PDA

View Full Version : Cornrow Braids

lizzyjam
December 13th, 2018, 03:52 AM
Hello! II want to get myself cornrows , but I heard such braids are very limited since hair grows out and it won't look as good. . Despite the fact that I'm half black, I never tried any "black hairstyles" before because growing up my white mom wouldn't let me and say they're ghetto. But now I'm going to be a new me and it's always good to be adventurous and try things different.Wanna try long cornrows like here http://africanamericanhairstyling.com/cornrow-braid-styles/ (https://curltalk.naturallycurly.com/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fafricanamericanhairsty ling.com%2Fcornrow-braid-styles%2F)
A little more info on my hair: It's type 3C fine hair, with low porosity, and unknown density (I think it's low too but not 100%). Also my hair is a dry mess at the moment because I've been too lazy to moisturize and probably doing something wrong in general anyway since it dries quickly, especially in the back of my head. Do I have to do something before heading to the salon to get my braids done or is that not necessary?

kitcatsmeow
December 13th, 2018, 05:51 AM
Hi and welcome! I think all those styles are gorgeous. I LOVE braided hair. My daughter is mixed and her half brother and sister are as well. Her mom just did a full head of braids for the first time and used braid hair to give her an ombré effect. It looks great...I’m sorry your mom wasn’t open to it but it’s great you’re exploring and doing what you want. So I would definitely do a deep treatment and use some leave in before going but definitely call and ask if they want you to come in with freshly washed hair or not. Also, research the salon and especially the stylist! Make sure itssomeone with amazing reviews. You don’t want something so tight it causes traction alopecia. On that note, I’d start wth a style that doesn’t have a million tiny braids for your first style. It will take longer to put in, longer to the put and probably be a bit more uncomfortable if you’ve never worn braids. Ok that’s just my 2 cents. I hope you love your new style and maybe will even post some pics for us :)

cjk
December 13th, 2018, 09:41 AM
Ghetto? Ugh.

If it makes you feel better, cornrow braids are also called Dutch braids. I wear two Dutch braids, often, and I'm a middle aged white guy with blond hair.

It's a style. And a pretty great one, at that.

If you want them, get them. But especially in the beginning, keep it simple and intentional looking. It's possible to go totally wild and fanciful, but that takes much longer and is less everyday appropriate.

lapushka
December 13th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Hello! II want to get myself cornrows , but I heard such braids are very limited since hair grows out and it won't look as good. . Despite the fact that I'm half black, I never tried any "black hairstyles" before because growing up my white mom wouldn't let me and say they're ghetto. But now I'm going to be a new me and it's always good to be adventurous and try things different.Wanna try long cornrows like here http://africanamericanhairstyling.com/cornrow-braid-styles/ (https://curltalk.naturallycurly.com/home/leaving?target=http%3A%2F%2Fafricanamericanhairsty ling.com%2Fcornrow-braid-styles%2F)
A little more info on my hair: It's type 3C fine hair, with low porosity, and unknown density (I think it's low too but not 100%). Also my hair is a dry mess at the moment because I've been too lazy to moisturize and probably doing something wrong in general anyway since it dries quickly, especially in the back of my head. Do I have to do something before heading to the salon to get my braids done or is that not necessary?

Welcome. I would not say they're ghetto, but cornrows can be tight, and *too* tight especially if you have them done, and it is better to leave hair alone as much as possible and for that wash 'n gos are really better than anything.

For that reason, I wouldn't do it.

Welcome to the forum!

Hairkay
December 14th, 2018, 05:50 AM
Hello and welcome Lizziejam,

I think cornrows are great as long as they are not too tight. I use chunky plaits/braids a lot. I do them myself so I know they aren't tight. It can be low manipulation styling. You can start simple like the two Dutch braids. You have to be careful with fine hair. Twists or flat twists are more gentle on fine hair. With braids I can leave my hair alone for days or a week at a time. I think that works better than those styles that are supposed to last up to 6 weeks because it can be tricky keeping hair moisturised as well as keeping the style fresh. I grew up in the Caribbean where cornrows are used a lot by everyone and it was never associated with "ghetto", it's just a hairstyle.

AutobotsAttack
December 15th, 2018, 12:43 AM
Welcome. I would not say they're ghetto, but cornrows can be tight, and *too* tight especially if you have them done, and it is better to leave hair alone as much as possible and for that wash 'n gos are really better than anything.

For that reason, I wouldn't do it.

Welcome to the forum!

I think it depends on hair texture. There’s quite a few ladies with Afro Textured hair that do well with cornrows. It’s all about how gentle you are. Most folks can’t have their cake and eat it too. Tight braids, look a bit neater and last longer, but you risk breakage and tension issues, looser cornrows frizz a lot quicker, but you risk pretty much no breakage if they’re protected and moisturized enough. Not all 3-4 textured hair types do well with wash n go’s. Keeping the hair out and about, can cause tangles, and breakage just as much as tension prone styles.

It’s all about how well you can protect your hair, and well you can manipulate it without causing too much of a mess. The more you approach the Kinky 4s, the more you need to keep the hair separated and moisturized. Since OP has fine hair, she probably would have to find a happy balance between protecting the hair, and not manipulating it too much.

AutobotsAttack
December 15th, 2018, 12:52 AM

I’d suggest finding someone who is gentle, or at least stressing the notion of the cornrows being a bit loose. I’d also suggest getting bigger cornrows. Bigger=less tension, less opportunity for breakage. Smaller=more manipulation, more tension across the surface area of your head.

As mentioned above, a wash, condition, and deep condition, with some gentle detangling prior to arriving should be enough.

I’d also get a solid hair care routine down pat. Braiding your hair won’t solve any problems you have with dryness and breakage. It’ll just cover it up. Although if you do get the braid, opt for human hair, get them installed bigger, and keep the fake hair as well as your real hair moisturized, and seal with whatever keeps moisture locked in. Keep your scalp clean as well. If you’re okay with a bit of frizz, you can wash your scalp with braids still in. Sleep with a bonnet or satin/silk scarf to preserve the style. I wouldn’t keep the braids in for more than 3 weeks though.

lapushka
December 15th, 2018, 07:58 AM
I think it depends on hair texture. There’s quite a few ladies with Afro Textured hair that do well with cornrows. It’s all about how gentle you are. Most folks can’t have their cake and eat it too. Tight braids, look a bit neater and last longer, but you risk breakage and tension issues, looser cornrows frizz a lot quicker, but you risk pretty much no breakage if they’re protected and moisturized enough. Not all 3-4 textured hair types do well with wash n go’s. Keeping the hair out and about, can cause tangles, and breakage just as much as tension prone styles.

It’s all about how well you can protect your hair, and well you can manipulate it without causing too much of a mess. The more you approach the Kinky 4s, the more you need to keep the hair separated and moisturized. Since OP has fine hair, she probably would have to find a happy balance between protecting the hair, and not manipulating it too much.

I agree, but a lot of girls or women get it done and I would not recommend that. I've seen a few vids on YT of damage due to braiding too tightly. You can hardly call it a protective style in that case!

AutobotsAttack
December 15th, 2018, 12:14 PM
I agree, but a lot of girls or women get it done and I would not recommend that. I've seen a few vids on YT of damage due to braiding too tightly. You can hardly call it a protective style in that case!

Oh yea definitely. I like the videos that show women who aren’t afraid to let the braids or twists fluff up naturally. I noticed most women who get them installed super tight just care about how style and how the braids look over hair and scalp health.

I used to care, but ever since I switched to doing my own braids, I welcome the puffiness. I kind of like that look. I get scalpy pretty easily too.

Hairkay
December 15th, 2018, 01:59 PM
Oh yea definitely. I like the videos that show women who aren’t afraid to let the braids or twists fluff up naturally. I noticed most women who get them installed super tight just care about how style and how the braids look over hair and scalp health.

I used to care, but ever since I switched to doing my own braids, I welcome the puffiness. I kind of like that look. I get scalpy pretty easily too.

I have noticed that those who manage to learn to do their own hair rarely seem to have the problem with hair done too tight because since it is their own head they can feel right away when it's tight and correct that. Once you are okay with some frizz it's easier to deal with type 4 hair. Those with the longest type 4 hair generally wear a lot of plaits/braids. My hair would have still been stuck at bsl, hovering around my shoulder if I depended on wash 'n goes and I'd have lots of ssks to deal with. There would also be a lot more lint to worry over too.

lithostoic
December 15th, 2018, 04:11 PM
I think you should try it!! Great way to keep hair moisturized and detangled over the span of a few days or even longer. You can even moisturize your hair while it's still in the braids :)

YvetteVarie
December 18th, 2018, 02:30 AM
As said earlier, try to avoid tension when getting the cornrow braids done. What I would suggest is first get your hair into a good state before getting the braids done. Braids have a way oof making one lazy when it comes to haircare (at least in my experience). So, before getting the cornrows, a good clarifying shampoo, nice protein treatment and a moisturizing deep conditioner are what I would recommend. Also, if you use synthetic hair, soaking it in ACV will get the coating on the hair off (most people are allergic to the coating). Remember to speak up if the stylist is pulling too tightly, and don't be affraid to leave the chair if the stylist doesn't listen to you.