PDA

View Full Version : mama high bun

metafisica
December 7th, 2018, 01:54 AM
Dear ladies, my hair is approaching the tail bone. However, with 5 little kiddos to take care of, I am struggling with hairstyles. Hair sticks are a no no cause they fall out when I lay down with my kids, or toddlers take them out. I love the high bun, because it is so practical, but my hair becomes a tangled mess afterwards. What is your mama go to style? How do you do a messy high bun without ending up tangled? Thank you so much!!! Please post some you tube videos or pictures

Lady Stardust
December 7th, 2018, 02:39 AM
My toddler tends to take sticks out too, although it’s becoming less frequent!

My hair is much shorter than yours (collarbone length) and I tend to wear a peacock twist most of the time, with a hair slide or a claw clip. I can sometimes get away with a bun but that’s much more likely to get investigated.

A claw clip is most practical for me because there’s no risk of my daughter getting poked by a stick if she throws herself into an enthusiastic cuddle. A hair slide or stick is more comfortable so I keep those for days when my scalp hurts or I have a migraine.

I just have to let my hair down if I end up lying down. I suppose that plaits (braids) could work, maybe pinned up, or a tucked French braid?

metafisica
December 7th, 2018, 07:38 AM
My toddler tends to take sticks out too, although it’s becoming less frequent!

My hair is much shorter than yours (collarbone length) and I tend to wear a peacock twist most of the time, with a hair slide or a claw clip. I can sometimes get away with a bun but that’s much more likely to get investigated.

A claw clip is most practical for me because there’s no risk of my daughter getting poked by a stick if she throws herself into an enthusiastic cuddle. A hair slide or stick is more comfortable so I keep those for days when my scalp hurts or I have a migraine.

I just have to let my hair down if I end up lying down. I suppose that plaits (braids) could work, maybe pinned up, or a tucked French braid?

Thank you for replying! Braids do not work for house chores since I bend all the time to clean the toilets, change the diapers and braids just fall into grosness lol Also, the claw clips i would love, but I cannot manage a decent style with them, my hair is too long to manage a nice twist...somehow messy buns look cool and keep all the hair out of the way, are perfect for baby wearing, when baby is on the back, but alas, leave my hair a tangled mess...I am happy you found what works for you!!!

mira-chan
December 7th, 2018, 07:45 AM
Not a mom but I work in a lab where I can't touch my hair at all and it has to be up. The most secure style I've found was a bun help by 3 smaller claw clips. it can be braided or not. It didn't budge at all, distributes weight well and if one claw clip gets taken out for a little bit it still stays in place.

Not the most stylish but if the claw clips are the same color as hair, they aren't too visible. Or if you want to have fun with it, get colorful fun ones.

Lady Stardust
December 7th, 2018, 08:06 AM
Thank you for replying! Braids do not work for house chores since I bend all the time to clean the toilets, change the diapers and braids just fall into grosness lol Also, the claw clips i would love, but I cannot manage a decent style with them, my hair is too long to manage a nice twist...somehow messy buns look cool and keep all the hair out of the way, are perfect for baby wearing, when baby is on the back, but alas, leave my hair a tangled mess...I am happy you found what works for you!!!

I meant something like milk maid braids, but I guess they could be taken down easily! Would your bun be less likely to tangle if you braided it first?

Not a mom but I work in a lab where I can't touch my hair at all and it has to be up. The most secure style I've found was a bun help by 3 smaller claw clips. it can be braided or not. It didn't budge at all, distributes weight well and if one claw clip gets taken out for a little bit it still stays in place.

Not the most stylish but if the claw clips are the same color as hair, they aren't too visible. Or if you want to have fun with it, get colorful fun ones.

I love mini claw clips for buns and they’re great unless the toddler sees them, but even then, as you say, losing one claw clip or even two doesn’t matter much.

lapushka
December 7th, 2018, 08:15 AM
Also getting a fork that is the size of your bun might be great. This way nothing pokes out. I once took over 2 aluminum sticks from eadwine (Quattro), when I was just starting out. They are 4 inches, and they just fit the width of my bun.

You can measure with a pencil in your updo, just measure what sticks out on both sides and subtract that from the total length of it. Then get a fork that size only.

AmaryllisRed
December 7th, 2018, 08:17 AM
My youngest is 2 1/2 so she doesn't care to pull out my sticks. I did have her on my back one time with a stick in my bun and an old man said I almost poked her in the eye. I think if you wear low enough and bun high enough, it shouldn't be a safety issue. But that doesn't help with curious toddler hands.
I find a cinnabun on top of my head held with small claw clips is out of the way and comfy and doesn't interfere with lying down.
Also, I do a lot of braided buns. I French or Dutch braid and then bun the length. Those buns end up on the back of the head rather than the top, but they are easy to take down and put back up. Do you have any forks or flexis? I like to do a French braided nautilus with a flexi and then if I get the odd chance to lie down, I just take it out and re-do it when I get back up.

CopperButterfly
December 7th, 2018, 09:22 AM
I use a flexi to hold my bun on the back of my head. My 18 month old does try to grab it occasionally, but he can't pull it out, and I can usually distract him away from it.

lithostoic
December 7th, 2018, 02:35 PM
After you unsecure the bun but BEFORE you let the hair fall down, add in some leave-in conditioner. Smooth that all through and your hair shouldn't be tangled when you let go of it. Spin pins work really well for securing buns.

Eastbound&Down
December 8th, 2018, 12:55 PM
High cinnabun secured with a hair tie and a big claw clip. I only have 2 littles, youngest is two now and my hair is only 1 inch below BSL. So, YMMV.

dagny
December 8th, 2018, 02:21 PM
I second the choice of a Flexi. When my boys were babies, I wore my hair up with a Flexi Clip. It was quick and easy and held all day long without falling out.

I also like a sock bun because I can sleep in it and then have curls when I choose to wear my hair down. (I never could sleep in a Flexi).

Once the diaper phase is over, things get much easier. I have fond memories of my, then, 4 yr-old sitting on my lap chattering away whilst he played with my hip-length braid -- only to realize the big mistake I made several months later when I cut my hair to my chin and my poor little boy kept grabbing for the braid that was no longer there. :-(