PDA

View Full Version : Hair weight?

WyntreBlossom
December 6th, 2018, 01:38 PM
Something i always knew came with longer hair was the fact hair starts to weigh a bit as it grows longer. I hadn't noticed any weight to mine until recently. Im in the MBL abyss and one night after taking down my bun I felt the weight very gently as my hair swayed back and forth. Right now it is very gentle and manageable but what are some tips for when it gets longer and heavier?

akurah
December 6th, 2018, 01:48 PM
Hair weight is pretty negligible if I understand right. The "weight" change you're feeling is probably the follicles detecting the hair is laying in a different direction.

lapushka
December 6th, 2018, 02:25 PM
Yeah, it's a few 100 grams, hair doesn't weigh a lot; my guess is also the strain of the follicles!

MusicalSpoons
December 6th, 2018, 03:51 PM
I honestly only feel my bun if I've done it wrong, and my hair only feels heavy when it's completely full of water. But my hair also is floaty by nature (in fact it's slightly weighed down by the ROO method, which is pretty much the only way I can get an accurate length shot) so my experience may not count for all that much. I have heard it thud on the bed if it all drops at once though :grin:

The best tip I can think of for making sure it doesn't become a problem is to distribute the weight in a way that's comfortable for you :)

(btw, is that a new avatar pic? Very pretty! :D)

lithostoic
December 6th, 2018, 04:58 PM
Keep your scalp clean to prevent follicle pain and get layers to make buns hold better without making them super tight.

WyntreBlossom
December 6th, 2018, 07:20 PM
Thanks everyone ill keep this in mind :) and yes musical it I! Its my december lenthg shot haha.

Jo Ann
December 6th, 2018, 10:37 PM
This lady has four feet of hair and weighed it wet and dry:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XduqBu1s44Y

TLDR: dry, about 1/2 pound; wet, about one pound

Corvana
December 7th, 2018, 01:00 AM
My hair is on the thick side of average, and my scalp is really sensitive. So far I only notice the weight of my buns when I look down and shake my head slowly side to side (I do this to test tension, as I'm notorious for pulling like six hairs way too tight and not noticing until I turn just right and pull them really hard), and when it's soaking wet.

I assume I'll mostly get used to the weight increase, as it will be quite slow, but I also know that I will likely find a limit due to my predisposition to headaches and migraines.

Joules
December 7th, 2018, 01:57 AM
I feel all the weight of my hair when I'm doing a ponytail. Not so much with buns for some reason. Maybe it's because a ponytail hangs down and when it swishes around it puts more strain on my follicles?

When I'm wearing a bun, I kinda feel the weight too, but not as much and mostly when I take it down.

*Wednesday*
December 7th, 2018, 01:07 PM
My hair is fine and light so for me when it’s down, I don’t feel it. My hair type anyway. The longer your hair becomes the more of it you will have and certain styles may change and/or may not be that manageable due to more weight.

Don’t worry, as it becomes longer and you let down your hair, and it sways…..you won’t wind up with a broken back. :)

Alibran
December 7th, 2018, 02:39 PM
For me, it depends on lots of factors. My longest layers are just BSL (stretched) and I can really feel the weight when it's in a high ponytail. The same with buns, if I position them badly. I remember not being able to wear high ponytails at all when it was TBL one length because the weight pulled so hard on the top of my head. When it's down, I can feel it moving, but it doesn't feel like weight.

Mine has at least its own weight again - and probably more - in product, though, to stop it standing out sideways. If it's not well moisturised, and doesn't have much product in it, I can't feel any weight at all.

illicitlizard
December 8th, 2018, 02:37 AM
Strangely I thought the weight of my hair was what was causing my bad headaches on occasion, and a heavy awful feeling in my neck and head. I think it's likely stress or something else related though since I got the same awful feeling once when I had literally less than an inch of hair all over!!

So I'm inclined to believe that the actual weight of the hair isn't the main issue. More the weight distribution when it's put up?

pailin
December 8th, 2018, 04:32 AM
Strangely I thought the weight of my hair was what was causing my bad headaches on occasion, and a heavy awful feeling in my neck and head. I think it's likely stress or something else related though since I got the same awful feeling once when I had literally less than an inch of hair all over!!

So I'm inclined to believe that the actual weight of the hair isn't the main issue. More the weight distribution when it's put up?

I would agree with this; I think it has more to do with weight distribution, bun position and such. Some people do well with top of head buns but for me it's always less comfortable and feels heavier; other people might feel that way about low buns I suppose.
I do think it takes less for a bun to be uncomfortable if my head hurts already.

Dark40
December 10th, 2018, 12:19 PM
My hair is on the thick side too, and it's WL. When it's down I haven't notice any feeling of the weight at all! The only thing I feel is my ponytail or half-bun when it's up. I think as it gets longer you'll get use to the weight.

Cg
December 10th, 2018, 03:09 PM
I began to experience my hair as excessively heavy (and got headaches from it) somewhere toward knee. That was when my hair was quite thick. No, I don't have a sensitive scalp, and no, just because it was gradual did not make it unnoticed. Perhaps my scrawny neck and pin head played a part in the equation. All I can tell you is that for some people, hair can indeed get too heavy for comfort after a certain point.

I can think of a lot worse fates than having to keep one's hair trimmed.

WyntreBlossom
December 14th, 2018, 10:41 PM
Yea my main worry was my predisposition to chronic migraines. I think you all are right about weight distribution over actual weight though! Thank you!

AutobotsAttack
December 15th, 2018, 12:55 AM
At nearly Classic length, I also have very fine hair. I can’t really feel it wet or dry. So I’d say it does depend on texture as well.