PDA

View Full Version : Looking for opinions from people who enjoy dying their hair.

_fred_
December 9th, 2018, 03:03 AM
Hi all :) I'm looking for opinions from people who enjoy dying their hair.

I'm trying to devise a hairdye plan for the next year or so.

The situation:
Eventually I want to transition to henna, but not yet. I'm thinking once I get close to waist, so maybe in a year or two.
I haven't bleached in 12 months, and my roots are getting depressing. They're very subtly purple in places (over my natural dark blonde), and the rest of my hair is a mix of pinks and purples, with some extremely faded areas of very pale blue at the front. I've posted some photos at the bottom which show the range of colours in there right now.
I strongly dislike my natural colour, but I want more length before I finally transition to henna, and I don't want to put more purple over my roots because it's totally gonna stain - but only in a subtle way that takes forever to wash out, not in a vibrant colourful way that I can enjoy. In case you hadn't guessed, I'm not a fan of subtle colour on my hair.

[ETA - I gave up bleaching to give my scalp a rest, and to grow out a darker base for henna. I have a feeling henna over my natural hair will give me the shade I want more than henna over bleach.]

What I'm looking for:
A strategy for enjoying my hair that will enable me to transition to henna once I feel I have enough length to get the look I want.

What I want out of this:
I would like hair that looks intentionally and evenly coloured, that's bright and vibrant (or pastel) and makes me happy to see it.

This might sound easy, but I'm in the land of indecision right now.

These are the options I've so far considered:
* Bleach bath the already-bleached lengths and take it back to pastel for the year. Keep dye off the roots. Cost: damage, potential mess if I overlap bleach onto bits of my roots. Benefits: control. Back to pastels, no more purple bathroom. I get to use up my stash of pink and purple dyes.
* Get my stylist to do it instead. Cost: money ;_; Quality of hair. Concern about damage, concern about communicating what I want and ending up with a caramel ombre or something, but at least it'll be a professional doing it, and I can maintain the pastel myself.
* Transition to henna earlier than planned. Costs: time, energy, I won't be able to have that final fling with pastels. Potential for the hair to go a muddy colour where the purple clings more strongly, though I could bleach bath first. Benefits: glorious colour that doesn't fade, and that I can put direct dye over to boost it to a range of reds and super deep pinks.
* Forget about pastels, and keep dying the lengths with diluted direct dyes to maintain a bright, happy colour and hopefully distract from the root situation. Costs: purple bathroom, fading, time spent re-dying each week or fortnight. I'll need a good old supply of Patience not to keep hating on my roots. Benefits: The sun might give me some natural highlights. I need to use up that stash of dye! I might still need to bleach, but it won't be until next year, by which point I might be OK leaving the hair to fade naturally for about 6 months (which is what I feel it'll need to get most of this colour out! Seriously, Color Freedom is an AMAZING range, and the pinks and purples have serious staying power. As does MP Fuschia Shock, which I'm pretty sure is the culprit for my roots still having a purple sheen).

Nightmare scenario:
So much damage I'd have to cut.
Muddy hair.

I'm not too concerned about damage. I've bleached bathed often enough in the past to know the Good News about coconut oil, and to know what my hair can take. Right now my lengths have been bleach bathed at most twice (where there was overlap each time I did my roots). I have a little breakage, very few splits, some areas of bent ends, and a few fairy knots. I S&D regularly.

I'm more worried about the colour going muddy/brown. I'm planning on testing henna on sheds before I transition, but there's so much variation in my colour right now that I don't know if that'll be all that helpful at this stage.

Right now I'm down about the colour, but pleased that my hair at least feels nice - despite that I've been using a clarifying shampoo this last month to force fade. I credit Shea Moisture leave-in with that, it's so good.

OK, that was a lot! If you made it all the way through that, thank you.

And now for the pics:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ZOX9I6Zdym-1mf7soDxnaxqA3PCAkO-Qc2q3cy1rxC9z7zGN7JCv-rDgiwLZ3g7xUll4b6oEA-AOhuuPaIigUIuEfv-vmoOyTKAJ_anIOTPgbVfKNfkN0ZVsHs1TiNL_7ZVVws5KG0h7i waoyg2uLI-jbzTvol1_dwifMcCMuyo-FO_GGfY8QdkhH-4joX3JU9m2ca3bsW6m_kFWVK1IEthVUwDe8YbG4xD2cOMiIdqk Sy5TA4MbUBfpPe0rGDzk69_Dvfsmd3FL2vZjOsPX4k-kWVT6ivKJikYnOEZBO0v-3REMs1tWiw-qphpMTCNLC_rOSElmI8ZxznNRm1ShbzcNy1IJ8LyppjKa3PE1e cOo1CXwL7jS69ghSTfOAT-4yXe-MQJGpahvQA28E0AN4Yk4NgGasiKJ1MaZOIzOzKsLX6IZ4J8CX9 7s9zoAn9l63YZWGQiXymgJIbLVxRtd_rF-dD8X-HC4UV8ytqdPbq1_wwMI7DfJraYUbAud1RE9-mS84QF5i25nO0VgKGxHw5_5-cLdYe5QfacXxWjCACR3XxeI0uRIboyRaX-N7Av7MTAH82PEdkNmaYB79nkNYYxAkX-NVu_YQD7YETqn6cFbNSGOs_YCkWUATmO6UKqci66I8MXwni6fg lwnjJ1-fggjociJG7jYH1zQH0gODOU434vxz0cdoQTVO6qkRmPJ9mZ_Bq og8tVgDCM3Q90=w331-h587-no

Upside down back of my head shot to show the blue staining which is at the front when my hair's down:

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/KQajiW9ZLKZh13sGKScqlPjDf3YixWnoh0WfP5chjaSG4GUb9c S3RGWxxI4TGaMsUNsEVkIrzaGa73F4fr82EeyHEZlBlhqIIjQ9 G_Hzm3HiSK1qmimOu1-cQwTu1sKG7C3ecqDoprvxW0aARe-ZasbH7ARrWKZqabstfMR7KuxGVQVVC6q4ZiAdAWc54HB_-q8yNWJYrHJEQa3yMg1WmS3QFDOGFZuLVVUC1TKEGoGPHiG-I5Tg1rQRtnPCob4cul7uGDoAS41v4TCis2y0vxATr4psr62lgx tfihDX1JcEA5qr-u-VfxbAgh1Y9KyhaocQ3ilEinGpXRd1rFFciGa0BkS34q4nvB96Q iIw7_ojtKCbHjvXZwv_gCE7GDbpRO8J7GhrDvr7RuB4M1Mq0HM vdvWifW5vPF0k5guDd6jORSAtpRHBaBhwfY0LUJIc8W5MYVT20 gqJYT9ikFcb3nA84CVP6kZzJADi8xM7P0QNJn9PZufRbaazrfG Hcyv6gXrrEYeGzf2925gEI6YQ6-PvC8b_nEV7dp_LWe2Peh--0IamvByYO6VueeslQ9wbEiJEFqfHG-nWzkhrNIqIzbYwuh5qvRSfaBjvTzOPh6PI36xmHh5TV9moLod5 _o-AmDwbJe3hv7tCFAzJgNXrwOh32jlPBMKFmBt9IaC_Tp-K3y_YBzlr-PmdDquvrmnOYGQsyG0B6lVwU5fq3cY=w331-h587-no

And this shows the root regrowth and something of the base colour I'm dealing with. It looks alternately blonde, grey and brown depending on the light.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/xGxjbcj4dX-Gybd-JWdSes6RgWekQJOBiUlxX2bqHKr_P7WS_-M9xHvzLGwyneIIy5VePoHTqX1cHhjJwqg-v8cHxlELYZNk9EMEOBMnsaCH0Ks3hsiry9xllDRm4zjAnNm_dN L9wsUKUTt49DdeLWvZgIHHzK6BFE9hDA1HrmRt8Msok8w81Efy J_aYas4J-h9IB0bpY0zZP3Qww5BPDnjijTxWsEZcr9J5HChcmTPqnKQIonA 4MXVYCqlOZR9I_iWW2ia8nq9MelBSXWjlGMbG--MVHL4bO1c5ZkhlDFQuz3P6vaQPMfndUVqjLyaMwawSRrlA_fQ5 XXdRr45wqALT0Xuve_bu2nVgmeJNXw7vpy0wpOYlwWmTs6kZ5r OjF1WKKyODAEI61OV7AxPj1aVMDrCbD8DP21kOna-kAyqOl07vw3cgyZqdV_uqnMDd_9JZRWB8CgPf1id4nxAYEwN98 hIKu2eKFjhu_wS27UZfqkC2xvwOAxcAfaotML9ueU1ZdM4wIbW ekVd4wzHjv6uGKtMdPnnpOf4Q17ssbXoDrq0ha4T9yBzOosvoE o4Xx7GVaEi9gLVI86cVBhSCZBLsBMqIkBAmOXEfdttpI9D_pPR wPAB0VOW7KbH65woqIHPRXFXXQ5eFgDJi9iAhp90vpPhdKpVpl 0ZnkU5HxI8OUunvvAa_O-L03xHtoI-eQdwmeDTaiDzoeG8P1Z8=w331-h587-no

And this is my last length shot, from the 2nd Dec. The colour has faded since then, but it shows the overall effect, including a bit of rootage there.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/ErtaCn6QoEVHSvd6CEqZMev1oxOE4NFdi-zQLyPLIpaUesiiJ3XsohBh13qDW3pCD9X-KZOnV-HktjKG9JjrSM2inbetybABLSpkEH8i8o2LXrn4XynJcRSRyqd1 cKz9FvkjwN-7P31xmvMlsiJlLI6ISUY6FXicsjKdnrQBZKjB_HQk_X2xRX12_ v5ABa4_BrrxoAPq3Trt26nk7ZGK3nHJVc3VFiCVsvl3FqJOlCY 1cTuMiwmYEK0SwzbHtU_f9yCxuKedPdYBYGI1aHTxYRwCamXuv-ifBlT95SfxaAUdIO1nLZId8Qg2cXI2shDhQKWtVqUpEYuDXR0c 4b_4vYb7yiKEyi6hZAkla4BrAOgfWCt2DLvojGmBPMyQ7KGSBO Q1cvBbHAL65pWBRixGkKFh3VoS7i_jVlnT1Gk_AFws1IygV6wg fhR-0JSvAOg8yMY2gQJY5PYrs66pQvt6HCQw8uE2X1XUMdVHDh-5MTC6Bz7moC9BleOXMMoQi5kJNFY1KiuWJRZKpdVruzQWSn4ad COiXgjDv2ATz6WdJslRayNLgE3cQoOjeOMpzJVe7LhvbopdbAa F1mJ10e_jpiVwUid-itZB_TAJuAt8E7pFXZGdmHSdv5N34srBCBuQIEh5kyXdqN8yCD X2kAMnxBXVM3KL2rp291cPIbf1kR-cPdy7sLO5xAqFjsTsNznNcsLgTk0ivCYi74AJmBM=w331-h587-no

Lady Stardust
December 9th, 2018, 03:30 AM
I have no experience with the types of dye you are using but happy to offer an opinion :)

It sounds like you’re most keen on the pastel option, and it sounds like a good plan.

Pros: Happy _fred_, the pastels that you love, and you won’t undo all your patience in growing out your roots
Cons: Possible damage

You said you’re not too worried about damage and you know your hair and have a rescue plan, so the pros seem to outweigh the cons.

You really don’t sound like you want to do the purple route anymore because of mess, time, and frequency. Don’t do something that annoys you :)

I wouldn’t henna before you’re ready, it’s a marriage and you don’t want to start your love affair feeling miffed that it’s not the right colour :)

As to whether you do it or have a hairdresser do it - depends how much you trust your hairdresser. I trust mine, but she isn’t the colourist, so I would find it hard to trust someone else. If you’ve had good results with minimal breakage doing it yourself then maybe that’s the way to do it, but it depends how well you can judge where the bleach is going so you don’t end up dyeing the virgin growth.

Lady Stardust
December 9th, 2018, 04:46 AM
Another thought - if you want to use up the purple dye, do that first, so the roots have time to fade or grow out before you henna. Then you can do the bleach and pastel colours, then henna when you’re ready :)

I don’t know if you have trims but if you do, bleaching later will mean that some of the old bleached ends have been trimmed out so less of your hair would be damaged.

lapushka
December 9th, 2018, 09:19 AM
I'm all for sticking it out and growing it out. Set a goal for yourself, like: "6 inches of natural growth and I can do henna". The henna might be brighter on the bottom where there's bleach, but judging from your pictures it might be a subtly transitional thing, and no strong lines of demarcation. Doing a few more henna's on the lighter bits might solve it very well.

Finally, are you sure you want to do henna? Make sure it's not a henna that contains indigo (blends), because if you ever want to bleach again, or over this bleach - it's gonna turn green (hope you know that).

_fred_
December 9th, 2018, 12:30 PM
I have no experience with the types of dye you are using but happy to offer an opinion :)

It sounds like you’re most keen on the pastel option, and it sounds like a good plan.

Pros: Happy _fred_, the pastels that you love, and you won’t undo all your patience in growing out your roots
Cons: Possible damage

You said you’re not too worried about damage and you know your hair and have a rescue plan, so the pros seem to outweigh the cons.

You really don’t sound like you want to do the purple route anymore because of mess, time, and frequency. Don’t do something that annoys you :)

I wouldn’t henna before you’re ready, it’s a marriage and you don’t want to start your love affair feeling miffed that it’s not the right colour :)

As to whether you do it or have a hairdresser do it - depends how much you trust your hairdresser. I trust mine, but she isn’t the colourist, so I would find it hard to trust someone else. If you’ve had good results with minimal breakage doing it yourself then maybe that’s the way to do it, but it depends how well you can judge where the bleach is going so you don’t end up dyeing the virgin growth.

Another thought - if you want to use up the purple dye, do that first, so the roots have time to fade or grow out before you henna. Then you can do the bleach and pastel colours, then henna when you’re ready :)

I don’t know if you have trims but if you do, bleaching later will mean that some of the old bleached ends have been trimmed out so less of your hair would be damaged.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read all that and make suggestions! I'm liking the idea of using up the purple dye while the roots fade and grow. I have quite a lot of purples and pinks left over, so it'll take a while for me to get through them. And at least then I'll have a more vibrant colour to entertain me as I go along, and hopefully that'll help me ignore the roots for a while. Then I can enjoy pastels after that before changing over.

I visit my stylist for a trim every six months, but I'm considering skipping my January trim because trims always make me feel like I've stalled for a few months, even though I only have 2cm max taken off. From what I've seen she's very good with colour, and we've already discussed her giving me highlights once I have long enough roots, so perhaps I could get her to bring my bleached bits back to a good base once I've run out of dye! And by that point I'll definitely need a trim, so I can say farewell to the most fragile portion on the ends, hopefully without regrets!

I'm tempted to go sort out the colour on the faded bits now...

I'm all for sticking it out and growing it out. Set a goal for yourself, like: "6 inches of natural growth and I can do henna". The henna might be brighter on the bottom where there's bleach, but judging from your pictures it might be a subtly transitional thing, and no strong lines of demarcation. Doing a few more henna's on the lighter bits might solve it very well.

Finally, are you sure you want to do henna? Make sure it's not a henna that contains indigo (blends), because if you ever want to bleach again, or over this bleach - it's gonna turn green (hope you know that).

Thank you for your thoughts :blossom: I remember reading about your experiences with henna - that sounded less than optimal when you wanted to remove it. Luckily, I've never liked my natural colour, and I spent decades as a readhead of one shade or another, so I'm already sure it suits me and I like it. I've been in a pink mood for several years - on and off, had a ginger and red phase in the middle - but it'll be time to move on eventually. And yes, I'm absolutely sure I want to use henna. Bright red hennaed hair just grabs me, every single time, it's so beautiful. I love it in sunlight, I love the fact it doesn't fade, I love how it looks different in different lights, I love the smell, I love the permanence, and I love how you can dye over it with direct dyes to get really bright colours - and the base colour won't fade! That's the thing I'm looking forward to the most, having a gorgeous base colour that will strengthen my hair rather than damaging it, and where it's safe enough for me to touch up my roots as often as I like. I've used it before many years ago, so the mess and potential difficulties in application won't be a surprise to me.

That's a very good point re. indigo :) Happily, I've read up thoroughly on the chemistry/application etc. of henna (and indigo), so I'm forewarned on the pitfalls, plus I'm invested in bright deep reds, so I won't be using indigo at all - there's a danger I might get brown with that, which isn't what I'm aiming for. And as you say, if you bleach it you get green, and I'm definitely going to be bleaching in the future - I'll want highlights so the henna is a mix of reds and coppers (or reds and brighter reds with whatever direct dye I put over the top), so indigo is completely out. But the way henna responds to bleaching is perfect for me.

I do like the idea of having the already-bleached bits way brighter - like a fire ombre. I just don't think it'd suit me around the face to have everything copper. Been there before, and it's fine until I blush or get warm! I'm too pink for that. I don't actually want to get rid of the bleach, I miss it so much, but I want a good base for the henna so I have to let it grow out.

I like the idea of setting a goal. Maybe another year of pink and purple on the bleached bits, leaving the roots alone (dislike them as I do). Gonna ponder that...

Sorry that was such a long reply!

cjk
December 9th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Let me make a suggestion. You obviously like color. But that doesn't mean you have to CHEMICALLY ALTER your hair.

Parandas, feed-in extensions, clip ins, and so forth can be used to add color to hair. Since you already braid, feeding in colored hair would be simple and not actually touch your natural hair, while providing the look you want.

I was unable to accomplish feed in extensions yet, it's a skill I'm just starting to learn. But apparently it's pretty common, particularly in the ethnic communities, and kanekelon hair is stupidly cheap.

Just a thought, a way to have your cake and eat it too?

_fred_
December 9th, 2018, 01:51 PM
Let me make a suggestion. You obviously like color. But that doesn't mean you have to CHEMICALLY ALTER your hair.

Parandas, feed-in extensions, clip ins, and so forth can be used to add color to hair. Since you already braid, feeding in colored hair would be simple and not actually touch your natural hair, while providing the look you want.

I was unable to accomplish feed in extensions yet, it's a skill I'm just starting to learn. But apparently it's pretty common, particularly in the ethnic communities, and kanekelon hair is stupidly cheap.

Just a thought, a way to have your cake and eat it too?

You know, I really do need to start trying out parandas, thank you! I'd not even thought about it, even though I admire them on others. I did order a cheap set of hair extensions, the kind that sit on a hair-bad style wire around your head, but they haven't arrived yet (got them on Wish, so whether they'll ever arrive is another matter entirely!). If they ever arrive, I'll be bleaching them and dying them hot pink, should be fun.

Best of luck getting your extensions to work how you want them to :)

lapushka
December 9th, 2018, 04:27 PM
Thank you for your thoughts :blossom: I remember reading about your experiences with henna - that sounded less than optimal when you wanted to remove it. Luckily, I've never liked my natural colour, and I spent decades as a readhead of one shade or another, so I'm already sure it suits me and I like it. I've been in a pink mood for several years - on and off, had a ginger and red phase in the middle - but it'll be time to move on eventually. And yes, I'm absolutely sure I want to use henna. Bright red hennaed hair just grabs me, every single time, it's so beautiful. I love it in sunlight, I love the fact it doesn't fade, I love how it looks different in different lights, I love the smell, I love the permanence, and I love how you can dye over it with direct dyes to get really bright colours - and the base colour won't fade! That's the thing I'm looking forward to the most, having a gorgeous base colour that will strengthen my hair rather than damaging it, and where it's safe enough for me to touch up my roots as often as I like. I've used it before many years ago, so the mess and potential difficulties in application won't be a surprise to me.

That's a very good point re. indigo :) Happily, I've read up thoroughly on the chemistry/application etc. of henna (and indigo), so I'm forewarned on the pitfalls, plus I'm invested in bright deep reds, so I won't be using indigo at all - there's a danger I might get brown with that, which isn't what I'm aiming for. And as you say, if you bleach it you get green, and I'm definitely going to be bleaching in the future - I'll want highlights so the henna is a mix of reds and coppers (or reds and brighter reds with whatever direct dye I put over the top), so indigo is completely out. But the way henna responds to bleaching is perfect for me.

I do like the idea of having the already-bleached bits way brighter - like a fire ombre. I just don't think it'd suit me around the face to have everything copper. Been there before, and it's fine until I blush or get warm! I'm too pink for that. I don't actually want to get rid of the bleach, I miss it so much, but I want a good base for the henna so I have to let it grow out.

I like the idea of setting a goal. Maybe another year of pink and purple on the bleached bits, leaving the roots alone (dislike them as I do). Gonna ponder that...

Sorry that was such a long reply!

It's fine! And I read all of it too. :D

You obviously sound determined, and that's good, because henna is a permanent thing, but you know that! :o

I wish you good luck on your journey, and keep us posted once you do the henna process!

Would it be something to do some test strands on the bleached/pastel parts? Just to see if it would be a bad thing, necessarily?

_fred_
December 10th, 2018, 12:53 AM
It's fine! And I read all of it too. :D

You obviously sound determined, and that's good, because henna is a permanent thing, but you know that! :o

I wish you good luck on your journey, and keep us posted once you do the henna process!

Would it be something to do some test strands on the bleached/pastel parts? Just to see if it would be a bad thing, necessarily?

Thank you! :D (and for sticking it out, it was a lot of text!)

I'm definitely planning on joining the henna thread once I've swapped over. I love seeing all the gorgeous shades people achieve, it's an inspiration - and also useful to see how it works on different bases.

There's so much bleach on here that any sheds tested will definitely show the effect on bleached hair, but a chunkier strand test somewhere would probably be a good plan as well. I'm not usually someone to bother testing, I generally just mix the dye and see what happens, but I know I'll need to be far more structured planning henna.

I've decided to boost the purple on my dyed bits for a while, as per Lady Stardust's suggestion, until I run out of dye. Although this has taken the rest of my meagre supply of Manic Panic, I still have a lot of Color Freedom and some Live non-permanent in purple left in the dye drawer, so it should take me a few months before I've used it all up. Especially as I won't be shampooing the lengths, only my roots, so the colour will stick around longer (esp if I cwc). I'm hoping this will stop me from missing the bleach so much until the last remnants of purple have completely faded from my roots.

This feels like a plan!

akurah
December 10th, 2018, 01:00 AM
If bleach is in your future post henna, you probably shouldn't henna. Henna is notoriously difficult to budge, and if your personality is such that you like to change colors even with any degree of frequency, henna will break your heart. I say this as a former henna head of years.

Obsidian
December 10th, 2018, 04:33 AM
Another thing to keep on mind with henna is fun colors don't always play well. I tried pink, it wouldn't show, purple turned my hair black, blue turned green and stayed until I slowly trimmed it out.
Red is one color that goes good with henna though I never tried it myself.

Dark40
December 10th, 2018, 12:04 PM
Oh, I love dyeing my hair all sorts of colours! For many years I've been every colour under the sun. From my natural hair colour to bleached platinum blonde. I'm like you, I don't like my natural hair color either at times. It gets pretty boring. I always like to change up too. Right now, I've got 3' of my dark brown natural hair colour growing out, and first I have relaxed or chemically-treated hair but for the new year I'm planning on dyeing my hair blonde again. I've had it blondish last year, and I want it blonde again. :)

_fred_
December 10th, 2018, 02:44 PM
If bleach is in your future post henna, you probably shouldn't henna. Henna is notoriously difficult to budge, and if your personality is such that you like to change colors even with any degree of frequency, henna will break your heart. I say this as a former henna head of years.

Hey :) I won't be bleaching to get rid of the henna, but to brighten sections of it. Think firelights, as described in the Ancient Sunrise ebook in Ch 10 about lightening with henna: http://www.mehandi.com/Articles.asp?ID=257. The idea would be to have variation in colour, all of which is red, but some of the red is lighter/brighter than the rest.

_fred_
December 10th, 2018, 02:50 PM
Another thing to keep on mind with henna is fun colors don't always play well. I tried pink, it wouldn't show, purple turned my hair black, blue turned green and stayed until I slowly trimmed it out.
Red is one color that goes good with henna though I never tried it myself.

Thanks for the heads up! It's good to know that about purple - I'd been assuming it would go muddy, but not black! Happily, blues don't suit me, so I'd be looking to use the rich red and pinkish red colours over it when I want a bit of variation. This is where I'll certainly need to learn the patience for strand testing.

Oh, I love dyeing my hair all sorts of colours! For many years I've been every colour under the sun. From my natural hair colour to bleached platinum blonde. I'm like you, I don't like my natural hair color either at times. It gets pretty boring. I always like to change up too. Right now, I've got 3' of my dark brown natural hair colour growing out, and first I have relaxed or chemically-treated hair but for the new year I'm planning on dyeing my hair blonde again. I've had it blondish last year, and I want it blonde again. :)

:hifive: I hope it all goes perfectly with your next round of bleaching :)

Alibran
December 10th, 2018, 03:02 PM
Hey :) I won't be bleaching to get rid of the henna, but to brighten sections of it.

Well, you're going to get a brightening effect if the bleach removes the colour under the henna, regardless of whether it affects the henna itself or not.

lapushka
December 10th, 2018, 03:04 PM
Hey :) I won't be bleaching to get rid of the henna, but to brighten sections of it. Think firelights, as described in the Ancient Sunrise ebook in Ch 10 about lightening with henna: http://www.mehandi.com/Articles.asp?ID=257. The idea would be to have variation in colour, all of which is red, but some of the red is lighter/brighter than the rest.

You might benefit from looking at Nightshade's thread on sun-in & henna. It's a good read. I'll link it, hang on!
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=19317

_fred_
December 10th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Well, you're going to get a brightening effect if the bleach removes the colour under the henna, regardless of whether it affects the henna itself or not.

That's the idea :D

You might benefit from looking at Nightshade's thread on sun-in & henna. It's a good read. I'll link it, hang on!
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=19317

Thank you :D I've been following that one - it's really interesting. It's good to know that there are options, and great to know the exact methods people have used. It's one of the things I really appreciate about this forum - that people are so willing to experiment, and write in detail about what they've discovered and how they got there.