I promise I'll go to a doctor if it really becomes a persistent problem. Just reaching out, as I know others have probably had similar experiences (either big sheds or some anxiety-related fear of them).

akurah
December 13th, 2018, 10:05 PM
It's going to take some time for the hair to fully recover. My bald spots are growing back in but they're only inches long. Be patient with your hair

leayellena
December 13th, 2018, 11:50 PM
my pony circ. is always 8 to 8.50 (3.15 to 3.35 inches). I sometimes have 7.50 (3 inches) when it's seasonal shedding. but it grows quickly back. that's the time I go full co-wash because flyaways are a nightmare. keep track of your shedding, just in case. and stay healthy of course :)

maborosi
December 14th, 2018, 04:05 AM
I'm in the same boat- at it's thickest my hair hit 4.1", and recently I measured it at a bit below 3.5". I've been sick since September, so I may be shedding because of that. :(
My hair definitely feels thinner, and I can see some areas on my scalp where it looks like I've got less hair than normal.

I've dealt with it by doing the following:

1. Try to up my protein intake (I'm on a dr-ordered very restricted diet ATM) with fish and tofu. I try to hit the DRA of protein each day but it's been hard.
2. Take my vitamins. (Multi, fishoil, D, etc)
3. Aggressively treat my hair as nicely as I can. (Protective updos all the time, LOC twice daily, protein + condition each wash- those are things that work for me. Oh, and cones. Lots of cones. I'm trying to reduce shedding as much as I can, so the way I feel, if I don't reduce friction, I could get to more tangles. More tangles = more manipulation = more breakage/pulling on roots)
4. Because it can probably only help, I'm using a scalp serum to stimulate some new growth. Will it help? Who knows?!

It's really frustrating, but I know that eventually, my hair will recover. I hope you're able to get your hair sorted out, too! :flower:

lapushka
December 14th, 2018, 05:28 AM
There are some things that have happened over the last several months that I know could be contributing factors if it is a big shed:
-Relapse of some mental health issues, which impact my physical health (poor nutrition, weight loss, poor/irregular sleep, etc)
-Vitamin D deficiency, just starting taking a multivitamin again
-Started a new medication that is sometimes associated with hair loss (low dose though)
-General life stress (nothing out of the ordinary though)

If you have had poor nutrition to the point of weight loss when you are a healthy weight, 9/10 that is the biggest thing here.

Your hair will bounce back as soon as that deficiency is back on track and your food intake as well. I would not worry too much.

Best of luck to you! :flower:

kitcatsmeow
December 14th, 2018, 06:04 AM
Ugh I’m so frustrated for you because I just went through he exact same thing! I even had some similar possible culprits.

New meds
Thinking my hair styles were too tight
Crohns flare which was causing malabsorption and anemia
And stress

I’ve been going through this for 15+months though and never lost hair like this so naturally I was panicking thinking there wasn’t much I could do. I have never had an issue with products and use the same brand but vary the type. Anyway, long story short it was indeed a conditioner that I had been using causing the shed. I have been using it for months when I first noticed and actually I was on my second bottle and since it’s an all natural conditioner, the ingredients can vary and I think the second bottle must have had a more concentrated amount of whatever I am sensitive to. As soon as I stopped using it, my hair normalized. I wasn’t putting it directly on my scalp but on the hair on my scalp (if that makes sense?) I am still so angry with myself for not realizing it sooner which is the only reason I’m telling you my sad story. Even if you think your routine ahead routine hasn’t changed, double and triple check everything just in case!

It could certainly be PTSD of sorts from stress. That has also happened to me after a huge flare about 4 years ago. It eventually stopped shedding and grew back. There is really nothing you can do if it’s that except take good care of you and your hair. It will stop falling and it will grow back. Mine came back thicker and healthier :)

Ophidian
December 14th, 2018, 07:35 AM
Thank you guys so much for the responses :flowers:. The practical reassurance really helps, and I appreciate hearing from others who have experienced a similar thing before and came out the other side (or are experiencing it now, in which case :grouphug:.)

lapushka
December 14th, 2018, 07:43 AM
If you like hearing about other's experiences.

I was borderline anorexic age 16/17 and just about 3 months of not eating "right", made me lose 1/3 of my circumference. My mom caught it all in time and shocked me back into reality. Thank God for that. It grew back, and about a year later the bulk was back on the very top of my head.

It will get better!

Ophidian
December 14th, 2018, 08:17 AM
Thank you for sharing that lapushka. I suspect you’re right and the likely cause here is nutrition. If I remember correctly I had another period of heavy shedding right before I started growing my hair out. I had been under a lot of stress and not taking care of the basics (food, sleep). My hair was short so I couldn’t see a difference, just noticed a lot coming out in the shower. That’s when I developed scalp problems too, which I’d never had before.

With that in mind, here are a few things I plan to do:
1) Keep taking multi and fish oil, ask Dr. about vitamin D supplementation
2) Come up with enough of a meal plan that I can stay on track with protein and healthy fats and make sure I’m getting enough calories (stress kills my appetite)
3) I’m good about protective styling and don’t have problems with tangles, but I will try to cut down on scalp friction when I’m washing. When I am having scalp flare ups (self diagnosed mild SD, responds well to Nizoral 1%) I often scritch with a wood comb before washing and massage in the medicated shampoo pretty thoroughly. That extra manipulation can’t be helping. Maybe just leaving it on for 5-10 min, which I already do, will be enough for it to do its job.

MusicalSpoons
December 14th, 2018, 09:24 AM
Sounds like you've got a good plan of action there, and I agree it sounds like the cause is nutrition. As for meal plans, maybe have a 'fallback' of smoothies and/or protein shakes for when your appetite is non-existent, so you can still get the calories and nutrients you need, even if it means sipping it slowly over the course of a few hours or whatever works for you :)

lapushka
December 14th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Thank you for sharing that lapushka. I suspect you’re right and the likely cause here is nutrition. If I remember correctly I had another period of heavy shedding right before I started growing my hair out. I had been under a lot of stress and not taking care of the basics (food, sleep). My hair was short so I couldn’t see a difference, just noticed a lot coming out in the shower. That’s when I developed scalp problems too, which I’d never had before.

With that in mind, here are a few things I plan to do:
1) Keep taking multi and fish oil, ask Dr. about vitamin D supplementation
2) Come up with enough of a meal plan that I can stay on track with protein and healthy fats and make sure I’m getting enough calories (stress kills my appetite)
3) I’m good about protective styling and don’t have problems with tangles, but I will try to cut down on scalp friction when I’m washing. When I am having scalp flare ups (self diagnosed mild SD, responds well to Nizoral 1%) I often scritch with a wood comb before washing and massage in the medicated shampoo pretty thoroughly. That extra manipulation can’t be helping. Maybe just leaving it on for 5-10 min, which I already do, will be enough for it to do its job.

That's what it does for me too, which is why I was borderline anorexic at a certain time in my life.

You need a different way to cope or it is going to come back to bite you in the behind. Several times. Now I make sure I eat, even when under stress. Even if it's a little, but that can make a difference!

Jo Ann
December 14th, 2018, 09:33 AM
If you've just started taking a medication associated with hair loss, even low dose, maybe the doctor can change it for you? That should ease some of your anxiety.

victorian girl
December 14th, 2018, 09:56 AM
Stress and mental health issues (anxiety/depression) kill my (usually pretty much non-existent already) appetite too! Your plan sounds very sensible, and I feel like I should to follow your example. I guess you do have some coping strategies regarding your mental health already, apart from the meds, so just don't forget about them, please-please-please, even when you're more or less fine. I do forget, usually, and doesn't do me (and my hair) any good. As for the meal plan - it's always good to have some easy standards options that are always on hand, even if they are not super healthy, as long as they are calorie dense. And to have some sort of a daily routine usually helps, but to establish it is a tricky task on its own. Wish you lots of health (and hair)!

spidermom
December 14th, 2018, 10:00 AM
I haven't measured for years, but when I did, my thickness varied between about 3.8 to 4.2 inches circumference. Big sheds were always followed by big regrows where I had thousands of short little hairs waving around on my head.

Cate36
December 14th, 2018, 02:36 PM
same same same... in fact I was coming onto the forum today to write about this issue.

My hair felt like it was really improving a few days ago.. with the olaplex etc.. then I made a silly mistake of having a treatment at a local hair dressers (who I do trust and have a massive clientele). They didn't do a Keratin treatment, but something else with protein and moisture (cannot recall the name).. it was supposed to reduce frizz (which it has) but not change curl etc. Anyway.. to apply it, he put it on my hair for 20 mins.. washed, then applied a mask.. blowdried my hair with a round brush whilst he mask was on (this was the bit I HATED) then rinsed and dried.

All the time I kept asking if hairs were coming out and he swore nothing was coming out.. but it feels thinner.. and when I washed it last night.. my pony tail when wet is SO SO thin.. I am SO scared.

I don't know if it was the hairdresser.. OR if my hair IS getting thinner.. it was thicker at the start of the year.. and then with the henna, MUCH thicker...I thought it was just breakage.. but now I am not sure because the hair on the back of my hair feels thin..

I don't have any bald patches... and my parting is not increasing or anything...

When dry, it looks thicker.. and I apply a very gentle volumizing foam from Trickovedic that has no nasties in and does really help it feel thicker.. so when dry, it looks OK..

But I am SO scared.. when wet it is SUPER thin...

I am taking every known vitamin tablet under the sun, eating protein (Daily, a small can of tuna, 2 pots of greek yogurt, 3 cups of full fat milk, lots of fruit and veg, and 1 or 2 eggs a day..)

I feel healthy in myself.. but the worry is overwhelming

I don't notice a lot of hair fall.. but then my hair is SO fine, I don't know if I would see it fall, and as I don't use a brush anymore, I can't see how much is collecting..

When all this started I went to a hairloss place (not a tricologist..) As a consequence I have a laser cap to use daily and some lotion to rub on my scalp. I wasn't using the lotion for a while because I was worried about putting chemicals on my scapl.. I think it has minoxodil in it.. but now I have started to use it...

:( . I am now tempted to go to a tricologist ...

Long and short.. I don't know what to do...

lapushka
December 14th, 2018, 02:46 PM
Cate, didn't you know the Keratin treatment aka Brazilian straightening will pull out curl (it is a straightening treatment) and can cause a lot of additional *damage*? It is not a treatment to *benefit* the hair in any way. I tried to tell you a little earlier on, hoping you wouldn't do it, because it seemed like you had no clue what you were in for. :flower:

We tried to tell you to just leave it alone, not go to additional hair appointments and just TLC your hair, with plenty of conditioning treatments as that is the ONLY thing that will help get it back to health.

ETA I feel so sorry for you.

Next time please do a lot of research and ask. There is a Keratin straightening thread on this forum. I would have to look for it; hang on!

Here are a few that might help:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=114713&highlight=keratin
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=61772&highlight=keratin
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=130725&highlight=keratin
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=146216&highlight=keratin

Cate36
December 14th, 2018, 02:51 PM
Cate, didn't you know the Keratin treatment aka Brazilian straightening will pull out curl (it is a straightening treatment) and can cause a lot of additional *damage*? It is not a treatment to *benefit* the hair in any way. I tried to tell you a little earlier on, hoping you wouldn't do it, because it seemed like you had no clue what you were in for. :flower:

We tried to tell you to just leave it alone, not go to additional hair appointments and just TLC your hair, with plenty of conditioning treatments as that is the ONLY thing that will help get it back to health.

ETA I feel so sorry for you.

Next time please do a lot of research and ask. There is a Keratin straightening thread on this forum. I would have to look for it; hang on!

Here are a few that might help:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=114713&highlight=keratin
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=61772&highlight=keratin
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=130725&highlight=keratin
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=146216&highlight=keratin

It wasn't keratin though.. it was something they said would strengthen, but not straighten :-( .... my hair is still super curly... and does feel stronger.. but... :-(

My hair is growing very fast as well.. I'm just scared because it does feel thinner.... I came out however, and swore I wouldn't go to any more hairdressers..

MusicalSpoons
December 14th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Honestly Cate36, I think you would benefit from just treating your hair nicely by doing what you know works, especially when you wash, keep up the Olaplex, and put up your hair and try to find something else to distract you from your hair. If it is up, it will be easier to put out of mind for at least short periods of time. And I mean this in the kindest way possible, because if you keep trying everything under the sun and constantly worrying, then the worry of shedding and breakage will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Do too much to it and it will eventually end up more damaged than it already is; stress too much and it will cause more shedding than is normal for you :flower:

You could call it benign neglect - sticking with what you know works, taking care of your hair, but otherwise not worrying or thinking too much about it. Benign neglect is highly recommended round here, when you've found a routine that works well :thumbsup:

/End thread derailment (sorry!)

Cate36
December 14th, 2018, 03:10 PM
Honestly Cate36, I think you would benefit from just treating your hair nicely by doing what you know works, especially when you wash, keep up the Olaplex, and put up your hair and try to find something else to distract you from your hair. If it is up, it will be easier to put out of mind for at least short periods of time. And I mean this in the kindest way possible, because if you keep trying everything under the sun and constantly worrying, then the worry of shedding and breakage will become a self-fulfilling prophecy. Do too much to it and it will eventually end up more damaged than it already is; stress too much and it will cause more shedding than is normal for you :flower:

You could call it benign neglect - sticking with what you know works, taking care of your hair, but otherwise not worrying or thinking too much about it. Benign neglect is highly recommended round here, when you've found a routine that works well :thumbsup:

/End thread derailment (sorry!)

Thank you so much .. this helps for sure... I've never been so scared in my life as I have been these last two months.. :(

I think the worst thing about this is that you feel so out or control.. the hairdressers, potions, treatments etc.. are a way to get back the feeling of control and feel like I am doing something... but I agree with you totally :-( . Letting it go.. is the best thing I could do for now.. I could weep though.. I don't know how long I need to wait until I know if it is getting better or worst..

The only positive I can see, is growth.. I measuring from my fringe, which is making its way down my nose :(...

lapushka
December 14th, 2018, 03:28 PM
It wasn't keratin though.. it was something they said would strengthen, but not straighten :-( .... my hair is still super curly... and does feel stronger.. but... :-(

My hair is growing very fast as well.. I'm just scared because it does feel thinner.... I came out however, and swore I wouldn't go to any more hairdressers..

I highly suspect it might have been a chemical process, Cate. I would stay away from hairdressers until your hair is back on track. I agree with MusicalSpoons on this. We are trying to tell you in the kindest way possible. I would continue with conditioning well, and also the Olaplex, but stop all else, please! :flower:

MusicalSpoons
December 14th, 2018, 03:32 PM
(I've replied on your original thread Cate :) )

Sparkles122
December 14th, 2018, 03:34 PM
I am absolutely terrified to go to another hair dresser. As much as I want to dye my fading hair, I just cannot and will not do it. I’m so done with hairdressers and I know that is the *only* way that I will get my hair back to what I want. I also know that as my hair fades my new growth will grow out brown. Cate, your hair looked so good in those photos, and honestly it didnt look thin at all to me. With the support and suggestions from everyone on here, I am just letting my hair be and letting it grow

lapushka
December 14th, 2018, 03:41 PM
I am absolutely terrified to go to another hair dresser. As much as I want to dye my fading hair, I just cannot and will not do it. I’m so done with hairdressers and I know that is the *only* way that I will get my hair back to what I want. I also know that as my hair fades my new growth will grow out brown. Cate, your hair looked so good in those photos, and honestly it didnt look thin at all to me. With the support and suggestions from everyone on here, I am just letting my hair be and letting it grow

That's amazing. Yes, it is sometimes hard to cut the ties and care for your hair yourself, but it really is for the best. Hairdressers will "lure" you into more damaging things.

Cate, why didn't you just have them do Olaplex? I would have been highly doubtful of something so vague and would never have allowed anyone to put something on my hair that I didn't know the full story on (that I could research fully on the net). But you live, you learn. Sometimes the hard way. :(

Cate36
December 14th, 2018, 05:15 PM
That's amazing. Yes, it is sometimes hard to cut the ties and care for your hair yourself, but it really is for the best. Hairdressers will "lure" you into more damaging things.

Cate, why didn't you just have them do Olaplex? I would have been highly doubtful of something so vague and would never have allowed anyone to put something on my hair that I didn't know the full story on (that I could research fully on the net). But you live, you learn. Sometimes the hard way. :(

I know :-( The place has got thousands of great reviews and is known for using high quality products.. they don't advertise and just go on word of mouth. I went there because they did that Keratin treatment the other place that specialises in damaged hair does and I wanted their honest (second) opinion on whether I should have it done.. They said that it was a great treatment.. but it WOULD relax the curl, and If I wanted to just get rid of frizz, strengthen my hair, and keep my curl, then this other treatment (produce fancy brochure, which I forgot to take home!) would do it... etc etc.. it was not keratin, but a smoothing repairing thing... sigh... I jumped... I think the most terrifying thing, is that I cannot tell if I am losing hair or not.. I'm not sure how to tell.. other than the feel..

lapushka
December 14th, 2018, 05:20 PM
I know :-( The place has got thousands of great reviews and is known for using high quality products.. they don't advertise and just go on word of mouth. I went there because they did that Keratin treatment the other place that specialises in damaged hair does and I wanted their honest (second) opinion on whether I should have it done.. They said that it was a great treatment.. but it WOULD relax the curl, and If I wanted to just get rid of frizz, strengthen my hair, and keep my curl, then this other treatment (produce fancy brochure, which I forgot to take home!) would do it... etc etc.. it was not keratin, but a smoothing repairing thing... sigh... I jumped... I think the most terrifying thing, is that I cannot tell if I am losing hair or not.. I'm not sure how to tell.. other than the feel..

Oh please don't stress about it too much. What's done = done. You can't turn back time. I've BTDT, and a couple of times. I kept damaging my hair at one point in my life. A few points in my life. Ugh... It sucks.

I would keep out of hairdresser's chairs from now on. :flower: Keratin treatments are known chemical processes and are damaging. There are people here who do them, but they *know* full well what they're getting themselves in for.

Ophidian
December 14th, 2018, 06:45 PM
my pony circ. is always 8 to 8.50 (3.15 to 3.35 inches). I sometimes have 7.50 (3 inches) when it's seasonal shedding. but it grows quickly back. that's the time I go full co-wash because flyaways are a nightmare. keep track of your shedding, just in case. and stay healthy of course :)

I haven't measured for years, but when I did, my thickness varied between about 3.8 to 4.2 inches circumference. Big sheds were always followed by big regrows where I had thousands of short little hairs waving around on my head.

Haha spidermom, that's so cute, I'm imagining them like a little field of sprouts :). It's good to know that others experience some variation in thickness. It make sense that bigger sheds would be a somewhat cyclical thing (seasonal, hormonal, etc) that could be exacerbated by other factors.

I'm in the same boat- at it's thickest my hair hit 4.1", and recently I measured it at a bit below 3.5". I've been sick since September, so I may be shedding because of that. :(
My hair definitely feels thinner, and I can see some areas on my scalp where it looks like I've got less hair than normal.

1. Try to up my protein intake (I'm on a dr-ordered very restricted diet ATM) with fish and tofu. I try to hit the DRA of protein each day but it's been hard.
3. Aggressively treat my hair as nicely as I can. (Protective updos all the time, LOC twice daily, protein + condition each wash- those are things that work for me. Oh, and cones. Lots of cones. I'm trying to reduce shedding as much as I can, so the way I feel, if I don't reduce friction, I could get to more tangles. More tangles = more manipulation = more breakage/pulling on roots)
4. Because it can probably only help, I'm using a scalp serum to stimulate some new growth. Will it help? Who knows?!

It's really frustrating, but I know that eventually, my hair will recover. I hope you're able to get your hair sorted out, too! :flower:

That is a very comforting thought. I really appreciate you taking the time to share what you have been doing to help with your own shedding. It provided a solid framework that got me thinking about little things I can easily address in the process of getting back on track with self care. I wish you and your absolutely gorgeous hair the best of luck :flowers:

Ugh I’m so frustrated for you because I just went through he exact same thing! I even had some similar possible culprits.

New meds
Thinking my hair styles were too tight
Crohns flare which was causing malabsorption and anemia
And stress

I’ve been going through this for 15+months though and never lost hair like this so naturally I was panicking thinking there wasn’t much I could do. I have never had an issue with products and use the same brand but vary the type. Anyway, long story short it was indeed a conditioner that I had been using causing the shed. I have been using it for months when I first noticed and actually I was on my second bottle and since it’s an all natural conditioner, the ingredients can vary and I think the second bottle must have had a more concentrated amount of whatever I am sensitive to. As soon as I stopped using it, my hair normalized. I wasn’t putting it directly on my scalp but on the hair on my scalp (if that makes sense?) I am still so angry with myself for not realizing it sooner which is the only reason I’m telling you my sad story. Even if you think your routine ahead routine hasn’t changed, double and triple check everything just in case!

It could certainly be PTSD of sorts from stress. That has also happened to me after a huge flare about 4 years ago. It eventually stopped shedding and grew back. There is really nothing you can do if it’s that except take good care of you and your hair. It will stop falling and it will grow back. Mine came back thicker and healthier :)

That is really really good to know! :flower: Thanks for sharing your experience.

Sounds like you've got a good plan of action there, and I agree it sounds like the cause is nutrition. As for meal plans, maybe have a 'fallback' of smoothies and/or protein shakes for when your appetite is non-existent, so you can still get the calories and nutrients you need, even if it means sipping it slowly over the course of a few hours or whatever works for you :)

That is such a good idea. I made myself a peanut butter chocolate smoothie as soon as I read your post and I gotta say, that might be a good way to help with the sugar cravings in a healthier way since banana is all I need for sweetener and I can add protein powder, nuts, and other things with some appreciable nutritional value. Thanks!!

If you've just started taking a medication associated with hair loss, even low dose, maybe the doctor can change it for you? That should ease some of your anxiety.

I'm considering that, since I haven't noticed any benefit from it anyway. We're kind of in the process of tweaking diagnosis and therefore treatment, and I'm not totally convinced that this is the right course of action. Definitely worth a conversation!

Stress and mental health issues (anxiety/depression) kill my (usually pretty much non-existent already) appetite too! Your plan sounds very sensible, and I feel like I should to follow your example. I guess you do have some coping strategies regarding your mental health already, apart from the meds, so just don't forget about them, please-please-please, even when you're more or less fine. I do forget, usually, and doesn't do me (and my hair) any good. As for the meal plan - it's always good to have some easy standards options that are always on hand, even if they are not super healthy, as long as they are calorie dense. And to have some sort of a daily routine usually helps, but to establish it is a tricky task on its own. Wish you lots of health (and hair)!

Thank you, so much, for the reminder to keep up with the coping strategies even with things are going better. Before I started backsliding a couple months I definitely let some stuff go by the wayside that I shouldn't have (therapy... a big one). I am back on the horse and working on putting together a good support system and better habits overall, but I definitely struggle a lot with routine. I tend to be really all or nothing and that does not contribute to sanity in the long run ;). Thanks for the support, and well wishes. All the best to you too :love:

Ophidian
January 2nd, 2019, 07:27 PM
Erm. You guys. Uhhh part of my problem may be that I was measuring differently :doh:. I just realized that when I got the 4.25" measurement I was holding my hair in a ponytail at about earlobe level on the back of my head, but when I measured recently and got 3.5" I had my hair draped over my shoulder and was measuring at about collarbone length. I just measured the first way again and got just under 4", which means that my hair has gotten a tad thinner but maybe not as much as I had thought. Major facepalm moment over here, but also I'm obviously pleased that maybe it's not as bad as I had thought.

Tinyponies
January 3rd, 2019, 01:38 AM
That’s great news Ophidian and quite funny too. :) I’ve been following as I’m losing hair too. I hope you figure it out / it stops soon.

aethyra
January 3rd, 2019, 01:27 PM

Yoy have the most beautiful hair I have ever seen in my entire life!! I have been wanting to tell you that!!! Your hair reminds me of satin and rubies.

Rosy blossom
January 3rd, 2019, 01:54 PM
Haven't read everyone's replies so don't know if someone already mentioned this but since taking biotin, my hair fall has decreased significantly. I'm only losing maybe 25% of what I used to so maybe try that (if you aren't already).

Dark40
January 3rd, 2019, 02:18 PM
Yes, poor nutrition could be the culprit of the bid shed. I remember one time in my life I wasn't getting enough protein in my diet, and I started to notice a big shed in the back of my hair as well! But after I started taking a multi-vitamin daily and getting a lot of protein and iron my hair grew back. I'm so sorry you are going through that. Once you start taking a multi-vitamin daily and get enough protein, iron, and vitmain-D in your diet your hair will grow back.

Ophidian
January 3rd, 2019, 10:28 PM
Yoy have the most beautiful hair I have ever seen in my entire life!! I have been wanting to tell you that!!! Your hair reminds me of satin and rubies.

Oh my gosh that is the most lovely compliment. Thank you so much, you made my day :crush:

Jo Ann
January 3rd, 2019, 10:45 PM
Ophidian, one thing I used to do when the kids were small was keep some Ensure and protein/energy bars in the trunk of my car. Maybe that trick can help you, too. I know sometimes, especially when one's mental health goes a bit haywire (I suffered from depression and anxiety), eating can be the furthest thing on one's mind. I found the easier/quicker I could make it to eat or drink something nutritious, the less of a hassle it was to avoid making something to eat. I always figured that, if all I had to do was twist off a cap and drink something, I could surely muster the energy to do so.

Ophidian
January 3rd, 2019, 10:52 PM
That is excellent advice Jo Ann. I've been good about making smoothies lately but I know that I've been in places before where even that feels like one more thing I don't have the motivation to do. At those times, it's probably not a bad plan to get some meal replacer type drinks/bars to have on hand to get in some extra calories.

Thanks for sharing your similar experience too. :heartbeat Sometimes it's hard to explain that it's not that I'm intentionally eating less, I just lose my appetite and the motivation to force myself to eat when it's the last thing on my mind. I've been doing good though in the last week or so so hopefully the positive trend will continue.

aethyra
January 3rd, 2019, 11:03 PM
Rubies are my favorite gemstone

Jo Ann
January 3rd, 2019, 11:23 PM
I'm glad I could help, Ophidian! Finding that motivation can be a real PITA :flower:

At my worst, I was sleeping more than 15 hours a day and was lucky if I took a shower once a month. I was much thinner than usual, but gradually, I was able to start feeling I was worthy enough to start taking care of myself. After about 18 months, I felt confident enough to go back to work--my two younger sons coming back home to me helped get me motivated to start taking care of myself again and get myself healthy again. I felt I couldn't be a proper mother to them if I couldn't be a proper "mother" to myself. Baby steps helped me accomplish my recovery.

Cate36
January 4th, 2019, 03:44 AM
On the subject of shedding, and anxiety.. I have a paranoia about it also, which I hope some may be able to help me mentally with so I don't overly stress.

Because my hair is compromised and thinner than it was, I watch every hair that comes out with horror.. I don't shed massively.. or unnaturally.. shedding is "normal" so maybe 50 a day? But I am wondering if we shed more the more we wash, and fuss with hair... because there is always hair "waiting" to come out.. ?

It's affecting me so much to think so, that it's playing on my mind during the day as I try not to touch my hair or scalp in fear.. or wince if anyone else touches it... At the moment I am washing my hair 3 times a week.. so every other day.. very gently - the scalp only and not the length.. trying not to brush in between washes... but ..well.. it's just playing on my mind because my hair is thinner than it was.

I can feel new growth on my scalp so all good there... but..)
But...
I think what stresses me, is because of the breakage, there are fewer longer strands.. and a heap of different length strands that need to catch up... does that make sense? So I really worry that the length will get thinner noticeably whilst the rest catches up? :-(.. or that before the new growth on my scalp can work its way down (in a couple of years say) to the rest and thicken everything up, that my hair will get thinner....

Does anyone have any words of wisdom that can help..... :( X

Has anyone had a similar issue? :(

lapushka
January 4th, 2019, 08:16 AM
Erm. You guys. Uhhh part of my problem may be that I was measuring differently :doh:. I just realized that when I got the 4.25" measurement I was holding my hair in a ponytail at about earlobe level on the back of my head, but when I measured recently and got 3.5" I had my hair draped over my shoulder and was measuring at about collarbone length. I just measured the first way again and got just under 4", which means that my hair has gotten a tad thinner but maybe not as much as I had thought. Major facepalm moment over here, but also I'm obviously pleased that maybe it's not as bad as I had thought.

I just make a "normal" ponytail in the middle of my head and measure. Going lower and pulling out the ponytail is not the idea, and it will give you a thinner measurement. But because you'd always have the same point of reference, making a regular ponytail would be the best option. :flower:

lapushka
January 4th, 2019, 08:19 AM
On the subject of shedding, and anxiety.. I have a paranoia about it also, which I hope some may be able to help me mentally with so I don't overly stress.

Because my hair is compromised and thinner than it was, I watch every hair that comes out with horror.. I don't shed massively.. or unnaturally.. shedding is "normal" so maybe 50 a day? But I am wondering if we shed more the more we wash, and fuss with hair... because there is always hair "waiting" to come out.. ?

It's affecting me so much to think so, that it's playing on my mind during the day as I try not to touch my hair or scalp in fear.. or wince if anyone else touches it... At the moment I am washing my hair 3 times a week.. so every other day.. very gently - the scalp only and not the length.. trying not to brush in between washes... but ..well.. it's just playing on my mind because my hair is thinner than it was.

I can feel new growth on my scalp so all good there... but..)
But...
I think what stresses me, is because of the breakage, there are fewer longer strands.. and a heap of different length strands that need to catch up... does that make sense? So I really worry that the length will get thinner noticeably whilst the rest catches up? :-(.. or that before the new growth on my scalp can work its way down (in a couple of years say) to the rest and thicken everything up, that my hair will get thinner....

Does anyone have any words of wisdom that can help..... :( X

Has anyone had a similar issue? :(

That's worrisome and... not exactly "normal" to worry so so much about each hair you shed.

I would leave it alone as much as you can, because you are throwing new things at it the more you get information on this board, and I would *not* do that. Just stick to benign neglect and your Olaplex and condition well each time you wash, and the rest should "fix itself" with... TIME and patience. I know it's hard. BTW, I have seen pictures of your hair and it looks just fine!!! I know you see it up close and it might be a different issue because it's not what it was, to you, but us looking at it... It's not that bad!

MusicalSpoons
January 4th, 2019, 08:26 AM
Cate I find I seem to lose more when I manipulate my scalp. So not at the slightest touch, but yes if I keep doing things to it (combing multiple times, changing hairstyles, putting stuff on my scalp, etc). If yours is similar, then take it as a sign not to fuss too much - but also not to be scared of anyone or anything accidentally touching your hair! That in itself will not make hairs fall out! If it does happen to make a hair or two break off in your situation, well you can be sure it was going to break off next time you wash or brush anyway so it's not made you lose any extra hair :)

Ophidian
March 31st, 2019, 10:38 PM
Time to post an update:

I’ve had low shedding for a solid few months now. :cheer: All said, I think I lost somewhere around 3/4 - 1 in. of thickness. I recently noticed a demarcation line of new growth about 4 inches down, and I seem to be sprouting baby hairs everywhere because the top of my head looks like a dandelion.

Eating well is still hit or miss, but I have gained some weight back, and I’ve been trying to keep things like nuts on hand so I can have a nutrient dense snack even if I don’t feel like a full meal. My appetite has been better though for the most part.

I do think nutrition was a factor, but I think it all goes back to stress since low appetite is a side effect for me. Last spring and summer I was working at a job that was causing a lot of anxiety, and the very early shifts coupled with the occasional overnight meant I was routinely missing sleep. And then I decided to apply for grad school, but ended up dropping out of a week into the semester (which was a good thing). Things have calmed down a lot since then.

I know I’ll never know exactly what caused it, but it was definitely a wake up call for me to pay more attention to basic self care. It’s important stuff.

Tinyponies
March 31st, 2019, 10:49 PM
That’s great news Ophidian, and I can so relate to the dandelion hairs! Steady away :)

Begemot
April 1st, 2019, 02:54 AM
I know I’ll never know exactly what caused it, but it was definitely a wake up call for me to pay more attention to basic self care. It’s important stuff.

I'm sorry you had to have that big shed as the wake-up call :( but I'm glad to hear you are taking good care of yourself now and are feeling better! This reminds me of the signature of Stray_mind: "When it rains, everything grows..." Nourish those little dandelions :flowers:

lapushka
April 1st, 2019, 06:40 AM
Wow 1 inch is quite a bit! But the new growth = very promising! :flower:

I'm glad it's going better with eating as well! Keep it up, girl! :cheer:

It is important. Very! ^^

milosmomma
April 1st, 2019, 07:11 AM
I have hugs and support! I am in the midst of growing back a post partum shed, I never measured my circumference as I think it would add to my stress and I'd shed more! What I did do was keep the balls of sheds everyday and monitor about how many and when it finally slowed down. I don't know if doing so actually helped but I was able to see it slowing after some months which calmed my anxiety. It could make other people have more anxiety so I'm not sure I recommend counting and collect your sheds everyday :) But my new growth is anywhere from 1-4 inches. My son is almost 16 months now but I shed until he was almost 9 months old and still have days where I lose over 100 hairs, but I think we shed more on our monthly cycle as well if you catch my drift. It seems like the other 3 weeks out of the months I am shedding back to normal, but that one week a month where the hormones are flaring cause me to lose more. It's the only thing I can see correlating. I wanted to share some pictures because even though "Yay it's growing back!" I think it looks kinda gross! :lol: Oh well I will take gross looking regrowth haha, it just reminds me of when I had bad bleach damage and short chunks breaking off but I can tell it's new growth this time.
https://i.imgur.com/zGNOuOtl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RRDzXOMl.jpg
Wishing everyone going through this support and relief, I know how stressful it is! This too shall(hopefully) pass. I understand how it feels and I am wishing for all of you guys affected to start noticing some new tufts! Mine snuck up on me one day not too long ago and the regrowth went unnoticed. I think I was regrowing while the shedding was still happening actually, and I'm hoping it sneaks up on you guys as well :)

Sparkles122
April 1st, 2019, 10:11 AM
I have hugs and support! I am in the midst of growing back a post partum shed, I never measured my circumference as I think it would add to my stress and I'd shed more! What I did do was keep the balls of sheds everyday and monitor about how many and when it finally slowed down. I don't know if doing so actually helped but I was able to see it slowing after some months which calmed my anxiety. It could make other people have more anxiety so I'm not sure I recommend counting and collect your sheds everyday :) But my new growth is anywhere from 1-4 inches. My son is almost 16 months now but I shed until he was almost 9 months old and still have days where I lose over 100 hairs, but I think we shed more on our monthly cycle as well if you catch my drift. It seems like the other 3 weeks out of the months I am shedding back to normal, but that one week a month where the hormones are flaring cause me to lose more. It's the only thing I can see correlating. I wanted to share some pictures because even though "Yay it's growing back!" I think it looks kinda gross! :lol: Oh well I will take gross looking regrowth haha, it just reminds me of when I had bad bleach damage and short chunks breaking off but I can tell it's new growth this time.
https://i.imgur.com/zGNOuOtl.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/RRDzXOMl.jpg
Wishing everyone going through this support and relief, I know how stressful it is! This too shall(hopefully) pass. I understand how it feels and I am wishing for all of you guys affected to start noticing some new tufts! Mine snuck up on me one day not too long ago and the regrowth went unnoticed. I think I was regrowing while the shedding was still happening actually, and I'm hoping it sneaks up on you guys as well :)

Mine was like that as well. It didnt happen with my first child but it sure did with my second. It looked just like that and I had bald spots where my hair started on my forehead, 2 of them, one on either side. It lasted until he was about 8-9 months and then it grew back even thicker with more texture

Ophidian
April 1st, 2019, 10:08 PM
Thank you all for the support :grouphug:. I know most of us go through this at one point or another, whether it’s postpartum shedding, illness, medications, stress, the list goes on! It is always comforting to know that others have been through the same thing and come out the other side :love:.

Milosmomma I hear you about the regrowth—it’s exciting because it means your hair is growing back in but it sure gets everywhere :lol:. Mine really suck up on me too. I just realized a few days ago that I had tufts at my temples and sideburns, all about 4” long, and when I brushed my hair flat against my head I could literally see a line of new ends all around the same length. Crazy (and nice) how it sneaks upon you :).