PDA

View Full Version : Who here thinks the fine, thin folks look terrible with super long hair?

SheWhoCariesSun
December 7th, 2018, 06:58 PM
I REALLY want to grow mine out to waist length; however, I have super fine, thin, slick hair and I am wondering if really long hair just makes us look bad. Any thoughts, opinions (or pictures!) to prove otherwise? If so, please share!!:joy:

Wildcat Diva
December 7th, 2018, 06:59 PM
Ouch. This is gonna be a tough one.

cjk
December 7th, 2018, 07:04 PM
Depends on the look you're going for. The first image that came to mind were LOTR elves, think Legolas. And they looked amazing.

Dark40
December 7th, 2018, 07:06 PM
I don't think waist length fine thin hair looks that bad. But if you grow it out a lot longer than that yes I do think it looks horrible.

SheWhoCariesSun
December 7th, 2018, 07:07 PM
Very true - Maybe my paranoia comes from being 47 with fine, thin hair and wanting it waist length. Like, will I look like a shut-in that gave up on life? lol We can't all have a thick mane and hemline. :(

Cate36
December 7th, 2018, 07:07 PM
I REALLY want to grow mine out to waist length; however, I have super fine, thin, slick hair and I am wondering if really long hair just makes us look bad. Any thoughts, opinions (or pictures!) to prove otherwise? If so, please share!!:joy:

I think it can look lovely, but I think that depends on the condition.. shiny healthy long hair looks great whether thin or thick IMO.. maybe frame around your face to give it some fullness at the front, whilst keeping the length at the rear...

SheWhoCariesSun
December 7th, 2018, 07:09 PM
I think it can look lovely, but I think that depends on the condition.. shiny healthy long hair looks great whether thin or thick IMO.. maybe frame around your face to give it some fullness at the front, whilst keeping the length at the rear...

Good point, maybe the cut makes the difference? hmmmmmm

blackgothicdoll
December 7th, 2018, 07:15 PM
Terrible is a harsh word. I think it is a different look, and a preference. There are ways to style the hair differently to give it an illusion of thickness, ignoring how it looks when simply let down. I imagine braided styles and buns would look very nice, and not too bulky. The maintenance of the hemline is also very important here. It could look 'neglected' if lead hairs are let to venture too far off.

But again, that's preference, and nobody is here to judge who should and who shouldn't be allowed to grow long hair (I don't think). Nobody chooses that their hair type will be, I certainly did not choose mine, and I would not tell anybody they cannot do with their hair what makes them feel beautiful. *steps off soap box*

SheWhoCariesSun
December 7th, 2018, 07:22 PM
The maintenance of the hemline is also very important here. It could look 'neglected' if lead hairs are let to venture too far off.*

I think that's a very good point, and I bet it's easy to ignore your hemline and end up with stringy looking hair. I am looking forward to when my hair is long enough for me to trim my own hemline by flipping it forward!

littlestarface
December 7th, 2018, 07:26 PM
well according to my family its not possible, everyone says my hair looks horrible cuz its so thin, so I try to keep it at a reasonable length now so that it doesn't look too bad. If I try to grow it longer it starts looking really bad tho.

blackgothicdoll
December 7th, 2018, 07:30 PM
well according to my family its not possible, everyone says my hair looks horrible cuz its so thin, so I try to keep it at a reasonable length now so that it doesn't look too bad. If I try to grow it longer it starts looking really bad tho.

What on earth do people define as thin?! Your hair is not something I would ever call thin :/

iforgotmylogin
December 7th, 2018, 07:51 PM
Long hair looks rad on everyone

Chromis
December 7th, 2018, 08:09 PM
I think people can keep their opinions to themselves if they think my hair looks terrible.

cjk
December 7th, 2018, 08:20 PM
I don't see it as objectionable.

https://66.media.tumblr.com/3bbbec6cf39ce4575539997d02641ea8/tumblr_inline_mh67qo6fpD1rnrk68.jpg

almostghost
December 7th, 2018, 08:41 PM
Maybe just try growing it for a year or two while keeping up with your ends/hemline, and see how you feel about it as it comes along. Anyway your hair type thing says f/m/ii so unless you mis-entered it, I'm not sure I'd call that "super fine and thin." My sister has 1a/f/i hair that she's grown to BSL/waist a couple times and I always thought it looked pretty when she had it long.

sugar&nutmeg
December 7th, 2018, 08:47 PM
Haartraum's YT video for care of fine and thin hair is helpful. Her two friends have very pretty, not-thick hair. (unsure how to link)

Obsidian
December 7th, 2018, 08:51 PM
Pfft, my mom is in her 70's with waist/hip length thin grey hair. Its very fine, almost cob webby and quite thin due to breakage and some natural thinning at the scalp. Is it amazing hair? No, but its not horrible either, its shiny and healthy and makes nice up do's
She wears bangs which really helps to give shape around her face and the length is either in a bun or braid. I rarely see it down and was recently surprised to see how long it actually is which I'm still not really sure about. Its so fine it sticks to her clothes so its hard to see the true length.

She trims a inch or two off herself whenever it starts to get a bit long for her. She has requested that we do not cut her hair if she ever becomes unable to care for herself, just put it in a braid and let it be which I will do. Ultimately it doesn't matter what I or others think, its all about her and what makes her happy.

daisy rei
December 7th, 2018, 09:03 PM
I think longer looks better, no matter the hair texture/thickness.

Dark40
December 7th, 2018, 09:12 PM
Very true - Maybe my paranoia comes from being 47 with fine, thin hair and wanting it waist length. Like, will I look like a shut-in that gave up on life? lol We can't all have a thick mane and hemline. :(

Yeah, I know whatcha mean. I'm 47 too but my hair isn't thin. It's between fine/thick texture, and I'm at waist length now, and I'm loving the way my hair looks! No, I don't think you would look like a shut-in that gave up on life. lol That's very true that we all can't have thick manes and hemlines. :(

Joules
December 8th, 2018, 12:44 AM
Seeing people with ii thickness saying their hair is thin kinda upsets me. What's even considered thin?

I had a classmate in middle school with tailbone length fine and thin blonde hair (naturally blonde), I always thought it looked like a soft and gentle waterfall. Our teacher however often commented on how so-and-so "has no hair". So yeah, I think fine and thin hair can look very beautiful, but some people will inevitably be horrible.

maborosi
December 8th, 2018, 12:47 AM
I think it can look very nice- very ethereal. It is a bit harder to maintain healthy thin and fine hair- you'll have to be more gentle with it, but I think fine hair is great because when it's well-cared for, the softness is unmatched.
Plus, with fine/thin hair, you can do updos much sooner, thus allowing you to get an earlier start on protective styling. Not to mention, too, that it's easier to do more intricate/complex braids and such with finer hair. :)

Hope that helps.

Lady Stardust
December 8th, 2018, 02:00 AM
Ouch. This is gonna be a tough one.

Ouch indeed. “Terrible” is a really harsh way to word it.

My hair is ii but the lower end, and I suspect that it might slip into i when the henna has grown out. Every now and then there will be a generalised comment on the forum, for example, that people with thin hair look better with shoulder length hair and longer hair doesn’t look nice, and it’s just horrible to read.

I think that thinner hair can look absolutely beautiful, floaty and ethereal. It’s less forgiving in terms of condition and hemline, I think it’s possible to get away with a lot more with thick hair. For that reason, I grow my hair slowly with regular trims and prioritise condition over length. I have fairly fragile hair though and I’ve seen some lovely heads of thinner hair here, damaged or otherwise.

I’m glad that comments like this are few and far between on this forum. If I hadn’t been here for a while already this would have put me off the forum, and would possibly have deterred me from growing my hair.

Estrid
December 8th, 2018, 02:11 AM
I chuckled when I read the title. I thought it was about good looking, skinny people with long hair :redgrin: Wondered what in the world it was about, why would that look bad?

Now, I guess I've heard people say things like that before, but I've personally never thought it looks bad at all. A lot of people around where I live got hair that's on the thinner side, and I know that when I was younger I often envied them. Their hair looked so polished, regal almost, most of them had long hair, and they could easily put it up and it looked fantastic.

illicitlizard
December 8th, 2018, 02:25 AM
I don't think anyone could look truly terrible overall just by the way they keep their hair.

Any long hair that is well maintained will look good, obviously it's hard to keep long hair in good condition, possibly more so for fine and thin hair. But either way, who gives a damn what other people think? If you want long hair, grow for it!
I believe this >> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l5GGpYzJW_A is the vid mentioned by sugar&nutmeg, shows a girl with long thin/fine hair and it looks great!

victorian girl
December 8th, 2018, 02:42 AM
Haartraum's YT video for care of fine and thin hair is helpful. Her two friends have very pretty, not-thick hair. (unsure how to link)

https://youtu.be/l5GGpYzJW_A Here it is! This was the first thing I thought of when I saw this thread too:)

I have fine-ish hair that's also quite sparse (something that's not often measured or mentioned on LHC - ponytail circumference doesn't really show that), my hair is also prone to shedding due to Hashimoto's, so I often doubt my hair-growing decision. However, you never know how it's going to look like until you see it on yourself. In my culture long and THICK hair is really praised (like, "a braid as thick as an arm" is the traditional ideal), but in reality it's very rare to have such hair, so many women (like my mom, who has the same hair type as me) don't think their hair is "worthy" of growing long, even if they want to try it. But what I've noticed is that long and healthy hair looks to others quite impressive and the thickness doesn't really matter. So my plan for my own hair is to be nice and gentle to what hair I do have, and to nurture it properly from the inside to maybe improve the thickness a bit (or at least not to lose what I already have). Supplements are helpful sometimes, especially with shedding, but I think it's better to do your research very carefully and to consult your doctor. And I also think that F/M hair is great anyways, it's so nice and soft to touch (I love my own F/M hair, as you can see!)

ravenskey
December 8th, 2018, 04:18 AM
A friend of mine who has now cut her hair shorter used to have Hip length hair. I can't say for sure but judging by plait size she was definitely lower end of ii maybe even i but her hair was amazing. She was one of my IRL inspirations and her choice to cut was NOT because it looked bad, it was a fashion choice because she'd had long hair since she was a little kid and wanted to try out a new look.

spidermom
December 8th, 2018, 05:36 AM
It's not about what anybody else thinks; it's about what YOU think and feel. No matter what you do with your hair, somebody is going to think it looks terrible and somebody else is going to think it looks terrific. So please, do what makes you feel good and don't worry about the rest of us.

MusicalSpoons
December 8th, 2018, 05:42 AM
Not *thin* hair, but on the thinner side of average, beautiful at any length: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=146590

[littlestarface I can't believe my eyes! I don't know how thick the rest of your family's hair must be then, because yours certainly does not appear to be thin!! But, if it truly is the thinner side of average, you are a perfect example that super long hair can look amazing even on the thinner side.]

OP, I'm also of the opinion that condition matters more than hair type. Thinner, finer hair may be less forgiving of any damage, but if it's haughty it will always look beautiful.

Ylva
December 8th, 2018, 05:50 AM
I chuckled when I read the title. I thought it was about good looking, skinny people with long hair :redgrin: Wondered what in the world it was about, why would that look bad?

Me too! :lol:

Well, OP, if you have F/M/ii hair then you and I have the same thickness, and to my understanding, that's more average/"normal" than thin. Of course, I've also been told by several people that I have thin hair.

lapushka
December 8th, 2018, 06:38 AM

My mom is i, ii is average, so not thin.

I'm afraid this is a bit of a... IDK issue for me because why on earth would i hair long not be gorgeous? My mom had BSL+ flaming red hair with thick bangs at one point in her life (between 40 & 50) and it looked amazing on her.

gingerninja
December 8th, 2018, 07:13 AM
Hair can look beautiful regardless of thickness or texture, healthiness is the most important thing.

lushfanatic
December 8th, 2018, 07:37 AM

Now, I guess I've heard people say things like that before, but I've personally never thought it looks bad at all. A lot of people around where I live got hair that's on the thinner side, and I know that when I was younger I often envied them. Their hair looked so polished, regal almost, most of them had long hair, and they could easily put it up and it looked fantastic.

That's exactly what I thought, lol!

lushfanatic
December 8th, 2018, 07:40 AM
Most of the women I see on long hair pages on Instagram do have thinner, finer hair and I think it looks so silky and graceful. Not that my opinion matters - if you want to grow your hair, grow it! As someone with thicker hair I was told not to get layers countless times when I was younger and so my natural response was to want them even more lol. They didn't even look bad anyway. Life's too short to care.

aethyra
December 8th, 2018, 07:49 AM

Judging by your signature pic, your hair is AMAZING!! Thin? Sparse? Not at all...

H o n є y ❤
December 8th, 2018, 08:03 AM
I'm gonna grow my hair out and find out for myself!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 8th, 2018, 08:03 AM
But littlestarface, according to your stats your hair is normal thickness, not thin - so whoever is saying it's thin has no idea what they are talking about!!!

Why wouldn't fine thin long hair look gorgeous? As long as it's healthy, all hair is beautiful. Including long, fine and thin hair. Terrible? Goodness me :p

MidnightMoon
December 8th, 2018, 11:32 AM
I thought I replied but apparently not. Meant to say that if the hair looks healthy and glossy I wouldn't think it's terrible, even though I do think that coarser hair looks better. Thickness is also important, but it doesn't contribute to the appearance of healthy hair as much. I have fine hair and it gets damaged easily, and my ends look trashy easily. Having a lot of it doesn't make it shinier, softer, or anything. It's often flying around everywhere and getting knotted. If I could choose different hair, I would prefer coarser strands for sure, it just looks different, I don't know :/ you also don't get scalp cleavage, or greasy roots so quick, and doesn't look like a giant candy floss (had this happen today lol).
But it's not terrible... that sounds too harsh. Only veerry thin hair, perhaps... like when it tapers too much and becomes transparent.

hannabiss
December 8th, 2018, 12:19 PM
It depends. Some times its nice other times...I dont personally think it looks good. But thats a case by case thing really.

spidermom
December 8th, 2018, 01:26 PM
I saw a woman in a grocery store a few years ago who was wearing a high ponytail that tapered out to nothing somewhere around knee to calf length. It looked quite thin but of course I don't know what her ponytail circumference was. The ends were only a few hairs thick, but they must have been at least ankle length, maybe floor, when not gathered into a high ponytail. Impressive!

lapushka
December 8th, 2018, 01:28 PM
We have the fine, thin hair thread around here, with lots of examples of people with i long(er) hair. Maybe you could draw some inspiration from there. It doesn't have to be negative! :flower:

Here's the thread, BTW:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17115

Cg
December 8th, 2018, 01:58 PM
From one repugnant (dreadful, revolting, vile, ghastly) thinnie to all you others: rock your hair!

Lady Stardust
December 8th, 2018, 02:26 PM
From one repugnant (dreadful, revolting, vile, ghastly) thinnie to all you others: rock your hair!

Well said :)

MusicalSpoons
December 8th, 2018, 02:47 PM
Cg I would love to see your hair :)

Alissalocks
December 8th, 2018, 04:27 PM
I have very fine and thin hair, my ponytail circumference is barely 2.25", I'm 48, and my hair is at hip length. I've learned to love my hair, and have every intention of growing longer.

If others think it looks terrible, well... don't look. :laugh:

Arciela
December 8th, 2018, 05:11 PM
I've seen plenty of thin/fine hair and I think its so pretty! I am so jealous how it always looks so shiny. My sister has hair like that and all she does is use pretty much any cheapo conditioner/shampoo and her hair looks perfect. Where as me..I have thick, curly/wavy hair and each time I wash it I hope it looks half decent if I am lucky. >_> I say grow it out if you want! All hair is beautiful :flower:

MusicalSpoons
December 8th, 2018, 05:25 PM
I have very fine and thin hair, my ponytail circumference is barely 2.25", I'm 48, and my hair is at hip length. I've learned to love my hair, and have every intention of growing longer.

I think I saw a pic of your hair on the 2-2.5" circumference thread; it was gorgeous! So shiny and healthy looking, like a silky black sheet :crush:

Jo Ann
December 8th, 2018, 08:59 PM

Methinks your family needs their eyes checked, because your pictures show otherwise :thud:

Jo Ann
December 8th, 2018, 09:02 PM

You ROCK that look, Alissa! I've never thought of your hair as anything less than gorgeous!

iforgotmylogin
December 9th, 2018, 04:34 AM
Methinks your family needs their eyes checked, because your pictures show otherwise :thud:

Real talk. Profile pic hair looks thicker than mine

enting
December 9th, 2018, 06:43 AM
Absolutely not! We have a wonderful thread here on the forum for i thickness. I would agree that hair in bad condition is going to look worse than hair in excellent condition, but I would never consider thin finies to have "terrible" hair! It is simply a different look that some people have to get used to before appreciating since society is heavily biased against it.

Wendyclaire
December 9th, 2018, 03:16 PM
It’s up to you how you want to wear your hair. Women (more then men) are much more critical of themselves and how we look versus how we want to look, or how others think we should look. Your pictures of your hair is beautiful. I think you’re too hard on yourself! I’ve been that way all of my life. To fat, my arms are too big, legs too short, hair is never right, on and on! I’m getting better though! Enjoy your life. At 64 I realize life goes by so fast so I don’t listen to other’s criticism of my looks. I get, “when are you going to cut your hair” and when are you going to grow up” all the time from family. Haha! Never I say!! Hope I didn’t ramble too much!

Lizabeth94
December 9th, 2018, 06:12 PM
I tend to love long thin hair, and I think it looks beautiful. I think I’m drawn to it, because of the scalp pain I get with my migraines. If my hair wasn’t so thick i don’t think it would hurt as much, so I feel super jealous when I see people with long fine hair.

ursaV
December 9th, 2018, 07:16 PM
I jumped on this thread to link Haartraum's video, but apparently I was not original in that thought x) It was one of the first things to get me to really love my thin hair though, so I'm very grateful to her for that.

I really do think all textures look beautiful as long as they're well maintained. I think a lot of negative comments come from people who may have seen someone with ratty ends and very long hair and it just stuck with them. Probably the same people who think you need trims every six weeks and that blow drying your hair every day doesn't cause damage. Try to push out the doubts and embrace your uniqueness, even if some can't appreciate it. :o

kitcatsmeow
December 10th, 2018, 06:02 AM
How thin are we talking? See through ends? Yuck. If it’s so thin it’s just sticking to clothing and “spiderwebing” I think it’s looks bad. However as long as it’s healthy and thin, I think it looks fine. Of course we are our own worst critics. I just went through a pretty major shed and I’m dealing with the aftermath that is left and I “think” it looks horrible but reality it’s not that bad and I’m trying to maintain my length while I regrow some thickness.
Regardless of anything, do what makes you happy.

lapushka
December 10th, 2018, 07:19 AM
How thin are we talking? See through ends? Yuck. If it’s so thin it’s just sticking to clothing and “spiderwebing” I think it’s looks bad. However as long as it’s healthy and thin, I think it looks fine. Of course we are our own worst critics. I just went through a pretty major shed and I’m dealing with the aftermath that is left and I “think” it looks horrible but reality it’s not that bad and I’m trying to maintain my length while I regrow some thickness.
Regardless of anything, do what makes you happy.

I think that's quite a strong statement, however you are entitled to your feelings as I am to mine. The thinner ends are "typical" of fairytale ends, though and I think they look lovely.

cestlavie
December 10th, 2018, 08:04 AM
As long as it looks healthy I think there is no reason to define thin/fine long hair as ugly. It can actually look very dreamish, like the elves of LOTR as stated before.

lapushka
December 10th, 2018, 08:36 AM
As long as it looks healthy I think there is no reason to define thin/fine long hair as ugly. It can actually look very dreamish, like the elves of LOTR as stated before.

^^ Fully agree with that! :)

LittleTea
December 10th, 2018, 08:57 AM
This was my hair at a little past waist-length:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34426&d=1544457010

I'm i/ii. Yes, my ends were see-through and I would constantly compare myself to people on LHC with ii and iii hair. It's taken me a long time to accept that my hair isn't going to get any thicker, and I used to feel bad about it all the time.

Now, I think my hair is beautiful. I don't feel that comparing oneself to other people is a positive thing, and I don't do it anymore. :blossom:

lapushka
December 10th, 2018, 09:24 AM
I think your hair is beautiful, LittleTea! And where are the thin ends? :shrug: It looks perfectly fine to me; goes to show we can be our worst, absolute worst, critics!

LittleTea
December 10th, 2018, 09:37 AM
I think your hair is beautiful, LittleTea! And where are the thin ends? :shrug: It looks perfectly fine to me; goes to show we can be our worst, absolute worst, critics!

Thanks! My hair is currently at CBL, and I'm growing out to FTL. My texture would hide my thin ends since they would fluff out, but trust me they were thin. Lots of fairytaling (which I do like the look of :)), and they were especially noticeable when in braids.

Even if I do have very thin ends at FTL, I don't care lol. It's the choice of having long, thin hair or short, thin hair and I'd rather long.

Another benefit of thin hair is that updos can be done at much shorter lengths. :) I can successfully do a lazy wrap bun at collarbone length with a hair fork.

*Wednesday*
December 10th, 2018, 09:52 AM

I see in your hair type;

2a/2b/F/M/ii

This is mine;

2b/F/ii

Our hair, according to the stats is similar, except your hair is noted "fine-medium" but we share "ii" similar volume. My signature pic, though I have fine hair I don't have "thin" hair. It's actually somewhat dense. Your question does not fit your hair profile. Someone with a type 1a/1b/F/i would be more inclined to ask this question in which I would reply healthy hair always looks good long.

MusicalSpoons
December 10th, 2018, 10:08 AM
I see in your hair type;

2a/2b/F/M/ii

This is mine;

2b/F/ii

Our hair, according to the stats is similar, except your hair is noted "fine-medium" but we share "ii" similar volume. My signature pic, though I have fine hair I don't have "thin" hair. It's actually somewhat dense. Your question does not fit your hair profile. Someone with a type 1a/1b/F/i would be more inclined to ask this question in which I would reply healthy hair always looks good long.

THANK YOU!!! I you've put into words what was niggling me about this and I couldn't quite put my finger on it. Plus the question linking waist-length with 'super-long' still makes me laugh :grin:

OP, we also share some hair stats - F/M/ii; my ponytail circumference is currently ~3.25 inches. I have some pictures in the Classic to Knee thread if you want to see how ii ends can look at those lengths, and judge for yourself :flower: they are thin, no doubt about it, but whether they look completely terrible or not is a matter of opinion :) But for waist, I can assure you, you really have nothing to worry about!

kitcatsmeow
December 10th, 2018, 10:47 AM
I think that's quite a strong statement, however you are entitled to your feelings as I am to mine. The thinner ends are "typical" of fairytale ends, though and I think they look lovely.

Exactly, it’s my opinion which is what the OP asked for. I hate fairytale ends and much prefer a nice hem. Doesn’t have to be perfect but I dislike anything that looks like a tail.

Estrid
December 10th, 2018, 11:07 AM
Exactly, it’s my opinion which is what the OP asked for. I hate fairytale ends and much prefer a nice hem. Doesn’t have to be perfect but I dislike anything that looks like a tail.

I'm guessing that she meant that you could put it a little bit nicer. Expressing disgust ("yuck") or using words like "hate" are quite strong when they are about something that many people on these forums have. Preferring one look over the other, or disliking one look, is fine, but it's not wrong to be a bit thoughtful with the choice of words.

bparnell75
December 10th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Me I agree and this is my own delima. That is why I never wear my tailbone +hair down. Maybe a braid or pony tail.

kitcatsmeow
December 10th, 2018, 11:21 AM
I'm guessing that she meant that you could put it a little bit nicer. Expressing disgust ("yuck") or using words like "hate" are quite strong when they are about something that many people on these forums have. Preferring one look over the other, or disliking one look, is fine, but it's not wrong to be a bit thoughtful with the choice of words.

It’s my opinion and that’s how I express myself. We are all grown ups here. I wasn’t attacking anyone personally just voicing my particular view. I don’t feel the need to downplay my opinions or apologize for them because someone might be a little sensitive.

Milkchocolate
December 10th, 2018, 12:24 PM
I don’t think thin hair is what makes long hair look bad. You can have the thickest hair but if it has not been taken care of.. such as damaged, fried, heat and bleach abuse..then that is what can make it look terrible! Bottom line... terrible hair looks terrible lol. Thin hair can look very pretty as long it is moisturized and healthy (just like with thick hair and every type for that matter) :)

Chromis
December 10th, 2018, 12:25 PM
Moderation reminder:

"I came for the hair care advice, but I stayed for the friends."

It has been said more than once that TLHC is one of the nicest sites on the 'net. That's because we have exceptional members who genuinely care about each other and terrific moderators who strive to make sure everyone has the best experience possible. The feeling created is very much like an extended family.

On occasion, however, a quarrel will occur, or a bit of snark will creep into people's messages, and this note is a gentle reminder that the best antidote for that is for everyone to monitor their own posts. Using the Report Button is a great help to the moderators by alerting us to problems, but prevention is a way that everyone can help maintain that warm community spirit. So, as we like to say, KNIT before you post.

Before you hit the "Submit" button, review what you're about to say.

Is it Kind?

Is it Necessary?

Is it Informative?

Is it True?

Read your words as if someone else were saying them to you. How would you receive them? Would you be offended, hurt or angry? If your post doesn't pass those tests, try again. If you simply can't compose something, let the thread go, and maybe try again later.

Every once in a while, there will be something that you cannot agree with. No one expects there to be a complete meeting of minds on every single topic discussed here. In those cases, we ask for tolerance - not acceptance, but tolerance. The other person is always worthy of respect. If you post, do not attack. Agree to disagree, and let your words be civil and even as kind as possible.

Thank you, everyone, for making this such a wonderful community.

Love,
The Mod Squad

aethyra
December 10th, 2018, 12:44 PM

Yes. You have wonderfully thick and amazing goddess/princess hair as do the other fairy tale princess hair girls that post here.

Edit to add: after looking at everyone's photos in this thread that consider their hair thin, I am inclined to feel that my bsl hair is disgracefully thin.

This thread and the comments made me cry in realization that ny hair is pathetic. Not blaming anyone for the realization, however.

LittleTea
December 10th, 2018, 01:00 PM
I am inclined to feel that my bsl hair is disgracefully thin.

"Thinness" is a range just as thickness is. ;) Personally I feel that we, at LHC, have unrealistic standards about what "thick" is lol. I like people-watching and the majority of people where I am have "thin" hair by LHC standards.

Not to mention, I think people tend to post photos when their hair is looking at its best. Back when my hair was long and would leave it down, the ends always looked scraggly because my hair likes to clump together. I wouldn't post that on here. :rolling:

MusicalSpoons
December 10th, 2018, 01:31 PM
"Thinness" is a range just as thickness is. ;) Personally I feel that we, at LHC, have unrealistic standards about what "thick" is lol. I like people-watching and the majority of people where I am have "thin" hair by LHC standards.

Not to mention, I think people tend to post photos when their hair is looking at its best. Back when my hair was long and would leave it down, the ends always looked scraggly because my hair likes to clump together. I wouldn't post that on here. :rolling:

I completely agree with every single word of this! The fact that lots of us iis think of hair is thin is silly, really. ii hair is by definition average! If your hair is i, then yes it is thin ... but so what?! There's absolutely nothing negative about having fewer follicles on your head than the average person :confused: there's also nothing inherently positive about having more follicles on your scalp than the average person, either :shrug:

I think the only rational reasoning behind this conditioning to think that thicker=better is that hair, being an external indicator of health, will be thinner than it potentially can be if you're not internally healthy*. But if you're looking after your thin hair, it will look healthy and beautiful and it will all be good!

*We're talking relatively, here, such as big deficiencies or medications messing things up. The majority of the general population probably don't really have to worry, even those of us with chronic illnesses tbh.

harpgal
December 10th, 2018, 01:37 PM
SheWhoCariesSun, I have read this entire thread as I have very fine hair, albeit a bit thicker at the nape. This is only my personal opinion but I think fine, thin hair looks better with a blunt hemline. Letting the hem taper out will make it look much thinner, although I think wavy/curly hair does look better tapered out than straight hair.

Waist is a lovely length. When I was your age, my hair was somewhat between waist and tailbone. I am wondering; are you sensitive about having long hair at your age? I know there is societal pressure to cut hair when a person “gets to a certain age”. Waist is a wonderful length to wear your hair down, but I think you will find that as your hair gets longer, you may want to wear it in a variety of updos. That's the fun of having long hair.

No, I do not think long fine, thin hair looks “bad”. But what do I know? I'm just a long haired geezer (70).

Ligeia Noire
December 10th, 2018, 01:40 PM
LittleTea the picture you posted here does not look like what you are describing at all. My ends clump together just like that too and when I do braids my tassel is thin too. By reading this thread I think people's notions on hair thickness is a bit scrambled... either way that's quite the title for a problematic thread. I was always told to cut my hair to shoulder because it was eating me up or it looked bad or that i looked like cousin it....and guess what I couldn't care less. What looks beautiful to my neighbour looks unappealing to me and vice-versa. You do you. If it makes you happy do not worry about other people's opinions...

LittleTea
December 10th, 2018, 01:53 PM
LittleTea the picture you posted here does not look like what you are describing at all. My ends clump together just like that too and when I do braids my tassel is thin too.

My ponytail circumference is 2.25 (i/ii). What I meant is that, when my hair clumps together my thin ends are a lot more visible. When my hair is freshly washed (as it is in the picture), the ends are fluffy due to my hair texture (although the texture in the pic is due to damp bunning).

Personally, I find both thin and thick hair beautiful in their own unique ways. :)

ArienEllariel
December 10th, 2018, 02:36 PM
I think people can keep their opinions to themselves if they think my hair looks terrible.

Seconding this. I've always rather disliked that fine/thin hair is considered not attractive. it's like we get compared to the girl in The Ring movie or something. Truly, I think what matters is whether or not you personally like your hair and to heck with whatever other people might say.

ravenskey
December 10th, 2018, 02:37 PM
LittleTea the picture you posted here does not look like what you are describing at all. My ends clump together just like that too and when I do braids my tassel is thin too. By reading this thread I think people's notions on hair thickness is a bit scrambled... either way that's quite the title for a problematic thread. I was always told to cut my hair to shoulder because it was eating me up or it looked bad or that i looked like cousin it....and guess what I couldn't care less. What looks beautiful to my neighbour looks unappealing to me and vice-versa. You do you. If it makes you happy do not worry about other people's opinions...

I agree with all of this^^^
And yes, those of us with "thick" hair do also get told that we should cut because "you're just a pile of hair" or "there's way too much" - I ignore these people.
You do what you like - it's your hair and it's not harming anyone else!
Finally, thickness is comparative if someone with a small frame has the same thickness as someone with super broad shoulders then their hair will LOOK thicker while being the same amount and vis versa.

ArienEllariel
December 10th, 2018, 02:42 PM
I would also like to note to the person earlier that mentioned "spider-webbing hair" that mine does that no matter whether it's short or long and it always has. So....

lapushka
December 10th, 2018, 03:01 PM
Yes. You have wonderfully thick and amazing goddess/princess hair as do the other fairy tale princess hair girls that post here.

Edit to add: after looking at everyone's photos in this thread that consider their hair thin, I am inclined to feel that my bsl hair is disgracefully thin.

This thread and the comments made me cry in realization that ny hair is pathetic. Not blaming anyone for the realization, however.

Aw don't feel bad. My mom is i, so I know what it's like and how it makes you feel. She once had ii hair and went through 2 stages of losing a lot of hair (pregnancy (permanent) and menopause).

My mom once had BSL+ hair, flaming red, i, and with thick bangs. It looked *lovely* and it was pretty in and of itself.

Don't let anyone tell you your hair isn't special or pretty. And don't judge it by comparing too much. I know I have iii hair, but I also know what it is like when someone has i hair and needs to learn to live with the fact that it was once ii.

enting
December 10th, 2018, 03:14 PM
I grew up with hairdressers commenting on how thick my hair is. My hair is 3" circumference on the nose. There's no way low 2 inches suddenly becomes thin if 3 inches is thick in some regions of the world.

A lot of us seem to wish for different thicknesses, textures, color... yet everyone else on the boards nearly inevitably looks at pictures and says how beautiful and enviable those exact traits are. I love the fact that LHC has broadened my horizons for what "good" hair is, I'm no longer bound by whatever commercials and hairdressers tell me I should like. Post more pictures. Get more compliments. Feel better about your hair, in whatever ways you're sad about it. :heartbeat

aethyra
December 10th, 2018, 03:22 PM
There are so many compassionate and lovely people on this site!!

kitcatsmeow
December 10th, 2018, 03:25 PM
I would also like to note to the person earlier that mentioned "spider-webbing hair" that mine does that no matter whether it's short or long and it always has. So....

Wasn’t pertaining to length.

Cg
December 10th, 2018, 03:26 PM
I'm not the least bit offended to hear negative adjectives about my thin hair (indeed, I find it entertaining), but it disturbs me to read the unkind words several of you have applied to your own hair. I sincerely hope no one here really believes her hair is pathetic, terrible, disgraceful, or ugly merely because it doesn't look like a shampoo ad.

My hair is thin, thinner, thinnest; it is mostly grey; it is straight as a stick; and I love it anyway. Love yours! Find ways to make the most of it and go have a good life.

ArabellaRose
December 10th, 2018, 03:40 PM
Reading this thread really hits home just how negative most people can be with their hair, it harks back to the old classic where people with straight hair want curly and vice versa. We're our own worst critics (for the most part) and spend more time noticing tiny little flaws that most other people will either not notice or even appreciate.

All hair is beautiful as long as it's well cared for. Whether you've got a blunt/U/V hemline or Fairytail ends, curly or straight, thick or thin, no matter the colour, it's all beautiful.

aethyra
December 10th, 2018, 04:00 PM
I'm not the least bit offended to hear negative adjectives about my thin hair (indeed, I find it entertaining), but it disturbs me to read the unkind words several of you have applied to your own hair. I sincerely hope no one here really believes her hair is pathetic, terrible, disgraceful, or ugly merely because it doesn't look like a shampoo ad.

My hair is thin, thinner, thinnest; it is mostly grey; it is straight as a stick; and I love it anyway. Love yours! Find ways to make the most of it and go have a good life.
Ummm. I apologize for my negative comments on my hair.

lapushka
December 10th, 2018, 04:09 PM
Ummm. I apologize for my negative comments on my hair.

Just know that your hair is precious, however it looks. Have you posted pictures of it yet? :) I would love to see it. :)

Five of Five
December 10th, 2018, 04:18 PM
Thin hair is beautiful when well-cared for, same as thick hair. It is so rare to see long, healthy fine/thin hair that I am much more likely to turn my head when I see it, than when I see long thick hair.

As much as I love LHC, the emphasis on thickness seems to make many of us insecure when we might not necessarily have been before.

lapushka
December 10th, 2018, 04:44 PM
Thin hair is beautiful when well-cared for, same as thick hair. It is so rare to see long, healthy fine/thin hair that I am much more likely to turn my head when I see it, than when I see long thick hair.

As much as I love LHC, the emphasis on thickness seems to make many of us insecure when we might not necessarily have been before.

Yes why does there "need" to be this emphasis on thick hair, as if it's the bees knees; and it's not because iii hair can be almost impossible to wash and get clean and it takes several BIG milestones before you can even achieve the most *basic* bun. It's not all it's cracked up to be, trust me! :flower:

lithostoic
December 10th, 2018, 04:51 PM
I love it on other people but not on myself. My hair isn't thin by LHC standards but in the real world it is. Strangely, hairdressers always tell me "you have such fine hair but tons of it". I'm constantly wishing for thicker hair while trying to feel grateful for what I have.

Crystawni
December 10th, 2018, 05:32 PM
I think most people have the amount of hair that works well with their features, head size, body form, culture, all that. All the adjectives in the dictionary can't describe our uniqueness, nor should we compare when there are so many variables.

My own super fine, and fairly long (~classic) hair is mostly white at the hemline--invisible, webby, floaty and fun! It actually LOOKS like spider webs, and can stick to stuff like they do. If I layer my hair (I have a lot of it--4.5" circ, but my head isn't small at 23" circ.), the delicate hair at the hemline can look very choppy with the increasing amount of non-pigmented hair taking over, especially a few days after washing when it forms stringy, straightish clumps.

This was a pic I took in February 2017 to show all the colours, but you can get an idea of what goes on:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26219&d=1487908014

Should I grow my hair longer, even if it disappears? Eff yeah! I want cascades of white, even if it will come down to clothing colour choices as to whether anyone can see it properly or not. Will it look thin? Probably; all those white hairs are bubba-fine. If people think it's yuck, I may swish my much-wanted, always longed-for long, tickly hair in their direction and :bigtongue: because I can be a petulant child, too.

You do you, and own it!

BTW, I have been trimming to "thicken up the hemline" but that's more to help with retaining length through strength (safety in what numbers I do have down there) and playing around with the shape of things. I like variety. :p

enting
December 10th, 2018, 06:22 PM
Yes why does there "need" to be this emphasis on thick hair, as if it's the bees knees; and it's not because iii hair can be almost impossible to wash and get clean and it takes several BIG milestones before you can even achieve the most *basic* bun. It's not all it's cracked up to be, trust me! :flower:

I think sometimes we have threads on thickening hair that is thinner than it used to be because of illness or sheds and I could see how that could be interpreted into a general "thicker hair is better".

I think if my hair were much thicker I would have trouble taking care of it, I'm not the most patient when it comes to detangling. I also didn't understand what others meant by "heavy" hair until I got to hip+. I don't mind having light hair at all.

lunasea
December 10th, 2018, 06:44 PM
My pony is LESS THAN 2 inches and I have TBL hair. So yeah, it's thin. And, yeah, it's a bit long. I don't wear it down- primarily because it is so fine it gets very cobwebby and catches on everything because it tends to float (it's been known to hit DH in the nose when we walk outside together while I'm leaving it down to air dry). That said, I spent years with a pixie because, when I was young, I swallowed the whole mythology that folks like me shouldn't have long hair. I've finally gotten to the stage in life where I've decided that it's MY life and My body so it's what I want that really counts. Every now and then I think about cutting but when I mention it to my friends or DH, they all say no. They like my hair, my hairtoys, and me just the way I am. Those are the folks that I care about. Everyone else can go suck an egg. :rollin:

https://i.imgur.com/JgwTGt9.jpg

almostghost
December 10th, 2018, 08:24 PM
My pony is LESS THAN 2 inches and I have TBL hair. So yeah, it's thin. And, yeah, it's a bit long. I don't wear it down- primarily because it is so fine it gets very cobwebby and catches on everything because it tends to float (it's been known to hit DH in the nose when we walk outside together while I'm leaving it down to air dry). That said, I spent years with a pixie because, when I was young, I swallowed the whole mythology that folks like me shouldn't have long hair. I've finally gotten to the stage in life where I've decided that it's MY life and My body so it's what I want that really counts. Every now and then I think about cutting but when I mention it to my friends or DH, they all say no. They like my hair, my hairtoys, and me just the way I am. Those are the folks that I care about. Everyone else can go suck an egg. :rollin:

I agree with what you've said here, but I also had to comment on how much I'm in love with that hair toy in the photo. Wow!

yahirwaO.o
December 10th, 2018, 09:55 PM
lunasea Your hair and updo toys rule!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :disco:

I used to believe that fine long scraggly hair was awful too. However like others have mentioned, fine or even thin hair can be quite stunning as long as it is well cared and exude attitude of rocking it.

While I do enjoy a full hem on me and my fine hair has a tendency of growing quite sparse at the bottom, I've seen quite few people in real life that have proved that taper is acceptable. Damaged hair is quite noticiable, even then I've seen people with trashed to hell strands, still look quite stunning with it (again they carry it with attitude, proud and confidence) and its miles away different from natural loved fine or thin hair.

In addition LHC is becoming a more welcoming site for people's hair insecurities like I've never seen it. I've been out of the site lately and i find it amazing how some caring people are changing their perspective about worshiping thick hair like the only possibility in length goals terms .
This thread could have been easily taboo before and like how people are sharing their opinions about it with a more realistic everyday perspective.

To add bonus, fine and thin hair have that softness that no serum or mask gives, updos and air drying is faster and it less hassle to deal definitely.

Alissalocks
December 10th, 2018, 09:57 PM
I think I saw a pic of your hair on the 2-2.5" circumference thread; it was gorgeous! So shiny and healthy looking, like a silky black sheet :crush:
Wow!! Thank you!!! :flower: It really was LHC that taught me my hair type was still a "good" thing, I'm super grateful for all the kind people here like yourself!! :hug:

Alissalocks
December 10th, 2018, 09:59 PM
You ROCK that look, Alissa! I've never thought of your hair as anything less than gorgeous!

Thank you too, love bug!!! :flower: I'm so excited to push into new length territory, thanks to LHC.

Kalamazoo
December 10th, 2018, 10:35 PM
This was my hair at a little past waist-length:
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34426&d=1544457010

I'm i/ii. Yes, my ends were see-through and I would constantly compare myself to people on LHC with ii and iii hair. It's taken me a long time to accept that my hair isn't going to get any thicker, and I used to feel bad about it all the time.

Now, I think my hair is beautiful. I don't feel that comparing oneself to other people is a positive thing, and I don't do it anymore. :blossom:

Wow. What gorgeous hair!

Kalamazoo
December 11th, 2018, 03:25 AM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=26219&d=1487908014

Beautiful! REALLY beautiful!

Stray_mind
December 11th, 2018, 03:38 AM
I used to hate "thin hair" on myself and always envied thick haired folk. I now understand that my hair is just average thickness and that thick hair wouldn't even suit me. I came to appreciate hair on the thinner side more and i think no matter wether thick or thin, healthy hair will always look pretty.

TreesOfEternity
December 11th, 2018, 04:08 AM
Any thickness can look bad if it's not well taken care of. Fine or thin hair can look extremelly shiny and silky, I think it just as beautiful as any other type of hair.

Kalamazoo
December 11th, 2018, 04:16 AM
I think my hair's about hip-length now. I thought it was thin until I read the rules for measuring & realized I was supposed to measure the ponytail wherever it was thickest. For me, that's up where a unicorn's horn would be. :rolleyes: No, I don't think I'll ever wear my ponytail up there. It would definitely be an all-in-my-own-face sort of day! :wigtongue But if I put my ponytail down at the nape, then its circumference is clearly in i territory.

I started growing my hair 2 years ago, at age almost 60, when I realized it was 1/4 the thickness it used to be, back in junior high. Guess what! It has thickened up!

But the joys of having thin, fine hair?
1. Drying time is 10 minutes, in front of the AC in my car while I'm driving wherever.
2. It's very lightweight. I think if I am able to grow it down to the floor, it will probably still weigh less than a pound, perhaps less than 8 oz. So I'm never going to have headaches or neck problems, no matter how long it gets.
3. Those fairy tale ends are really good at securing an updo.
4. A year ago, after my sudden growth spurt, I trimmed off 4 or more inches (my entire growth spurt), thinking I was going to thicken up the ends & get a blunt hemline. Well, it looked blunter, but I didn't want to cut off another 12" as well to really get it blunt, because then I KNEW I'd be unhappy with shorter-than-I'm-used-to hair. So, it didn't actually look blunt, but I found I disliked my newfound relative chunkiness when trying to do an updo. The taper just blends in better.
5. After trimming off my growth spurt, as my hair has been growing the past year, all the bluntness has disappeared, & I'm right back to fairy tale ends shading into invisible. And you know what? I've made up my mind, I'm not cutting them off this time, no matter what, because (after all) they ARE length.
6. It was after my growth spurt & after my 4+" trim when I found LHC. I had never heard the term "fairy tale ends" before. Suddenly, they sounded rather romantic. I started liking them!
7. I've started getting compliments on my hair again.

So, in conclusion, I've decided that this particular fine thin folk has become more attractive, the longer my hair has got.

Kalamazoo
December 11th, 2018, 04:23 AM

Gorgeous! REALLY!!!

zashin66
December 11th, 2018, 05:02 AM

Well... Don't know if I need to go suck an egg (laughing to self about picture this creates).:D:D:D
And I have always had to deal with really thick horse hair type problems with my mane. But I was always jealous of my twin sister's pretty floaty hair. Here is my embarrassing story:
I was in 8th grade (ya know that age, 13 and not sure how to do anything socially) and very awkward. I got a crush on a ninth grader at my bus stop. I decided to curl my hair with visions of having a cloud of beautiful hair that would make him speechless with my beauty........uhm didn't turn out that way..........

I used sponge curlers all night on my hair and in the morning I definitely had a cloud of hair. My 'crush' was not speechless. His delighted comment was "What did you do put your finger in a light socket?"

I just died..I was so embarrassed. I never, ever, ever, ever tried to impress any one with a hairdo ever again. EVER.......(fades to black)

Moral of story.... My sister would never have had that problem. She put her hair in rollers and had clouds of floaty curly hair. Used blow-dryer and had straight silky hair. Me never. Blow dryer meant hair out to there, dry and crackly. The hot rollers meant an hour getting my hair to agree to stay put in the rollers while trying to get the hair rolled before the curlers cooled off too much and then enjoy 45 minutes of curls and hairspray before having nice straightened hair. So......

I learned to braid and braid and braid instead. I can do lots of braids. Don't have to pancake them for effect, just have to braidl tightly enough so my hair doesn't force it's way out of the braid.

Saga over. Every hair type has it's woes and benefits. Just love it the way it comes. Enjoy it's perks and sigh over it's woes and learn to laugh at everything else.

:joy::joy::joy::cheer::puppy:

VenusianMane
December 11th, 2018, 07:08 AM
I don't think long thin hair looks terrible at all, as many have said, healthy and well taken care of hair of any thickness and length is beautiful
I personally almost never noticed that someone's hair is particularly thin, much less thought that this made it look bad

That said, I agree with what lapushka and others have said about the disadvantages of thicker hair
I was actually not at all aware that thick hair *apparently* is so much more desirable before coming here, and I admit I got happier about my hair once I learned that

But I've always envied thinner hair, I
in classes throughout all the years I watched the pretty girls with thinner beautiful long hair pulling then effortlessly into buns, I found that, and thinner hair in general, so beautiful, delicate, elegant and feminine, my hair wasn't like that, and I could never do buns

With that much hair + it being wavy, it is common for me to not feel put together, feeling messy, unkempt and not feminine, especially if I can't manage to properly moisturize my hair and it turns out frizzy (which happened for most of my life)
There's also the comments about the hair taking over you, "swallowing your face" and such, which until this day make me insecure about growing it long

The drying takes forever, I have to plan my life on drying time, I (mostly) can't do any buns yet, I could never follow any hairstyle tutorials on YT because I have too much hair and it isn't long enough, it is a hassle to manipulate it into any simple hairstyle and it's heavy

TBH despite all that I love my hair, despite sometimes wishing it was thinner I really love the volume I get with having thick and wavy hair, and I actually get bothered when my hair is less voluminous/appears thinner, but I think that's because it is how *is*, so I got used to it, I've identified myself with it, as someone who has thick wavy hair and I don't like it when it looks different than that, but maybe that's an unusual perspective

I wish I could do buns though, and other hairstyles and more easily too, and I wish I stopped feeling unkempt and unfeminine at times because of my thick hair, but everything has its downsides and I love my hair and it's thickness despite all that, and I think everyone here has beautiful hair and should focus on the things you love about it

LittleTea
December 11th, 2018, 07:37 AM
Wow. What gorgeous hair!

Thank you! I aspire for my hair to be like that again one day. I'm currently at CBL and growing out layers, a side shave, and bangs, so my hair is more like i thickness right now (my braid is about the thickness of a sharpie marker :)), but that doesn't prevent me from wearing it down when I feel like it.

I'm loving all the positivity in this thread! :flower: Thin hair is beautiful when it's healthy, nothing can beat the softness! :bigtongue:

lapushka
December 11th, 2018, 07:50 AM
The drying takes forever, I have to plan my life on drying time, I (mostly) can't do any buns yet, I could never follow any hairstyle tutorials on YT because I have too much hair and it isn't long enough, it is a hassle to manipulate it into any simple hairstyle and it's heavy

(...)

I wish I could do buns though, and other hairstyles and more easily too, and I wish I stopped feeling unkempt and unfeminine at times because of my thick hair, but everything has its downsides and I love my hair and it's thickness despite all that, and I think everyone here has beautiful hair and should focus on the things you love about it

I know. 8+H and it's not even dry at the roots by then. That is why I toweldry for about 30 min., then airdry for 2-4H and then I only have to run a diffuser through for about 5 min. total. It gets the roots dry (which is my goal) and leaves the ends a little dampish still.

Everything has its up- and downsides, true. I wore a peacock twist (later log roll) until I hit hip and that's when I could sort of comfortably bun. It's longer now and right now I'd say hip was a little "tight", but it... worked.

VenusianMane
December 11th, 2018, 08:20 AM
I know. 8+H and it's not even dry at the roots by then. That is why I toweldry for about 30 min., then airdry for 2-4H and then I only have to run a diffuser through for about 5 min. total. It gets the roots dry (which is my goal) and leaves the ends a little dampish still.

Everything has its up- and downsides, true. I wore a peacock twist (later log roll) until I hit hip and that's when I could sort of comfortably bun. It's longer now and right now I'd say hip was a little "tight", but it... worked.

Wow, that's a lot indeed! :eek:
Currently, at BSL I think it takes about 4 hours to dry, having dried for about 10 minutes and applying leave in and such before hand
My hair is not *that* thick though, I only measured my thickness once, it came out on the thinner side of iii at 11cm (4.33 in), which I've seen some people here classify as ii/iii and idk why since more than 4 in would be straight up iii, but because of that I thought I should measure again sometime

Do you know of a good tutorial of a peacock twist? I never got to learn it yet for some reason!
That's too bad :( despite me really being a fan of wearing my hair loose, I still wanted to wear buns once it a while, but with my goal length being only waist, perhaps it won't be possible :( we'll see, and *maybe* I'll actually go for hip, but I don't think I'd want to grow longer than that

lapushka
December 11th, 2018, 09:28 AM
Wow, that's a lot indeed! :eek:
Currently, at BSL I think it takes about 4 hours to dry, having dried for about 10 minutes and applying leave in and such before hand
My hair is not *that* thick though, I only measured my thickness once, it came out on the thinner side of iii at 11cm (4.33 in), which I've seen some people here classify as ii/iii and idk why since more than 4 in would be straight up iii, but because of that I thought I should measure again sometime

Do you know of a good tutorial of a peacock twist? I never got to learn it yet for some reason!
That's too bad :( despite me really being a fan of wearing my hair loose, I still wanted to wear buns once it a while, but with my goal length being only waist, perhaps it won't be possible :( we'll see, and *maybe* I'll actually go for hip, but I don't think I'd want to grow longer than that

I'm 4.25 inches; thick enough to be in the iii category, anything above 4 inches is iii, no doubt! It's when it doesn't or barely reaches 4 inches that you should put ii/iii. :)

The flexi-8 website used to have a good tutorial. I'll search on YT for you, hang on!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNmr-t8-e8Y

This one seems pretty OK for longer hair, like yours!

VenusianMane
December 11th, 2018, 09:34 AM
I'm 4.25 inches; thick enough to be in the iii category, anything above 4 inches is iii, no doubt! It's when it doesn't or barely reaches 4 inches that you should put ii/iii. :)

The flexi-8 website used to have a good tutorial. I'll search on YT for you, hang on!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNmr-t8-e8Y

This one seems pretty OK for longer hair, like yours!

I'll measure again just to see if I got it right then :)
Thank you so so much for the link! :heartbeat
Can't wait to finally try it!

Milady_DeWinter
December 11th, 2018, 09:53 AM
I do think that every thickness has its beauty. I always wanted 1b hair like my mom, but I learned to appreciate my curls, and may be those fit me better. Same goes with thickness. My hair is really thick (5 1/4"), but it's uncomfortable sometimes, and I need it to be much longer than others to be able to do lots of hairstyles. And, to me, some hairstyles look better with thin hair, hands down. Also, I always thought that thin hair looks elvish, or fairy like. I don't think that thickness make a mane better than other. I actually look more for the softness and health of the hair. Beautiful can apply to so many different things, and of course kinds of hair!

Milkchocolate
December 11th, 2018, 11:23 AM
The way I see it..you can have the biggest mansion and it could be totally unkempt and destroyed but that doesn’t mean it’s automatically pretty/ better because of its size ^_- you can have a cute little house right next to that one.. all pristine and cute and well loved and although it’s smaller in size, it’s the fact It’s taken care of that makes it beautiful. So bigger (in this case, thicker) doesn’t always mean better :)

SheWhoCariesSun
December 12th, 2018, 08:55 PM
WOW I M loving all these insights! I was second guessing my goal length but not anymore! You guys are amazing to share your time here to give advice and insights. I can’t wait to have a decent length again!!

SheWhoCariesSun
December 12th, 2018, 09:11 PM
I’m learning a lot here! Everyone who has ever touched my hair has commented that it was fine and thi. Maybe they were generalizing? Thanks for the info!

SheWhoCariesSun
December 12th, 2018, 09:26 PM
SheWhoCariesSun, I have read this entire thread as I have very fine hair, albeit a bit thicker at the nape. This is only my personal opinion but I think fine, thin hair looks better with a blunt hemline. Letting the hem taper out will make it look much thinner, although I think wavy/curly hair does look better tapered out than straight hair.

Waist is a lovely length. When I was your age, my hair was somewhat between waist and tailbone. I am wondering; are you sensitive about having long hair at your age? I know there is societal pressure to cut hair when a person “gets to a certain age”. Waist is a wonderful length to wear your hair down, but I think you will find that as your hair gets longer, you may want to wear it in a variety of updos. That's the fun of having long hair.

No, I do not think long fine, thin hair looks “bad”. But what do I know? I'm just a long haired geezer (70).

To answer your question, I do have concerns that long hair at my age will weigh my old face down, or be frowned upon at work. However... IDGAF at the end of the day. This is something I’ve always wNted: to have “Princess Hair” and I at least have to try it once!!! Age be damned!

SheWhoCariesSun
December 12th, 2018, 09:34 PM
To address those responses who picked apart my fine thin question with my hair type in my profile.....all I can say is that I approximated my answers when developing my profile here, and felt like I was on the fence. Hard to tell. I’ve been told all my life from childhood into adulthood that I had fine, thin hair by my stylists. However, based on all your pictures, answers to this thread and cumulative experience w long hair I think that I may in fact have FINE hair but not necessarily THIN hair by definition. What I can verify for sure is that it’s not thick in any way.

Your support has been amazing! I’m glad I came back to LHC.

Jo Ann
December 12th, 2018, 11:38 PM

Your hair is NOT "pathetic," Aethyra!

My hair has thinned out a lot over the years--three kids, the loss of my boyfriend of 11 years and menopause had a lot to do with that. Take a good look at my sig pic--that's how my hair grew in a year during a no-trim challenge. It would upset me if I let it, how much it thinned from BSL downward, but I choose to not let it bother me. Yes, there are others with thicker hair than mine, but I have always considered my hair one of my best features--it's strong, healthy, shiny, gives me joy and I even like the color!

My thickness is still growing down, and I'm maintaining about TBL now, and I've also chosen to bleach the back of my hair to do fun colors (at my age [62] no less!) Youngest Dear Son calls it my "Second Adolescence" :p I'm still learning how to properly care for my hair, and have made great strides since I joined LHC. The most important things I've learned since I joined LHC is to accept and enjoy my hair as it is, while taking care of it so it can look it's best.

aethyra
December 13th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Your hair is NOT "pathetic," Aethyra!

My hair has thinned out a lot over the years--three kids, the loss of my boyfriend of 11 years and menopause had a lot to do with that. Take a good look at my sig pic--that's how my hair grew in a year during a no-trim challenge. It would upset me if I let it, how much it thinned from BSL downward, but I choose to not let it bother me. Yes, there are others with thicker hair than mine, but I have always considered my hair one of my best features--it's strong, healthy, shiny, gives me joy and I even like the color!

My thickness is still growing down, and I'm maintaining about TBL now, and I've also chosen to bleach the back of my hair to do fun colors (at my age [62] no less!) Youngest Dear Son calls it my "Second Adolescence" :p I'm still learning how to properly care for my hair, and have made great strides since I joined LHC. The most important things I've learned since I joined LHC is to accept and enjoy my hair as it is, while taking care of it so it can look it's best.

Thank you for your response. It motivates me. I always thought, judging by your signature pic that you were in your 20's. I KID YOU NOT! You have the hair of a young girl and it, and you are beautiful inside and out!! Feeling love and gratitude for the wonderful women and young ladies that post here.

I will not give in to depression any longer!! It certainly does not help.

Thank you!! Sending Blessings and Love!! You are truly an inspiration, Little Girl..