PDA

View Full Version : Hi! Newbie + SD Sufferer

chrissy9184
December 9th, 2018, 02:06 PM
HI!

I am a total newbie here, but I've been stalking forums for quite a while and finally decided to join. Everyone just seemed so supportive, helpful and smart, especially in the realms where I'm struggling right now, so I figured... why not. To start off, I don't know all the fancy hair terminology, so forgive me for describing my condition/hair in the wrong ways. I'll be totally honest and say that I seriously haven't paid much attention to my hair in the past - I'm a 25 year old girl, and I've been blessed with very easy, manageable hair. I've never colored it or treated it, it's pretty thin/fine (it always has been) and I wash it every day. It's pretty long right now - a little below my chest.

Before people start giving me flack for washing my hair every day, let me give some background. My scalp hates me - which sounds like a lot of other people on here, thank goodness. In September, I got this seemingly-random flare-up of SD all over my scalp, behind my ears and on my temples. The worst areas were along my hairline - it was just this red crust/border of flakey, scaley skin that was irritated by everything. I cannot think of ANYTHING that would've triggered it, but it really started to drive me insane (and anxious), so I visited my doctor, who pretty much immediately diagnosed it as psoriasis. Cue serious anxiety and frantic googling of psoriasis, which is probably the absolute worst thing you can do - some of the pictures, articles and forums I found were terrifying, and sometimes I was reduced to tears when I let myself think about what I was in for.

After reading, I decided I needed to get some Selsun Blue and start conditioning my hair - because, in fact, psoriasis is dry skin and moisture helps. Obviously, things just got worse after conditioning.

I then visited a dermatologist, who took one look at my scalp and just said, "this is absolutely not psoriasis - this is seborrheic dermatitis." He had psoriasis himself, which made me feel much better - and honestly the SD diagnosis made a lot of sense, considering I've always had very oily skin and greasy hair. NOW we can cue more frantic googling and purchasing of different products - T/Gel, T/Sal, Head and Shoulders, Nizoral, DHS... you name it, I bought it. I also started washing my hair every day, only conditioning the roots and using a medicated shampoo 1-2 times per week, and alternating with Aveda Scalp Benefits shampoo.

After about a month and a half of doing this, I've seen great results - the flaking is pretty much gone, the red "border" is gone and the itch is mostly at bay, but I will say that I still get it in recurring small spots, which is very frustrating. It will go away and then just pop up again, and I cannot figure out why. There are a few patches along my scalp and behind my ears right now, and I get this burning sensation along my scalp at certain times, and my scalp does feel sore ever so often. It is a bit itchy, but not "unbearable," and when I do have to itch, I make sure it's gentle. I have it in a few very small patches on my face, but I've had some mild acne for as long as I can remember, so these really don't bother me at all - I may have had this for a long time, and for some reason it just flared. Also, I should probably mention that I'm also convinced I have SD in the vaginal/vulvar region, which is super duper fun -- my doctor took a look and my gyno took a look, and I was tested for a yeast infection - but everything came back normal and whatever it is looks "topical," so they say... which of course leads me to believe that yes, I am that lucky girl who not only has skin issues on her scalp, her face, her chest and back, but she also has it in her nether regions. It's wonderful.

Anyway, all this to say... I would love some recommendations/insights/thoughts from anyone who has had a similar experience with SD, or just some words of encouragement if I'm going to be stuck with this for the rest of my adult life. Of course after reading a few of the posts on here, I have become convinced that I'm shedding more than usual, although I have never in my life paid attention to how many hairs I lose while I brush in the morning and at night... so I'm 90% sure the hair "loss" is all in my head, and I'm also still just very confused as to whether SD even causes hair loss to begin with. It's shocking how little is known about this condition when so many freaking people have it.

If it helps, I'll also mention that I've gotten a water filter for my shower (this all seemed to start around the same exact time that I moved to an urban apartment, so this seemed like a logical route to take) and I've changed detergents for the outbreaks... down there... and nothing has changed in the vaginal area. I have not tried any diet adjustments, but I have always eaten fairly healthy and drink plenty of water (on most days), and my diet did not change when this started, so I do not think that's the cause.

I know this is long. Sorry! I've never really typed this out so it's actually pretty refreshing to share it with peeps. I am such an anxious person, as you can probably tell, so this whole saga has really taken a toll on me - as ridiculous as it may be to worry this much about a mild skin issue. Life will go on, and there are MUCH worse things I could be dealing with, and my fiance claims he never even noticed the flare when it was at its worst, so life is good. And it always will be, no matter how much worse this gets. That's a pep talk I give to myself very often. :-)

Ok I'm done. Thanks to whoever made it through this whole thing! YAY!

lapushka
December 9th, 2018, 03:25 PM
Nobody is going to give you flack for washing daily. Some people just have to do that and it's all over this forum; that acceptance.

In September, I got this seemingly-random flare-up of SD all over my scalp, behind my ears and on my temples. The worst areas were along my hairline - it was just this red crust/border of flakey, scaley skin that was irritated by everything. I cannot think of ANYTHING that would've triggered it, but it really started to drive me insane (and anxious), so I visited my doctor, who pretty much immediately diagnosed it as psoriasis. Cue serious anxiety and frantic googling of psoriasis, which is probably the absolute worst thing you can do - some of the pictures, articles and forums I found were terrifying, and sometimes I was reduced to tears when I let myself think about what I was in for.

After reading, I decided I needed to get some Selsun Blue and start conditioning my hair - because, in fact, psoriasis is dry skin and moisture helps. Obviously, things just got worse after conditioning.

I then visited a dermatologist, who took one look at my scalp and just said, "this is absolutely not psoriasis - this is seborrheic dermatitis." He had psoriasis himself, which made me feel much better - and honestly the SD diagnosis made a lot of sense, considering I've always had very oily skin and greasy hair. NOW we can cue more frantic googling and purchasing of different products - T/Gel, T/Sal, Head and Shoulders, Nizoral, DHS... you name it, I bought it. I also started washing my hair every day, only conditioning the roots and using a medicated shampoo 1-2 times per week, and alternating with Aveda Scalp Benefits shampoo.

Nizoral 2% helps for me, but in the US it is prescription. Did your doctor prescribe you anything, or are you buying OTC stuff? If so Nizoral 1% isn't going to do much if it's that bad.

If you still get the itch, it's not gone, and you need to keep washing with the medicated shampoo.

There is an SD thread on here, might want to check that out.
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54045

Welcome to the forum!

Lady Stardust
December 9th, 2018, 03:30 PM
Hello and welcome to the forum!

Do whatever you need to keep your scalp happy :) Lots of us here are frequent washers.

MusicalSpoons
December 9th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Welcome! I've had mild scalp issues myself (drs were no help) and it was a long road of experimenting, but worth the perseverance to finally find something that keeps my scalp happy. You'll get there, however long it takes, and it will be worth it!

One question, you mentioned conditioning your roots - just to clarify, do you mean putting conditioner on the hair hear your scalp? (If not, you mean the ends :wink: ) Just that's not usually recommended for SD - I say usually, because what actually works is different for everybody.

I think it is possible to be suffering with SD and dehydrated ('dry') skin at the same time from daily washing, and I don't know how you'd replenish the skin in a way that doesn't aggravate the SD. But that may well not be the case anyway; I'm just thinking that would really be the only downside of daily washing, especially if you protect your lengths with conditioner.

Anyway, keep reading here and investigating, and! Don't worry about shedding :) it's a common worry when we first start to just notice the hair we shed, plus if the SD is causing more shedding than you would otherwise have, sorting out the SD will take care of it :thumbsup:

LittleTea
December 9th, 2018, 04:38 PM
Please go to a dermatologist for your SD. I, too, have had really stubborn SD spots that don't go away. I have a prescription for betnovate lotion (topical steroid), and it was the only thing that got rid of those stubborn spots. Once my scalp became healthy again, the hair loss caused from scratching my SD started to grow back. :)

Another tip is to wash your hair brushes and hair tools whenever you have a flareup. I truly believe that washing hair tools in this way prevents the flareup from being prolonged. I also have eczema over pretty much my entire body, and although I can manage it to the point where it doesn't bother me anymore, I think these are life-long conditions that will always require maintenance and preventative measures. I highly recommend looking at the SD board here, there's lots of great info found within it.

Best of luck to you and happy hair journey! :blossom:

lapushka
December 9th, 2018, 04:44 PM
Please go to a dermatologist for your SD. I, too, have had really stubborn SD spots that don't go away. I have a prescription for betnovate lotion (topical steroid), and it was the only thing that got rid of those stubborn spots. Once my scalp became healthy again, the hair loss caused from scratching my SD started to grow back. :)

Another tip is to wash your hair brushes and hair tools whenever you have a flareup. I truly believe that washing hair tools in this way prevents the flareup from being prolonged. I also have eczema over pretty much my entire body, and although I can manage it to the point where it doesn't bother me anymore, I think these are life-long conditions that will always require maintenance and preventative measures. I highly recommend looking at the SD board here, there's lots of great info found within it.

Best of luck to you and happy hair journey! :blossom:

I had cradle cap as a wee baby, and I have had SD ever since (which is basically the same thing). I'm 46 right now. I can keep it pretty much at bay by using a strong sulfate shampoo to wash (in between bouts, it has to be ALL GONE first). The slightest sign of an "itch" and I am using my medicated shampoo (Nizoral 2%).

But yes do check out the link I gave you, chrissy! :D

Dark40
December 9th, 2018, 05:38 PM
Hi and welcome to the forum! :) No one here is going to give you any flack about you washing your hair everday. I used to wash mine everyday too, and my mom used to give me flack about it but I didn't worry about it. Because, I always knew what my hair and scalp needed. I always love a clean scalp. But now, I've gotten used to washing it only 3 times a week. Or, every other day. But the people here are very nice and very helpful! So, if you have any questions please feel free to ask?

LittleTea
December 9th, 2018, 09:46 PM
I had cradle cap as a wee baby, and I have had SD ever since (which is basically the same thing). I'm 46 right now. I can keep it pretty much at bay by using a strong sulfate shampoo to wash (in between bouts, it has to be ALL GONE first).
Same with the sulfates! My scalp loves them. My SD started when puberty started, and I've had it ever since. My scalp is mostly good now, but when it does flare up I use nizoral shampoo 1% and the betnovate lotion.

Happy growing! :blossom:

Sarahlabyrinth
December 10th, 2018, 02:31 AM
Welcome here :)

lapushka
December 10th, 2018, 05:30 AM
Same with the sulfates! My scalp loves them. My SD started when puberty started, and I've had it ever since. My scalp is mostly good now, but when it does flare up I use nizoral shampoo 1% and the betnovate lotion.

Happy growing! :blossom:

We only have the 2% in this country and it is OTC, costs about 12 euro for a 100ml bottle though, so I'm through that in 2 washes if I don't combine it with H&S. I wash with a tiny bit of the Nizoral 2% (leave it on for 10 min.), and then wash again with the H&S. It works like a charm!

TatsuOni
December 10th, 2018, 05:40 AM
Welcome! :)

chrissy9184
December 10th, 2018, 10:08 AM
Thanks so much for the help. I have been to a dermatologist, and he prescribed a steroid foam shampoo and gave me a few samples. I'll be totally honest and say that I have not tried any of them, and I don't really plan to unless it gets horribly unmanageable and uncomfortable. I'm not a fan of topical steroids - I just feel like they're prolonging the problem until it appears again!

LittleTea
December 10th, 2018, 10:23 AM
I'll be totally honest and say that I have not tried any of them, and I don't really plan to unless it gets horribly unmanageable and uncomfortable. I'm not a fan of topical steroids - I just feel like they're prolonging the problem until it appears again!

I highly recommend using your prescriptions to get your SD under control. After it's completely under control, you can then maintain with a combination of salicylic acid shampoo and nizoral shampoo once per week, and use your regular shampoo all other times. Regardless if you use steroids or not--it will keep coming back.

For me, the steroids helped get my scalp healthy to the point where I was finally able to grow back hair that was damaged from picking and scratching the SD. I only use the steroids when I flare up badly now, if it's a "normal" flareup I'll just use salicylic acid shampoo and nizoral shampoo. Topical steroids are not dangerous as long as they aren't over-used for more than a week at a time. Your scalp will feel a lot more comfortable once the SD is under control. :)

Jimothea
December 10th, 2018, 10:36 AM
! You poor thing. This is exactly why and how I found LHC. Just to chime in with non scientifically-proven info, for me it gets worse with stress--ha ha, so just don't stress. Super easy, hmm? Riiiight.

But for me the other main thing is to avoid non-fruit sugars. At all cost. Like, even things whichbecome sugars. None of the obvious stuff, like cake or bearclaws or fudge, sugar and honey in coffee or tea, etc., but also breads (that's a huge one for me...booo). Sometimes potatoes and pastas kick it off. So if I'm craving something really "bad," or attending a holiday party or something I try to bring healthy-er cookies with lower sugar content (there are these really good quinoia cookies I bring to holiday parties and they're sweetened with coconut. i LOVE them. that being said, a lot of people don't seem to like them because they end on this kind of lemony baking-soda note, rather than just a pop of sugar. but that means more for me! don't remember the brand but the bag reads "sunshine cookies."), or Ezekiel bread, as it seems to bother me less than others, or you know, if I'm doing noodles for something I'll get udon ones. So on and so on. It's still not perfect, and I fudge a lot, but these measures help.

Now, for after the flare up is past its peak and those scales start lifting up but the skin is at least trying to heal--ugh--I've found my facial oil seems to calm it down nicely. Doesn't do anything for active/peaking flares. Depending on how my scalp is I'll either put it on before I go to bed, or before I hop in the shower. If before the shower, I'll scritch during washing, which without the oil makes my scalp wanna cry. I do live in a desert though, so the oil might be too much for you, since I know a lot of oils also trigger my flare ups. Once upon a time clove oil worked nicely but that tapered off and i got sick of that smell. Anyway, if you want to know I now Boots # 7 "Youthful Replenishing Oil." Awful name but my both my face and scalp like it. I'm originally from a very humid area though and I would hesitate to use it back "home," so go with your gut.

Showering after any sweat gets on my head really seems to help. Even when I'm sick and really, really, really don't want to shower, a blast of fresh water on the dome does wonders for me.

I try to avoid all the dandruff-oriented type of shampoos; they just make things worse for my scalp (and my hair ABSOLUTELY hates them). Dunno if that's because it's so dry here, or if it's a more direct reaction to my SD, as I haven't been to a derm. in ages.

ACV rinses in the shower feel great too, once you figure out your ratio. Gives a nice, mild...sting... for lack of better word, that only lasts a moment and leaves my scalp pores feeling kind of refreshed.

All this has been trial and error over numerous years. Good luck finding your own tricks, and welcome to LHC!

Edit: thought i should mention i haven't had sd my whole life. my system changed BIG-TIME in my mid twenties and i think i exacerbated the problem by attempting to go no 'poo with extremely hard water. then my system changed again when i hit..meh...thirty? certain things just don't agree with me any longer, no matter how much i miss them (ohh, bread....my lovely...how i wish i could eat you...).

lapushka
December 10th, 2018, 04:55 PM
I highly recommend using your prescriptions to get your SD under control. After it's completely under control, you can then maintain with a combination of salicylic acid shampoo and nizoral shampoo once per week, and use your regular shampoo all other times. Regardless if you use steroids or not--it will keep coming back.

For me, the steroids helped get my scalp healthy to the point where I was finally able to grow back hair that was damaged from picking and scratching the SD. I only use the steroids when I flare up badly now, if it's a "normal" flareup I'll just use salicylic acid shampoo and nizoral shampoo. Topical steroids are not dangerous as long as they aren't over-used for more than a week at a time. Your scalp will feel a lot more comfortable once the SD is under control. :)

^^ Totally agree with the bolded part. What is the use of going to the dermatologist if you aren't going to follow up on what they prescribe and give you?

SD can make you lose a lot of hair, so it pays to get it under control, any way possible!

You can't be "picky" with what you *want* to use on your scalp. It's not about what YOU want for your scalp it is about what YOUR SCALP wants for you. That is my general motto and I stick to it!