PDA

View Full Version : What 1-3 products for your hair can you not do without... ?

Cate36
December 12th, 2018, 06:44 PM
What is the 1,2 or 3 products you cannot live without when it comes to your hair.. the product you have purchased again and again...

At the moment.. for me.. it's Olaplex.. how did I live without it.. it's made such a massive massive improvement to my hair and stopped shedding almost completely...

But I am so interested in other products that might help from the knowledge on this forum...

I've spent a fortune following ads online for various leave in conditioners, shampoos, hair repair oils, hair growth products...sigh.. like a maze...and most have done nothing.. the latest I received was OWAY leave in conditioning spray, and it made my fine hair feel so greasy..

Sooooo......

Would love to hear what people here use daily and find they cannot do without?

enting
December 12th, 2018, 06:58 PM
Shampoo, vinegar rinse (that usually has essential oils in it but also sometimes doesn't), oil.

I experiment with other shampoos but I mainly come back to head & shoulders. Oil is for combing and getting tangles out. My hair particularly likes sesame or canola or other oil of similar ceramide content. I don't use any of these daily, the shampoo and rinse are whenever I wash my hair, and the oil is mainly for maximum weight and slickness before trimming, or when my hair gets super tangly.

Cate36
December 12th, 2018, 07:00 PM
Shampoo, vinegar rinse (that usually has essential oils in it but also sometimes doesn't), oil.

I experiment with other shampoos but I mainly come back to head & shoulders. Oil is for combing and getting tangles out. My hair particularly likes sesame or canola or other oil of similar ceramide content. I don't use any of these daily, the shampoo and rinse are whenever I wash my hair, and the oil is mainly for maximum weight and slickness before trimming, or when my hair gets super tangly.

I've never tried sesame oil.. does it have a smell to it? Would be good for fine hair?

Arciela
December 12th, 2018, 07:10 PM
I'd say head and shoulders, briogeo dont despair repair mask, and nightblooming panacea :)

amiraaah
December 12th, 2018, 07:15 PM
Cate36 i know your question is for enting but i have like fine to medium hair and sesame oil (and mustard oil)work really well for my hair.but you have to try yourself and see because every one’s hair is different.

My favourite products that i can’t live without are herbal essences shampoo the argan oil or the coconut milk one both of them work well.oils for sure are very important in my hair care routine.chamomile hair rinse which i have been using lately And will never stop using it.

Ylva
December 12th, 2018, 07:31 PM
Hmm, that's a really difficult question. Of course, I need a whole range of products, but if I think about my holy grails, then for sure there are a few that just can't be beaten.

The best shampoo I've ever used is Natura Siberica Oblepikha Intensive Hydration Shampoo. I had never met a shampoo that felt like I had just rinsed out conditioner instead prior to this one.

Then, I'd have to mention O'Herbal Dry & Damaged Hair Flax Extract Hair Mask. It's my holy grail all-round conditioner that both hydrates and strengthens. My hair likes protein, so it's just perfect for me!

Finally, I'll say Olaplex as well. I could never have gotten this far with my bleach-damaged hair if it wasn't for that product.

Cate36
December 12th, 2018, 07:36 PM
Hmm, that's a really difficult question. Of course, I need a whole range of products, but if I think about my holy grails, then for sure there are a few that just can't be beaten.

The best shampoo I've ever used is Natura Siberica Oblepikha Intensive Hydration Shampoo. I had never met a shampoo that felt like I had just rinsed out conditioner instead prior to this one.

Then, I'd have to mention O'Herbal Dry & Damaged Hair Flax Extract Hair Mask. It's my holy grail all-round conditioner that both hydrates and strengthens. My hair likes protein, so it's just perfect for me!

Finally, I'll say Olaplex as well. I could never have gotten this far with my bleach-damaged hair if it wasn't for that product.

Ooo that shampoo sounds wonderful!

Growitagain28
December 12th, 2018, 07:38 PM
Aussie 3 minute miracle conditioner. It is the only conditioner I repeatedly buy and use. Holy grail! BioSilk for my flyaways. Pure Argan oil for my ends. Those are my repeats and use consistently.

HaMalka
December 12th, 2018, 07:55 PM
Suave Professionals Almond and Shea Butter Moisturizing Shampoo and Conditioner.

desisparkles
December 12th, 2018, 07:59 PM
#1 flax seed gel. This stuff really smoothes my frizzies and tames my hair to look so beautiful with zero effort.

I strayed away from using this because I took a hair break from styling and all products. Even though I'm still only lazy girl styling - turbie twist, add my flax seed gel, scrunch, veil or turbie again or scrunchie bun it's something that when I don't add a little to my hair it doesn't look half as good as it does just by adding it.

#2 my deep conditioners - sometimes I just add an oil to my condish instead but I always deep condish when I wash which is 2 to 3 times a week

#3 a tie between argan oil which i love for day 3 or 4 hair and my new pillow soft curlers I just got. They are so comfy to sleep in and give my hair body and a polished look with only minutes of effort. (included vid of curlers below)

https://youtu.be/B34X2zm0JaU?t=314

Reservechic
December 12th, 2018, 09:36 PM
1. Bounce Curl Light Creme Gel - This is the best styling gel I've ever found for my hair, and because of such, i haven't had any interest in using any other gels in my hair ever since. It's made out of 80% gel and 20% creme. It absorbs into my hair very quickly whether I use it on soaking wet hair or dry hair instead, it has a very light, sweet scent to it, almost like I am smelling a bit of pineapple. I can use it daily, and it never shows any signs of buildup or flaking. It provides hold without leaving my hair super crunchy, and most of all it can be used during all types of temps and weather conditions without fail. It is on the expensive side, but it is totally worth every penny.

2. Huetiful Hair Steamer - A hair steamer is definitely what I consider to be a luxury item, due to the high cost associated with such. I actually have 2 steamers, one that I paid for and one that I won in a contest a few years back. This works better than anything else that anyone could ever use to deep condition their hair with. I don't even know if the Huetiful Steamer is even made anymore, however, when it comes to anyone with hair, buying a hair steamer is one of the best investments that you could ever make towards improving the overall health of ones hair and maintaining such.

3. Denman Brush (Classic style)- For me, it gets out tangles like nothing else that I'd ever tried before in my life, and it aids very well with keeping my curls nicely elongated too.

I didn't mention about any specific shampoo, deep conditioner, leave-in conditioner, or other stylers, only because even though I do own quite a number of these things, at the end of the day, I wouldn't necessarily classify them as products that I could never live without. Now, I recently did a major haul, because I have been on the lookout for a good shampoo, because I want to start shampooing my hair again, and I got 2 new hair masks, a new leave-in conditioning spray, and a new curl cream as well. For me, a product that I couldn't see myself going without is definitely something that I can use all year round on my hair, not just during a certain season or seasons only, and most of all that actually lives up to all of it's claims. Which is why, I'm definitely keeping my fingers crossed that these new products that I recently hauled will do just that.

Dark40
December 12th, 2018, 09:49 PM
I would say my Queen Helene Cholesterol Hair Conditioning Cream, my Isoplus Leave-In Conditioner, and my Luster's Pink Oil Moisturizing Lotion.

chiapommama
December 12th, 2018, 09:55 PM
So far my two new faves are Garnier Fructis sleek and shine anti frizz serum and L'Oréal Damage Erasing Balm. Hair loves them both.

Jo Ann
December 12th, 2018, 11:08 PM
Spring Valley Argan Oil Serum from Wal-Mart and HH conditioner. There are other products I love, but these two are what I will NOT do without!

Cate36
December 13th, 2018, 01:47 AM
#1 flax seed gel. This stuff really smoothes my frizzies and tames my hair to look so beautiful with zero effort.

I strayed away from using this because I took a hair break from styling and all products. Even though I'm still only lazy girl styling - turbie twist, add my flax seed gel, scrunch, veil or turbie again or scrunchie bun it's something that when I don't add a little to my hair it doesn't look half as good as it does just by adding it.

#2 my deep conditioners - sometimes I just add an oil to my condish instead but I always deep condish when I wash which is 2 to 3 times a week

#3 a tie between argan oil which i love for day 3 or 4 hair and my new pillow soft curlers I just got. They are so comfy to sleep in and give my hair body and a polished look with only minutes of effort. (included vid of curlers below)

https://youtu.be/B34X2zm0JaU?t=314

Oooo I SO want to try the flaxseed gel.. do you make it? How does it work?

Estrid
December 13th, 2018, 01:50 AM
Shampoo (of any kind, my hair does not seem too picky there), jojoba oil and a comb/brush.

gustavonut
December 13th, 2018, 02:09 AM
Coconut oil, silk hair cap, a good comb/tangle teezer

Begemot
December 13th, 2018, 02:22 AM
My favorite brand atm is Organic Shop. Their Argan&Amla shampoo is amazing for me. So gentle and I love the scent of it. Favorite conditioner is the silver conditioner from Dermosil. It works like a reconstructive conditioner for me. I want to say supplements/diet as the final product... but I guess it doesn't count lol so I'll say scrunchies and invisibobbles.

ArabellaRose
December 13th, 2018, 04:46 AM
1) Loreal Elvive Dream Lengths Conditioner
2) Loreal Elvive Dream Lengths No Haircut Cream
3) Extra Virgin Olive Oil

My hair is at its best using all of these, I use the olive oil both in ROO and LCO.

RoseChantel
December 13th, 2018, 05:17 AM
I've only been trying to grow my hair now for about 2 years so I'm still experimenting with what works best for me. That being said, my current favorite shampoo/conditioner is Calia's Balancing Shampoo and Conditioner. Their leave-in condtioner has made a big difference in my hair too.

Palmers Coconut Deep Conditioner Protein packs are always stock piled in my bathroom and I use them a bunch of different ways to make masks.

My last one is actually a homemade oil blend that I make. I use it as a daily oil to help my hair stay hydrated, especially during the winter. I keep tweaking the recipe as I'm learning what ingridents work best, but it has made a huge difference in my hair.

lapushka
December 13th, 2018, 06:37 AM
Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner, for a second conditioner in WCC.

It is discontinued here, so I'm gonna have to live without it. I'm not going to spend a lot of money just to get it here. It's not worth all that to me either. It is the only thing that has my hair without knots. Thank goodness I have a lot stocked up, a whole box (about 20 bottles). But once I'm through those, I'm going to have to find alternatives. The Garnier Ultra Doux (WholeBlends/LovingBlends/UltimateBlends etc.) olive one and honey one are comparable and also the conditioner from Lidl for dry, damaged hair. The pink bottle from Aldi is OK too.

So it's not the end of the world. But still... I'll miss it!

For the rest regular the oil in ROO and my styling products for LOC/LCO.

almostghost
December 13th, 2018, 07:11 AM
1. Some SLS shampoo or other. Doesn't really matter which, but I can't do without my scalp washes. This is the only one that I really, honestly could not stand living without unless I shaved my head or something. I'm really liking the Garnier Whole Blends 'poos these days.
2. Either conditioner or coconut oil. I'm not sure which one I would miss more at this point, but I definitely need one or the other.
3. Henna glosses. Of course I could get by without them but I wouldn't like my hair as much.

I'm pretty dependent on my hair sticks too at this point, but I made them myself so hopefully they don't count as a "product" :whistle:

enting
December 13th, 2018, 07:44 AM
I've never tried sesame oil.. does it have a smell to it? Would be good for fine hair?

It does have a smell to it. I find that when I mix it with aloe it makes my hair smell like hay in the sunshine and I happen to love it, but not everyone will like it. By itself it smells... like sesame oil. I like it/don't mind it. But you will have to see for yourself if your hair likes it, everyone's hair is different and likes different things even if they're the same texture.

lapushka after having tried Hello Hydration that would totally be on my "most wanted regularly" list if it were available here. The few times I've tried it at other people's houses my hair bounced up so much! I understand why you'll miss it. I hadn't known what I was missing.

almostghost I wasn't counting anything solid and hard (a tool) as a "product", otherwise I'd have to add in my comb and hair pins.

nycelle
December 13th, 2018, 07:50 AM
Lowpoo.. not very particular as long as they clean well.
Protein free conditioners. There's a couple of brands I like, but I'm not fully committed.

Briogeo Dont Despair, Repair! Hair mask. This is the one deep conditioner I can't go without.

lapushka
December 13th, 2018, 08:18 AM
lapushka after having tried Hello Hydration that would totally be on my "most wanted regularly" list if it were available here. The few times I've tried it at other people's houses my hair bounced up so much! I understand why you'll miss it. I hadn't known what I was missing.

Gosh I know... it's sooo nice. I had been missing it so much and have incorporated it back into my routine my latest 2 washes. And the knots that I had in my hair: gone! I had been using so much stuff up, focusing on that mainly, not caring what type of conditioner or mask I "threw" into my hair. I should not have done that so carelessly. :o

lithostoic
December 13th, 2018, 09:08 AM
Shea Moisture 10in1 deep treatment for sure. Shea Moisture silicone-free detangler. And sweet almond oil!

spidermom
December 13th, 2018, 10:01 AM
Shampoo and conditioner. Anything else is bonus.

poli
December 13th, 2018, 12:40 PM
Sulfate shampoo for my scalp, protein free conditioner for my length and scissors for my ends :) and henna, so 4 things for me.

GrowlingCupcake
December 13th, 2018, 01:03 PM
My current holy grail products:
Nightblooming's Selkie Detangler - only detangler that has really worked on my hair.
Biosilk Silk Therapy - amazing for frizziness, softness, and gentle wave definition.
Joico K-PAK Intense Hydrator - I usually mix this with some Garnier Fructis 1 Minute Nourishing Mask (coconut) but that's because I want to make the bottle last; it helps so much with moisture, and softness.

I'm sure my HGs will change over time, but right now, these are the best I have found.

Edit: If we mean actually cannot do without, then of course shampoo, and conditioner are vital. And a comb/brush/clip of some kind. But I figure this is more about favourite products.

desisparkles
December 13th, 2018, 01:41 PM
Oooo I SO want to try the flaxseed gel.. do you make it? How does it work?

I do make it myself. This is the recipe I use and I will sometimes add in a little peppermint oil and/or some not your mothers smoothing cream then store it in the fridge. I have experimented adding diff oils and leave ins as well and I have liked every combo so far. I just add it in after I strain it and whisk with a fork. I have also added in hair gel as well to make it fridge free but I'm liking being gel free these days (flax seed gel isn't really gel it's just jelly like).

https://allwavyhair.com/2018/03/27/diy-easy-flax-seed-gel-no-nylons/

Obsidian
December 13th, 2018, 02:32 PM
Suave daily clarifying shampoo. I get build up easily on scalp and hair plus I have SD so I have to keep clean. Harsher cleansers are a necessity for me. May be replacing this with pantene ice shine.

Kirkland moisture shampoo, sulfate free. For days when I don't need to deep clean. Has cones so I often don't need to condition when using this.

Hello hydration conditioner- I can't use this consistently due to it irritating my scalp but I always have a bottle on hand for really dry hair days. Even a little pea sized on the ends helps a great deal.

Ophidian
December 13th, 2018, 05:38 PM
1) My herb wash powders (shikakai, methi, brahmi, hibiscus)
2) Nizoral
3) Unrefined coconut oil

gingerninja
December 13th, 2018, 05:40 PM
My holy grail products are Superdrug 's coconut and almond oil conditioner as this make my hair easier to detangle and keeps my hair hydrated longer, unrefined coconut oil for pre-poo and argan oil for a leave in.

lunalocks
December 13th, 2018, 06:10 PM
1. catnip - for the catnip tea I use instead of conditioner.
2. generic baby oil - a couple of drops on damp ends seals in moisture.
3. I love my shampoo: desert Essence organics Red Raspberry

My have to have tool is my George Michael wide tooth comb. I actually have two, but I LOVE the ivory one.

ExpectoPatronum
December 13th, 2018, 07:02 PM
For me, I think it's ACV rinses. I've started them with my use of shampoo bars and I've noticed that my hair is a lot shinier! I also really love Love Beauty and Planet conditioners. I use the lavender scented one and am on my second bottle of it and have no desire to try anything else.

desisparkles
December 13th, 2018, 09:10 PM
oops I can't believe I forgot about my scalp massager/shampoo brush. I will replace my #3 curlers with that. I use the rolencos brand one and it's made such a difference for me. I use low poo or cowash and I feel like it really gets my scalp clean and I will never be without a shampoo brush again.

Cate36
December 13th, 2018, 09:25 PM
oops I can't believe I forgot about my scalp massager/shampoo brush. I will replace my #3 curlers with that. I use the rolencos brand one and it's made such a difference for me. I use low poo or cowash and I feel like it really gets my scalp clean and I will never be without a shampoo brush again.

I keep looking at shampoo brushes and wondering if they are good! So this really helps! Thanks!

lapushka
December 14th, 2018, 12:46 PM
1) My herb wash powders (shikakai, methi, brahmi, hibiscus)
2) Nizoral
3) Unrefined coconut oil

Oh yes, I have that on hand indefinitely.

Ophidian
December 14th, 2018, 07:43 PM
Oh yes, I have that on hand indefinitely.
Me too. I think it was reading your advice to someone else about it that finally convinced me to bite the bullet :). I am a diehard herb washer at this point, but while that doesn't make my scalp worse like CO, it doesn't fix the problem either. So I use Nizoral a few times at the first sign of a flaky patch, and that gets it under control. Then I go back to my potion-making :D.

MamaLou
December 15th, 2018, 01:45 AM
1) Shampoo, anything gentle without silicones works, right now I'm using inecto argan shampoo.
2) Conditioner, anything that detangles well works, right now I'm using inecto coconut conditioner.
3) Oil, right now I'm using coconut oil, but other oils will probably work as well on my hair.

The only other product that I use on my hair is the hair repair cream from hair wonders (I'm also surprised I use so few products, I never realized that).

When it comes to tools I'm not a minimalist xD I ordered three more hairsticks :D

Stray_mind
December 15th, 2018, 04:47 AM
1) Eo laboratorie line of shampoos and conditioners. Especially the avocado one. I love them.

2) Rosemary essential oil. I recently discovered it and it is amazing for my scalp.

3) Avocado or jojoba oil for length and ends.