PDA

View Full Version : I met a retired metal guitarist recently and asked him for long hair advice...

That Purple Guy
December 1st, 2018, 01:04 PM
He showed me pictures of him in his hayday when he was in a metal band, and his hair was passed his butt! I told him 'I've always wanted that, but my hair (halfway down my back) has been the same length for YEARS. Is it just genetic for some guys? Is this just the LIMIT of how long my hair will grow?'

He said 'Mane and Tail, and a good Vitamin E supplement.'

I think I tried Mane and Tail years ago, but I heard something about sulfates and defaulted to 'Oh, I guess I should stop using it.'

And Vitamin E... I'm not sure I've ever tried supplements of it. I've taken Biotin before. Are there major differences between the two?

Basically, I'd love expert advice about the pros and cons of Mane and Tail, and how helpful Vitamin E is versus Biotin. Or in general. Yeh. >8C

Thanks if you can help a guy out~

Ylva
December 1st, 2018, 01:15 PM
Mane and Tail to me has always seemed like a good basic sulfate shampoo. Nothing strikes me about it. And of course sulfates aren't evil, they just don't suit everyone, but that's how it is with nearly everything. If your hair and especially scalp is okay with sulfates, then by all means, use them!

Differences between vitamin E and biotin? Well, biotin is a B vitamin. :shrug: I've used vitamin E topically on my scalp for hair growth. I didn't notice any difference with and without it, because it's the scalp massage that does the most in terms of hair growth.

cjk
December 1st, 2018, 01:19 PM
Vitamins of any sort are supplements. In other words, they supplement what you get in your diet.

If you are deficient, a supplement will make up the difference and be beneficial. If you're not deficient, they won't.

blackgothicdoll
December 1st, 2018, 01:22 PM
I LOVE Mane and Tail, but it is a protein-based conditioner (not sure about the shampoo). Not everyone has protein sensitive hair, but when I used it I would alternate between that and a moisturizing conditioner. I would only use the shampoo once a week or less back when I used it, since I find SLS shampoos drying to my hair, but honestly the Mane and Tail wasn't too drying if I remember correctly. I don't think that's a big deal, if your hair doesn't mind.

A perfect segway into this, is that Sunflower oil is packed in vitamin E. Try doing a pre-poo with warm sunflower oil, massaging into your scalp. Then you could use the Mane and Tail to clean out the oil, the oil will serve as a buffer not to strip your hair. You can oil after conditioning too, if your hair likes it.

I think knowing your hair type would help others give advice. :)

You can find a vitamin E vitamin in the vitamin section of your Wal Mart, Target or pretty much any store. Little yellow capsules. I would always recommend vitamin E over biotin, as long as you aren't taking too much. Vitamin E is good for your skin and hair, it provides moisture for your skin due to its fatty composition. Biotin relates to metabolic process, so if you're at a perfect balance, I feel like biotin can cause issues. That's why people get pimples or gain weight.

lapushka
December 2nd, 2018, 09:50 AM
He showed me pictures of him in his hayday when he was in a metal band, and his hair was passed his butt! I told him 'I've always wanted that, but my hair (halfway down my back) has been the same length for YEARS. Is it just genetic for some guys? Is this just the LIMIT of how long my hair will grow?'

He said 'Mane and Tail, and a good Vitamin E supplement.'

I think I tried Mane and Tail years ago, but I heard something about sulfates and defaulted to 'Oh, I guess I should stop using it.'

And Vitamin E... I'm not sure I've ever tried supplements of it. I've taken Biotin before. Are there major differences between the two?

Basically, I'd love expert advice about the pros and cons of Mane and Tail, and how helpful Vitamin E is versus Biotin. Or in general. Yeh. >8C

Thanks if you can help a guy out~

Mane n Tail is a good product, but so are so many other products. If your hair stops growing, I doubt it's the product you're using.

And oiling is always beneficial; there are several methods, rinse-out oil (see signature), or pre-poo oiling. Not necessarily with vit. E, you can use whatever oil is appealing to you, even coconut or olive oil, from the cooking section.

Alibran
December 2nd, 2018, 10:16 AM
It might be nothing to do with his product choices and just that he has tough hair that just keeps getting longer and doesn't break easily. Mine is like that. When I was a kid, I had really long hair that got that way because I (apparently) screamed if anyone came near me with scissors. Oh ... hang on, I still do that.

Eireann
December 2nd, 2018, 03:43 PM
I recently met a woman with hair down to her knees, thick healthy and all one length. She said her hair just grows like a weed. She’s had it pixie short and floor length. Some folks have all the luck!

Doreen
December 2nd, 2018, 03:56 PM
I'm no expert, but I think you should try experimenting a bit and see if you notice any difference for yourself! I can't say much about vitamin E or biotin but at least for me personally, sulfate shampoos work great and don't seem to have inhibited my growth. You might try monthly measuring to track your progress.

That Purple Guy
December 2nd, 2018, 05:10 PM
Thanks for all the replies. By the way, I asked a friend (who is going to salon school) if she could tell me what my hair type was (because I had no idea), and she said: 'Thin Medium.'

So I have 'Thin Medium' hair, whatever that means. Also she said I had some dead hair I should cut off. Does that affect hair growth at all? xD

Also said something about Kerotin? Is that any good or just some snake oil? :P

lapushka
December 2nd, 2018, 05:20 PM
Thanks for all the replies. By the way, I asked a friend (who is going to salon school) if she could tell me what my hair type was (because I had no idea), and she said: 'Thin Medium.'

So I have 'Thin Medium' hair, whatever that means. Also she said I had some dead hair I should cut off. Does that affect hair growth at all? xD

Also said something about Kerotin? Is that any good or just some snake oil? :P

You can measure your circumference; make a ponytail (be sure to get all your hair in) and then measure around it (don't include the elastic, kind of goes without saying but still thought I'd mention it). This will put you in i, ii, or iii for a category and this is the thickness of your hair, how much you have of it.

Thin, normal, or coarse is what one strand of hair is like.

Get back to us with that. We'll see if it's "thin, medium". ;)

That Purple Guy
December 2nd, 2018, 05:29 PM
I'm not sure how to get the circumference, but I tied up my hair and used a clothing tape measure and pinched the spot where it met itself around my hair.

It's roughly 5 and 1/2 centimeters :]

pailin
December 2nd, 2018, 08:53 PM
That sounds like a ii, which is medium thickness. Closer to i than iii, but lots of people grow very long hair at your thickness. If you want a really accurate measurement, I use a hairtie, then tie a string tightly just below it. You can cut it (really carefully so as not to cut any hairs!) to take it off, then measure the length of the cut string.

Regarding 'dead ends', hairdressers seem to just mean they want to trim your hair. No hair is alive, so it's not like dead wood on a tree. They may mean you have split ends, or that your ends are kind of dry, or maybe that they're just uneven.

If you're trying to grow it long, I wouldn't trim unless you have actual split ends, or you don't like the look of your ends yourself. Even with split ends, people will always tell you they travel up the hairshaft and that's why you should cut them. But my impression is most people don't actually experience that. Some people here at lhc will trim them religiously, and others will leave a lot and not worry about it. You can also just use a good pair of hair scissors (not any other kind, and they should never be used for anything but hair, or they can cause more splits) and search out the splits and just cut the individual hairs (people here call it search and destry, s&d). But that's definitely not required.

Basically, if you want to grow your hair out longer, I'd be very skeptical any time a hair dresser tells you to trim or cut. It's not necessarily anything wrong with them, but their goals for your hair often are not the same as your goals for your hair.

I never got my hair past about armpit length letting hairdressers trim it, and even that long took me years to grow out. I had to stop getting it cut.

lapushka
December 3rd, 2018, 07:36 AM
Very true what pailin says about trimming. If you are anywhere near waist or hip, and hairdressers say you have "dead ends", they usually mean they want to trim your hair up to shoulder length or somewhere along that length.

5 1/2 cm is about average, I think. Normal aka on the lower side of average, but still average.

These are the categories:

i - thin (less than 2 inches/5 centimeters)
ii - normal (between 2-4 inches or 5-10 centimeters)
iii - thick (more than 4 inches/10 centimeters)

lunalocks
December 3rd, 2018, 10:14 AM
I'm convinced that some people have stronger hairs than others. Some people abuse their hair (with heat, color, wearing down all the time) and have it grow. Not me. I now have knee length, I wear it up 99% of the time and baby it to no end. Catnip tea instead of conditioner helps each hair to be stronger and protect against splits. When I wore my hair down at mid back length, for years, I had so many splits that the hairs broke off and gave the appearance of never growing.

You can try committing to wearing your hair up for a year and see how many inches you've gained. 6 is average in a year. Then you will know if it can continue to grow or if you have reached terminal.

lunalocks
December 3rd, 2018, 12:00 PM
FYI beware of vit E supplementation. It's been linked to early death rates.

https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn6653-high-doses-of-vitamin-e-may-hasten-death/

That Purple Guy
December 5th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Geez, early death rates? I didn't think I'd have to worry about dying when it comes to growing long hair. owo

I wonder if my situation is I haven't been giving my hair what it needs to be as strong as it can be.

What diet, supplements, and/or hair products would you recommend to a guy like me to make my hair SUPER STRONG. Like, no split ends, no falling out, no stress from being put up or down too much, etc. How do I make my hair climbable like a male Repunsel, lol jk~

Also, any good 'lazy options' for the whole 'massaging the scalp to increase bloodflow' thing? Is there a silly thing you wear like a hat out there yet? xD

lapushka
December 5th, 2018, 01:37 PM
What diet, supplements, and/or hair products would you recommend to a guy like me to make my hair SUPER STRONG. Like, no split ends, no falling out, no stress from being put up or down too much, etc. How do I make my hair climbable like a male Repunsel, lol jk~

There aren't any supplements that can keep your hair from splitting. Just eat well, drink your water, and don't worry about it if you don't have any dietary deficiencies.

illicitlizard
December 5th, 2018, 06:12 PM
Geez, early death rates? I didn't think I'd have to worry about dying when it comes to growing long hair. owo

I wonder if my situation is I haven't been giving my hair what it needs to be as strong as it can be.

Also, any good 'lazy options' for the whole 'massaging the scalp to increase bloodflow' thing? Is there a silly thing you wear like a hat out there yet? xD

There is no magic supplement/diet/product to get strong long hair. It comes down to genetics, reducing mechanical and chemical damage and eating a balanced diet. That's all you can really do.

That Purple Guy
December 17th, 2018, 09:33 PM
Okay, got some new stuff to talk about~

A coworker of mine recomended three things to me:

1.) Get a cloth hairband instead of the one I'm using, as mine is 'too rough' and is likely a big factor in the dead ends on my ponytail hair (which I think might actually be right). Is there a trusted brand of 'super gentle' cloth bands I should use to put my hair in a ponytail at work but not cause breakage over time?

2.) Try a product called Sugar Bear Hair, which I guess are these little teddy-shaped supplements of some sort. Any thoughts?

3.) Try Paul Mitchell products, but only get them at a real salon because retail versions of it 'aren't the real thing.' So ARE his products good and why on earth does it matter if you get them from a salon versus the grocery store?

Thanks again for sharing stuff with me everyone :]

Jo Ann
December 17th, 2018, 10:27 PM
There are stretchy ponytail holders you can find in just about any hair care section, but my experience shows the ponytail will sag after a while, depending on the length of your hair. Non-metal covered elastics might do you better.

Sugar Bear Hair vitamins are a sure way to part you from your money, in my opinion. There are many hair, skin and nail vitamin supplements out there that are comparable in quality to SBH vitamins, but without the exorbitant price tag--and gummies are available.

Paul Mitchell products are top of the line. You know your wallet's status better than we do, and there are certainly much cheaper shampoos and conditioners out there that do a comparable (if not better) job. If you like your current shampoo, you can keep on using it; if not, there's plenty of alternatives out there for you to try :flower:

littlestarface
December 17th, 2018, 11:07 PM
Well the person is probably just recommending what they use/used ie paul mitchell but there are plenty that will either work better or just as good. I love CHI but that's just cuz it works for my hair n scalp, so even for me its hard to recommend what I use to someone lol.

Sugar bear dude don't even waste your money on that crap, straight up.

For pony tail holder try n find those panty hose type ones those ones are perfect and don't cause damage. https://www.ulta.com/hosiery-ponytailers?productId=xlsImpprod16041325 Like these.

Rebeccalaurenxx
December 17th, 2018, 11:33 PM
Im sorry but nearly everything youve suggested on trying is a gimmick.

Just eat right - like EAT HEALTHY.
Drink a healthy amount of water.
Get good sleep.
Protect your hair - wear it UP.
Wait. Patience is key along with avoiding mechanical damage.

there is no magic gummy bear, hair serum, elixir, shampoo or other product that someone can sell to you, that will make your hair stronger or grow better.

Try eliminating one thing at a time, there is probably a specific thing in your routine that you dont even realize youre doing thats giving you breakage.

lapushka
December 18th, 2018, 03:29 AM
1/What ponytail holders are you using now? If it's not got metal in it it is *fine*!

2/Sugar bear is a hyped up HSK (hair skin nails) supplement. Just go to your local drugstore/supermarket and get a HSK supplement if you want to have additional vitamins for that. But IMMHO, a regular multivitamin will give you all you need. If, at all, you need to take vitamins. Only if your diet is lacking do you need stuff like this.

3/As far as PM, *any* drugstore shampoo and conditioner will do just fine!

Are you rough brushing / combing in any way? We brush or comb from the ends up to the root, so in bits, not by dragging our comb or brush from the root down.

spitfire511
December 19th, 2018, 08:41 AM
Well the person is probably just recommending what they use/used ie paul mitchell but there are plenty that will either work better or just as good. I love CHI but that's just cuz it works for my hair n scalp, so even for me its hard to recommend what I use to someone lol.

Sugar bear dude don't even waste your money on that crap, straight up.

For pony tail holder try n find those panty hose type ones those ones are perfect and don't cause damage. https://www.ulta.com/hosiery-ponytailers?productId=xlsImpprod16041325 Like these.

Second all of this - I use those ponytail holders (and depending on where you are you can get them at most big box and drug stores) exclusively and find that they are a bit more gentle than others on my hair (though they can definitely slip!)

And yes yes yes to what the others say about product - you cannot listen to anyone else's advice on this - you have to learn for you! Some people's hair loves very expensive products - I have a $40 bottle of oil in my cabinet I cannot use because it makes my hair feel like straw - but it loves tres semme from the drug store. You gotta do what works for you!

Also - if you haven't looked through the stickies yet (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/announcement.php?f=9&a=11) - it's really worth the time (I actually revisit them occasionally to remind myself of things I've forgotten!) but figuring out what YOUR hair needs is your first priority - regardless of what anyone tells you (even if their hair looks so much like yours!)

Welcome and good luck!! :D

growbabybrow
December 22nd, 2018, 09:23 AM
A metal guitarist?! So rad. Those guys have it in their job description to flip their hair around like crazy, all untied and ****.

That Purple Guy
December 31st, 2018, 04:21 PM
So this is the hair tie I used to use.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EXYNTS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

My coworker (who I keep referring to because she's going to salon school, btw) told me that those are part of the reason I have dead ends, and she's gonna help me out by trimming them for me soon!

But she said get THESE instead

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MTZUPW2/ref=ppx_od_b_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&th=1

So I bought some, but I don't like them. I assume you're supposed to fold them over like you would the first hairties I linked, but these get twisted and are uncomfortable after the third loop-around to make sure they're tight enough to hold my hair (two loops is too loose). I'm often in a hurry so I don't have time to tie it perfectly or keep redoing it until it's just right.

Is there a type of hairtie that won't damage my hair, is comfortable, AND I can tie it as quick as those first ones?

Jo Ann
December 31st, 2018, 09:23 PM
Purp, i keep a few of the first one you linked to around, mainly because they do not slip when you tie your hair back with them.

I talked to a Nearly Famous Rock Star some time back, and his first bit of advice to me was to not wash my hair so often--once a week should do it. He also told me that half the stuff we wimmenses use on our hair does more harm than good--stuff like gels and mousses because they have alcohol in them and that dries out one's hair. Only trim when necessary. The Biggie--don't mess with it any more than you absolutely have to.

Works for me :flower: :rockerdud

lapushka
January 1st, 2019, 07:45 AM
So this is the hair tie I used to use.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B004EXYNTS/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&th=1

My coworker (who I keep referring to because she's going to salon school, btw) told me that those are part of the reason I have dead ends, and she's gonna help me out by trimming them for me soon!

But she said get THESE instead

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00MTZUPW2/ref=ppx_od_b_detailpages01?ie=UTF8&th=1

So I bought some, but I don't like them. I assume you're supposed to fold them over like you would the first hairties I linked, but these get twisted and are uncomfortable after the third loop-around to make sure they're tight enough to hold my hair (two loops is too loose). I'm often in a hurry so I don't have time to tie it perfectly or keep redoing it until it's just right.

Is there a type of hairtie that won't damage my hair, is comfortable, AND I can tie it as quick as those first ones?

There is nothing wrong with the elastics you use.

The other ones might not be that nice of a hold for thicker hair, but they are nice as well.

Comes down to preference, but there is no real need to change. :)