PDA

View Full Version : Hair Care When You Cannot Wash

GrowlingCupcake
December 8th, 2018, 03:21 PM
I usually wash my hair one to two times a week. Sebum only does not work for me, and makes me hair a flaky (dandruff), oily mess.

Right now, I am unable to wash my hair, and it's possible that this state of affairs will continue till the 19th. My last hair wash was on the 3rd.

My hair gets dry when I do not wash it, especially in winter (winter = desert here). My roots get oily, but I can try to mitigate that some by not touching them in any way. However, I have to comb my hair in order to look at least some what presentable, so oils will spread down my hair shaft. Dry shampoo has largely been a miss for me, but I'm planning on giving it a try again with the shampoo I do have.

Right now, my hair isn't doing too badly. My roots are mostly not greasy, except at the back of my head where sweat + oil likes to combine when I sleep. I just sprayed my ends with water, and applied some oil, and Biosilk Silk Therapy to the last eight to ten inches or so.

There's a small possibility I will be able to wash it next week, but it's a very slim chance.

What can I do to keep my hair looking semi-presentable during the next 10 days? I don't need it to look freshly washed but I don't want it to look like I haven't washed it in weeks either.

Right now, my plans are:
- Touch my hair, especially scalp, as little as possible.
- Spray bottom inches with water, and apply oil + leave-ins (minimal to prevent build up).
- If possible wash the bottom inches with diluted shampoo, and then use regular conditioner, followed by leave-ins.

Edit to explain:
I have a degenerative back issue with yearly flare ups. During those flare ups (right now), I can only stand for a very small amount of time. My bathtub does not allow me to sit comfortably; trying to get up from it is nearly impossible, and I've tried numerous ways of sitting, including stools. I can barely manage to have a shower right now, so there is no way I can wash my hair. Too much standing, too much lifting my arms, too much moving my head, etc. On the 18th, I'll be getting an epidural shot that will fix the back issue, which is why I'll be able to wash them.

Bending over is also out of the question, so no sinks or anything.

Cate36
December 8th, 2018, 03:36 PM
I usually wash my hair one to two times a week. Sebum only does not work for me, and makes me hair a flaky (dandruff), oily mess.

Right now, I am unable to wash my hair, and it's possible that this state of affairs will continue till the 19th. My last hair wash was on the 3rd.

My hair gets dry when I do not wash it, especially in winter (winter = desert here). My roots get oily, but I can try to mitigate that some by not touching them in any way. However, I have to comb my hair in order to look at least some what presentable, so oils will spread down my hair shaft. Dry shampoo has largely been a miss for me, but I'm planning on giving it a try again with the shampoo I do have.

Right now, my hair isn't doing too badly. My roots are mostly not greasy, except at the back of my head where sweat + oil likes to combine when I sleep. I just sprayed my ends with water, and applied some oil, and Biosilk Silk Therapy to the last eight to ten inches or so.

There's a small possibility I will be able to wash it next week, but it's a very slim chance.

What can I do to keep my hair looking semi-presentable during the next 10 days? I don't need it to look freshly washed but I don't want it to look like I haven't washed it in weeks either.

Right now, my plans are:
- Touch my hair, especially scalp, as little as possible.
- Spray bottom inches with water, and apply oil + leave-ins (minimal to prevent build up).
- If possible wash the bottom inches with diluted shampoo, and then use regular conditioner, followed by leave-ins.

I'm intrigued as to why you can't wash your hair.. but that aside.. :)

Dry shampoos are full of chemicals that affect the scalp.. so I am very wary of using them, but if you can find a good quality one, they will def help with the excess oil on top of your head and also add volume to your hair.. I would just be careful not to spray on your scalp..

As for the ends, I found, when I was trying not to wash my hair, that the best oil was grape-seed oil. It's really good for hair, has no smell, is very light so unlike coconut oil doesn't weigh hair down.. and I found it absorbed really well. I usually just wet my hands with it.. dry off any excess and smooth it over my hair..

Sarez
December 8th, 2018, 03:41 PM
I'm unsure as to why you are unable to wash your hair, or if you can only use water. But I have found that a small amount of acv diluted with a large amount of water in a spray bottle, will help me see through those last few days till I can wash it, if I need it. I tried dry shampoo a long time ago, and I don't know if I did it wrong, but it left bits of white stuff on my scalp and made it greasy. So, kinda never use it. I do realise ACV is not to everyone's taste, but is an option if you are willing to try.

GrowlingCupcake
December 8th, 2018, 05:03 PM
I have a degenerative back issue with yearly flare ups. During those flare ups (right now), I can only stand for a very small amount of time. My bathtub does not allow me to sit comfortably; trying to get up from it is nearly impossible, and I've tried numerous ways of sitting, including stools. I can barely manage to have a shower right now, so there is no way I can wash my hair. Too much standing, too much lifting my arms, too much moving my head, etc. On the 18th, I'll be getting an epidural shot that will fix the back issue, which is why I'll be able to wash them.

Bending over is also out of the question, so no sinks or anything.

Cate36: everything is chemicals, so I don't have any issues with chemicals xD The one I have right now is by Nightblooming, and I'll give it a shot over the back of my neck when my partner can help me out.

Sarez: I've never used ACV before; how does it help you? Do you need to saturate your hair with it? What are the proportions you use?

HaMalka
December 8th, 2018, 05:14 PM
Are bandanas or headscarves of some sort a possibility?

The-Young-Maid
December 8th, 2018, 05:20 PM
Maybe find a salon that could wash your hair for you? Hopefully you could sit comfortably long enough, they can wash hair really quick. You could probably bring your own products too. Bring an extra cushion for your neck? At least this way you wouldn't need to lift your arms.

I've also seen "shampoo caps", not sure what they're called. But it contains shampoo all you do is add water. Put it over your head and have someone "shampoo" it around. You still need to rinse tho... But you could lay down while you do it if thats the most comfortable position for you. DIY You could probably just put shampoo in a shower cap.

lapushka
December 8th, 2018, 05:21 PM
I just wore it up in a bun when I could not get it washed for 14 days in a row, for months on end, due to a medical issue (this is the public forum, I'm not gonna go into it).

Sarez
December 8th, 2018, 05:44 PM
Sorry to hear your going through a flare up. I had one a couple of months ago in my c3 c4 neck, so can totally understand how hard it is to do simple self care tasks.
I don't use the acv mix all the time, only if my hair is extra gross, but I know I won't have the time to wash it, and will have to wait an extra couple of days.
I use a small travel spray bottle, you can buy them everywhere, supermarkets, chemists, craft supply shops, discount stores. I put in approx. a teaspoon of acv, and fill the rest with water.
I only spray where its needed the most on my scalp, the extra greasy areas, of a maximum of 5 sprays a day. I let it dry, then gently comb, and go about my day. If you want to bun it, thats ok too, if its too much to do anything intricate.
I find that if I do it on day 5, I can push it to day 7 before I get time to wash., or need to lightly spray it again.
Can I suggest using less oil on your ends, if your comfortable doing that, as I've noticed my hair gets oiler, quicker, when I've done that. The natural oils from the scalp will keep the hair oiled. While your going through this time, anyway. If not, that's ok. Please don't do anything you aren't OK with.
I think The Young Maid has given an excellent suggestion of going to a salon and having it washed for you. Or finding a friend or family member who could help you out xx

MusicalSpoons
December 8th, 2018, 05:54 PM
Could your partner help you with a quick shampoo and condition while you sit on a stool in the bathtub, if necessary even leave the conditioner on until the next day and then rinse off, to shorten the length of time sitting? Not an ideal solution, I know :flower: but it might be better than nothing, if you're desperate to make it look or feel just a bit cleaner. (I also get that you probably want to stay as independent as possible until you're more mobile again - actually if you can manage the ends yourself, even if it's at a separate time out of the shower, maybe just some help to shampoo and rinse would be all you need? I don't know. I'm glad you have an end in sight for this flare though - hang in there! :flowers: )

cjk
December 8th, 2018, 06:12 PM
Cleansing doesn't have to include shampoo. Lots do water only.

If you just let the water from the shower head run over your head, you'd probably get it clean enough over that time period.

A protective style like braids can be left in for an extended period, too, and look good even once the hair gets oily. Might be an option?

Hope you make it through this flare up with relative ease. All my best!

GrowlingCupcake
December 8th, 2018, 06:33 PM
Are bandanas or headscarves of some sort a possibility?

I just wore it up in a bun when I could not get it washed for 14 days in a row, for months on end, due to a medical issue (this is the public forum, I'm not gonna go into it).

Chances are I will just do a bun or a braided bun (hides the oiliness some), and then cover it with a scarf when necessary. I'm looking for a plain scarf to buy on Amazon now, as the ones I have are quite colourful. I've always used my winter scarf over my hair from time to time.

Maybe find a salon that could wash your hair for you? Hopefully you could sit comfortably long enough, they can wash hair really quick. You could probably bring your own products too. Bring an extra cushion for your neck? At least this way you wouldn't need to lift your arms.

I've also seen "shampoo caps", not sure what they're called. But it contains shampoo all you do is add water. Put it over your head and have someone "shampoo" it around. You still need to rinse tho... But you could lay down while you do it if thats the most comfortable position for you. DIY You could probably just put shampoo in a shower cap.

Leaving the house is damn near impossible for me; I pretty much only leave for school (if I have an exam, other times I do the work online), doctor's appointments, and things like that. I also don't think I can manage the salon thing. Once, I had to get some cavities filled during this, and I needed a valium, and still had to jump up every five or less minutes.

(Also, there's the issues of just leaving: putting on winter clothes, winter boots, walking to car, getting out at place, walking to salon, etc. At home, I just wear a robe or a lounge/sleep dress so it's minimal fuss xD)

That said, if I really need it, I'll have to give the salon I go to for my eyebrows a call. They're very accommodating, and great people. And maybe I can get my eyebrows done!

I'll also look into a shampoo cap thing. Never heard of that, so thanks :)

Sorry to hear your going through a flare up. I had one a couple of months ago in my c3 c4 neck, so can totally understand how hard it is to do simple self care tasks.
I don't use the acv mix all the time, only if my hair is extra gross, but I know I won't have the time to wash it, and will have to wait an extra couple of days.
I use a small travel spray bottle, you can buy them everywhere, supermarkets, chemists, craft supply shops, discount stores. I put in approx. a teaspoon of acv, and fill the rest with water.
I only spray where its needed the most on my scalp, the extra greasy areas, of a maximum of 5 sprays a day. I let it dry, then gently comb, and go about my day. If you want to bun it, thats ok too, if its too much to do anything intricate.
I find that if I do it on day 5, I can push it to day 7 before I get time to wash., or need to lightly spray it again.
Can I suggest using less oil on your ends, if your comfortable doing that, as I've noticed my hair gets oiler, quicker, when I've done that. The natural oils from the scalp will keep the hair oiled. While your going through this time, anyway. If not, that's ok. Please don't do anything you aren't OK with.
I think The Young Maid has given an excellent suggestion of going to a salon and having it washed for you. Or finding a friend or family member who could help you out xx

Ugh, I hope you're doing better now. For me, my damage is in L3-L4, L4-L5, and L5-S1, so lots of fun there xD

I'll give the ACV rinse a shot, and keep an eye out for the oil issue. I should be able to do at least a partial end wash next week once my pain killers come in. Possibly even a full hair wash (or at least a shampoo + conditioner, and potentially a second conditioner) depends on what I receive; new doctor so not sure yet.

Could your partner help you with a quick shampoo and condition while you sit on a stool in the bathtub, if necessary even leave the conditioner on until the next day and then rinse off, to shorten the length of time sitting? Not an ideal solution, I know :flower: but it might be better than nothing, if you're desperate to make it look or feel just a bit cleaner. (I also get that you probably want to stay as independent as possible until you're more mobile again - actually if you can manage the ends yourself, even if it's at a separate time out of the shower, maybe just some help to shampoo and rinse would be all you need? I don't know. I'm glad you have an end in sight for this flare though - hang in there! :flowers: )

Regarding my partner helping, two main issues:
1) He won't; it'll hurt me, and he doesn't want me to be in pain when it isn't necessary. Honestly, I can't blame him for this, I mean, I get it.
2) We've tried the whole sitting/stool/etc. thing before. Our bathtub is not conducive to it. Hopefully when we get our own place, we can get a nice mobility bathroom.

The ends get horribly dry, so I'm glad I can at least wet them, and add a leave-in. I might try wetting them, and adding a small amount of silicone free conditioner, as either a leave-in or to lightly rinse back out. The roots just suck because I have dandruff, and they will get oily over time. At least it isn't summer so there's less sweat!

And thanks <3 I found a place an hour plus out of town that lets me schedule it in advance; unfortunately, I didn't find it quickly enough this time around, but the one in town is a lot slower ><

Still, I'm holding hope that I will be able to do a quick wash next week, even if it's a diluted shampoo rinse (spreads more easily than my dandruff shampoo) followed by a single conditioner or just a leave-in.

Also, I feel like I am just saying "no" to a lot of these suggestions so: I do appreciate them all; it's just that unfortunately many of them are not something that would work. But again, I do appreciate it, and will take the bits that can work for me/modify them/etc.

GrowlingCupcake
December 8th, 2018, 06:35 PM
Cleansing doesn't have to include shampoo. Lots do water only.

If you just let the water from the shower head run over your head, you'd probably get it clean enough over that time period.

A protective style like braids can be left in for an extended period, too, and look good even once the hair gets oily. Might be an option?

Hope you make it through this flare up with relative ease. All my best!

Water only would still cause the same issues, as my hair would be wet, heavier, and need to be dried somewhat. And if I put water on my hair, I have to put conditioner on it or some kind of leave-in otherwise it gets super tangly, and tries to eat my combs.

I do plan on going the braid route! I'll be getting my partner to braid it for me every morning/night since I cannot do so on my own now.

Thank you :)

Ju
December 8th, 2018, 06:52 PM
Not sure if this is a possibility for you - but as I prefer to use shampoo infrequently, I have discovered that using a tea rinse on those days in between shampooings where my hair just needs a rinsing that is more than water but less than a shampooing can help refresh my scalp. I tend to use whatever tea bags I have available, mostly green tea but also sometimes i chuck in some chamomile or peppermint or both as well. Especially peppermint I find more invigorating and refreshing. Perhaps you could brew a tea and let it cool and pour it into your scalp, massage it in, and then rinse with another cup of water? Otherwise I saw someone mention ACV in a spray bottle, and if the smell of that is more offensive than you can bear then perhaps you could spray this concuction as an alternative?

Otherwise, if you are able to, I like to brush my hair nice and comprehensively and for a good five minutes or so, so that whatever deposits are hanging out in my scalp can be dispersed through the length making it feel less thickly concentrated and gross in that scalp area. It also doubles as a nice scalp massage which I find makes it feel better.

Also, braids would be good and that way your hair is out of your way and easy to manage.

I wish I had more ideas, but I hope you are okay throughout what sounds like a really rough patch :( :kitten:

Obsidian
December 8th, 2018, 06:59 PM
What about a no rinse shampoo? You could put it in a spray bottle and just apply it to roots. It would still need to be dried a little though. Not sure if you could manage some manipulation on your own but its worth mentioning.
https://www.amazon.com/No-Rinse-Shampoo-Oz-Bottle/dp/B000EHNE0M/ref=sr_1_7_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1544320536

GrowlingCupcake
December 8th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Not sure if this is a possibility for you - but as I prefer to use shampoo infrequently, I have discovered that using a tea rinse on those days in between shampooings where my hair just needs a rinsing that is more than water but less than a shampooing can help refresh my scalp. I tend to use whatever tea bags I have available, mostly green tea but also sometimes i chuck in some chamomile or peppermint or both as well. Especially peppermint I find more invigorating and refreshing. Perhaps you could brew a tea and let it cool and pour it into your scalp, massage it in, and then rinse with another cup of water? Otherwise I saw someone mention ACV in a spray bottle, and if the smell of that is more offensive than you can bear then perhaps you could spray this concuction as an alternative?

Otherwise, if you are able to, I like to brush my hair nice and comprehensively and for a good five minutes or so, so that whatever deposits are hanging out in my scalp can be dispersed through the length making it feel less thickly concentrated and gross in that scalp area. It also doubles as a nice scalp massage which I find makes it feel better.

Also, braids would be good and that way your hair is out of your way and easy to manage.

I wish I had more ideas, but I hope you are okay throughout what sounds like a really rough patch :( :kitten:

Thank you <3

If I stick it in a spray bottle, I could probably give it a shot. Would I definitely have to rinse it out if it's sprayed on? I could do the tea/ACV spray, and then follow with a just water spray.

Hm... now I'm wondering if I could do something like that with shampoo. Very dilute shampoo, towel around my shoulders, just spray it on the worst areas, and then lots of plain water to spray it off. I can comb my hair, so I should be able to manage a bit of manipulation if I can rest my arms. Wouldn't get it nice, and clean, but could help the worst bits.

Has anyone tried that?

GrowlingCupcake
December 8th, 2018, 07:00 PM
What about a no rinse shampoo? You could put it in a spray bottle and just apply it to roots. It would still need to be dried a little though. Not sure if you could manage some manipulation on your own but its worth mentioning.
https://www.amazon.com/No-Rinse-Shampoo-Oz-Bottle/dp/B000EHNE0M/ref=sr_1_7_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1544320536

Ooh, that looks like a good idea! I should be able to manage some manipulation as long as I can position my arms with some support.

The-Young-Maid
December 8th, 2018, 09:00 PM
This is what I was talking about earlier
https://www.amazon.com/No-Rinse-Shampoo-Cap-5-Pack/dp/B009I12STI/ref=pd_sbs_194_3?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B009I12STI&pd_rd_r=28640766-fb66-11e8-bdbb-a1d7abf94cea&pd_rd_w=6vJU8&pd_rd_wg=alFXl&pf_rd_p=7d5d9c3c-5e01-44ac-97fd-261afd40b865&pf_rd_r=6NNRRB6AX11YMHHNGA20&psc=1&refRID=6NNRRB6AX11YMHHNGA20
Turns out you don't actually need water. Thanks for the link Obsidian!

Simsy
December 8th, 2018, 11:28 PM
So I just came off a stretch that was nearly 16 days without a wash. Most of it was spent working in and out of trucks with lots of sweating, so not exactly ideal.

+I left my hair in an easy bun every day. My hair doesn’t like being touched a lot and braiding had the potential to backfire quickly after the first week. High nautalis bun with a fork shoved through it so I could sleep on it.

+I made sure to comb my hair every couple of days. My last long stretch without combing finished in a 45 min detangling session and a promise that I wouldn’t do that to myself again. I combed with a wide tooth comb every day or 2, and run a tangle teezer through it a few times when I was home for a few hours.

+Manually oiling my hair is a major step for me. The ends just don’t get the oil they need and the scalp tends to panic a bit if left to it’s own devices; so I oil my hair every few days all over, I’m using a conditioner/oil blend that I mixed myself but I have used commercial products before with good results. Spray, smooth and comb through. Your mileage may vary on this one but extra oil, and maybe a leave in conditioner, might just be the ticket.

+A sleek, shiny bun is so easy when you haven’t washed your hair and aren’t going the dry shampoo route. It looks polished, smooth and very intentional. The only problem I really ran into was the small, short curls around my hair that tend to stick out; but a tiny bit of oil or small bobby pins should take of that easily enough.