PDA

View Full Version : Silicones

Sparkles122
December 9th, 2018, 06:33 PM
Can someone please tell me the deal with silicones? Are they bad? Are they not bad? Should I stay away from them? Are they counterproductive? I didnt really know the difference beween a silicone based shampoo and non silicone shampoo before I came here.

akurah
December 9th, 2018, 06:45 PM
Shampoos generally don't have silicone unless they're 2-in-1s. Conditioners will sometimes have them. For the vast majority of people they are not harmful. The key factor for choosing really is if you like how your hair feels after using the product.

Sparkles122
December 9th, 2018, 06:47 PM
Shampoos generally don't have silicone unless they're 2-in-1s. Conditioners will sometimes have them. For the vast majority of people they are not harmful. The key factor for choosing really is if you like how your hair feels after using the product.

Ohhh so the pantene repair and protect shampoo and the pantene breakage defense shampoo have no silicones? Just conditioners?

illicitlizard
December 9th, 2018, 06:48 PM
'Cones are basically just to give the hair slip. Some people like them, some don't. If you do use them however they can build up which can lead to unpleasantness, so you need to clarify every so often with sulfates if you do choose to use cones.
They're not inherently good or bad. Some people just have a preference for one or the other. If you're already using silicones & sulfates and your hair/scalp is fine with it, no need to stop!

akurah
December 9th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Ohhh so the pantene repair and protect shampoo and the pantene breakage defense shampoo have no silicones? Just conditioners?

I'd need to see the ingredients to be sure, it varies from brand to brand. My go to brand, Head and Shoulders, uses silicones in their shampoo if I'm remembering right, but I could be misremembering the ingredients because I also use their 2-in-1.

Sparkles122
December 9th, 2018, 07:19 PM
I'd need to see the ingredients to be sure, it varies from brand to brand. My go to brand, Head and Shoulders, uses silicones in their shampoo if I'm remembering right, but I could be misremembering the ingredients because I also use their 2-in-1.

Ok im going to take a picture and show you

Sparkles122
December 9th, 2018, 07:25 PM
Here is both of them

https://postimg.cc/gallery/1i8v3wktk/

Obsidian
December 9th, 2018, 08:17 PM
Those both have cones, first one has dimethicone second one has dimethiconol. I have shampoos with and without cones, both are good in different ways.

Sparkles122
December 9th, 2018, 08:22 PM
Those both have cones, first one has dimethicone second one has dimethiconol. I have shampoos with and without cones, both are good in different ways.

My hair is loving the silicone right now, however I can see how it can become too much for my hair if I dont alternate with a non silicone shampoo. I just dont want to do anymore damage than what I have by using these shampoos with silicones

akurah
December 9th, 2018, 08:24 PM
My hair is loving the silicone right now, however I can see how it can become too much for my hair if I dont alternate with a non silicone shampoo. I just dont want to do anymore damage than what I have by using these shampoos with silicones

Silicones don't damage your hair.

Sparkles122
December 9th, 2018, 08:26 PM
Silicones don't damage your hair.

Ok good, that was basically what I was asking. I dont want to do anymore harm

The-Young-Maid
December 9th, 2018, 08:42 PM
Silicones don't damage the hair they just coat it. They might weigh your hair down a bit if they build up so occasional clarifying is important. If you have a sensitive scalp be careful with silicone shampoos. They can clog follicles and cause shedding. But if you have a normal scalp and haven't noticed any odd hair loss then keep using them.

Margrit
December 9th, 2018, 10:26 PM
I do have a sensitive scalp so I do not use silicones because I get itchiness.

cestlavie
December 10th, 2018, 04:33 AM
My hair turns into one dreadlock when I use cones. Correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that cones prevent moisture getting in the hair when it is put on hair that is already lacking moisture. So on day 1 it feels lovely and the next day the ends are dry and crunchy and that was something I have experienced in the past as well. Also, cones in shampoos cause a lot of build up in my hair. For some people it works great and for some it doesn't and you'll have to look for yourself what works for you best.

Joules
December 10th, 2018, 04:40 AM
My hair turns into one dreadlock when I use cones. Correct me if I'm wrong but I read somewhere that cones prevent moisture getting in the hair when it is put on hair that is already lacking moisture. So on day 1 it feels lovely and the next day the ends are dry and crunchy and that was something I have experienced in the past as well. Also, cones in shampoos cause a lot of build up in my hair. For some people it works great and for some it doesn't and you'll have to look for yourself what works for you best.

If silicones really blocked moisture from getting in or out, your hair wouldn't even dry after using a coney shampoo or conditioner, you'd be walking around with soaking wet hair until you clarify. Silicones allow air (and moisture in the air) to penetrate it. It's not shellac.

lapushka
December 10th, 2018, 05:18 AM

I disagree with akurah on this point... You have to judge shampoo by shampoo. About the only Pantene shampoos without silicones are the Pantene Aqua Light (which has been discontinued quite a bit) and the Pantene volumizing one. The rest you will have to check.

I recommend you familiarize yourself with ingredients and check your bottles for yourself, that is the best way to go. You can then look up the ingredients of something, or ask us to do it, and we'll see.

No silicones aren't bad, you just have to know how to deal with them. If you clarify once in a while, it's fine to use them.

There is nothing wrong with them at all. Some people prefer to use them. I tend to only like them in my conditioner, because I need to keep my shampoo as squeaky as possible (for my SD scalp).

Sparkles122
December 10th, 2018, 11:20 AM
So after using the silicone based shampoo for 2 washings, on the second day (i wash every other day) my scalp is slightly itchier than usual. I will keep an eye on this

Dark40
December 10th, 2018, 11:54 AM
I agree with akurah. Silicones don't damage your hair at all, and they do give your hair a nice slip. They also add shine to the hair too. But if you are going to use cones or slilicones it is best to clarify or use a shampoo that has sulfates in them to cleanse away the buildup.

akurah
December 10th, 2018, 01:38 PM
So after using the silicone based shampoo for 2 washings, on the second day (i wash every other day) my scalp is slightly itchier than usual. I will keep an eye on this

Just because your scalp is itching doesn't mean it's silicone. I'd suspect the fragrance as the culprit before the cones.

lapushka
December 10th, 2018, 02:37 PM
Just because your scalp is itching doesn't mean it's silicone. I'd suspect the fragrance as the culprit before the cones.

^^ This! I think you're a little "fast" at blaming silicones when it can be a whole slew of other things making your head itch. Silicones are easy enough to eliminate, so it's a good test, should it be that, it's easy enough to avoid.

Sparkles122
December 10th, 2018, 03:09 PM
No I wont blame the silicones yet because I really like how it feels when I shampoo my hair. However they do make my hair greasier faster

Alibran
December 10th, 2018, 03:10 PM
The reason why some people avoid silicones isn't because silicones are bad, but because the sulphates needed to remove silicones from the hair, and prevent build up, can be drying. If your hair can't handle the sulphates, it makes sense to avoid silicones, and eliminate the need for them. If your hair is fine with sulphates, there's no need to avoid silicones.

lapushka
December 10th, 2018, 04:34 PM
Do you have a shampoo that doesn't contain them yet?

Sparkles122
December 10th, 2018, 04:44 PM
I have a few different biolage ones that I think are all silicone free. I also have a sulfate free one I think its called broo shampoo. My hair didnt like sulfate free shampoo prior to my damage incident. I havent tried sulfate free on my damaged hair

lapushka
December 10th, 2018, 04:49 PM
I have a few different biolage ones that I think are all silicone free. I also have a sulfate free one I think its called broo shampoo. My hair didnt like sulfate free shampoo prior to my damage incident. I havent tried sulfate free on my damaged hair

Never heard of that brand. Where did you get it? :)

Sparkles122
December 10th, 2018, 04:52 PM
Never heard of that brand. Where did you get it? :)

https://broo.com/

I got it at a place called Mother Earth. I think CVS has it also

lapushka
December 10th, 2018, 05:30 PM
https://broo.com/

I got it at a place called Mother Earth. I think CVS has it also

Oh. Thanks so much for linking it. I totally had never heard of that brand. :) I'm in Belgium, so we can't get that here anyway. Not that I'm eager to try; but thank you anyway for answering my question. :flower: