PDA

View Full Version : Does drinking water make a difference to hair growth?

Capricornhem
December 1st, 2018, 02:33 PM
Really trying to increase my water intake and drink 2L day for health and hair reasons.

Anyone noticed a difference when they start to drink more water? Please share!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 1st, 2018, 03:02 PM
You need to drink when you are thirsty. Like you eat when you are hungry. Remember you also get water from your food, too. :) It is good to drink some water every day, certainly.

Ylva
December 1st, 2018, 03:03 PM
Generally being healthy and having a healthy diet will at least not hurt hair growth. It'll mean you're at your maximum natural potential.

lapushka
December 1st, 2018, 03:48 PM
Really trying to increase my water intake and drink 2L day for health and hair reasons.

Anyone noticed a difference when they start to drink more water? Please share!

I drink a lot of water (due to having to take medication). I have not seen an increase in growth, still 1/2 inch a month since upping the water intake. I have always had 1/2 inch a month.

I do like my coffee as well, though. ;)

blackgothicdoll
December 1st, 2018, 04:05 PM
I drink up to a gallon daily in the summer, maybe a half-gallon in the winter. I drink a lot of water because I exercise a lot, plus I have a high-carb diet which makes me thirsty (I think? idk I'm always thirsty). My hair grows very slow. :(

It is possible to drink too much water - I've done so before. Be careful. 2L should be fine, I believe that is the average daily requirement.

Missymo
December 1st, 2018, 07:08 PM
I've not noticed that water makes my hair grow quicker but it certainly helps prevent it feeling dry and like straw.

Dark40
December 1st, 2018, 07:29 PM
I have to drink lots of water because I take medication too. But I've noticed that my hair grows a lot better when I drink plenty of water.

TatsuOni
December 2nd, 2018, 03:50 AM
I think that this is a good explanation on how hair growth works :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nTjSAsSdcNw&index=19&list=PL6763115ECB8074E3

Anyway, you should drink enough water. Not too much and not too little. But it's not a super formula for amazing growth, just one piece in the puzzle to reach your own max capacity of hair growth :)

lapushka
December 2nd, 2018, 04:42 AM
Yes, Tatsu, if you drink plenty but eat crappy... that's not gonna do it. It's a combination of things. And enough water is "more than enough". You don't need to overdo it, as that can have adverse effects.

GrowlingCupcake
December 2nd, 2018, 09:46 AM
I drink when I am thirsty. I also drink when my lips are dry, as that is a sign that I am not getting sufficient water. I used to drink a lot of water but it made no difference to my hair growth.

I drink up to a gallon daily in the summer, maybe a half-gallon in the winter. I drink a lot of water because I exercise a lot, plus I have a high-carb diet which makes me thirsty (I think? idk I'm always thirsty). My hair grows very slow. :(

It is possible to drink too much water - I've done so before. Be careful. 2L should be fine, I believe that is the average daily requirement.

Have you been checked for diabetes? That's usually a sign of it. Or maybe you are not consuming enough salt?

I used to be thirsty all the time; in restaurants, servers would just end up leaving a pitcher since I would be constantly asking for a refill. If I was at a buffet/get your own drink place, I'd get two cups just for myself, and would frequently ask other people to get an extra cup of water so I wouldn't have to keep getting up. I'm diabetic so everyone assumed that was the issue. Turns out I wasn't retaining water because I wasn't consuming enough salt (my mother bought into the salt = bad concept very heavily). When I moved to the US, my diet became higher in salt, and the unending need for water stopped. My family, relatives, and friends were amazed when I could get through a meal on a single cup of water. I often joke that moving to the US made me healthier (it did) than living in Asia or Australia.

blackgothicdoll
December 2nd, 2018, 10:21 AM
I drink when I am thirsty. I also drink when my lips are dry, as that is a sign that I am not getting sufficient water. I used to drink a lot of water but it made no difference to my hair growth.

Have you been checked for diabetes? That's usually a sign of it. Or maybe you are not consuming enough salt?

I used to be thirsty all the time; in restaurants, servers would just end up leaving a pitcher since I would be constantly asking for a refill. If I was at a buffet/get your own drink place, I'd get two cups just for myself, and would frequently ask other people to get an extra cup of water so I wouldn't have to keep getting up. I'm diabetic so everyone assumed that was the issue. Turns out I wasn't retaining water because I wasn't consuming enough salt (my mother bought into the salt = bad concept very heavily). When I moved to the US, my diet became higher in salt, and the unending need for water stopped. My family, relatives, and friends were amazed when I could get through a meal on a single cup of water. I often joke that moving to the US made me healthier (it did) than living in Asia or Australia.

I don't have diabetes, but I don't ever put salt on my food and I don't eat fast food...... hmm. I don't get much sodium. I never thought of that.

I don't seem to be THAT thirsty though, but I always keep water by me.

GrowlingCupcake
December 2nd, 2018, 10:37 AM
I don't have diabetes, but I don't ever put salt on my food and I don't eat fast food...... hmm. I don't get much sodium. I never thought of that.

I don't seem to be THAT thirsty though, but I always keep water by me.

If you have no sodium-related health issues like high blood pressure, I'd suggest increasing your salt intake for awhile to see if it helps. Given you're not that thirsty, you probably don't need to increase it as much as I did; I think I just need a fair amount of salt. I never considered salt either till I moved, and realised what a difference it made. It's so nice to not be thirsty all the time.

spidermom
December 2nd, 2018, 10:50 AM
I'm so distracted by various projects during the day that I don't notice being thirsty. Then I end up not sleeping because I am so thirsty that I'm sipping water and getting up to go to the bathroom all night long. Sigh ........... anyway, I am consciously training myself to drink more water during the day with the hopes that I won't be so thirsty at night.

I think that good hair growth is related to good health, and drinking enough water (which varies by individual of course) is necessary for good health.

blackgothicdoll
December 2nd, 2018, 11:44 AM
If you have no sodium-related health issues like high blood pressure, I'd suggest increasing your salt intake for awhile to see if it helps. Given you're not that thirsty, you probably don't need to increase it as much as I did; I think I just need a fair amount of salt. I never considered salt either till I moved, and realised what a difference it made. It's so nice to not be thirsty all the time.

Thanks for the input. I actually have low blood pressure. The nurse always asks me if I'm okay when she checks it, but then she asks if I'm a runner, which I am, so we shrug it off. Never thought it to be a dietary issue. I'll do some research on it. Thanks for the advice!

lapushka
December 2nd, 2018, 05:05 PM
Thanks for the input. I actually have low blood pressure. The nurse always asks me if I'm okay when she checks it, but then she asks if I'm a runner, which I am, so we shrug it off. Never thought it to be a dietary issue. I'll do some research on it. Thanks for the advice!

My mom always has low BP as well, always has. I would start to worry (for her) if it is normal to high!

Cate36
December 2nd, 2018, 07:52 PM
I started recently to drink a gallon a day after watching numerous youtube vids on how it benefits hair growth. Whilst I am struggling with my hair for various reasons (see "repairing damaged hair" thread), the water has had SO many benefits. My figure changed, stomach flattened, my skin improved, my eyes are SO bright.. .. and if it helps my hair.. then I'll keep at it. Once you get used to it, it's actually very easy to do. I have a litre of water first thing in the morning before I eat, or shower etc.. the rest is taken at intervals through the day... but if I feel hungry, I first try and drink half a litre of water, wait for 30, then eat.. so as I said, there are benefits.. and hopefully hair benefits also..