PDA

View Full Version : Thickening existing hair..

Cate36
December 8th, 2018, 11:26 PM
Hi All,

Since I am not using products in my hair to avoid putting chemicals on it, it's looking finer than ever.. very soft, fine.. hard to style because of it really..and the length is thin..

I used to use thickening mouse which would boost the curl and add volume....but I don't want to use anything unnatural until my hair is in better condition.

Does anyone know a way I can add weight and a bit of thickness and volume that won't damage my hair or make it feel sticky? Is there anything I can use? Any tips?

lapushka
December 9th, 2018, 05:15 AM
You could use texturizing sprays, but I doubt they'd do much.

I'd not do it.

Maybe blow dry bent over; that will add volume without essentially damaging the hair.

elfynity
December 9th, 2018, 06:12 AM
When I went WO and also to cornflour shampoo only wash, the natural sebum of my hair left my hair heavier, with more volume and looked thicker. It took a few months though to swap to WO. I find that any shampoo, even conditioners remove the natural oils from my hair and generally my hair is left very fine and flyaway.

Ylva
December 9th, 2018, 08:07 AM
Does anyone know a way I can add weight and a bit of thickness and volume that won't damage my hair or make it feel sticky? Is there anything I can use? Any tips?

For adding weight and not feeling sticky, I recommend this hair oil: http://www.urtekram.com/products/body-care/hair/coconut-hair-oil-organic-100-ml

I have used it a couple of times now myself and I am absolutely in love with it. It gives me the perfect weight to my lengths and ends (my hair is a bit poofy due to old bleach damage) without making my hair look oily per se. It has an amazingly silky feel.

But I'm not sure if I understood you correctly about adding weight as well as volume.

lapushka
December 9th, 2018, 09:12 AM
But I'm not sure if I understood you correctly about adding weight as well as volume.

Yes sounds a little contradictory to me. If you add weight, you lose volume. You can't have both.

Cate36
December 9th, 2018, 03:28 PM
Yes sounds a little contradictory to me. If you add weight, you lose volume. You can't have both.

Yeah fair enough.. I guess I want both.. weight and volume.. I tried My Organics volume spray today which has nothing nasty, and it made some difference and also put a leave in intense conditioner on my hair before drying that gave it some weight. But my heart broke when . hair came out, and I could see it was breakage and not natural fall..

I SO want to stop the breakage!

kitcatsmeow
December 9th, 2018, 04:20 PM
Natural dry shampoos will give you volume and fullness. I like accure and shea moisture

lapushka
December 9th, 2018, 04:21 PM
Yeah fair enough.. I guess I want both.. weight and volume.. I tried My Organics volume spray today which has nothing nasty, and it made some difference and also put a leave in intense conditioner on my hair before drying that gave it some weight. But my heart broke when . hair came out, and I could see it was breakage and not natural fall..

I SO want to stop the breakage!

It's possible that you can't. If hair was damaged to the point of breakage, it's going to break off sooner rather than later. :flower:

Have you considered microtrimming to keep up with the damage and slowly grow it out?

Cate36
December 9th, 2018, 04:31 PM
It's possible that you can't. If hair was damaged to the point of breakage, it's going to break off sooner rather than later. :flower:

Have you considered microtrimming to keep up with the damage and slowly grow it out?

The problem is that the breakage is all over the place.. every strand is a different length.. it's like chemical hair cuts everywhere.. self layered.. I have trimmed the very end.. but the rest of the hair.. I don't know where to start..

Ylva
December 9th, 2018, 04:34 PM
The problem is that the breakage is all over the place.. every strand is a different length.. it's like chemical hair cuts everywhere.. self layered.. I have trimmed the very end.. but the rest of the hair.. I don't know where to start..

Stay patient and just take good care of it. That doesn’t mean you need to try every special treatment under the moon - just take good care of it generally and treat it gently. What is going to break off will break off, and it’ll likely slow down a lot soon.

lapushka
December 9th, 2018, 04:46 PM
Stay patient and just take good care of it. That doesn’t mean you need to try every special treatment under the moon - just take good care of it generally and treat it gently. What is going to break off will break off, and it’ll likely slow down a lot soon.

Well said. Just a nice deep conditioner, benign neglect, and microtrimming, those would be my plan of attack.

cjk
December 9th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Mommypotamus gelatin treatment is what came to my mind.

ChloeDharma
December 11th, 2018, 05:51 AM
I have found fenugreek masks good for somehow adding volume and weight to my hair. There are of course limits to what can be achieved by it does seem to consistently help

Cate36
December 11th, 2018, 04:15 PM
Mommypotamus gelatin treatment is what came to my mind.

Wow it looks amazing from the website... you have had similar shiny results?