PDA

View Full Version : Is there ANY Hope for thicker hair after 40? (Ok, pushing 50...)

SheWhoCariesSun
December 3rd, 2018, 04:39 PM
Yes Im getting older. My hair seemed to get thinner and thinner (less of it, not necessarily smaller individual strand circumference) with each of my two children and now what is left is so much thinner than it used to be. Is it ALL AGE, or can a lot of this be diet and being over-caffienated? :rolleyes:

lapushka
December 3rd, 2018, 05:03 PM
I think maybe it's hormones rather than age. My mom lost a lot of hair after she had me, and it stayed gone. Then when she went through menopause another chunk went missing; now she's got i hair, when she used to be ii (middle/average).

browneyedsusan
December 3rd, 2018, 06:01 PM
It could be genetic or it could be something else. You could have had a shed? You could be going through hormonal changes? You're only at 16", so just give it a minute. :) It might come around. :)

cjk
December 3rd, 2018, 08:56 PM
As s man I'm not shocked by my thinning on top.

But since going keto, my thinning has actually reduced and my thickness is improving. Still got a thin spot on top but diet definitely affected it.

That implies hormones, body chemistry, nutrition, or something. Haven't cared enough to get it checked out...it's improving which is not particularly worrisome.

While age and hormonal changes make sense, if your hair condition is deteriorating even slightly it might be worth looking into.

Cate36
December 3rd, 2018, 09:08 PM
Yes Im getting older. My hair seemed to get thinner and thinner (less of it, not necessarily smaller individual strand circumference) with each of my two children and now what is left is so much thinner than it used to be. Is it ALL AGE, or can a lot of this be diet and being over-caffienated? :rolleyes:

I am no expert, but I am trying laser therapy for thinner hair.. I've only just started (week one, daily.. ) but I am told it restores hair to it's previous thickness... it's not cheap.. but if you are really worried you could look into it. When I've been doing it for 7 weeks (the minimum time to really see visable results) I'll come back and update.. I have heard women say that it eliminated grey hair also..

maborosi
December 3rd, 2018, 09:24 PM
My parents are both in their 60ís and both still have tons of hair. Probably genetic, yeah, but I donít think itís impossible for someone to have full hair past a certain age. Iím sure some thinning is inevitable, BUT! That being said...

Hormonal fluctuations can definitely mess with hair- my momís hairtype completely changed after she had my brother, and sheís in the 2ís now. So that is absolutely a thing that can happen.

Are you taking any vitamin supplements? Have you gotten your vitamin/mineral levels checked? Same with hormones. The other big one is thyroid. Any autoimmune conditions that youíre aware of?

Caffeine- well, topicall caffeine may actually slow down hairloss, and some say even increases growth rate! Using a topical caffeine product, or doing a caffeine rinse- those are two options to get some topical caffeine goodness onto your scalp :)

A lof of people here do various things for their hair to help with hairloss-some do the inversion method, scalp massages, dermarolling, exfoliating the scalp, etc.

You may be losing hair just because youíre getting older, but thereís always the possibility that you may have something else going on thatís not letting you grow to your full potential.

Crystawni
December 3rd, 2018, 09:25 PM
Everyone's individual, so I couldn't say in your case, SheWhoCariesSun. I was your age when I joined the forum in '14, and since then have gone through some decent sheds, hormonal changes (IUD in and out, peri-menopause, other uterine issues), diet changes, a heap of stress--constant moves, loss of a parent, family drama and even an operation, and my hair quantity has actually INCREASED (going from 3.5" ponytail to 4.3" or thereabouts). I think LHC has been my hair's angel, tbh. With everything getting thrown at it, I've kept it up and away, enjoyed collecting hairtoys, have washed and fussed over it less (than I did pre-LHC), and let it do its thing. If you're worried about thinning, I'd suggest you document your findings (take measurements for comparisons) and head to the doctor to see if there's any underlying issue so you're not stressing yourself needlessly.

Alibran
December 4th, 2018, 03:26 AM
But since going keto, my thinning has actually reduced and my thickness is improving. Still got a thin spot on top but diet definitely affected it.

The logical theory behind this would be that hair is composed (mainly) of protein, but it's a non-essential as far as the body's concerned, so it will only be allocated protein that isn't needed elsewhere. My guess - and it is a guess - is that the increase in protein intake may be responsible.

You could try a daily protein shake for a few months, OP, and see if it makes a difference.

spidermom
December 4th, 2018, 07:34 AM
Do what you can to maximize your overall health and see how your hair does.

cjk
December 4th, 2018, 08:09 AM
The logical theory behind this would be that hair is composed (mainly) of protein, but it's a non-essential as far as the body's concerned, so it will only be allocated protein that isn't needed elsewhere. My guess - and it is a guess - is that the increase in protein intake may be responsible.

You could try a daily protein shake for a few months, OP, and see if it makes a difference.

And fats and hormonal balances associated with weight/fat loss and generally improved health.

Keto is more than just protein. The fats are a big deal, too. Heck, just google the term "keto baby" to see how many infertile young ladies actually aren't.

It was just a thought. Each of us needs to find what works for us, individually. But there are no negatives associated with improving ones general health.

Alibran
December 4th, 2018, 10:23 AM
cjk, I don't want to get into a discussion about keto. I know what it is. All diets have pros and cons, depending on the specific needs of the individual.

However, hair is composed mostly of protein, and keto does result in an increased protein intake. The body will only allocate protein to 'making stuff' if it has protein to spare, so the logic that an increase in protein may help reverse hair loss is sound regardless of whether or not keto would be suitable for the OP. (And without knowing about their lifestyle and current health, I wouldn't presume to give nutrition advice.)

Arciela
December 4th, 2018, 12:43 PM
I think everyone is different when it comes to hair shedding and such. Maybe visit a doctor and get things checked out, make sure everything is ok :)

My mom is in her 60's and has a ton of hair still, even though she says its "thinner then it was" and she is pretty healthy so I dunno if its age..maybe hormones. When I was extremely stressed due to a surgery I was getting I lost a *ton* of hair, then a year later it came back and then some. There is so many things it could be and its hard to say.

cjk
December 4th, 2018, 02:19 PM
cjk, I don't want to get into a discussion about keto. I know what it is. All diets have pros and cons, depending on the specific needs of the individual.
(And without knowing about their lifestyle and current health, I wouldn't presume to give nutrition advice.)

Which is precisely why I didn't give any advice. I said that since switching to keto MINE has improved. And inferred that the hormonal changes common to weight loss and a keto diet were beneficial to me, in this case, as well as the general improvement in health.

That's not advice. That's a personal anecdote.

Wendyclaire
December 4th, 2018, 03:11 PM
Iím in my 60ís and I take collagen and hair vitamins as well as a multivitamin and it really makes a difference with my hair.

*Wednesday*
December 4th, 2018, 06:17 PM
My hair improved in my 40's (I just turned 48 ). I ruined it in my 20's (coloring, curling iron) and could care less about it in my 30's. So I'm not sure if it would have looked better than if left alone compared to now.
Needless to to say it's at its best now then ever before. I do the best for it.

SheWhoCariesSun
December 4th, 2018, 06:29 PM
Hmmmm. Ive considered looking into Keto for other reasons. Might have to experiment. How long have you been eating this way before you noticed a change?

SheWhoCariesSun
December 4th, 2018, 06:34 PM
Thanks to all who replied. It all sounds like areas to look into. My latest labs show I am not really yet pre-menopausal even though Im 47... Thyroid looks good. My iron is on the low end. I also take Lisinopril, and I've heard it can cause hair loss over time. Ive been taking it since the birth of my last child and coincidentally, when most of my thickness vanished - 11 years ago.

GrowlingCupcake
December 4th, 2018, 07:18 PM
Thanks to all who replied. It all sounds like areas to look into. My latest labs show I am not really yet pre-menopausal even though Im 47... Thyroid looks good. My iron is on the low end. I also take Lisinopril, and I've heard it can cause hair loss over time. Ive been taking it since the birth of my last child and coincidentally, when most of my thickness vanished - 11 years ago.

I didn't know lisinopril could cause hair loss; I've been taking it for a bit now, and I don't think it has caused any hair loss, but it is definitely useful to know. It makes me wonder how many of my medications have hair loss as a potential side effect.

SheWhoCariesSun
December 4th, 2018, 07:24 PM
Probably more than we want to admit, especially if they affect circulation, perhaps?

GrowlingCupcake
December 4th, 2018, 07:31 PM
Probably more than we want to admit, especially if they affect circulation, perhaps?

Probably; it would certainly make sense!

Unfortunately, I'm on at least two medications that affect blood pressure. I might have to look into scalp massage or some other method of increasing blood flow just to my scalp.

lapushka
December 6th, 2018, 04:31 PM
I didn't know lisinopril could cause hair loss; I've been taking it for a bit now, and I don't think it has caused any hair loss, but it is definitely useful to know. It makes me wonder how many of my medications have hair loss as a potential side effect.

Some of mine do too, and I haven't noticed a thing so far. Just because a side-effect is listed doesn't mean everyone is bothered by it. They just "have to" list all of it.

Good to keep an eye on it, though, even though I wouldn't panic.

MusicalSpoons
December 6th, 2018, 04:55 PM
Some of mine do too, and I haven't noticed a thing so far. Just because a side-effect is listed doesn't mean everyone is bothered by it. They just "have to" list all of it.

Good to keep an eye on it, though, even though I wouldn't panic.

As far as I know, side effect lists are compiled when the medications are being trialled; literally anything any of the subjects experience during the time they are taking the medication has to be documented (including death, which is why some lists of side effects are so scary!). I don't know about elsewhere but here the lists are split into common, uncommon and rare.

You can also Google it to see if there are many others experiencing certain issues whilst on the medication, but of course not everyone can be certain it is caused by the medication itself; it could be an interaction with other meds they're taking, or other issues going undetected :shrug:

lapushka
December 6th, 2018, 05:09 PM
As far as I know, side effect lists are compiled when the medications are being trialled; literally anything any of the subjects experience during the time they are taking the medication has to be documented (including death, which is why some lists of side effects are so scary!). I don't know about elsewhere but here the lists are split into common, uncommon and rare.

You can also Google it to see if there are many others experiencing certain issues whilst on the medication, but of course not everyone can be certain it is caused by the medication itself; it could be an interaction with other meds they're taking, or other issues going undetected :shrug:

Same here! That is why some medications come with hefty documentation. OMG the package inserts in the boxes. But thank God they do that, because should you experience something minor, at least you can go look it up quickly.

SheWhoCariesSun
December 6th, 2018, 09:19 PM
I’ll see what I can find on lisinopril and hair loss and share.

proo
December 7th, 2018, 02:31 PM
60 here with much thicker hair than ever before-
My theories:
Mostly NW/SO methods of care
Using fermented rice water rinses
Regular microdusting
Silky hair accessories
Clean diet

Btw I did menopause 10 years ago

aethyra
December 12th, 2018, 01:31 PM
60 here with much thicker hair than ever before-
My theories:
Mostly NW/SO methods of care
Using fermented rice water rinses
Regular microdusting
Silky hair accessories
Clean diet

Btw I did menopause 10 years ago

Rock on! It is utter bs when people imply that you cant have thick hair after 40 (which i just read on this site in a hair loss thread). My grandma passed at 86 with a full head of short bleached for 50 years then colored blonde wringlets. She took no hormone replacement therapy either. My mom is 72 with a full head too. I only see about 1 in 100 older woman out in public who are balding. I am not looking for these things but after reading certain comments on this site it has forced me to purposely look for these deficiencies. Stress definitely causes hair loss.

enting
December 13th, 2018, 10:03 AM
Rock on! It is utter bs when people imply that you cant have thick hair after 40 (which i just read on this site in a hair loss thread). My grandma passed at 86 with a full head of short bleached for 50 years then colored blonde wringlets. She took no hormone replacement therapy either. My mom is 72 with a full head too. I only see about 1 in 100 older woman out in public who are balding. I am not looking for these things but after reading certain comments on this site it has forced me to purposely look for these deficiencies. Stress definitely causes hair loss.

Goodness, yes, I have known women who had thick hair until the day they died of (very) old age. Genetics is probably a factor, as is your health and how you treat your hair. There's certainly room to say that there's hope for thicker hair after 40, especially if it's been mistreated until now.

guska
December 13th, 2018, 11:27 AM
My maternal grandmother still had a full head of hair when she passed away the age of 91. There was no sign of thinning at all. By that time she had a mix of greys and whites, and a few blacks too.
My mom is in her 50's and has a full head of hair. 5 inches in circumference, so still going strong :P 95 percent of the strands are black and 5% are white.

On a side not, my dad is in his 60's and his hair is a lot thinner now compared to when he was young. 2/3 is gone, but it's not noticeable, as he had a lot of hair to start with. It's now 85% black, 15% white. It's also a bit thinner (but still not see-through-thin) around the crown-area. His hair type has also changed from 1a to 2c, though, which is pretty interesting. His thinning started after he turned 60... But he's a man.

dyna
December 14th, 2018, 08:44 PM
A lot of drugs (including hormone replacement drugs, steroids, and beta blockers) can cause hair loss, mostly temporary. If you search on <drug hair loss> you'll find lists, some of them at reputable websites (like WebMD or LHC).

I'm male and 71, and while I'm not losing my hair (male pattern baldness skipped my generation, both my grandfathers died with their hair on), it's getting finer, like the underhair of a cat. So it seems thinner. (Damn, I shoulda started growing my hair out decades ago.)

Wendyp
December 15th, 2018, 06:09 PM
54 here and my hair is the best it’s been in a long time. But I agre with lapuska it’s about hormone balance. Progesterone really helped my hair start growing again and reducing my way too high testosterone thicked my hair from under 3 to currently 3.7 as of today. Keeping cortisol in check helps growth too.

dagny
December 15th, 2018, 06:52 PM
I am almost 50, but went through early menopause in my late 20's. I have not noticed much of a change in my hair -- it still grows as fast as I remember and it doesn't seem to have thinned much (however, I have not really been taking thickness measurements over the past decade).

My grandmother had thick hair when she was young, and it thinned considerably in her later years. My mother had crazy thick hair when she was my age, and it is thinner now that she is in her 70's.

That being said, good nutrition is important, as is good hair and scalp care. Don't neglect your scalp!

And as for Keto-- I love it! I don't do it for weight loss, but for health reasons.

Jo Ann
December 15th, 2018, 11:58 PM

After my post-partum sheds, I didn't notice my hair being noticeably thinner, compared to pre-pregnancy (I was 30, 40 and 42 when I had my babies), but after my boyfriend of 11 years passed away, I was severely depressed and THAT led to a big loss; that grew back after a year or so, but I've noticed my hair has thinned somewhat after I went through menopause about 8-10 years ago.

I started taking vitamin and/or biotin supplements about four years ago, I've been trying to eat better and I've been taking MSM for about a year now (YMMV), and my thickness has traveled to about my waist (my hair is BCL), so there is hope. My hair's not as thick as it was back in my 30's, but I'm not worried about what I do have. Mom still has a full head of hair, but it's starting to thin now (she's 84), and she has more hair than my grandmother (her mother) had. My Daddy's Mom also had a full head of hair when she passed away at age 80.

lapushka
December 16th, 2018, 03:51 AM
54 here and my hair is the best it’s been in a long time. But I agre with lapuska it’s about hormone balance. Progesterone really helped my hair start growing again and reducing my way too high testosterone thicked my hair from under 3 to currently 3.7 as of today. Keeping cortisol in check helps growth too.

Wendyp, such a cute avatar picture! You are gorgeous. :flower: Just had to say this!

EdG
December 16th, 2018, 09:32 PM
Hair, like everything else about one's body, is governed by genetics.

I have thick hair and I am over 50.
Ed

harpgal
December 17th, 2018, 12:07 PM

Ed
I think Ed is right here. Genetics do play a big role in the ability to have thick hair later in life. But hormones play a role, also.

I'm guessing that most folks in this forum would love to have those follicles hang onto the strands all the way to the floor. However, some do hang on and some do not; we all have tapers to some degree.

Overall, I do not think that aging in and of itself causes thinning hair. I am 70 and my thickness is the same at the nape.

Dark40
December 17th, 2018, 01:06 PM
I am 47 and I still have a lot of hair. My mother is 73 and she also still has a lot of hair as well. I think it's all genetics. So, yes I definitely think it's possible to have thick hair after 40.

Arciela
December 17th, 2018, 02:34 PM

Ed

I think Ed here is spot on :) A lot of my great Aunt's on my mothers side who have the same hair as me..have super thick hair and they're in their 70's..and down to the floor as well. Where as on my fathers side of the family..they have very fine, thin hair and it won't grow much anymore past their shoulders...

lapushka
December 17th, 2018, 05:00 PM
I don't know. My mom has fine, thin hair (i) and has lost hair permanently after pregnancy and once more during menopause. I am 46 and have iii hair. I did lose my hair at the very start of puberty (chunks + bald patches) but it grew back in wavy when it was smooth and slick and straight before. I seem to not yet be losing hair. So I don't know if it is genetics. My dad is 70 with a full head of hair, also fine but he has about ii hair right now.

My grandma had thick hair, like me, 2 aunts have the same, and the 2 other girls (my mom included) have i hair. Some brothers have iii hair, others are balding.

Some of my cousins have iii hair like me, others i hair. It is so odd how that goes. It's like some were given the thick hair gene and others weren't. :shrug:

Genetics is a weird thing! ;)

Wendyp
December 17th, 2018, 06:43 PM
Wendyp, such a cute avatar picture! You are gorgeous. :flower: Just had to say this!

Awww thank you lapuska! :flowers: