PDA

View Full Version : How much is your hair care routine influenced by the climate where you live?

almostghost
December 13th, 2018, 08:03 AM
Question in the title. Does your routine include steps specifically to deal with certain environmental conditions where you live, such as precipitation, temperature extremes, humidity, sunlight, wind, bugs, pollen, and so on?

(The reason I ask, if anyone is curious: I'm between jobs at the moment (I usually do seasonal work from late spring till early fall) and have applied for next year's work in lots of different regions with a great variety of climates. For example, a few are in the southwestern US, which is hot, dry, and sunny; some are in the Pacific Northwest, which is mild and quite humid and rainy; and others are in New England, which has warm, humid summers and cold winters with heavy snow, and so on. Anyway, I don't know where I'll end up yet, and wonder whether I'll end up making any changes. Also, it's just something I find interesting and am curious about :p )

TreesOfEternity
December 13th, 2018, 08:24 AM
I live in a really dry area so locking moisture in is key for me, I could do the best deep treatment possible and my hair would be dry hours later if I didn't seal it and kept it contained most of the time.

During summer it's really sunny and hot so I have to keep my hair contained as well, and covered so it doesn't get sun bleached and dry basically.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 13th, 2018, 08:46 AM
My routine is pretty much the same all year round.

lithostoic
December 13th, 2018, 09:03 AM
Yep there's a lot of humidity in southwest Florida so I have to use frizz control products and techniques, such as finger curling with gel.

I would like to add, my hair requires way more moisture this time of year when it is often cool and dry. I can't brush it without detangler. And it's fluffier.

AmaryllisRed
December 13th, 2018, 09:28 AM
When I was in a much rainier climate, I wore my hair curly much of the time. Pretty much a few hundred miles south of where I live now, my hair suddenly wants to be curly. It's like an imaginary line and once I cross it, waves become curls.

lapushka
December 13th, 2018, 09:56 AM
My routine is pretty much the same all year round.

Yep same here. We have 4 seasons where I live, and my routine never changes!

Jo Ann
December 13th, 2018, 10:04 AM
I'm also in southwest FL, Tampa Bay area to be exact, and my routine stays pretty much the same, although the products I use may vary. If I work outdoors during the summer, though, I might CO during the week, just to get the sweat out of my hair and scalp.

Alibran
December 13th, 2018, 10:12 AM
In summer, 'styling' involves lots of conditioner left in, then I put it in a bun as soon as it's close to dry, and it stays like that (apart from taking it down for as long as it takes to redo it) until the next time I wash it. It's too hot to have it touching me. I don't worry about the sun damaging it, though. It does lighten the dye - my dark brown is blonde towards the ends - but I don't have any trouble keeping it hydrated.

The rest of the year, I tend to wear it down a lot more, and use gel as well as conditioner to encourage the curls.

GreySelkie
December 13th, 2018, 10:27 AM
I'm from Scotland, where the weather seems to cycle through the seasons in a matter of hours! On the whole my haircare stays the same year round but I do make a few adjustments.
Scottish summers, when they're not raining, they're sticky and humid which makes my hair turn into a unmanageable frizzy mess. In summer I keep my hair up in a bun most of the time. On the rare occasions when the sun's out I'll stick a bandana on as well to stop my scalp from burning.
In winter, when it's usually cold, rainy and windy, I tend to opt for a braid that I can wear a hat with and use a bit more coconut oil on my ends. Lately I've been trying to experiment with protective styles that'll fit under a beanie - it's a bit of a feat with thick wavy hair!

blackgothicdoll
December 13th, 2018, 07:33 PM
My routine is seasonal. I'm a sweaty being, so I cowash daily in the summer. In the winter, I do not want my hair wet because it'll stay wet forever, so I only wash once a week and don't cowash in between. I also use shea butter and oils in the winter, in the summer I'll just use sunflower oil since cowashing won't remove any butter I put in my hair. I use a ton of product in the winter overall.... not much at all in warm weather since I'll just be putting more conditioner in the same day or the next morning. I still shampoo once a week and deep condition as well, though.

Sparkles122
December 13th, 2018, 07:38 PM
I’m in Eastern US we have 4 seasons and my routine stays the same. My scalp gets just as oily in the winter as it does the summer

Knightly
December 13th, 2018, 11:19 PM
Sure it is, I live in a semi desert kind of place so the environment is dry and really hot on summer and dry, windy and cold on winter. We also have a couple weeks per year where it rains almost 24/7. It's quite wild.
I gotta wash every day because I sweat a lot, put on some conditioner, oils or moisturizer to control frizz and dryness, and also gotta tie my hair to keep it from dust, sun, wind or anything.
It's soooo annoying, i freaking hate this climate :(

Longlegs
December 14th, 2018, 02:01 AM
It affects it quite a lot because we have very hard water here. I have to use a Malibu treatment regularly to get rid of mineral deposits that build up in my hair. I tie it up more in the summer to keep cool.

RoseChantel
December 14th, 2018, 04:42 AM
I live in the Midwest USA. Hot and humid during the summer and cold and dry during the winter. I use different hair products and more deep conditioning during the winter because my hair gets fragile dry and that's also when I seem to focus more on wanting to grow it out, whereas my hair loves the summer and I'd rather be outside than putting in a hair mask. I still use a pre-poo every time I shower during the summer, but it's usually more a lighter oil or rice water rinse rather than a deep condition. Hope that helps!

Ylva
December 23rd, 2018, 03:38 PM
My environment has a tendency to be on the dry side (and temperatures range from very cold to warm), so I suppose I have adjusted my haircare routine to this automatically. I try to lock in as much moisture as possible when I wash my hair. Overall, my haircare routine stays pretty similar all year round, just sometimes I need more moisture. And of course in the winter I can't go out with wet hair, so I might rarely end up blowdrying my hair for that purpose alone.

Reservechic
December 23rd, 2018, 05:41 PM
Where I live at it is mostly hot and humid all year found, except for this time of year, however, there have been quite a number of times when the weather has been in the 70s and even 80's during the Winter season, however, I have found that i can basically get away with using only product to style my hair with. And, even though I have naturally very dry, curly hair that is of fine texture, and I am currently using styling gel in my hair (Bounce Curl Light Creme Gel to be exact), my hair isn't super crunchy or severely dried out as well. Plus, it keep my hair from frizzing up no matter the weather outside or the season. So, I really don't have any major need to switch up products per season. Also, even though, in the past I used to rely heavily upon creamy based products to style my hair with during this time of year, my hair would always end up having a level of greasiness to it, which would affect affect my acne prone skin, nevertheless. And, when it comes to my using styling creams when the weather is very warm or hot out, it would add to the kevel of greasiness that I would experience, and then because the ones I own either provide a soft or light hold, the humidity levels would be crazy high, and there would be a lot of rainy periods that would go on during such time, plus, I actually experience more buildup with styling creams than I do with styling gel, but I had gone through a lot of styling gels, and now that I have finally come upon the perfect one for my hair, I haven't looked back. I plan to continue using Bounce Curl Light Creme Gel styler as my main styler, because it gives what I consider to be the perfect amount hold, leaves my hair very shiny, keeps my hair 100% frizz free, plus, when I wake is in the morning, my hair isn't all wild and crazy looking. And, I have never dealt with any buildup issues from this product, not once, and I can use it when I desire to wear my hair down curly or into a slicked back bun, which is how I'm currently rocking my hair now.

When it comes to what I use to wash my hair, I switch up products, but for me, I strictly stick with sulfate free cleansers to wash my hair with. I am okay with using shampoo or an actual co-wash to wash my hair with. I deep condition after I wash my hair with heat-primarily using my hair steamer for such. However, when I'm feeling lazy, I will use my Hot Head Thermal Conditioning Cap. I don't use oil on my hair to style it with, because it leaves my curls extra limp. I don't regularly pre-poo like I have done in the past with oil anymore. I only do it when I'm really in the mood for such. I own NB Paanacea Salve, which I will sometimes use as a pre-poo treatment as desired. However, I don't like to,bombard my hair and scalp with a lot of products, which is why, I keep things super basic.

I have been a faithful user of the Demnan brush when it comes to detangling my hair and always will be. Oh, and I do try to stretch my hair washes to every 7 days, but when my scalp eczema is flaring really badly, I will have to wash my hair sooner. Right now, I have been air drying my hair, but, I will start using a blow dryer to dry my hair with sometimes, and then opt to sometimes air dry my hair instead.

tThe only day that I practice major manipulation of my hair is on my wash days, in-between such, I use my fingers only towards styling my hair with. Oh, and I do not go by the Curly Gurl Method when it comes to the products that I choose to buy or use on my hair. I stick with my own method of caring for my hair, and as long as it works, than that's all fine and dandy with me.

So, no I don't go seasons, humidity levels, dew points, temps, or rain, when it comes to what I use in my hair, because what I am currently using to style my hair, along with the current hair care regimen that I have in place, allows me to be able to stand up to all of such conditions without fail.