PDA

View Full Version : repairing damaged hair

Cate36
November 30th, 2018, 10:57 PM
Hi All,

I wanted to detail a few things I am doing to repair badly damaged hair and prevent breakage. For those who don't know my journey - I hennaed my hair thinking it was non permanent. I went on a rampage to get rid of the henna - which I did! But not without destroying the cuticle of my hair with Perm hair colour removers. At first it was fine.. the henna was almost gone.. but I couldn't stop over dosing on the products to get rid of the final parts of it.. and suddenly.. bad bad breakage all over.. The henna is totally gone..nothing left at all.

I wanted to detail what I am doing and see if there is any advice from others out there dealing with this, and to learn from other's experiences if possible

I am now using Khair-pep - google it.. it works to HEAL the hair.. does not wash out, and will slowly with use, prevent breakage
Diet and water - I drink a gallon of water a day, and am taking a host of hair supplements along with eating a clean diet with plenty of fruit, veg and protein (eggs mainly).
GHE - putting my hair in a showercap over night with a little water and moisturiser to promote growth and also keep my hair conditioned.
Bhave - an intense keratin rescue treatment. (Not a straightening treatment - an all natural treatment). Australian product - I don't wash my hair now, I let the stylist do it with the treatment weekly.
Inversion - the inversion technique (without oil.. or I would need to wash) hanging my hair upside down each day for a few mins..
Finally - I also purchased a low light laser helmet to strengthen and thicken the hair from the roots.

My hair doesn't get so tangled now.. but it is a lot thiner, and I stress like mad if I have to wash it or use a brush.. any advice?

PixieNixie
November 30th, 2018, 11:46 PM
Olaplex can help fix some of the damage. The problem is if it has been awhile since the damage, it wont help as much. (The science is Olaplex helps rebond broken disulfide bonds. The problem is these bonds end up "capping" themselves so Olaplex can no longer work. ) It seems you have been getting enough protien treatments in your hair, so I would advise some good deep conditioning treatments as well. I would not do any heat styling on it. I would wear it in protective styles as much as possible and invest in a silk/satin pillowcase or cap. Unfortunately if your hair is fried fried, nothing will bring it back and it would be best to snip away the really damaged parts while supporting and keeping healthy the new growth.

Jo Ann
December 1st, 2018, 12:07 AM
Nightshade has a good article on how hair is damaged and how she rehabilitated her hair:

Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating

(http://web.archive.org/web/20120122064345/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79)

Jo Ann
December 1st, 2018, 12:27 AM
The best things I can suggest are:

Moisturize your hair. Moisturizing deep treatments will help balance the protein treatments you're using. Hair needs moisture and protein to stay in balance.

Patience. It will take time to see the results of what you're doing to your hair NOW. Don't stress over doing any more damage to your hair--it will need to be groomed (a wide-tooth comb can be your best friend) to help keep the tangles down. Comb your hair from the bottom up and be patient as you work out the tangles.

Try LOC/LCO (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167) to help get more moisture in your hair and keep it there. Many have success with Shea Moisture's Strengthen and Restore Leave-in Conditioner (also known as SM's JBCO leave-in). I follow that with either coconut oil or an argan oil serum I get at Wal-mart (it's found in the hair vitamin section). When using oil on your hair, remember: a little goes a long way!

Microtrimming will gradually get rid of your damage, without sacrificing your length. Try trimming about 1/8-1/4 inch a month to gradually get your damage under control. Yes, this will "slow" your growth (hair grows on average about 1/2 inch per month), but you will still be able to get some length as you work to get your damage under control.

Listen to your hair and scalp! If you've been focusing on giving it protein, and it's starting to feel "stiff" or is breaking more, you probably need to give it a deep moisturizing treatment. There's some good ones out there--I'm partial to Hask Keratin/Protein Mask and SM's Strengthen and Grow Masque. Your hair will let you know what you need.

Check out the Giving Up Dye/Bleach (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=51155) thread. Everyone there has been where you are now. You can get some great pointers and support there.

Good luck, Cate!

Nightshade
December 1st, 2018, 01:25 AM
Nightshade has a good article on how hair is damaged and how she rehabilitated her hair:

Damaged Hair: Understanding, Preventing & Rehabilitating

(http://web.archive.org/web/20120122064345/http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/vbjournal.php?do=article&articleid=79)

I've since expanded this to a full length book, but the article is a good start! Let me know if you have any questions about the article :)

Cate36
December 1st, 2018, 02:55 AM
Thanks so so much for your replies... you are all brilliant and I am SO grateful.

I was So devastated that I pushed things too far.. the henna was almost gone.. I should have just settled for it rather than destroy the hair I had.. I've been suicidal at times.

The issue I have is moisture. Today I had the bhave treatment, but by night, it's already frizzy and dry..so here is my question..

How do I get rid of the frizz without needing to wash it - i.e. loading it with products (albeit natural ones), or oil (as it would mean washing it)? Although I have put the tiniest bit of coconut oil on the ends to try and help...

It doesn't feel dry to the touch so much.. but because the breakage has kind of made chemical hair cuts all over it.. the hairs all stick out different ways.. there's no rhyme or reason to it.. they have a life of their own.. (I have very fine curly hair.. so it has always been on the dry side).

I did a porosity test on my hair with a glass of water, and the hair floated on the top for days.. it just doesn't absorb moisture at all

I've wondered about the baggy hair technique...

The thing is, I really want to avoid washing it, and if I put too much on it, it ends up being weighed down and looking terrible.. leading to a horrible cycle of washing.. frizz.. oil.. washing frizz.. oil...

I'm really lost to know what to do.. I wish there was a professional I knew of that could just take care of it for me.. but all I know to do at this stage is go to the hair dresser I've been seeing, and let her wash it with the treatment once a week..

Is it worth seeing a trichologist?

Cate36
December 1st, 2018, 03:06 AM
I've since expanded this to a full length book, but the article is a good start! Let me know if you have any questions about the article :)

Thanks nightshade. I had to smile at your comment re using henna... my hair was so thick after using henna.. it DID cross my mind to do it again on the damaged hair.. but seeing as these last three months has been all about getting rid of henna.. well... :) . Would probably not help me mentally..

I have thought about going nopoo.. just washing with water.. and letting natural oils do their work..but I guess that is not recommended? or maybe just washing with conditioner?

The khairpep does heal damaged hair to an extend and doesn't wash out.. so I will keep using it.. I just don't want to wash it much.. so.. not sure what to do..

lapushka
December 1st, 2018, 07:17 AM
I went through a bout of chemical breakage as well. I had BSL at the time, and it broke right off to shoulder, chin, on an odd diagonal, so I had to have it cut!

Beware! You can drink enough water, but too much is no good either.

Maybe do your own damage repair and stop going to the stylist. I'm sure within x-amount of time they'll want to cut (more) off, and that is absolutely not necessary, I'm sure.

Just baby it and pamper it with good deep conditioners, and that's about all you can do. Maybe microtrimming, have a look at that. It will be better than the stylist.

How long is it now?

Sparkles122
December 1st, 2018, 07:48 AM
I went through a bout of chemical breakage as well. I had BSL at the time, and it broke right off to shoulder, chin, on an odd diagonal, so I had to have it cut!

Beware! You can drink enough water, but too much is no good either.

Maybe do your own damage repair and stop going to the stylist. I'm sure within x-amount of time they'll want to cut (more) off, and that is absolutely not necessary, I'm sure.

Just baby it and pamper it with good deep conditioners, and that's about all you can do. Maybe microtrimming, have a look at that. It will be better than the stylist.

How long is it now?

What happened that your hair broke off? How long ago did that happen and how long did it take for you to get it where it is now?

MusicalSpoons
December 1st, 2018, 08:14 AM
Just FYI the porosity test is mostly useless unless you do it with a hair stripped of all product http://www.thenaturalhavenbloom.com/2013/01/junk-science-hair-porosity-tests-float.html

I'm sorry to hear your been having such a tough time with your hair; you've certainly come to the right place for good advice and I hope you start to see things getting better soon :flower:

By the way, I can understand being reluctant to wash your hair too often but if it needs more moisture than one wash a week, you might be doing it a favour to (gently) wash more often - that way you could do more deep conditioning too :) (which doesn't have to mean weighing it down with products, because most deep conditioners are designed to be rinsed out).

RoseChantel
December 1st, 2018, 08:26 AM
I have really thin hair too and used to have some bald spots in my hair. The biggest thing that helped me grow all my bald spots and thicken my hair up a little was the inversion method and making sure that I always gave myself a scalp massage and oiled my scalp and hair the night before washing it. For my oil I always blend either olive oil, avocado oil or coconut oil (those oils penetrate the hair to help strengthen it from the inside) with castor oil (for growth) and either sesame oil or sweet almond oil (those work to help protect against split ends). Rosemary, lavender, cedarwood, peppermint and rosewood essential oils helped for me too. Another thing that helped was getting a pair of hair cutting scissors and trimming off individuals strands that had split. This way I could continued to keep my hair long enough to braid while taking care of the damaged areas so that they could grow out. I will say that it takes a lot of time... I've done hours of research and tried a ton of different things and nothing is a quick fix. I'm still repairing a few damaged areas of my hair and it been a year now since I started doing this regularly.

Jo Ann
December 1st, 2018, 10:25 AM
You might want to try a different oil than coconut when your hair is dry, Cate. My hair is protein-sensitive and I can not use coconut oil on it when it's dry.

You can try to spritz some water on your hair and then use a lightweight oil or oil blend on it to help keep your hair moisturized. The argan oil serum I get at Wal-mart is a blend of argan, sweet almond, grapeseed and avocado oils--it's light and my hair seems to have no problem absorbing it. For my hair length (BCL), I divide it into four sections and oil each section with 5-7 drops of oil when needed between shampoos (I wash weekly).

Some here have success with a CWC (condition/wash/condition) or WCC (wash/condition/condition) hair washing regimen--many use Herbal Essences Hello Hydration as the second conditioner.

Whatever you choose to do, though, just change up one item at a time and give it a couple of weeks to see if it will work for you.

lapushka
December 1st, 2018, 04:09 PM
What happened that your hair broke off? How long ago did that happen and how long did it take for you to get it where it is now?

Henna mixed with chemical dye; was trying to get the henna out and it was just out, one dye later and *poof*. My hair was far too porous, my hair had gone a soot black (the dye was light brown), and it chemically cut itself off and on top of that my scalp got burned. So a cut back to chin and a whole lot of weeks smearing a cortisone on my scalp later, I was back to growing. I went back to chin 2 times in my time here, and once from hip to BSL (curly perm). It took 10 years to reach classic due to my shenanigans with dye and all my experiments with products.

That is why when we say if you experiment with something, go slow, do it over a number of weeks and wait on the results, it is dead serious!

I stopped dyeing my hair at that point completely, went all virgin and changed my impulsive, experimental ways.

Sparkles122
December 1st, 2018, 04:22 PM
Henna mixed with chemical dye; was trying to get the henna out and it was just out, one dye later and *poof*. My hair was far too porous, my hair had gone a soot black (the dye was light brown), and it chemically cut itself off and on top of that my scalp got burned. So a cut back to chin and a whole lot of weeks smearing a cortisone on my scalp later, I was back to growing. I went back to chin 2 times in my time here, and once from hip to BSL (curly perm). It took 10 years to reach classic due to my shenanigans with dye and all my experiments with products.

That is why when we say if you experiment with something, go slow, do it over a number of weeks and wait on the results, it is dead serious!

I stopped dyeing my hair at that point completely, went all virgin and changed my impulsive, experimental ways.

Oh wow, and look at how wonderful your hair is now! I guess there might be hope for me

lapushka
December 1st, 2018, 04:29 PM
Oh wow, and look at how wonderful your hair is now! I guess there might be hope for me

Just take it one day at a time, especially with damaged hair; don't do anything impulsive that you think might be "great". Think of the 2-week rule over on this forum, and let us know what you'll be up to, so we can stop you. LOL! I know what I was like when I was dabbling in dye, you tend to keep wanting to "fix" it, and it's never-ending and leads you into big trouble!

It took years though, not gonna lie, years!

Cate36
December 1st, 2018, 06:51 PM
I do the inversion technique every day, but at the moment, I can't seem to stem the panic to see the wood from the trees.. I'm terrified it is getting worst.. I'm not sure how to get through this problem.. I know it will take months and months to get to a point where it starts to thicken..and I don't feel I can go out at the moment.. every-time I look down at my hair all I see is a frizzy thin mess.. everyone knows me for my hair, it's my one feature.. I do work on the media, I'm in public a lot.. and so at the moment my whole career is going down the drain because I cannot let myself be seen looking so awful.. if there was a pill that would end it all,I would have taken it by now. This truly is the last straw for me.. I always had issues accepting myself.. I'd started to make a recovery earlier in the year, but then had a melt down over the henna, and where I am now is such a bad place.. I just want to hide until it's over. The thing is, I'm not a 20 year old, I'm in my 40s, singe, and would very much like to be in a relationship.. all those dreams have gone for the moment because I can't imagine that anyone would want to be with me like this.. I'm so depressed...

Sorry.. just venting.. :( I don't know how to get through it..

PixieNixie
December 1st, 2018, 07:01 PM
I would find a leave in conditioner you like and look up the loc technique. It will help seal in your moisture better. I would really focus on moisturizing treatments because it sounds like the treatments you have been using are protien packed. Hair can break from too much protien too. :/ (I dont think you have done that yet. The breakage is probably from over processing, but if you continue to add protien and do not balance it with moisturizing treatments it can happen). Also using an oil in your hair esp on the ends can help seal in moisture of a leave in conditioner. I personally like avacado. It is a nice light oil I can use on my hair right after I shower that doesnt leave my hair looking greasy. I would steer clear of coconut since it mimics protien and you are already using a lot of protien loaded products. Olive oil is also popular, but I find it too heavy for my hair. I only use it as a deep oiling treatment the night before I wash my hair. You might have to experiment a bit to find out what works and doesnt work for your hair. Also look into CWC or WCC. The more moisture you can get into your hair (and help your hair retain with LoC) the better.

Sparkles122
December 1st, 2018, 07:05 PM
I do the inversion technique every day, but at the moment, I can't seem to stem the panic to see the wood from the trees.. I'm terrified it is getting worst.. I'm not sure how to get through this problem.. I know it will take months and months to get to a point where it starts to thicken..and I don't feel I can go out at the moment.. every-time I look down at my hair all I see is a frizzy thin mess.. everyone knows me for my hair, it's my one feature.. I do work on the media, I'm in public a lot.. and so at the moment my whole career is going down the drain because I cannot let myself be seen looking so awful.. if there was a pill that would end it all,I would have taken it by now. This truly is the last straw for me.. I always had issues accepting myself.. I'd started to make a recovery earlier in the year, but then had a melt down over the henna, and where I am now is such a bad place.. I just want to hide until it's over. The thing is, I'm not a 20 year old, I'm in my 40s, singe, and would very much like to be in a relationship.. all those dreams have gone for the moment because I can't imagine that anyone would want to be with me like this.. I'm so depressed...

I’m so sorry to hear this, because I know exactly how you feel. I too am in the process of recovering from damage (bleach) and growing out my hair to what it once was. I came on here seeking help and I have had alot of great suggestions and advice from the people here. You are in the right place. Since I am very new to this hair care thing, I cannot offer any tips but just know there are others out there in the same situation you are in.

Sparkles122
December 1st, 2018, 07:16 PM
Just take it one day at a time, especially with damaged hair; don't do anything impulsive that you think might be "great". Think of the 2-week rule over on this forum, and let us know what you'll be up to, so we can stop you. LOL! I know what I was like when I was dabbling in dye, you tend to keep wanting to "fix" it, and it's never-ending and leads you into big trouble!

It took years though, not gonna lie, years!

I’m definitely going to consult that thread the next time i even think about doing anything to my hair. Oh how I wish I did a month ago

Nightshade
December 1st, 2018, 07:35 PM

Hang in there! When I came here my hair was ungodly damaged. It broke off from my hips to my armpits. It'll get there, just microtrim, be gentle with it, and understand that the damage is done, so all you can do is focus on taking good care of the new growth.

aethyra
December 1st, 2018, 08:19 PM
Hello Cate. I just want to let you know that you are not alone. I too have similar damage and lots of thinning. I dont even know what happened to my hair beyond getting a letter from the city letting me know that they had recently added more chlorine to our city water. It is particularly devastating when you depend on your hair as a primary asset and a source of self confidence.

You can and will get through this. You can do this! Please dont do anything to hurt yourself. Within one year your hair will grow 6 inches or more. Reading Lapushka's advice made me realize this for my own damage. I am cutting inches and also alternate with micro trimming. You are not that old either. Think of this as a temporary setback and not a permanent state of being. Your hair will grow and improve. Have faith in the certainty of time healing all things. I get very depressed as well as my 9 year relationship is faltering due to my constant hair grief.
My guy was never too happy with my hair and was always telling me to cut it off ( i am BSL) even when it was still healthy and shiny last year. He does not have empathy whatsoever. Perhaps your being in a relationship during this temporary crisis is likely not going to be helpful unless you meet an empath. Empathic men are rare. In fact I have never met one and I was in the music business for a long time.

Right now I am going to focus on face and body improvements while working on remedying my hair. Little tweeks can make a huge difference. Can you do the same type of things while you are repairing your hair?

How long is your hair right now?

Sending blessings your way. :blossom:

Knightly
December 2nd, 2018, 12:21 AM
Personally, whenever my hair feels damaged or I trim/cut it, I use a cuticle sealer.
Curicle sealers are often used in hair salons after coloring to lock the dye inside. I think what it does is basically seal the little 'scales' on your hair.
I ve been using them for over 3 years and let me tell you they are a blessing. They make hair so soft, shiny and tangle free. But you gotta keep using the treatment every now and then.
They don't really 'repair' your hair, but keeps it from more damage and prevents split ends.
I'm not sure if it works for every hair type but you should give it a try.
Test it with a little strand of hair and see if it works. I get mine at Sally Beauty Supply.
I hope this helps xoxo

lapushka
December 2nd, 2018, 09:48 AM
Maybe give the inversion method a break. It is still mechanical manipulation, and I myself don't believe in that. I believe in leaving the hair alone as much as possible in between washing. It might come out just from manipulation alone!

I am 46, disabled, alone, no children, and my parents who are 72 still take care of me. Be lucky you aren't in a situation like that, trust me it is worse. Not playing the whose situation is worse game here, but just to show that you have nothing to feel bad for, or ashamed of. It could be worse!

Cate36
December 2nd, 2018, 03:43 PM
Hello Cate. I just want to let you know that you are not alone. I too have similar damage and lots of thinning. I dont even know what happened to my hair beyond getting a letter from the city letting me know that they had recently added more chlorine to our city water. It is particularly devastating when you depend on your hair as a primary asset and a source of self confidence.

You can and will get through this. You can do this! Please dont do anything to hurt yourself. Within one year your hair will grow 6 inches or more. Reading Lapushka's advice made me realize this for my own damage. I am cutting inches and also alternate with micro trimming. You are not that old either. Think of this as a temporary setback and not a permanent state of being. Your hair will grow and improve. Have faith in the certainty of time healing all things. I get very depressed as well as my 9 year relationship is faltering due to my constant hair grief.
My guy was never too happy with my hair and was always telling me to cut it off ( i am BSL) even when it was still healthy and shiny last year. He does not have empathy whatsoever. Perhaps your being in a relationship during this temporary crisis is likely not going to be helpful unless you meet an empath. Empathic men are rare. In fact I have never met one and I was in the music business for a long time.

Right now I am going to focus on face and body improvements while working on remedying my hair. Little tweeks can make a huge difference. Can you do the same type of things while you are repairing your hair?

How long is your hair right now?

Sending blessings your way. :blossom:

Thank you so so much.. .. Maybe I can send you some pictures..but I don't know how to post here.. I can't seem to upload from my PC.. The longest strands of my hair are down to my waste and below.. but the thinning at the bottom is so severe that they look like a few strands with no body.. the rest of my hair.. the thickest part is down to my bra strap.. but I have noticed that the top of my head has a lot of little hair sticking up, so I am worried that my hair is breaking high up the shaft. I am so distressed I don't know what to do.. I'm scared.. I did think about joining a gym to try and move the focus from my hair.. although it's hard to think about anything else at the moment..is there a way to send a private message on this forum?

Cate36
December 2nd, 2018, 03:45 PM
Thank you xx . I'm so sorry to hear of your condition.. I know things could be worst.. I just wish I could see some hope. It just feels like I am on a downward spiral with no way to stop falling..

Cate36
December 2nd, 2018, 03:46 PM
Thank you xx . I'm so sorry to hear of your condition.. I know things could be worst.. I just wish I could see some hope. It just feels like I am on a downward spiral with no way to stop falling..

(reply to Lapushka)

Cate36
December 2nd, 2018, 03:51 PM
Hang in there! When I came here my hair was ungodly damaged. It broke off from my hips to my armpits. It'll get there, just microtrim, be gentle with it, and understand that the damage is done, so all you can do is focus on taking good care of the new growth.

The problem with micro trimming is that the hairs are broken all over... at different lengths.. it's not just the ends.. and I don't know how best to fix that .. it's chemical hair cuts.. hair sticking up down the shaft as little bits stop at different lengths.. Some of the hairs that come out are strong, others break in my hand.. but a lot of short hairs come out of my hair. and I'm thinking that is breakage as short hair never used to all from my head.. it was all long hair..

I am so grateful for all your replies.. really grateful.. I really need help..

lapushka
December 2nd, 2018, 03:57 PM

It's OK, don't feel bad. Just keep focusing on the positives.

MusicalSpoons
December 2nd, 2018, 03:59 PM
It sounds like you're trying to do as much as possible to protect the hair you have left, which is great - and you've come to the right place for good advice. One thing I want to point out is that you know what caused it, and you know that the new growth will be really healthy. Often people come here trying to work out why their hair is very brittle or shedding or whatever, but you know the reason for yours so you also know you don't have to worry about it being an ongoing thing :)

For a while you will be taking care of two different types of hair, almost, but once you really start to see and feel the healthy new growth please take that as encouragement to keep going, keep being patient, and don't give up! :flower:

Cate36
December 2nd, 2018, 07:09 PM
It sounds like you're trying to do as much as possible to protect the hair you have left, which is great - and you've come to the right place for good advice. One thing I want to point out is that you know what caused it, and you know that the new growth will be really healthy. Often people come here trying to work out why their hair is very brittle or shedding or whatever, but you know the reason for yours so you also know you don't have to worry about it being an ongoing thing :)

For a while you will be taking care of two different types of hair, almost, but once you really start to see and feel the healthy new growth please take that as encouragement to keep going, keep being patient, and don't give up! :flower:

Thanks so so much.

I wanted to ask you guys a couple of questions... I really don't want to make a move without advice from this forum!...

At the moment I do have a couple of products in my hair.. a line in Australia called Davroe.. "http://www.davroe.com/ . I use their leave in conditioner. But nothing else significant..

I am thinking about not washing my hair for an extended period of time.. and just spritzing it with water when it needs reviving and using the khairpep serum if needed... http://www.khairpep.com/. Trying not to brush it too often.. just once a day perhaps to remove the tangles, then spritzing it with water to try and get rid of the frizz that comes from brushing curly hair.. is this recommended? My hair is so dry, it doesn't really need washing much.. although before this drama, I used to wash it daily.. and when I had the henna in.. well.. sometimes 5/6 times a day I was so frantic to get the clown orange out..

FYI my hair is fine and curly.. very very fragile since the damage.. but you're right.. the new hair coming through is in great condition.. I'm struggling to see how fast it is growing though with the breakage.. I've never paid much attention before..

I'm going to see these guys today https://www.terreamer.com.au/pages/hair-repair-experts . but it seems they only offer keratin treatments and I am wondering if it is wise to keep getting them or not..? I really don't want to make any more mistakes and wondering if I should just leave it alone completely.. ?.. I'll update you later..

Once again.. thank you! X

Cate36
December 3rd, 2018, 02:57 AM
Thanks so so much.

I wanted to ask you guys a couple of questions... I really don't want to make a move without advice from this forum!...

At the moment I do have a couple of products in my hair.. a line in Australia called Davroe.. "http://www.davroe.com/ . I use their leave in conditioner. But nothing else significant..

I am thinking about not washing my hair for an extended period of time.. and just spritzing it with water when it needs reviving and using the khairpep serum if needed... http://www.khairpep.com/. Trying not to brush it too often.. just once a day perhaps to remove the tangles, then spritzing it with water to try and get rid of the frizz that comes from brushing curly hair.. is this recommended? My hair is so dry, it doesn't really need washing much.. although before this drama, I used to wash it daily.. and when I had the henna in.. well.. sometimes 5/6 times a day I was so frantic to get the clown orange out..

FYI my hair is fine and curly.. very very fragile since the damage.. but you're right.. the new hair coming through is in great condition.. I'm struggling to see how fast it is growing though with the breakage.. I've never paid much attention before..

I'm going to see these guys today https://www.terreamer.com.au/pages/hair-repair-experts . but it seems they only offer keratin treatments and I am wondering if it is wise to keep getting them or not..? I really don't want to make any more mistakes and wondering if I should just leave it alone completely.. ?.. I'll update you later..

Once again.. thank you! X

Went to the clinic I linked above.. If anyone is in Australia and looking for help with damage, I can only say they were amazing.. Transformed my hair from the time I walked in to the time I walked out. The lady really knew what she was talking about.. recognised I had too much protein.. infused my hair with moisture from essential oils that have made it smell amazing.. and put me on a program to see her every two weeks to get it back to good condition. I'll see how I feel in a few days to see how things go with the dryness, but she did a miracle with what was there today..

Ylva
December 3rd, 2018, 03:55 AM
Went to the clinic I linked above.. If anyone is in Australia and looking for help with damage, I can only say they were amazing.. Transformed my hair from the time I walked in to the time I walked out. The lady really knew what she was talking about.. recognised I had too much protein.. infused my hair with moisture from essential oils that have made it smell amazing.. and put me on a program to see her every two weeks to get it back to good condition. I'll see how I feel in a few days to see how things go with the dryness, but she did a miracle with what was there today..

Happy to hear you liked the results and that it's a continuous thing to give you support with your hair and help you feel happier about it. Have you figured out how to post pictures on the forum? I would love to see before and after pics of your hair! You can upload them to an image hosting site like http://tinypic.com/ , copy the photo URL and post it here using the 'Insert Image' function.

lapushka
December 3rd, 2018, 07:25 AM
If I were in your shoes, I would stop going to hairdressers or other people. But that's me, I like to deal with damage myself. And always have!

I think it really would be beneficial to just deal with this on your own and baby your hair back to health slowly. Nothing good can happen from fast fixes either, IMMHO.

Sparkles122
December 3rd, 2018, 08:29 AM
If I were in your shoes, I would stop going to hairdressers or other people. But that's me, I like to deal with damage myself. And always have!

I think it really would be beneficial to just deal with this on your own and baby your hair back to health slowly. Nothing good can happen from fast fixes either, IMMHO.

I’m going to agree with this. I am absolutely done with hairdressers

lapushka
December 3rd, 2018, 09:03 AM
I’m going to agree with this. I am absolutely done with hairdressers

I am too; haven't gone to one in years now. I did have a perm done while I was on this forum (and I actually liked it), but that was a number of years ago and it came with the necessary damage, so; never again. Curls are oddly easier to deal with for me than my own texture.

aethyra
December 3rd, 2018, 09:24 AM
Hi Cate! Read your responsive post. I too am new to the site and am still getting acquainted with posting rules. I do know that certain features like PM'ing and posting photos will not be allowed until you have posted a certain amount of times. But I have seen new members upload phitos to web based image hosting sites and directing interested parties to links to those photos. You could do this for now then remove the photos after we have seen them. You have attracted responses in this thread from some of the most helpful members on the site, such as Lapushka. You have a base of amazing hair therapists now. Be encouraged. :o... Photos will help for these members to refine their advice to suit your situation.

Cate36
December 3rd, 2018, 02:23 PM
I am too; haven't gone to one in years now. I did have a perm done while I was on this forum (and I actually liked it), but that was a number of years ago and it came with the necessary damage, so; never again. Curls are oddly easier to deal with for me than my own texture.

Trust me, before this episode, I NEVER went to hair dressers.. ever.. not a chance.. I didn't even trim my hair itself.. just left it to grow. I went once in 2015 when it had gone past my bum.. and my friend, who is a hair dresser, had to cut it a millimetre at a time until she got to my waste.. I was so scared she would cut too much off. My hair was in such good condition then.. thick, long.. amazing.

But the lady that saw me yesterday was not a hairdresser, she specialises only in damaged hair.. and develops products to repair..I was blown away with what she did.. completely.. amazing.. and all natural.

There is such a gap in the market for this.. I would much rather do things myself, but I've tried and tried and tried to repair the damage and get my hair looking better, and it's just been getting progressively worst. The products on the shelf in hair shops (hair warehouse etc), or even on hairdressers shelves, were not doing it for me.

There is a massive gap in the market for hair specialists that deal with damaged hair. I called a tribologist and was told they couldn't help . they only deal with hair loss. Some salons told me there was nothing they could do.. and to just wash it with fancy shampoo and conditioner.. The salon I was going to, really had no other option but the Bhave treatment, and yet it was too much protein for my hair..

I've oiled it myself.. but not had the results that I got yesterday from this lady.. She warned me not to do any more Keratin repair treatments in salons (bhave).. she said that even though they specify that they do not contain formaldehyde, it's incorrect - there are loop holes in the way they test it to get around it.. whether that is correct or not I don't know.. all I know, is that she knew what to do, she promised I wouldn't walk out without great hair... she didn't promise it would be fixed in one session.. she said it will take time.. but..at least I'm on the right track now..

AS I said, before this, I never trusted hairdressers, would far rather do it myself. I have the same issue with doctors.. But things got so bad, that I'm truly glad to have someone who is using natural products, and is an expert in hair, how it is structured, what it needs etc.. taking care of it for me..

Cate36
December 3rd, 2018, 02:31 PM

Understand your point, but she didn't promise a fast fix. She promised improvements over time with products, essential oils, she has created, that would restore my hair, help it grow, and get it back to health.,seriously. .. I almost cried at the end my hair was SO soft.

Doing it on my own and seeing it get worst, was like trying to get to some obscure place without a map. I felt like I was falling over a cliff with no way to stop.. I mean how much advice is out there! This forum is great, but it's also what started me using the hair colour removers that caused the damage in the first place.. in trying to remove henna.. I overdosed, but even so.

There are SO many sites, videos etc about how to heal damaged hair. I've watched them all.

So much conflicting advice.

You don't know if your hair needs fancy products, protein, moisture, oils, keratin treatments.. no poo.. do poo.. poo once a week.. poo every day.. poo with baking soda, water, vinegar, etc etc... and then the only way you learn, is through trial and error which can make the whole thing worst in the process..

I think once you find what works, then that's great.. but getting on the right track sooner rather than later is the aim..

lapushka
December 3rd, 2018, 02:36 PM
Understand your point, but she didn't promise a fast fix. She promised improvements over time with products, essential oils, she has created, that would restore my hair, help it grow, and get it back to health.,seriously. .. I almost cried at the end my hair was SO soft.

Doing it on my own and seeing it get worst, was like trying to get to some obscure place without a map. I felt like I was falling over a cliff with no way to stop.. I mean how much advice is out there! This forum is great, but it's also what started me using the hair colour removers that caused the damage in the first place.. in trying to remove henna.. I overdosed, but even so.

There are SO many sites, videos etc about how to heal damaged hair. I've watched them all.

So much conflicting advice.

You don't know if your hair needs fancy products, protein, moisture, oils, keratin treatments.. no poo.. do poo.. poo once a week.. poo every day.. poo with baking soda, water, vinegar, etc etc... and then the only way you learn, is through trial and error which can make the whole thing worst in the process..

I think once you find what works, then that's great.. but getting on the right track sooner rather than later is the aim..

Well I do hope you're on the right track and that this is not just costing you a lot of money... because what you learn here is priceless and can't beat what you often have to spend!

Hope your hair gets better; good luck!

Cate36
December 3rd, 2018, 03:02 PM
Hi Cate! Read your responsive post. I too am new to the site and am still getting acquainted with posting rules. I do know that certain features like PM'ing and posting photos will not be allowed until you have posted a certain amount of times. But I have seen new members upload phitos to web based image hosting sites and directing interested parties to links to those photos. You could do this for now then remove the photos after we have seen them. You have attracted responses in this thread from some of the most helpful members on the site, such as Lapushka. You have a base of amazing hair therapists now. Be encouraged. :o... Photos will help for these members to refine their advice to suit your situation.

OK will try upload some pics, but want to remove them once you have viewed can you let me know and I'll remove them? As I only want people here to see..

This is after the henna, but in the process of trying to remove it.. washing with shampoo basically, over and over and over.. so hair is starting to get damaged, but still fine.. http://tinypic.com/m/k9to4h/1

This is after the real damage had started.. but not how bad it got.. http://tinypic.com/m/k9to4k/1

This is after the treatment yesterday.. sorry the pic is not very clear.. http://tinypic.com/m/k9to4x/1

Sparkles122
December 3rd, 2018, 04:39 PM
Cate...your hair is beautiful!

lapushka
December 3rd, 2018, 05:04 PM
But Cate, your hair is gorgeous! :) Often we think it's far worse than it is!

Cate36
December 3rd, 2018, 05:37 PM
But Cate, your hair is gorgeous! :) Often we think it's far worse than it is!

Thank you so much.. that helps to get reassurance.. I'm really grateful to everyone here.. very grateful for your advice. The problem is that it is now SO fine.. it's like each individual hair has thinned from what it used to be a few months ago..and a few years ago it was thicker than it is now, so I know I have had thinning to some extent..

I'm still getting hairs that fall out that are so fragile, they break in my hand with only a tiny bit of pressure... I'm not sure how to fix that. Also.. the ends of each hair glue together.. like velcro.. so I have to seperate them with my hands all the time...

The treatment helped for sure..The lady at the hair clinic.. said before she can strengthen it, she has to get moisture back into it with a few treatments.. so I guess it will take time. Until then.. I guess I just need to treat it very carefully..

Can you recommend a really good hairbrush I can use? I have a tangle teaser.. someone suggested I get a mason.. boar bristle? Should I avoid brushing it? I'm not going to wash it for a while now.. I'll wait until the next treatment to try and keep the softness in it from the first..

Again.. very grateful to everyone here. You're a great community and very supportive..

MusicalSpoons
December 3rd, 2018, 05:58 PM
Oh your hair looks pretty! It's understandable feeling terrible about it when it's not as healthy or resilient as before, but it you hadn't told us and just shown pictures I certainly wouldn't have guessed what your hair's been through. Plus curly hair is a lot more forgiving of thinner ends and breakage than straight or even wavy hair - again, I wouldn't have known about that without you telling us :)

For delicate, fragile hair please run a mile from boar bristle brushes! I can't actually recommend any good ones as I've only ever used one decent brush (Denman), and even then it's only gentle on the hair once I've already detangled carefully with a wide-toothed comb. I have read lots of good things about the Tangle Teezer on here though :thumbsup: also the Wet Brush, if you're finding the TT causing you any problems. One tip I can give for when you are brushing is to stop when you feel a knot, gently detangle it with your fingers, then resume brushing - the TT is supposed to eliminate the need for that, but it's one way you can be sure you're being gentle with your hair :)

Edit to add: there is a balance for how often to brush, which is determined by your own hair. You need to detangle often enough that knots don't form (if possible) but obviously you don't want to do it too often because it can cause mechanical damage. The right balance is when any damage from brushing/combing/otherwise detangling is outweighed by the damage you would have incurred from trying to get out knots if you hadn't detangled.
How often do you usually brush at the moment? How is your hair when you do - do you think you brush often enough? It also depends how you wear your hair on a daily basis; most people find when they keep it up in a protective style (e.g. a bun) that they have to detangle much less often than if they were to wear it down or in an unprotective style (e.g. a ponytail).

Cate36
December 3rd, 2018, 06:41 PM
Oh your hair looks pretty! It's understandable feeling terrible about it when it's not as healthy or resilient as before, but it you hadn't told us and just shown pictures I certainly wouldn't have guessed what your hair's been through. Plus curly hair is a lot more forgiving of thinner ends and breakage than straight or even wavy hair - again, I wouldn't have known about that without you telling us :)

For delicate, fragile hair please run a mile from boar bristle brushes! I can't actually recommend any good ones as I've only ever used one decent brush (Denman), and even then it's only gentle on the hair once I've already detangled carefully with a wide-toothed comb. I have read lots of good things about the Tangle Teezer on here though :thumbsup: also the Wet Brush, if you're finding the TT causing you any problems. One tip I can give for when you are brushing is to stop when you feel a knot, gently detangle it with your fingers, then resume brushing - the TT is supposed to eliminate the need for that, but it's one way you can be sure you're being gentle with your hair :)

Edit to add: there is a balance for how often to brush, which is determined by your own hair. You need to detangle often enough that knots don't form (if possible) but obviously you don't want to do it too often because it can cause mechanical damage. The right balance is when any damage from brushing/combing/otherwise detangling is outweighed by the damage you would have incurred from trying to get out knots if you hadn't detangled.
How often do you usually brush at the moment? How is your hair when you do - do you think you brush often enough? It also depends how you wear your hair on a daily basis; most people find when they keep it up in a protective style (e.g. a bun) that they have to detangle much less often than if they were to wear it down or in an unprotective style (e.g. a ponytail).

That is super helpful.. I was considering spending heaps on a mason brush!

At the moment, I brush daily.. although since the treatment yesterday, I'm just using fingers to seperate the ends..

My old routine was to never ever brush until I washed it.. then I would put a leave in conditioner in and use this type of brush http://www.threadsbeautybar.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Vented.jpg - then dry, mousse, scrunch, and go..

I never brushed in between to keep curls defined..

But since the damage I have noticed it gets far more tangled.. the fine hairs seem to matt together.. they are so fragile compared to how it used to be.. and now I am not washing it as often..

If I brush.. it frizzes.. it's hard to see on the photos, but individual hairs have all broken at different lengths.. so they look frazzled s.. they stick up.. i.e. if I pull out a lock of hair, it looks like a heap of split ends..as little hairs stick up along the shaft.. but in fact, they are individual fine hairs that stop at different lengths.. (at least I think they are.. i.e. I am assuming my whole head is not split ends that have travelled all the way to the root..)

Really appreciate the advice..

Cate36
December 3rd, 2018, 06:44 PM

At the moment, I brush daily.. although since the treatment yesterday, I'm just using fingers to seperate the ends..

My old routine was to never ever brush until I washed it.. then I would put a leave in conditioner in and use this type of brush http://www.threadsbeautybar.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/Vented.jpg - then dry, mousse, scrunch, and go..

But since the damage I have noticed it gets far more tangled.. the fine hairs seem to matt together.. they are so fragile compared to how it used to be.. and now I am not washing it as often..

If I brush.. it frizzes.. it's hard to see on the photos, but individual hairs have all broken at different lengths.. so they look frazzled s.. they stick up.. i.e. if I pull out a lock of hair, it looks like a heap of split ends..as little hairs stick up along the shaft.. but in fact, they are individual fine hairs that stop at different lengths.. (at least I think they are.. i.e. I am assuming my whole head is not split ends that have travelled all the way to the root..)

Oh BTW, I wear my hair down always... I used to wear it up all the time, but when I went to have it cut in 2015, the hairdresser said it had thinned and she thought that was the weight of my hair and the hairband adding to it.. so since then, I've always worn it down..

Ylva
December 3rd, 2018, 07:51 PM
Cate, your hair is really beautiful! And really it doesn't look so bad in the pic with the most damage either. Just a bit dry. My own hair has looked far, far worse at times!

aethyra
December 3rd, 2018, 08:00 PM
I love your hair!! And I am very excited about your new treatment!

Cate36
December 3rd, 2018, 08:24 PM
Thanks so much.. I think it just scares me because it feels so much thinner than it did .. although I had also got use to the thicker strands from the henna which has now gone completely which may add to it.... I wish I knew a natural way to thicken the strands..

Ylva
December 3rd, 2018, 08:36 PM
Maybe your hair just feels thinner because the strands are smoother and thus laying closer to one another? Damaged hair tends to be more voluminous, because there's more space between the strands.

Cate36
December 3rd, 2018, 09:06 PM
Maybe your hair just feels thinner because the strands are smoother and thus laying closer to one another? Damaged hair tends to be more voluminous, because there's more space between the strands.

Not really, the reason I knew it was so damaged was because gradually when washing it in the shower, it got thinner and thinner .. the length mainly, it was no longer a thick as it was.. breakage and maybe hair loss too? I don't know.. breakage mostly I think, because I think it is the same on top of my head.. and I don't have bald spots..

MusicalSpoons
December 4th, 2018, 01:33 AM

It sounds like you're being sensible with the brushing, and finger detangling is about as gentle as you can be, which is great!

I just want to reassure you that the part I've bolded is actually completely normal! Hairs all over our heads are all at different lengths because they're all at different parts of their growth cycle at any one time; we just don't tend to see that unless we're looking reasonably closely :) I'm not saying you don't have breakage, especially if you've seen other evidence of it, but having hairs all different lengths is not in itself a cause for alarm. It might be that your hair laid better together when it was in better condition so you didn't notice it so much, but it does probably mean the breakage isn't quite as bad as it seems.

(You also mentioned frizz before - there are quite a few threads on here where people have been worried, but frizz can be totally normal too. This is what my hair does (https://farm1.staticflickr.com/925/26674044047_c873f910ae_z.jpg) when it dries after washing!) In your case is probably is simply because your hair needs more moisture, which would explain why spritzing it helps (I assume it does, from one of your previous posts).

Oh BTW, I wear my hair down always... I used to wear it up all the time, but when I went to have it cut in 2015, the hairdresser said it had thinned and she thought that was the weight of my hair and the hairband adding to it.. so since then, I've always worn it down..

While she was most likely right about the hairband (hair elastics were what destroyed my ends before I found LHC) it's much more protective to wear your hair up, but secured with something hair-friendly. That's why hairsticks and hair forks are so common on here, and other hair-friendly things like spin pins, claw clips, etc.

Cate36
December 4th, 2018, 03:34 AM
It sounds like you're being sensible with the brushing, and finger detangling is about as gentle as you can be, which is great!

I just want to reassure you that the part I've bolded is actually completely normal! Hairs all over our heads are all at different lengths because they're all at different parts of their growth cycle at any one time; we just don't tend to see that unless we're looking reasonably closely :) I'm not saying you don't have breakage, especially if you've seen other evidence of it, but having hairs all different lengths is not in itself a cause for alarm. It might be that your hair laid better together when it was in better condition so you didn't notice it so much, but it does probably mean the breakage isn't quite as bad as it seems.

(You also mentioned frizz before - there are quite a few threads on here where people have been worried, but frizz can be totally normal too. This is what my hair does (https://farm1.staticflickr.com/925/26674044047_c873f910ae_z.jpg) when it dries after washing!) In your case is probably is simply because your hair needs more moisture, which would explain why spritzing it helps (I assume it does, from one of your previous posts).

While she was most likely right about the hairband (hair elastics were what destroyed my ends before I found LHC) it's much more protective to wear your hair up, but secured with something hair-friendly. That's why hairsticks and hair forks are so common on here, and other hair-friendly things like spin pins, claw clips, etc.

That's so so helpful - thank you..

The other thing I was worried about that you may be able to help with, is that the individual strands feel so much thinner.. can that have happened? Or you think it's just because of the dryness not allowing it to sit properly..?

I have always used scrunchies...but she still seemed to think it was the weight of hair.. that had caused the thinning..

It could be diet? .. I went for a blood test a few weeks ago and was found deficient in D, B12, and Iron.. everything else is fine..I'm a vegetarian so.. now taking vitamins..

MusicalSpoons
December 4th, 2018, 04:40 AM
That's so so helpful - thank you..

The other thing I was worried about that you may be able to help with, is that the individual strands feel so much thinner.. can that have happened? Or you think it's just because of the dryness not allowing it to sit properly..?

I have always used scrunchies...but she still seemed to think it was the weight of hair.. that had caused the thinning..

It could be diet? .. I went for a blood test a few weeks ago and was found deficient in D, B12, and Iron.. everything else is fine..I'm a vegetarian so.. now taking vitamins..

Oh good grief. No, your hair most certainly will not have been too heavy :rolleyes: :shake: this is one good example why many of us on here do not trust hairdressers!* ;)

As for thinning of the hairs themselves caused by damage from the henna removal, I don't know for certain. Other people should be able to help on that front. Although those deficiencies can cause thinning hair too - *can*. Not 'definitely have / definitely will', but can. Definitely worth checking with repeat blood tests in a few months' time to see if the vitamins you're taking are helping :)

[*I wondered where the heck this idea may have come from, so I did a little digging. There is something called traction alopecia, which is caused by repeated or constant strain on the same hairs in the same follicles over very long periods of time - but we're talking painfully tight hairstyles, the kind of tension that you'd know wasn't doing any good. I have seen articles about traction alopecia assert that the weight of very long hair can cause it, but the only single reference to any evidence Was. Not. Evidence. It was referring to 2 young Sikh men whose daily wearing of a turban, combined with the tight twisting of the hair for the style they wore both day and night, caused hair loss along the front of their hair line. This is not evidence that the weight of very long hair causes traction alopecia :brickwall]

Edit: 'Oh good grief' was aimed at your hairdresser, not you!

Cate36
December 4th, 2018, 04:45 AM
Thanks so much for the replies.. what about using cassia to thicken the strands... ? Is that easy/recommended? I loved how thick my hair was after henna... I just hated the orange....

MusicalSpoons
December 4th, 2018, 06:08 AM
Yes, that's definitely worth investigating. It's not as long-lasting as henna, as far as I understand, but it also can't really go wrong :grin: here's the Cassia thread: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=406
I think sedr is supposed to be conditioning too, and maybe catnip? I don't know how they compare with cassia.

lapushka
December 4th, 2018, 06:27 AM
Thanks so much for the replies.. what about using cassia to thicken the strands... ? Is that easy/recommended? I loved how thick my hair was after henna... I just hated the orange....

I tried cassia, but that didn't have the thickening strand effect that henna had, not on my hair at least.

You are a light blonde, and I am warning you cassia will leave a yellow tinge on the hair, on hair that is that light.

I would spend some time reading up on several threads, because (no offence), you do sound like a newbie with lots of advice still "missing" and I think it's better to get it from us than from anyone "doing" your hair ATM. Just my thing with hairdressers or others that "treat" hair for lots of money often in return.

I just hope that the lady you are going to doesn't turn out to be another disappointment, because frankly your hair looks NICE! And with a little babying yourself you can go a *long* way. I don't think you need help from someone charging God knows what.

But we're all different, I guess. :flower:

Cate36
December 4th, 2018, 02:48 PM
I tried cassia, but that didn't have the thickening strand effect that henna had, not on my hair at least.

You are a light blonde, and I am warning you cassia will leave a yellow tinge on the hair, on hair that is that light.

I would spend some time reading up on several threads, because (no offence), you do sound like a newbie with lots of advice still "missing" and I think it's better to get it from us than from anyone "doing" your hair ATM. Just my thing with hairdressers or others that "treat" hair for lots of money often in return.

I just hope that the lady you are going to doesn't turn out to be another disappointment, because frankly your hair looks NICE! And with a little babying yourself you can go a *long* way. I don't think you need help from someone charging God knows what.

But we're all different, I guess. :flower:

I'm a complete newby.. I always took my hair for granted.. just used shampoo everyday, brushed, filled it with mousse and went.. this is the first time I've had to really take care of it. I've been reading tons of posts on this forum so more than willing to take your advice and others! Any advice is most welcome.. I really do appreciate it all..

lapushka
December 4th, 2018, 04:17 PM
I'm a complete newby.. I always took my hair for granted.. just used shampoo everyday, brushed, filled it with mousse and went.. this is the first time I've had to really take care of it. I've been reading tons of posts on this forum so more than willing to take your advice and others! Any advice is most welcome.. I really do appreciate it all..

I do know you're only trying to do what's best and what feels best for your hair. But a good deep treatment and serum can get you *miles* on your journey already, and it's something you can do in between these treatments even.

*Wednesday*
December 4th, 2018, 06:07 PM

Are you a vegan or vegetarian? I'm an lacto/ovo vegetarian and eat eggs and some dairy. If you eat eggs a few times a week will help with B12. You should be on a B12 supplement especially if you are vegan. That is no joke. You can get permanent nerve damage over time, nevermind your hair.

Cate36
December 5th, 2018, 12:02 AM
Are you a vegan or vegetarian? I'm an lacto/ovo vegetarian and eat eggs and some dairy. If you eat eggs a few times a week will help with B12. You should be on a B12 supplement especially if you are vegan. That is no joke. You can get permanent nerve damage over time, nevermind your hair.

Well I was a full on fruitarian before this happened.. and a bad one.. i.e. I could live on watermelon for months at a time and little else (aside from milk in coffee). Now I've gone back to be vege for the hair problem, with eggs, yogurt, nuts,... but I am truly wondering whether I should eat fish for a short while until things stabilise? I'm back on a host of vitamins.. iron, b, c, multi, zinc, magnesium, flaxseed oil etc ...

Any advice?

Lady Stardust
December 5th, 2018, 03:14 AM
Well I was a full on fruitarian before this happened.. and a bad one.. i.e. I could live on watermelon for months at a time and little else (aside from milk in coffee). Now I've gone back to be vege for the hair problem, with eggs, yogurt, nuts,... but I am truly wondering whether I should eat fish for a short while until things stabilise? I'm back on a host of vitamins.. iron, b, c, multi, zinc, magnesium, flaxseed oil etc ...

Any advice?

It’s good that you’re now taking vitamins, and you should keep those up, however it’s vital that you eat a balanced diet because your body will absorb nutrients from food better than it will from tablets.

I’ve been vegetarian for 25 years and have can vouch that it’s possible to eat a well balanced diet, although I do also take a multivitamin and Omega 3 tablets. I was deficient in B12 about 20 years ago, when my diet wasn’t very good and before I started taking multivitamins. I haven’t had a problem since and had good iron levels even throughout pregnancy.

Have a look at a vegetarian food pyramid, it will give you an idea of what foods to include and how much you need. Here’s one (but I haven’t had a close look at it - just did a quick google search!)
http://www.vegetariannutrition.org/6icvn/food-pyramid.pdf

I think that paying more attention to your diet will be (a) fun! Lots of lovely food to explore, (b) great for your health including your hair and (c) good for taking your mind off your hair.

*Wednesday*
December 5th, 2018, 07:48 AM

Any advice?

I want to state, I’m not a nutritionist. I’ve read people’s testimonies of former fruitarians and it should be of no surprise. Seems to be a popular trend lately but a very dangerous lifestyle to the body which most people abandon sooner or later. The body is literally starving. Fruitarian diets are not nutritionally healthy long term. It’s high in sugar and lacks essential nutrients and fats your body needs for organ function (which includes the brain, eyes and skin). Most people on fruitarian diets long terms have Iodine, B12, zinc, vitamin D deficiencies among many others. Most Fruitarians (all the cases I’ve read) long term encounter tooth loss from lack of minerals which lead to teeth breakage and also tooth decay from the high sugar. Also, many women report an erratic or loss of their menstrual cycle. I’m glad you are no longer fruitarian. Fruit is great, but part of a well-balanced diet.

Having said that and speaking as a 10+ year vegetarian, please don’t’ take offense. Vegetarian diets (Incl. vegan, raw vegan, fruitarian) are extremely dangerous if you are eating incorrectly. You have went fruitarian (which more raw vegans trend to), to vegetarian and considering eating fish to “stabilize.” If you were eating properly and educated yourself about a vegetarian diet, you would not need to stabilize. If you are vitamin deficient you were and are doing something wrong or you need to eat a little meat in your diet. When one decides to go vegan or vegetarian you need to properly prepare your meals and actually be eating a mix vegetables (also green leafy), whole grains and legumes (beans, lentils) and I would highly suggest eggs if you like them. Analog meats (fake meat) should be a rare occasion.

If you are an ethical vegetarian resorting to eating fish out of desperation, amp up the eggs at least 3 times (scrambled, boiled) a week and see how that works. They are nutrient dense with protein and amino acids. If you must and are craving fish and you feel your body needs it, include fish maybe 3 times a month. Not breaded fish sticks but rather salmon, tuna, cod which are more fatty. Fish is good for you but you have to watch the mercury.

When you are healthy, your hair is healthy which means your internal organs are FIRST healthy. That is most important. Be careful if you are watching YT videos of self-proclaimed vegan or vegetarian gurus. They don’t have your best health at heart.

blackgothicdoll
December 5th, 2018, 09:55 AM
I've never heard of fruitarian. Is this a trend or something? I'm pesco-ovo-vegeterian and I have no issues at all. I work out 4 times a week and I feel incredible. You can be a regular omnivore and have a dangerous diet, especially as an American, if you consume only fast food for example you're not much healthier than and uneducated vegan in reality. Know your AMDRs for your macronutrients and micronutrients, use a diet tracker and make sure you're on the spectrum.

I add fish to my diet because of the good fats. Avocados and oils (to cook with) can also contribute to your fat intake.

I am curious about your dietary choices. Is there a reason you chose fruitarian?

*Wednesday*
December 5th, 2018, 01:10 PM
I've never heard of fruitarian. Is this a trend or something? ....

Fruitarian diet is not a new trend. It’s been around for a very long time. There have even been small and obscure fruitarian communities in the late 1800's and dating back to BCE. Today, they have what is called a Woodstock Fruit Festival. It falls under the raw vegan diet. Eating mainly organic fruit, even stricter fruitarians will only eat fruit once it has fallen from the tree knowing the tree was not harmed in any way. They forage.
What has garnered popularity within the last decade is with Freelee the Banana Girl and ‘30 Bananas a Day’ or her ‘Raw till 4.’ She was a big YT personality and reached a large audience, especially in the US. With social media, the fruitarian diet has become more known

Cate36
December 5th, 2018, 03:20 PM
I want to state, I’m not a nutritionist. I’ve read people’s testimonies of former fruitarians and it should be of no surprise. Seems to be a popular trend lately but a very dangerous lifestyle to the body which most people abandon sooner or later. The body is literally starving. Fruitarian diets are not nutritionally healthy long term. It’s high in sugar and lacks essential nutrients and fats your body needs for organ function (which includes the brain, eyes and skin). Most people on fruitarian diets long terms have Iodine, B12, zinc, vitamin D deficiencies among many others. Most Fruitarians (all the cases I’ve read) long term encounter tooth loss from lack of minerals which lead to teeth breakage and also tooth decay from the high sugar. Also, many women report an erratic or loss of their menstrual cycle. I’m glad you are no longer fruitarian. Fruit is great, but part of a well-balanced diet.

Having said that and speaking as a 10+ year vegetarian, please don’t’ take offense. Vegetarian diets (Incl. vegan, raw vegan, fruitarian) are extremely dangerous if you are eating incorrectly. You have went fruitarian (which more raw vegans trend to), to vegetarian and considering eating fish to “stabilize.” If you were eating properly and educated yourself about a vegetarian diet, you would not need to stabilize. If you are vitamin deficient you were and are doing something wrong or you need to eat a little meat in your diet. When one decides to go vegan or vegetarian you need to properly prepare your meals and actually be eating a mix vegetables (also green leafy), whole grains and legumes (beans, lentils) and I would highly suggest eggs if you like them. Analog meats (fake meat) should be a rare occasion.

If you are an ethical vegetarian resorting to eating fish out of desperation, amp up the eggs at least 3 times (scrambled, boiled) a week and see how that works. They are nutrient dense with protein and amino acids. If you must and are craving fish and you feel your body needs it, include fish maybe 3 times a month. Not breaded fish sticks but rather salmon, tuna, cod which are more fatty. Fish is good for you but you have to watch the mercury.

When you are healthy, your hair is healthy which means your internal organs are FIRST healthy. That is most important. Be careful if you are watching YT videos of self-proclaimed vegan or vegetarian gurus. They don’t have your best health at heart.

That's helpful.. thanks.. yes I'm a bad person with my diet. I eat very healthy.. i.e. no additives, lots of water.. and when I first became a fruitarian for a while, my health was fantastic.. probably because it is full of water and easily absorbed nutrients from the fruit, which helps you detox.. now I realise how lazy I was with it.
I have read many blogs from athletes who are fruitarians who thrive, but I suspect they are very very careful to balance their diet with variety - i.e. 80 fruit 20 veg etc etc.. and who knows, maybe they are not being truthful.. at the moment, after being obsessive with it for two years, the hair drama has made me raise the white flag and beg for help.. so I'm willing to take any and all advice. I have been eating eggs daily for two weeks - at least 2 a day.. but I guess it will take time to see results..
I can't wait until my hair is strong and healthy, looks good, and I don't have to worry about it every day.. it's been such a long stint... I stressed over the orange henna colour for months... but now that has gone totally.. this is WAY worst..

MusicalSpoons
December 14th, 2018, 03:26 PM
Right, I'm replying here rather than derailing the other thread (hope you don't mind):

Thank you so much .. this helps for sure... I've never been so scared in my life as I have been these last two months.. :(

I think the worst thing about this is that you feel so out or control.. the hairdressers, potions, treatments etc.. are a way to get back the feeling of control and feel like I am doing something... but I agree with you totally :-( . Letting it go.. is the best thing I could do for now.. I could weep though.. I don't know how long I need to wait until I know if it is getting better or worst..

The only positive I can see, is growth.. I measuring from my fringe, which is making its way down my nose :(...

Growth is good, and you know the reason for the damage so you also know the growth is healthy. If - and I stress, *if* - you are shedding more, you can certainly pin down stress as the most likely culprit and know it will stop on its own, after the stress stops. So again, a self-limiting problem and therefore nothing to worry about (I do know it's easier said than done, though).

If it's about control, one way of taking back control is to make the decision to not let anxiety or obsessive tendencies to control you (I speak from experience). Or to limit yourself to x number of hairdresser visits per x amount of time, or limit how often you try something new - maybe, as you know the Olaplex helps, 'I won't try a new treatment until I've finished the bottle of Olaplex'. Take control by not acting on feeling desperate, and things will calm down :flowers:

Oh, also, re-reading a bit of this thread to catch myself up - you're taking control by sorting your nutrition out too. That will be very good for your hair too! :D

Cate36
December 14th, 2018, 05:03 PM
Right, I'm replying here rather than derailing the other thread (hope you don't mind):

Growth is good, and you know the reason for the damage so you also know the growth is healthy. If - and I stress, *if* - you are shedding more, you can certainly pin down stress as the most likely culprit and know it will stop on its own, after the stress stops. So again, a self-limiting problem and therefore nothing to worry about (I do know it's easier said than done, though).

If it's about control, one way of taking back control is to make the decision to not let anxiety or obsessive tendencies to control you (I speak from experience). Or to limit yourself to x number of hairdresser visits per x amount of time, or limit how often you try something new - maybe, as you know the Olaplex helps, 'I won't try a new treatment until I've finished the bottle of Olaplex'. Take control by not acting on feeling desperate, and things will calm down :flowers:

Oh, also, re-reading a bit of this thread to catch myself up - you're taking control by sorting your nutrition out too. That will be very good for your hair too! :D

Thank you so much.. going to send you a PM X