PDA

View Full Version : Silicone & greasy hair

Ladyjuicy08
December 8th, 2018, 02:22 PM
For months now every time I wash my hair it's greasy after I've tried everything & blamed everything from my hair supplements to maybe the silk pillowcase wasn't the best idea the water in my house even though it's affect no-one else. Then today while googling around I read about maybe it's a silicone build up now I use a sulfate/paraban free shamp/condi do these contain silicone as i remember in last 6 months my hair been like this except for when I was on holidays & using just generic hair products and my hair was back to normal nice and fluffy.

akurah
December 8th, 2018, 02:41 PM
If you post the ingredients we can tell you which ones are silicone. Or if you post exactly which brand and type (example: herbal essences hello hydration)

lapushka
December 8th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Welcome to the forum, first & foremost! :D Hope you like your stay here. :flower:

Maybe try and clarify-wash your hair with a sulfate shampoo.

I wanted to ask you if you had by chance changed your shampoo from a sulfate to a sulfate-free one recently? But then I read on and noticed you are sulfate-free. Any other change in products would be good to know about.

Those "generic" products may have been sulfates.

Sulfates aren't bad, it's just some people use them and others prefer not to. But if your scalp does fine with them and it can keep your hair from being less oily, I would try and go back to them for a short while, to see if there's a difference.

Also you could wash sulfate-free mostly, but every week wash with a sulfate, to give your hair some "air".

Anyway, I'd clarify-wash first, see what it does!

ETA: I wash with a sulfate, no-silicone shampoo mostly, because I have SD (seborrheic dermatitis) and need to keep "moisturizing" products off of my hair as good as possible, that includes silicones, they can be oil enhancing for oilier people. I do seem not to have issues with dimethicone (which is a tough one) but it is what it is. The Schwarzkopf pink cap shampoo does have a silicone and it's fine with me.

It sometimes, well, I think, often times, depends on the exact formulation of a product as well!

Ladyjuicy08
December 8th, 2018, 02:53 PM
Hi Thanks for answering I've been using Knight & Wilson shamp/condi which at 1st made my hair feel so healthy so when my hair started feeling greasy didn't even think could be the products only when I went on holidays think I used Elvive maybe mini travel sized & my hair felt normal and healthy again that I thought maybe it's the sulfate free. I don't wash hair often 2/3 times a week, I dry naturally, prb only used heat on it once a month if even ,I take hair vitamins and sleep on silk pillowcase so that's was it's so annoying as I'm trying everything to keep hair healthy .I washed with clarifying shampoo today it feels little less greasy so maybe I need to use this few more times??!!

lapushka
December 8th, 2018, 04:27 PM
I washed with clarifying shampoo today it feels little less greasy so maybe I need to use this few more times??!!

Washing 2/3 a week is quite a bit. I wash mine once a week. But there are daily washers here too, so it's all fine and whatever you prefer and is good for your own scalp.

You can't really tell after it's been freshly washed, you'll have to see in the next couple of days; or did it get oily straight after washing; in which case sulfate-free is definitely not the way to go!

Dark40
December 8th, 2018, 04:28 PM
I second lapushka. Try using a clarifying shampoo. That definitely gets rid of buildup and greasiness.

Reservechic
December 8th, 2018, 04:37 PM
There are water soluble soluble silicones and then there are non-water soluble silicones. What are the names of the silicones within the products you had been using? Also, when it comes to what you use to style your hair with, please know that the products that one puts in ones hair to style it with, can have the potential to make it feel greasy.it really is hard to honestly tell what the main culprit or culprits may be towards making your hair greasy, because we would need to know more about your haircare regimen in full to best help you with this matter. Please feel free to share as much as you can!

Ladyjuicy08
December 8th, 2018, 04:47 PM
It feels greasy straight away I can tell even when wet I don't use any products in my hair just wash,air dry then good to go Not even sure there is silcones in my products just cos I read this is a possible reason in using sulfate free I wash 2/3 week cos I work in warehouse & sometimes outdoors so big build up of dirt in the air

GrowlingCupcake
December 8th, 2018, 05:07 PM
Is your conditioner silicone free?

If you're using a sulfate free shampoo, pair it with a silicone free conditioner or you will likely get build up. If using 'generic' products fixed it, your conditioner probably has silicone in it, and you basically just clarified it with a sulfate shampoo.

Ladyjuicy08
December 8th, 2018, 05:11 PM
Is your conditioner silicone free?

If you're using a sulfate free shampoo, pair it with a silicone free conditioner or you will likely get build up. If using 'generic' products fixed it, your conditioner probably has silicone in it, and you basically just clarified it with a sulfate shampoo.
Both shamp&condi are both sulfate free Wilson & knight is the brand buy it from Superdrug in UK

The-Young-Maid
December 8th, 2018, 05:34 PM
Maybe your products have too many oils/waxes in them? Even if there are no silicones, oils can build up just as bad.

MusicalSpoons
December 8th, 2018, 05:35 PM
Hmm, I can't find any ingredients for the shampoo or conditioner (strange) but it might just be too heavy for your hair. You can get sulphate-free shampoos that are very good at cleansing (not to the level of sulphate shampoos usually, unless they contain several different types of non-sulphate cleansers in which case they're probably quite drying for the hair anyway) but you can get lots of sulphate-free shampoos which aren't great at cleansing.

If you can tell us the ingredients for the generic and the sulphate-free products we can help you troubleshoot :thumbsup:

lapushka
December 8th, 2018, 05:40 PM
If you can tell us the ingredients for the generic and the sulphate-free products we can help you troubleshoot :thumbsup:

Seconding! ^^

Just type up what you see on the bottles! If you can. :)

Ladyjuicy08
December 9th, 2018, 04:06 AM
There are no ingredient on the bottle they may have been in the box it came in but I've throw that out

https://elegantagelessbeauty.wordpress.com/2018/05/15/pureplex-bond-reconstructing-shampoo-and-conditioner/

This is a review of the products

lapushka
December 9th, 2018, 05:11 AM
Yeah, reviews are no good. Ingredients would be better.

I would ditch that shampoo & conditioner, especially if it gives you oily hair and doesn't wash your hair out the right way and leaves it oily on wash day.

Maybe try more "known" brands, HASK do a good sulfate-free shampoo, and even VO5 do a sulfate-free version now (in the US at least).

Ladyjuicy08
December 9th, 2018, 05:20 AM
HASK dried my hair out but I'll definitely look around at other brands see if can find anything better Thanks

MusicalSpoons
December 9th, 2018, 07:37 AM
V05 isn't available over here (you said Superdrug so I'm assuming you're in the UK?) but Natura Siberica is, also from Superdrug - you have to check ingredients though. I'm currently mainly using Bright Earth Soapnut shampoo (more expensive) because my scalp is reeeeeally picky and doesn't seem to like cocamidopropyl betaine very much, which is in most effective sulphate-free shampoos. I am however using conditioners, mostly cone-free, from places like Poundland, Savers, Superdrug, etc. Also Co-Op, though theirs is a bit of a lighter conditioner.

It's really easy to find shampoos that are silicone-free here, lots of supermarket own-brands use SLES but not SLS so may be gentler. It's harder to find silicone-free conditioners, but if you use them not on your scalp and you make sure the shampoo suds run down the length of your hair, they might not be a problem anyway. Buildup usually happens when you use lots of silicone products, or products like heat protectant that are usually almost pure silicone. What's your usual hair routine like?

lapushka
December 9th, 2018, 09:09 AM
HASK dried my hair out but I'll definitely look around at other brands see if can find anything better Thanks

But I thought it was too oily? Am I not understanding something?

Ladyjuicy08
December 9th, 2018, 09:37 AM
Hair is too oily just mentioning that I've tried HASK before and it dried my hair out

lapushka
December 9th, 2018, 03:30 PM
Hair is too oily just mentioning that I've tried HASK before and it dried my hair out

Yes that's exactly my point, then that solves your oil problem, no? Or is it too dry?

MusicalSpoons
December 9th, 2018, 04:07 PM
Yes that's exactly my point, then that solves your oil problem, no? Or is it too dry?

Presumably if it dries out the lengths, it's not a viable solution to oily roots :)

lapushka
December 9th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Presumably if it dries out the lengths, it's not a viable solution to oily roots :)

Oh like that! Yep, that would explain it. I couldn't quite follow for a minute there. Duh. LOL!