PDA

View Full Version : Frizzy fine wavy hair

Ella grace
December 5th, 2018, 03:22 AM
Hi all.
So my hair is a very frustrating texture.
My hair is slightly wavy, and my hair is super super fine, and I have the worst frizz ever.
Some people say that fine hair gets weighed down easily, but mine, I can put a whole bottles worth of conditioner on my hair and it will still be poofy and frizzy. I also have always had very dry hair.
Just want to know how to fix this annoying issue.
Thanks

Freyja_Fernwood
December 5th, 2018, 03:35 AM
Hi Ella!
What sorts of products have you tried? Do you deep condition? What kind of shampoo, conditioners and other treatments have you tried?
I have fine curly/wavy hair, and buildup for me has ALWAYS been an issue. Have you ever clarified your hair before? Buildup could be blocking your hair from absorbing your conditioning treatments. I've found that it's a surprisingly big deal, and that my hair becomes MUCH softer, less frizzy and more moisturized after I clarify it every 2-3 months.
I use Suave Daily Clarifying shampoo because it's avaliable at most stores- but there's all kinds of other options at salons, ect.

maborosi
December 5th, 2018, 03:56 AM
My hair loves moisture, too, though it's not truly just fine anymore. I use tons of conditioner, so I hear you on that.

What's your routine look like? I've found that during the drier times, my hair just needs more hydration to keep from frizzing everywhere. You may like something like the LOC method, or aloe vera gel as a leave-in. It works well to smooth frizziness and to keep hair hydrated. :)

lapushka
December 5th, 2018, 07:02 AM
Hi all.
My hair is slightly wavy, and my hair is super super fine, and I have the worst frizz ever.
Some people say that fine hair gets weighed down easily, but mine, I can put a whole bottles worth of conditioner on my hair and it will still be poofy and frizzy. I also have always had very dry hair.
Thanks

What's your current routine like?

What do you do, how do you wash (just shampoo & conditioner, or curly girl).

lithostoic
December 5th, 2018, 07:11 AM
I can't recommend any other brands but you might really like the almond milk conditioner from Shea Moisture. My hair id similar to yours and it's my favorite.

spidermom
December 5th, 2018, 07:26 AM
Well, you mentioned conditioner, but what about leave-in styling products like gel, styling lotion/cream, things like that.

Jo Ann
December 5th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Frizzy hair just screams for moisture!

I would use a clarifying shampoo, like Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, to get the build-up off your hair, then use a deep moisturizing treatment (there are many good, cheap ones out there), then use the LCO/LOC method (links are in Lapushka's signature) to help lock in moisture. Experiment with different oils out there, but remember that a little oil can go a long way!

I wouldn't use the clarifying shampoo very often (they can be very drying), but a good moisturizing shampoo and conditioner(s) combo for every day (or however frequently you wash your hair) can be a godsend. I clarify about once every 4-8 weeks, for example, depending on how much build-up I get or when I want to change my hair color (I use semi-permanent hair dye and use clarifying/dandruff shampoos to fade the hair color).

littlestarface
December 5th, 2018, 11:25 AM
Join the club.

Freyja_Fernwood
December 5th, 2018, 11:25 AM
I would use a clarifying shampoo, like Suave Daily Clarifying Shampoo, to get the build-up off your hair, then use a deep moisturizing treatment (there are many good, cheap ones out there), then use the LCO/LOC method (links are in Lapushka's signature) to help lock in moisture. Experiment with different oils out there, but remember that a little oil can go a long way!

Yeah, like Jo Ann said- clarifying + deep conditioner and leave in oils/moisturizers will probably show some instant, awesome results!

PixieNixie
December 5th, 2018, 04:59 PM
Everyone else has given awesome advice and is exactly what I would say. Just here to show solidarity as I have the same hair type. I have gotten it under control (for the most part... when the humidity isnt insane lol....)

Cate36
December 5th, 2018, 05:08 PM
Everyone else has given awesome advice and is exactly what I would say. Just here to show solidarity as I have the same hair type. I have gotten it under control (for the most part... when the humidity isnt insane lol....)

Sounds like my hair.. I used to wash everyday, use Pantene prov V intense smoothing leave in conditioner ( and never brush once dry) which really kept it under control. I'd dry in ringlets also..

Now I have damaged hair, and don't want to wash it so much, I am at a loss also... does anyone have a good natural leave in conditioner that can be spritzed on hair between washes that performs miracles for frizz?

SallySue
December 6th, 2018, 07:43 AM
Sounds like my hair.. I used to wash everyday, use Pantene prov V intense smoothing leave in conditioner ( and does anyone have a good natural leave in conditioner that can be spritzed on hair between washes that performs miracles for frizz?

Miracle, no. But I noticed that my fine frizz responds better to light products with hold (mousses and gels) than heavy creams. Also, leave-ins with silicone have never made my hair look good, they just weigh down and loosen the curl pattern but don't actually reduce frizz.

lemonlollies
December 6th, 2018, 03:37 PM
I have very fine, frizzy hair with a wave to it, and it’s a nightmare to handle at times but recently I tried the SMT method on this forum and that’s definitely helped, along with clarifying every few weeks and co-washing the rest of the time.

Freyja_Fernwood
December 7th, 2018, 01:25 PM
Now I have damaged hair, and don't want to wash it so much, I am at a loss also... does anyone have a good natural leave in conditioner that can be spritzed on hair between washes that performs miracles for frizz?

Hi Cate,
I use a product from the Dollar Tree called Shea Solutions Leave-In conditioner -Probably not the most natural product, but it's the only really light silicone/build up free leave in I've ever found. There's no parabens, and you could mix it with some water and spray it into your hair if you prefers sprays to creamier products. A little goes a long way, for me, and it's worked wonders on my frizz. But it's no miracle, my hair is always finicky, and there are good days or bad days depending on humidity. And what works for me may not be the best thing for your hair.

As for all natural... that's a bit tougher. You could take a natural conditioner and mix that with water and try it on your hair and see if it helps. If you're not already, you could also try oiling your hair with something like coconut or olive oil, which not only hold in moisture, but will penetrate your hair and moisturize it somewhat. I have tried natural brands of leave in conditioner, but I usually find that they are too waxy for my hair- but again, what didn't work for me may be awesome for you! So don't be afraid to try something different.

elfynity
December 8th, 2018, 12:33 PM
I have fine hair and it was generally frizzy until I discovered that my hair was not wavy, but wurly (quite curly - lots of ringlets), and when you brush naturally curly hair when it is dry, even if you don't know the curls are there, it becomes a big frizz. Maybe you should do the hair typing test and see what your results are to get that out the way.

I now condition my hair thoroughly while bathing and while my hair is sopping wet, and then carefully comb it straight and get all the knots out. Then, when it is about halfway drying, i very carefully comb my hair to try to straighten it and remove frizz, and it works. The result is wavy hair, ringlets at the end and minimal frizz.

I also trimmed off about 3 to 4 inches of damage recently which removed most of the frizzed hair ends.

Crystawni
December 9th, 2018, 08:01 PM
Hi all.
Thanks

I'm just wondering if your hair is all virgin or not? And how is its porosity?

I have loads of very fine, virgin, low porous, wurly hair and for me, less is more. Once my hair has dried after washing (my HG conditioner is Tresemme Botanique Restore and Shine), it settles into sleekville as long as I don't manipulate it much, if at all, while it dries. Then I carefully run a wooden, wide-toothed comb through it from bottom to top to detangle, which also settles and smooths the extra frizz.

Sounds like my hair.. I used to wash everyday, use Pantene prov V intense smoothing leave in conditioner ( and never brush once dry) which really kept it under control. I'd dry in ringlets also..

When my hair is damp after washing, I often add a dab of Fruit of the Earth Aloe Vera gel to the ends (with excess going down the length). It's the most pure (no drying alcohols that you'll find in after-sun products) and colour free gel out there, and I find it's the only aloe (apart from gel from the leaf of an aloe plant) that works for me. It keeps my hair super soft and frizz-free once dry, and can be added to (slightly) damp hair between washes if you need it (especially if your hair is damaged like you've mentioned). As a leave-in (which I don't need to use often at all), I dab hair mask from a cheap tub bought at the Reject shop or similar; Moroccan Macadamia Oil Extract hair mask (or the Argan Oil version).

pailin
December 10th, 2018, 07:57 AM
I'm convinced most recommendations out there for fine hair are really for fine, thin, fairly straight hair. And they don't work for me at all (fine, not thin, very wavy).
I find that using enough moisture - for me that means heavy enough conditioners- does a lot to mitigate frizz. Also baby oil (mineral oil) as a rinse out oil is a great frizz and static killer, and it's also cheap.

lapushka
December 10th, 2018, 09:28 AM
I have F hair, but lots of it, and it (unfortunately) doesn't weigh itself down, it floofs up! Darn it. LOL! And it's dry in the lengths (oily/normal scalp). So I double condition after washing (moisture moisture moisture), and do an oil rinse in between my conditioners. Then I use the LOC/LCO method to style. It works perfectly for me. But it takes a lot to weigh my hair down! My signature picture was taken one day after washing, and you can see it lays down pretty well.

GrowlingCupcake
December 10th, 2018, 02:48 PM
I don't have fine hair but I have frizzy, wavy hair. There's a lot of great advice here! I'd like to suggest Biosilk Silk Therapy. It's been great for my frizz, smells pretty nice, and leaves my hair soft with more defined waves rather than poofiness.