PDA

View Full Version : How much shedding is normal?

Cate36
December 4th, 2018, 07:04 PM
How many hairs should come out each day, and what length should they be?

I have v long hair that I've recently damaged. Before the damage, I would always shed a lot of hair.. my hairbrush was full of hair.. probably made worst because my hair is so long, so more hair for each bit of shedding. However, since the damage I watch every hair and go into a flat panic when individual hairs come out.

Most of the hairs now are elastic and healthy, some however, are short, and some, I pick up in my hands and they snap easily.

I guess to stop the panic, or at least recognise if there is an issue, I am wondering how many hairs should fall on average, each day? Google says 60-100...

What do you guys think?

It almost seems to me that every time I touch my hair hairs come out... not masses.. I've just been out for a drive and around 5 - 8 hairs fell noticeably onto my lap over the course of an hour or so.. I did tousle my hair quite a bit.. so It's not like I was sat there not touching it which may have an effect.. ..

illicitlizard
December 4th, 2018, 07:48 PM
I have no idea numerically, never counted a day's worth of shedding. But some hair coming out whenever I touch my hair has always been normal for me. Afaik, it varies person to person as to what is normal. But if your hair isn't noticeably thinning, it's probably fine?

Cate36
December 4th, 2018, 11:51 PM
I have no idea numerically, never counted a day's worth of shedding. But some hair coming out whenever I touch my hair has always been normal for me. Afaik, it varies person to person as to what is normal. But if your hair isn't noticeably thinning, it's probably fine?

Well it went very thin after I damaged it.. not on the scalp so much, but the length.. but having said that, I have noticed over the last couple of years it's a lot thinner than it was in my 30s.

I've never really explored diet and hair.. could being a vegetarian affect hair negatively?

akurah
December 5th, 2018, 02:00 AM
You probably shed between 60 and 150 a day.

My sheds, given the length of my hair and how little I actually manipulate it (except when I'm attempt to remove the sheds) would probably give a newbie a heart attack. Because I still shed the normal amount, when I do get around to fussing with my hair, significantly more than the daily average comes out because it hadn't been removed previously. So if I go three or to five days with little to no manipulation, when I get to it, probably up to 400-500 hairs come out, and they're typically three feet or more long.

Unless your hair is noticably thinning at the scalp, ignore the sheds. It causes a lot of unnecessary panic in new long hairs.

Freyja_Fernwood
December 5th, 2018, 02:04 AM
From what I've learned, the amount of hairs you lose factor into what your terminal length is.
I suggest you count how many you're losing in a day and put the numbers into this calculator:
http://www.allvidzhaze.com/phptest/hairgrowth.html

I also think that as your hair gets longer it starts to seem like you're losing more hair, but you're actually not! It's an illusion because the longer stands look like you're losing more stands, but it's actually the same amount you've always been losing.

ArabellaRose
December 5th, 2018, 02:22 AM
It's also worth taking into account the time of year. I've always had a problem with winter shed, I remember at school my navy blue synthetic knit jumper would get plastered with my strawberry blonde hair during the winter, much to my embarrassment.

The winter shed has seemed to hit me particularly hard this year and I've noticed my hair has got a little thinner :(

lapushka
December 5th, 2018, 07:07 AM
Yes up to 100/150 is probably fine. Why don't you wear your hair in an updo? This way you can't "mess" with it, and it stays put. No form of manipulation whatsoever, which damaged hair can use!

MusicalSpoons
December 5th, 2018, 09:07 AM
Internet gremlins, double post, sorry.

MusicalSpoons
December 5th, 2018, 09:10 AM
Every time I touch my hair, some comes out. 5~8 over an hour is nothing, for me - I just have to run my hand through once and I'll lose that many ;) unless you're notice thinking at the scalp, I wouldn't worry.

Lapushka makes a good point, and I will always advocate wearing hair up because it's more protective. However, if you appear to shed more than usual when you take it down and brush, also don't worry - the 'extra' will probably have been hairs you would have shed the rest of the time (if it were down) without even necessarily noticing :)

You posted in your other thread about having a not-great diet, and yes that can affect your hair. If things have been stable for a long while and your body's adapted to its situation, the effects of poor diet will probably translate to slower hair growth and less healthy hair when it does grow. Once you've sorted nutrition out, your body will use what it needs to repair and function properly, then any nutrients left over can be used towards hair growth, so it does take time. But it seems everything is kind of coming together now for you to start feeling better inside and out :flower:

lapushka
December 5th, 2018, 10:15 AM
You posted in your other thread about having a not-great diet, and yes that can affect your hair. If things have been stable for a long while and your body's adapted to its situation, the effects of poor diet will probably translate to slower hair growth and less healthy hair when it does grow. Once you've sorted nutrition out, your body will use what it needs to repair and function properly, then any nutrients left over can be used towards hair growth, so it does take time. But it seems everything is kind of coming together now for you to start feeling better inside and out :flower:

Yes, I would also recommend getting that set straight, go to a dietician if you must! Not a bad idea actually for learning how to do it properly and esp. if you lack so many nutrients, Cate. I mean, no wonder you're shedding more if you are deficient in esp. iron!!!

lushfanatic
December 5th, 2018, 10:35 AM
Just wanted to add that shedding is definitely normal especially if you just gently brush your hair through and the shed hair seems to fall right off your scalp. I would only say it would be concerning if clumps came out or if you're shedding 200+ daily.

I also agree with wearing your hair in an updo. Not only do they keep your hair out of sight and therefore out of mind so that you can't mess around with it, but they also mean your hair stays tangle-free for longer, which means less opportunities for breakage. My hair used to be free-flowing for most of the day and I used to sleep with my hair out, so I would shed a lot more and experience more breakage from tangles. I've been wearing my hair in a braid all day and all night for the last couple of weeks though and have noticed a dramatic decrease in shedding and breakage. Just the other day I combed my hair and less than 20 strands of hair were shed, and I even ran my fingers through my hair a few times trying to coax out any loose hairs, but nothing. Only 2 hairs came out while washing, too. Some days no hair will be shed from combing and instead 10-20 shed while washing. It's a welcome change!

EdG
December 5th, 2018, 11:12 AM
In round numbers, you have 100,000 hairs on your head. Shedding 100 a day means that the duration of a hair's growth cycle is 1,000 days. At 0.5 inch per month growth rate, the terminal length will be 1.5 feet.

Shedding 50 a day would give a terminal length of 3 feet.
Ed

GrowlingCupcake
December 5th, 2018, 01:47 PM
In round numbers, you have 100,000 hairs on your head. Shedding 100 a day means that the duration of a hair's growth cycle is 1,000 days. At 0.5 inch per month growth rate, the terminal length will be 1.5 feet.

Shedding 50 a day would give a terminal length of 3 feet.
Ed

So if we have hair that is longer than 18 inches, would we assume that we shed less?

Given the longest my hair has been is 38 inches measured by LHC methods, that's ~32 inches, right? So would I have to be shedding less than 100 a day since it is past 18 inches? My growth seems to be about 0.43 per month, though I could be wrong.

From what I've learned, the amount of hairs you lose factor into what your terminal length is.
I suggest you count how many you're losing in a day and put the numbers into this calculator:
http://www.allvidzhaze.com/phptest/hairgrowth.html

I also think that as your hair gets longer it starts to seem like you're losing more hair, but you're actually not! It's an illusion because the longer stands look like you're losing more stands, but it's actually the same amount you've always been losing.

I'd have to be shedding less than 50 strands a day for the calculator to work for me or massively underestimating my monthly growth.

MusicalSpoons
December 5th, 2018, 02:26 PM
I'd have to be shedding less than 50 strands a day for the calculator to work for me or massively underestimating my monthly growth.

Same here, and although I don't count my shed hairs I'm fairly sure I don't shed many fewer than 50. Also, how are we to estimate the number of hairs on the head? It has averages for different hair colours, but that doesn't account for thickness. Someone with iii hair but babyfine would have perhaps double the number of hairs a C/ii person would have.

(Shedding 25 hairs a day gives me growth potential of >78 inches according to the calculator ... judging how thin my ends are at ~actual 45" [53" measured LHC-style], I somehow doubt that :rollin: )

EdG
December 5th, 2018, 02:46 PM
So if we have hair that is longer than 18 inches, would we assume that we shed less?

Given the longest my hair has been is 38 inches measured by LHC methods, that's ~32 inches, right? So would I have to be shedding less than 100 a day since it is past 18 inches? My growth seems to be about 0.43 per month, though I could be wrong.

I'd have to be shedding less than 50 strands a day for the calculator to work for me or massively underestimating my monthly growth.In general, people with longer terminal lengths shed fewer hairs per day.

The LHC method of measuring length is wildly inaccurate. One needs to measure the length of the shed strands.
Ed

Cate36
December 5th, 2018, 03:11 PM
In general, people with longer terminal lengths shed fewer hairs per day.

The LHC method of measuring length is wildly inaccurate. One needs to measure the length of the shed strands.
Ed

Not all the hairs I am shedding are long.. some are shorter.. not super short.. but.. maybe 5 inches.. my long length is down to my waste.. Should that be concerning? I test the hairs that come out.. most are strong.. but some still break easily..

MusicalSpoons
December 5th, 2018, 03:21 PM
Not all the hairs I am shedding are long.. some are shorter.. not super short.. but.. maybe 5 inches.. my long length is down to my waste.. Should that be concerning? I test the hairs that come out.. most are strong.. but some still break easily..

No, some hairs just have shorter terminal lengths, especially ones nearer the hairline. Also if you've ever had layers or face framing cut in. I get some hairs shed at literally just a couple of inches, while the rest off my hair is much longer than those ones! ;)

lapushka
December 5th, 2018, 03:38 PM

It could, I say "could" be some breakage from the bleach. Do you have white dots up the strand in your hair? Because that is usually a sign of pending breakage.

Cate36
December 5th, 2018, 04:24 PM
It could, I say "could" be some breakage from the bleach. Do you have white dots up the strand in your hair? Because that is usually a sign of pending breakage.

Well I didn't bleach.. I used Scott Cornwell hair colour remover over and over and over.. and also tried another brand that claimed no bleach.. I can't see any white dots... but my hair is SO fine.. it's almost impossible to see a strand unless I have some background colour to it.. sob..

Cate36
December 5th, 2018, 04:25 PM
No, some hairs just have shorter terminal lengths, especially ones nearer the hairline. Also if you've ever had layers or face framing cut in. I get some hairs shed at literally just a couple of inches, while the rest off my hair is much longer than those ones! ;)

OK that helps! Thank you!

lapushka
December 5th, 2018, 04:31 PM
Well I didn't bleach.. I used Scott Cornwell hair colour remover over and over and over.. and also tried another brand that claimed no bleach.. I can't see any white dots... but my hair is SO fine.. it's almost impossible to see a strand unless I have some background colour to it.. sob..

I get you on the F hair. :)

Oh, I thought you used bleach because you said your hair was so damaged. Normally color removers would not do all of that to your hair, which might be the reason it still looks so nice!

Cate36
December 5th, 2018, 04:40 PM
I get you on the F hair. :)

Oh, I thought you used bleach because you said your hair was so damaged. Normally color removers would not do all of that to your hair, which might be the reason it still looks so nice!

I really overdosed on them.. when I was so frantic to remove the henna, and in a panic every-time I caught sight of myself in a mirror.. I would wash 5/6 times a day with clarifying shampoos.. and then mix the hair colour removers,.. put them on my hair.. wash wash wash...

I really didn't realise how much damage had been done.. even when my hair got super straw like dry.. until I suddenly realised that my pony tail of hair, was SO SO much thinner than a few weeks ago..

The stupid thing is, that everyone... everyone.. always said how great my hair looked... it was an internal thing.. I so dearly dearly wish I had never died my hair in the first place.. but I guess now my diet is better, and I'm on this forum.. in a few years time, maybe I'll be glad of the lesson!

Cate36
December 5th, 2018, 04:42 PM
I really overdosed on them.. when I was so frantic to remove the henna, and in a panic every-time I caught sight of myself in a mirror.. I would wash 5/6 times a day with clarifying shampoos.. and then mix the hair colour removers,.. put them on my hair.. wash wash wash...

I really didn't realise how much damage had been done.. even when my hair got super straw like dry.. until I suddenly realised that my pony tail of hair, was SO SO much thinner than a few weeks ago..

The stupid thing is, that everyone... everyone.. always said how great my hair looked... it was an internal thing.. I so dearly dearly wish I had never died my hair in the first place.. but I guess now my diet is better, and I'm on this forum.. in a few years time, maybe I'll be glad of the lesson!

(i.e. to clarify.. they said it was great when I had henna.. I really should have just left it.. ) Hardest lesson i've ever had to learn..

PixieNixie
December 5th, 2018, 04:46 PM
The color removers really dry out the hair. They also lift the cuticle to help get the hair dye out. Both of those combined can cause over drying and breakage of the hair .
If you saw how much hair I lose, you would think I would be bald. It looks like more than it actually is because my hair is longish (not by LHC standards though lol) and it is brightly colored so they stand out. I am sure it is within normal levels though. Keep that in mind as well. You might be having normal shedding, but it looks like a lot because of your hair being long and you are paying more attention to your hair. The only thing that concerns me is you say like 5 inch pieces.. That almost sounds like breakage. If it isnt breakage, you should be able to see the white bulb root on the end. If you dont see that, I would be worried it is still breakage.

MusicalSpoons
December 5th, 2018, 05:32 PM
OK that helps! Thank you!

Reading the responses since my post I realised I responded to your message but not in context. It is normal to have shorter hairs shed, but yes there is also the possibility some could be breakage. (I have some breakage too, I think from sun damaged areas - but I do have hairs with short terminal lengths that shed as well.)

Natalia_A00
December 5th, 2018, 06:06 PM
Normal is 80-100... Seems like a lot but it's okay!
And you probably shed less than you think, having long hair gives that false impression (if I shed five hairs together it looks like a whole chunk lol)

TarsusIV
December 5th, 2018, 06:33 PM
I panicked whenever I looked at my brush, but it seems like my numbers are pretty normal. Phew!

Dark40
December 5th, 2018, 08:10 PM
Some say 50/100 per day is normal.

Cate36
December 6th, 2018, 12:41 AM
I panicked whenever I looked at my brush, but it seems like my numbers are pretty normal. Phew!

Seriously before this incident.. I would shed SO SO much hair my hairbrush was always full.. I'm just paranoid now. So I have worked out that some is breakage.. and it's really stressing me out. I did a test on some of the driest sun bleached sections of my hair, pulled a couple of strands, and they broke in my hands with not much pressure.

How can I stop it?

I then washed with olaplex.. I used number 3 for 20 mins, then 4 and 5.. that has made my hair so soft and improved.. I've never used it before..

I feel like I have tried everything to stop breakage..

Oils, keratin treatments.. conditioners..

illicitlizard
December 6th, 2018, 01:02 AM
Well it went very thin after I damaged it.. not on the scalp so much, but the length.. but having said that, I have noticed over the last couple of years it's a lot thinner than it was in my 30s.

I've never really explored diet and hair.. could being a vegetarian affect hair negatively?

It could if you're not eating a balanced diet with all the nutrients you need, especially iron deficiency if you're veggo can have an effect on your hair. My mum's hair actually thinned a fair bit in her 40s, just age related hair loss so that may also contribute.

If the thinning is mostly through the length it's probably just breakage from the damage. If hairs are snapping off because they're structurally compromised it could lead to the appearance of lots of shedding, just a thought.

Cate36
December 6th, 2018, 01:11 AM
It could if you're not eating a balanced diet with all the nutrients you need, especially iron deficiency if you're veggo can have an effect on your hair. My mum's hair actually thinned a fair bit in her 40s, just age related hair loss so that may also contribute.

If the thinning is mostly through the length it's probably just breakage from the damage. If hairs are snapping off because they're structurally compromised it could lead to the appearance of lots of shedding, just a thought.

Thanks.. I'm on a host of vitamin tablets now.. so hopefully that will assist, and I've changed my diet quite a bit to include a lot more protein.. Sigh..I guess the other-side of all this will be an improvement once the damage starts to grow out.. in a few years.. :-/

lapushka
December 6th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Thanks.. I'm on a host of vitamin tablets now.. so hopefully that will assist, and I've changed my diet quite a bit to include a lot more protein.. Sigh..I guess the other-side of all this will be an improvement once the damage starts to grow out.. in a few years.. :-/

That is *only* going to affect your new growth, though, not what's already on your head, so keep going to the doctor and keep keeping an eye on the deficiencies. Low iron is especially notorious for hair loss and thinning.

Your shedding now is the least of your worries if your diet is lacking! :flower: