PDA

View Full Version : Feed-in braids, extensions, and removal?

cjk
December 4th, 2018, 07:01 PM
Okay I've YouTubed how to do feed-in braiding. And I'm almost convinced that I should try it. My first attempt is going to be...interesting.

But since I don't want to damage my hair, how does one remove the extensions from the natural hair without causing damage?

Best to do my homework first. I love the look but want to be sure that I don't damage anything in the process.

blackgothicdoll
December 4th, 2018, 08:27 PM
Simply unbraid the extensions from your regular hair, just as if you were unbraiding your hair, if that makes any sense at all. Some people cut the ends off if they are significantly longer than the hair, as with most types of braid hair it's very difficult to unravel the ends. Obviously, make sure you don't cut your real hair when you braid them in.

I would suggest making sure your hair is well-moisturized and coated before adding in hair, depending on what type you use. If you use braiding hair, it's very rough, so you want your hair to have a buffer, like an oil or a pomade, to stop the braiding hair from being too scratchy. Otherwise, try to find a hair that's similar to your own hair texture and you shouldn't have any problems.

I hope that helps a little.

AutobotsAttack
December 4th, 2018, 11:35 PM
• Dont braid too tight
•moisturize your hair as well as the braided hair (light mist from a spray bottle should help)
• Keep them in for short periods of time
•Keep your scalp as comfortable as possible
• smaller braids=more manipulation, bigger braids=less manipulation
• if you buy synthetic hair boil it for a bit to get the manufactured coating off
• opt for human hair (see above statement)
•As mentioned above just start unraveling the end of the braid and
gently separate the braid as well as your own hair.

heres a link:

https://youtu.be/atoSMCdCH04

YvetteVarie
December 6th, 2018, 07:18 AM
Take your time when unravelling the braid, being impatient and tearing through knots will cause mechanical damage. And once you take them out, gently, and patiently detangle your hair as it may have knots (heavy use of conditioner or oil may be needed). For synthetic hair, you can boil as AutobotsAttack mentioned, or soak in ACV to get the coating off (most people are allergic to that coating). Oh, and as Blackgothicdoll mentioned, when cutting the added hair, its best to cut way below where you think your actual hair ends so you do not cut your hair.

Hope this helps

cjk
December 8th, 2018, 07:53 AM
I got some synthetic hair and started to work. Imagined glorious red pigtail braids cascading down my back.

Yeah, it didn't go well.

This is going to take practice. And my beard competition is today, which means it's not going to happen. Darn.

Will keep working, though, and master this skill. By next year I'll be an expert!

blackgothicdoll
December 8th, 2018, 07:03 PM
I got some synthetic hair and started to work. Imagined glorious red pigtail braids cascading down my back.

Yeah, it didn't go well.

This is going to take practice. And my beard competition is today, which means it's not going to happen. Darn.

Will keep working, though, and master this skill. By next year I'll be an expert!

It is pretty tough - I tried it myself and gave up pretty quickly. Those youtubers make it look so easy! It's sorcery lol. Come back and show us when you become a master!

desisparkles
May 15th, 2019, 01:01 PM
Thank you Ladies for these tips as I'm jumping into this world too.

Cjk, any update on how it's been working for you?

cjk
May 16th, 2019, 05:08 PM
I never successfully managed it, and then I got busy in other pursuits. Nothing has happened.

Got a style I'd like to do, though, so thanks for the reminder. I may need to take it up, again, and figure it out.