PDA

View Full Version : How often do you oil the ends of your hair in-between washes?

softheartedandl
December 7th, 2018, 04:03 PM
I'm curious to see how others do this. For the past four-ish years, I've washed my hair every other day, which seems like a lot but it's what was best for my scalp. Just recently, however, my hair hasn't been getting as oily/itchy as quickly so I've been going anywhere from every other day like I usually would to three or maybe even four days without washing. When I wash every other day, the night I don't wash I would always put a little coconut oil on my ends just to keep them moisturized. Now that my washes are less frequent, I'm wondering about how I should go about oiling my ends. Do you only oil your ends once in-between washes, or every day you don't wash? I think usually I would have just continued oiling every night, but recently I've been a little worried about buildup making my ends look damaged. :)Thanks so much for your advice in advanced!

MusicalSpoons
December 7th, 2018, 04:14 PM
Once I discovered the rinse-out oil method, I haven't needed to do anything to my hair in between full washes (I also double-condition, which has helped hugely). My scalp is oily though, so when I need to look presentable during the week between full washes I'll do a scalp wash, keeping the lengths dry.

ExpectoPatronum
December 7th, 2018, 04:41 PM
It solely depends on what my hair wants. Sometimes my ends want a little oil after a couple days, other times I only oil the night before a wash.

Growitagain28
December 7th, 2018, 04:47 PM
I’m not sure if it counts but I lightly oil my ends every night before bed, and by lightly I mean less than a quarter size drop.

Cg
December 7th, 2018, 04:55 PM
I add oil to the conditioner when I wash the lengths once a month. In winter sometimes I add also diluted conditioner and oil to the ends after a weekly scalp wash. Maybe twice a month in deepest winter? Not often anyway, and for all I know it makes no difference to my hair.

*Wednesday*
December 7th, 2018, 05:02 PM
In between washes in the winter when it is very dry. Just the last 2 inches. I wet it and add a little oil. Minnie LO.

lapushka
December 7th, 2018, 05:04 PM
Once I discovered the rinse-out oil method, I haven't needed to do anything to my hair in between full washes (I also double-condition, which has helped hugely). My scalp is oily though, so when I need to look presentable during the week between full washes I'll do a scalp wash, keeping the lengths dry.

That is the same for me. The oil rinse keeps the moisture locked in for a week. I suffer from oily to normal scalp & dry (really dry) lengths, and so it takes a lot for that dry feeling to go away, but this helps hugely; and the LOC/LCO method.

spidermom
December 7th, 2018, 05:17 PM
I have only oiled the night before I plan to wash my hair, if I remember. I think I might need a new routine, though. In the past, with long hair, I had thousands, and I do mean thousands, of split ends.

Ylva
December 7th, 2018, 06:40 PM
This varies depending on how my hair feels, but let's say that generally I might oil my ends after a leave-in cream and/or liquid when it's still damp. Then I might apply some more oil at around 48 hours, and pre-poo oil before I wash (at 3 or 4 days).

blackgothicdoll
December 7th, 2018, 08:40 PM
Every day.

Joules
December 8th, 2018, 12:26 AM
I haven't felt the need to oil between washes since I started using silicones again back in September. Now that it's winter, I incorporated ROO into my routine and it saves me from cold weather. So yeah, I don't oil my ends between washes.

Back when I was cone-free I had to oil at least once, and to be honest I didn't like it at all.

maborosi
December 8th, 2018, 12:49 AM
Twice a day :)

TatsuOni
December 8th, 2018, 01:16 AM
It depends on the season and weather. But I add some moisture and then some oil around every other to third day, I think. So I only oil my hair lightly in between washes.

geenie
December 8th, 2018, 02:09 AM
What oils are most common to use? I haven't seen so much information on this. I love coconut oil but I saw somewhere that it can actually make it drier?

victorian girl
December 8th, 2018, 04:01 AM
Now in winter - once or twice a day (and I wash my hair once or twice weekly). I wear two braids to sleep, so it's just very quick and easy to use some almond oil on the ends when I re-do my hair in the morning and in the evening. Otherwise they become very dry and look and feel just horrendous.

Ylva
December 8th, 2018, 04:04 AM
What oils are most common to use? I haven't seen so much information on this. I love coconut oil but I saw somewhere that it can actually make it drier?

Some people's hair doesn't like coconut oil, but if you've discovered that you love it, chances are you're not one of those people.

browneyedsusan
December 8th, 2018, 07:36 AM
I have only oiled the night before I plan to wash my hair, if I remember. I think I might need a new routine, though. In the past, with long hair, I had thousands, and I do mean thousands, of split ends.

I used to make a lot of splits, too! Now, I oil the ends and layer a coney serum over it after every wash --> game changer!
I still make a few splits, but not near as many. (Also, I'm one of those people that coconut oil doesn't work for. I use a lighter mix.)

Wendyp
December 8th, 2018, 12:34 PM
It was 2x a day but since I found ROO Not even 1x a day, some days none!

Ophidian
December 8th, 2018, 12:41 PM
Every night before I braid for bed. Just the last few inches. Usually I use coconut, but occasionally shea butter. If my ends feel particularly dry I'll dampen my ends first. I have only had one minor trim since 2016 and I do feel like this routine is a large part of the reason why I haven't had any split ends (that and protective styling).

Lady Stardust
December 8th, 2018, 03:50 PM
I don’t need to use oil in between washes now that I do the Rinse Out Oil method every wash, and I wash 3 times a week.

If I think my hair needs something extra in between washes, I dampen my hair and use a tiny amount of leave in conditioner, but that’s rare.

Reservechic
December 8th, 2018, 04:21 PM
I don't normally oil my ends of my hair in between hair washes, because my hair is fine textured and is of low density so oiling my hair just makes it stringy and greasy to the touch. I currently use a styling gel (Bounce Curl Light Creme Gel)that has two types of natural oils in it, and glycerin high on the list, so I haven't incurred any issues with the ends of my hair looking frazzled or splitting a lot. My hair just didn't like a whole lot of products on it, at any given time, whether it is cold or hot out. I noticed that it is one of the factors that drives my scalp to flare up a lot, which is why, I stick with the bare minimum when it comes to what I use in my hair on any given day, and that is only 1 product. I also have acne prone skin, and pure oils by itself touching my skin, eventually will cause breakouts, whether it's in my face, neck, or back. Which is why, I even stopped pre-pooing my hair and scalp too with pure natural oils.

I would recommend trying the NB Panacea Hair Salve. It is a very poular product here on the forum. It is something that I will sometimes use a pre-hair wash treatment. However, it most definitely can be used on the ends of ones hair only as well, anytime one desires. The product is very concentrated, and a little bit does go a truly long way. It's definitely worth giving a try for sure!

Ju
December 8th, 2018, 07:37 PM
I stopped oiling on non-wash days some time ago because my hair is so short and it just didn't feel like it needed it - but I just bought some marula oil for my face and saw that its considered pretty good for hair so I might just start oiling maybe once between washes to see if it does me any good!

Jo Ann
December 8th, 2018, 07:56 PM
My hair does NOT like coconut oil on it once it's dry, so I use an argan oil blend when needed. Unlike those that only oil their ends as needed, I oil my from about the ears (or a little above) down, because my hair's mostly bleached. Sometimes I use a little water to moisten my hair, but usually I don't and just let the oil absorb into my hair.

The ROO method (link is in Lapushka's signature) helps lock moisture into my hair, as does the LOC/LCO method (but I've been skipping the "C" part--put another way, not using the cream).

Stray_mind
December 9th, 2018, 12:24 AM
I don't oil my ends between washes.

Simsy
December 9th, 2018, 01:21 AM
Depends on my schedule. If I’m on day trips for the week, I’ll oil every time I detangle at home. If I’m in the truck for the week, I’ll do a heavy oiling before I leave a second oiling the day I get home again. I oil the entirely of my head and length since my scalp like to hit the panic button if I don’t give it what it wants.

cestlavie
December 9th, 2018, 04:52 AM
I wash my hair 2-3 times a week since my hair is fine and I use the LOC method to keep the moisture in and it helps a lot. I only oil my ends in between washes when I want to extra protect my ends when it's up in a bun and I'm going outside when it's very windy. Sometimes oiling the ends in between washes helps to secure my bun better when using a hair stick.

YvetteVarie
December 10th, 2018, 01:59 AM
It depends with how my hair is feeling. But at least every 2 days

Rosy blossom
January 5th, 2019, 09:15 AM
I use argan or grapeseed oil on damp hair after it's been washed, which is usually every 5-7 days. Sometimes I need to apply some more oil to my ends in between my next hair wash but that depends on how my hair is during that week. With hormones changing every week or so my hair routine slightly changes too.

hollygolightly
January 6th, 2019, 03:22 PM
every time I detangle my hair which is two times in a day. I like to use leave in conditioner, detangle with my fingers and a wide tooth comb and then apply argan oil and brush everything out to distribute the oil and make everything smoother. but if my hair isn't that tangled I oil it on third and second hair day. Although I want to stop oiling between washes and using more leaving conditioner since I always find that my hair is too dry in between brushes. In fact, I don't mind my scalp getting too oily (as long as it doesn't itch), I wash my hair every four days because I need to condition my hair.

hollygolightly
January 6th, 2019, 03:28 PM
I wash my hair 2-3 times a week since my hair is fine and I use the LOC method to keep the moisture in and it helps a lot. I only oil my ends in between washes when I want to extra protect my ends when it's up in a bun and I'm going outside when it's very windy. Sometimes oiling the ends in between washes helps to secure my bun better when using a hair stick.

I used to oil my hair a lot in between washes but now that you mentioned it, since I started doing the LOC method my hair doesn't get as dry as it used to and it doesn't need that much oil

ArabellaRose
January 6th, 2019, 04:11 PM
If I remember to I use LCO every day, sometimes I skip if my hair is doing well but I wash every 2-3 days anyway.

DaniGirl
January 6th, 2019, 04:18 PM
Anytime I expose my hair to steam. I find it makes it a little unmanageable and very tangly. So 2-3 drops on the ends after a bath or shower. As long as it’s nowhere near my scalp I find it doesn’t make my hair oily.

Sparkles122
January 6th, 2019, 04:22 PM
Do you put the oil on when the hair is wet or dry? And what oil do you use? Ive only added a drop or 2 of olive oil to my conditioner before and have never really oiled my ends, but perhaps I should be?

Ophidian
January 6th, 2019, 07:09 PM
Every day, with coconut oil. Sometimes I mist with rosewater first if they feel dry. If they really need some TLC I do rosewater and then a little bit of Shea butter.

Kathie
January 6th, 2019, 07:33 PM
Every day, morning and night. I'm always surprised at how much my hair absorbs. My hair is usually up in some sort of bun, so I have the ends tucked away as they soak up the oil. Basically my ends are always oiled. I wash (shampoo) every 3 or 4 days.

Arciela
January 6th, 2019, 10:36 PM
I lightly oil my hair nightly :) Very lightly..haha. I have low porosity hair so if I use too much I'll just have to wash it.

RoseChantel
January 8th, 2019, 12:06 PM
I use a few drops of a blend of herb-infused avocado and argan oils on my hair every night before I braid it for bed. My hair has had a lot less split ends and is a lot healthier since I started doing this. Sometimes I add a few more drops of oil in the morning during the winter, depending on how dry my hair feels.

Milkchocolate
January 8th, 2019, 01:34 PM
I oil after I detangle. My amount depends on my wash days. For example, I add more oil after my first day of washing. Then just add slightly less and less following 2nd, 3rd, or 4th day :)

Stray_mind
January 8th, 2019, 01:36 PM
Actually Never. I do a roo every wash and i wash my hair two or three times a week depending on wether it feels oily or not. I feel that my hair has enough moisture in between washes and my ends are protected by keeping my hair up all the time.

MamaLou
January 8th, 2019, 01:55 PM
Not at all, only after washing. I went back to washing my hair every other day because it is better for my scalp, so my hair gets plenty of oil already.

RottenMango
April 23rd, 2019, 06:21 PM
I seal my ends with serum everyday.

Begemot
April 24th, 2019, 06:26 AM
Once. Often I don't oil them at all between washes. Instead I use leave-in spray and/or cream.

Ylva
April 24th, 2019, 06:30 AM
This varies depending on how my hair feels, but let's say that generally I might oil my ends after a leave-in cream and/or liquid when it's still damp. Then I might apply some more oil at around 48 hours, and pre-poo oil before I wash (at 3 or 4 days).

Hmm, well, this has changed a bit since my routine has changed. I now frequently wash at 48 hours and I might oil my very ends once at some point, and then I'll pre-poo some hours before washing.

mackensey
April 24th, 2019, 11:58 PM
I just use olive oil overnight before every wash. Works for me!