PDA

View Full Version : Homemade shampoo?

Dee94
December 9th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Hello. Does anyone have their own homemade shampoo? Or know of any that you can suggest? I want to make my own but don't know where to start. I also dont want to experiment too much.
Thanks.☺

MusicalSpoons
December 10th, 2018, 10:43 AM
Do you mean making your own conventional shampoo? Or an alternative?

I think a good place to start would just be to Google it to get a feel of what options there are. You can also buy shampoo bases and add essential oils, humectants, plant oils if you want, etc.

Ophidian
December 10th, 2018, 12:01 PM
Yes to what MusicalSpoons said about shampoo bases if you want a more conventional product. People also make their own shampoo bars if you're into soap making (which I gather is pretty involved). Or if you're looking into more alternative no-poo type washing methods you might want to look at the various options discussed in the recipes and herbal haircare forum (rye, herbs, etc).

lapushka
December 10th, 2018, 03:10 PM
If you want to venture into that, get pH strips and test the final product! Very important that the pH is right.

It is very hard to make your own shampoo. They do sell soapy bases that you can add your own EOs to and such, I know that.

CrowningGlory
December 10th, 2018, 10:48 PM
May I ask why you want to make your own shampoo? Perhaps if we know why you're wanting to do this (and I assume it's not because you love experimenting because you clearly said you don't want to experiment too much) we might be able to offer more specific answers.

May I just share my thoughts without meaning to be offensive? If your answer is to use more natural ingredients then there are several very good natural organic shampoos on the market. If it's to lessen the impact on the environment, then there are solid shampoo bars that do away with plastic packaging. If it's for allergies, that's trickier but there are gentle shampoos out there and as long as you read the ingredient list, you should find something to suit. If it's to save money, then I can understand that and don't really have an answer except that there are products that you can buy off the supermarket shelves that are reasonably priced and do a good job.

I've tried a lot of homemade shampoo recipes (eggs, clay, rye flour, oatmeal, and whatever else that fails to come to mind right now) with limited success. Some worked for a time, but none for very long. In the end I returned to more conventional products although I do prefer the solid shampoo bars (SLS free) from Ethique. Pricey but they last a long time and I love the results.

Joules
December 11th, 2018, 03:06 AM
Hello. Does anyone have their own homemade shampoo? Or know of any that you can suggest? I want to make my own but don't know where to start. I also dont want to experiment too much.
Thanks.☺

Then I'd suggest just sticking with whatever store-bought shampoo you like. DIYing cosmetics takes a lot of experimenting and tweaking (and subsequent wasting of products).

Kalamazoo
December 11th, 2018, 04:46 AM
I bought

Homemade Shampoo (Includes 34 Organic Shampoo Recipes!) by Jane Aniston from Amazon. The Kindle edition cost me $0.99 + tax.

There are several recipes in there that I want to try, but for now, I've returned to my tried-&-true favorite, Earthly Delight by Lafes, which I was able to buy on walmart.com