PDA

View Full Version : Circumference

Sparkles122
December 8th, 2018, 10:20 AM
So you guys told me how to measure legnth but how do measure circumference? Is it with freshly washed hair or not so fresh? Is it high pony tail or low pony tail?

MusicalSpoons
December 8th, 2018, 10:40 AM
From the hairtyping sticky thread at the top of the forum:

Third Classifier - Your overall volume of hair

Put your hair in a ponytail with as much hair as possible in it. Don't bother with the way it looks - the goal is to have most/all of your hair in there. If it means it sits smack dab on top of your head to include face framing layers or bangs, put it there.

Measure the circumference of the ponytail. If you have short bangs and/or you can't get all of your hair in there adjust according to how much of your hair you have measured.

i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)
ii - average (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)
iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)

It shouldn't make too much difference when in the wash cycle you're measuring, because it should all compact down to the same amount. We're not talking loosely gathered, but actually holding/securing it fairly tightly because it's to see how much hair when it's compressed, so waviness/curliness/straightness shouldn't really affect the measurement very much.

Joules
December 8th, 2018, 10:51 AM
I put my ponytail at just above my ears and try to compress it as much as possible (doing it on a greasy day helps).

The sad thing is that in my case ponytail circumference doesn't mean crap. I have borderline iii ponytail, but then at about neck level my thickness drops very suddenly, and my braid looks like I barely have any hair.

Sparkles122
December 8th, 2018, 10:58 AM

It shouldn't make too much difference when in the wash cycle you're measuring, because it should all compact down to the same amount. We're not talking loosely gathered, but actually holding/securing it fairly tightly because it's to see how much hair when it's compressed, so waviness/curliness/straightness shouldn't really affect the measurement very much.

Thank you! Someone also told me how to classify (like with the number and the letter) but still not sure what my hair would be

MusicalSpoons
December 8th, 2018, 11:14 AM
Thank you! Someone also told me how to classify (like with the number and the letter) but still not sure what my hair would be

Have you looked at the thread? It's at the top of The Mane Forum; it tells you there exactly what to do to take a hairtyping picture. If you want help deciding your texture you can always post the pic and ask :)

Classifying fine/medium/coarse is a bit trickier; there are a few threads that I'll try and dig up whenever I have a bit more brainpower.

Sparkles122
December 8th, 2018, 11:23 AM
Have you looked at the thread? It's at the top of The Mane Forum; it tells you there exactly what to do to take a hairtyping picture. If you want help deciding your texture you can always post the pic and ask :)

Classifying fine/medium/coarse is a bit trickier; there are a few threads that I'll try and dig up whenever I have a bit more brainpower.

Oh now I see it, lol I didnt realize it was right there

MusicalSpoons
December 8th, 2018, 11:50 AM
Hehe, don't worry, I don't think you're the only one to not see it ;)

ravenskey
December 8th, 2018, 11:50 AM
So you guys told me how to measure legnth but how do measure circumference? Is it with freshly washed hair or not so fresh? Is it high pony tail or low pony tail?

Just a quick note on this point - I always measure on freshly washed hair because my hair gets super frizzy and puffy the longer I go without washing AND get harder to compress. I don't know the exact science behind it but I have gotten an inch's worth of difference between measuring "day after being washed" hair and "just before being washed hair" which is crazy but true. I think the frizz makes my strands "stand up" in a way so they take up more space...that may not make any sense but I can't work out any differently :shrug:

lapushka
December 8th, 2018, 11:57 AM

Yes that's how I measure too, all squashed down, usually end of the week (right before a wash) for me is when it compacts down quite nicely, much more practical for me to measure as well then because then the brushed out ponytail doesn't mess up my texture and it doesn't matter anyway. I do brush out the waves in order to have it compact, because waves and curls when freshly washed don't compact that much! They poof up like you wouldn't believe and they add to the thickness.

MusicalSpoons
December 8th, 2018, 12:28 PM
Just a quick note on this point - I always measure on freshly washed hair because my hair gets super frizzy and puffy the longer I go without washing AND get harder to compress. I don't know the exact science behind it but I have gotten an inch's worth of difference between measuring "day after being washed" hair and "just before being washed hair" which is crazy but true. I think the frizz makes my strands "stand up" in a way so they take up more space...that may not make any sense but I can't work out any differently :shrug:

I seem to recall you mentioning this before and had it in the back of my mind - I probably should have said 'shouldn't usually' or at least worded it better. lapushka you made a good point too - as a straightie I forgot that people with real texture don't always comb/brush it out :doh: (I gladly stand corrected :o)

erebus
December 8th, 2018, 01:16 PM
Do you measure before or after the hair tie?

lapushka
December 8th, 2018, 01:25 PM
Do you measure before or after the hair tie?

It should be about the same. I measure "after" it, so I leave the ponytail on tight (well as tight as it goes, right, not face-lift tight), and then I do the tape-measure leaving the elastic sitting, just "after" it, if that makes sense. :)

MusicalSpoons
December 8th, 2018, 01:29 PM
I don't know that it matters, unless you have *severe* taper straight away.

I use a ribbon, hold it round the ponytail (no hairtie, but I do pull it tightly round the ponytail) and measure that, because a tape measure is too wide and a bit unwieldy for me.

spidermom
December 8th, 2018, 01:31 PM
I think you put it into as high a ponytail as you have to in order to gather all your hair into it. Of course if you have bangs, you probably can't get them into a ponytail. I always used a thin little pony-tie and measured right around it but some say don't do that. I don't care. I don't think it's going to matter much of you're using something that does not add bulk.