PDA

View Full Version : Decembeard. Styling and costuming?

cjk
November 29th, 2018, 08:42 PM
Decembeard is coming up in just over a week. And since I shaved the center of my mustache I'll be in a different category, full beard styled mustache, or whaler, depending on the competition categories.

But while just showing up is an option, one I've taken previously, costuming and "total look" often count for a lot with the judges.

Since last year I've lost a lot of weight and grown quite a lot of hair, and my beard is in better condition than ever. Which means I might as well have some fun with it. Went kilted one year. Could always do that again.

Anyone have any bright ideas on what I could wear? And how I could style the hair to show off the beard to its best effect?

https://i.imgur.com/UWeMm0v.jpg

cjk
November 29th, 2018, 08:44 PM
Forgot to give context. Decembeard is a beard competition hosted by beard clubs in the Dallas-Fort Worth, TX region. It's a national level competition and usually draws several hundred participants plus spectators.

zashin66
November 29th, 2018, 09:39 PM
I live just south of fort Worth. Could you give details of this event? Would love to try to be there to support you.

zashin66
November 29th, 2018, 09:40 PM
Decembeard is coming up in just over a week. And since I shaved the center of my mustache I'll be in a different category, full beard styled mustache, or whaler, depending on the competition categories.

But while just showing up is an option, one I've taken previously, costuming and "total look" often count for a lot with the judges.

Since last year I've lost a lot of weight and grown quite a lot of hair, and my beard is in better condition than ever. Which means I might as well have some fun with it. Went kilted one year. Could always do that again.

Anyone have any bright ideas on what I could wear? And how I could style the hair to show off the beard to its best effect?

https://i.imgur.com/UWeMm0v.jpg

How about micro braids with plaid and metal beeding peeking from under beard .

Corvana
November 29th, 2018, 10:42 PM
Oh hey the whiskey girl saloon isn't too far from me!

I have no ideas for styling your hair, but braids are always a favorite!

Lady Stardust
November 30th, 2018, 01:30 AM
I love how the colours in your beard stream out like sun rays. Your beard and your hair look magnificent.

Can you emphasise the sunburst effect somehow? Sorry I can’t think of how to do it myself. It reminds me of an Art Deco motif.

TreesOfEternity
November 30th, 2018, 02:30 AM
Sounds cool! :cheer: Since you may fit in the whaler cathegory I find this look so cool:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/sovietuk/3609577253

Pairing it with a low ponytail made with a wide tie can look great I think. And the dark colors would make a great contrast with your beard emphasizing it more.

cjk
November 30th, 2018, 04:36 AM
I love how the colours in your beard stream out like sun rays. Your beard and your hair look magnificent.

Can you emphasise the sunburst effect somehow? Sorry I can’t think of how to do it myself. It reminds me of an Art Deco motif.

That's a good idea! That inspires me.

No idea how, either, but that's something to think about.

The only thing that comes to mind is a freestyle look worn by Aarne Bielefeldt, but it's so distinctive that it would be an obvious ripoff.

I've got the right coloring. If I can't figure something out, I'll just do a Ragnar cosplay. Pretty sure I could pull that off in a week.

Lady Stardust
November 30th, 2018, 07:13 AM
That's a good idea! That inspires me.

No idea how, either, but that's something to think about.

The only thing that comes to mind is a freestyle look worn by Aarne Bielefeldt, but it's so distinctive that it would be an obvious ripoff.

I've got the right coloring. If I can't figure something out, I'll just do a Ragnar cosplay. Pretty sure I could pull that off in a week.

I looked up Aarne Bielefeldt, how cool :) But yes, very distinctive.

Something A-line would reflect the sun ray type lines. I keep thinking of a cloak, or Sherlock Holmes coat/cape combination. The other thing that comes to mind is a crown, because the rays remind me of the Statue of Liberty :)

Laura1986
November 30th, 2018, 08:03 AM
Ragnar cosplay sound like fun^^
If you want to go for a more polished look, here is an idea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitfield_Diffie#/media/File:Whitfield_Diffie_Royal_Society.jpg

lapushka
November 30th, 2018, 08:31 AM
Such a cool idea for a thread, cjk!

I would love to see all the beards here come out of the woodwork. :D

cjk
November 30th, 2018, 10:31 AM
Ragnar cosplay sound like fun^^
If you want to go for a more polished look, here is an idea: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whitfield_Diffie#/media/File:Whitfield_Diffie_Royal_Society.jpg

I've done distinguished. Never even placed. It's time to be loud.

browneyedsusan
November 30th, 2018, 12:38 PM
I'm kind of a creative lady, so a bunch of stuff jumped into my head!

Feel free to use/reject any ideas with gusto!
- Court jester with harlequin suit and bells in your beard
- ZZ top
- Viking braid(s) and beads
- Dwarven style from Hobbit movie -- they had some fantastic braided beards!
- the little drawing from "The Beard" poem by Shel Silverstein -- you'd need some extensions and a lot of nerve! lol!
- one of the old dudes in Harry Potter or Lord of the Rings

Have fun and let us know how it goes! :)

blackgothicdoll
November 30th, 2018, 12:55 PM
I'm having a hard time finding a picture, but the 'rays' on your beard are reminiscent of byzantine-era angel paintings (where the halo appears as a disk with rays in some instances). You could always dress as a seraph with a halo that compliments your beard. :D

cjk
December 1st, 2018, 12:29 PM
Got an idea I've not seen done, before. I'm rather flamboyant by my nature, I tend to stand out.

Bearded Bowie.

Can probably manage the hairstyle easily enough, but no idea how to do temporary color.

Gotta look like a Martian to pull it off.

Lady Stardust
December 1st, 2018, 12:35 PM
Got an idea I've not seen done, before. I'm rather flamboyant by my nature, I tend to stand out.

Bearded Bowie.

Can probably manage the hairstyle easily enough, but no idea how to do temporary color.

Gotta look like a Martian to pull it off.

I was going to say bearded Ziggy Stardust but thought you would think I was nuts! That’s what made me think of cloaks :) Tell me more, massive Bowie fan here...

cjk
December 1st, 2018, 12:50 PM
When asking for ideas, nuts isn't a problem. In fact, crazy can be a great jumping-off point for creative solutions.

As for how? I don't know yet.

Going to go hit the church clothes closet and see if I can find anything with which to work. Bowie's androgyny means a woman's blouse could be reworked, for instance. And I'm a good enough seamstress that this is possible.

Haven't had time for the idea to gel, yet.

But back to what I asked before. Color. Obviously I don't want to damage my hair, so is there any way to add color without damage? As a curly I already gel, so the styling won't be that big of a deal.

enting
December 1st, 2018, 12:53 PM
There are colored gels, but they don't always stay true and vibrant. There's hair chalk but I don't know how well beard hair will play with that, it can be drying.

cjk
December 1st, 2018, 01:14 PM
It is a beard competition. I am not coloring it or in any way changing it beyond some styling.

The head hair, however, is fair game.

https://gvacdn.akamaized.net/Assets/Images_Upload/2016/01/11/bowie0.jpg?maxheight=360&maxwidth=600&scale=both

Lady Stardust
December 1st, 2018, 01:29 PM
You might get some advice from this thread about colours? https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=125938

The wardrobe choices could be interesting!

ETA: Have you got a bright blue suit (Aladdin Sane / Pin Ups era)

The Man Who Fell to Earth is a great look, that hair was just amazing but I don’t know how you could do a blonde streak.

cjk
December 3rd, 2018, 02:30 PM
ETA: Have you got a bright blue suit (Aladdin Sane / Pin Ups era)

https://i.imgur.com/3HN2cKm_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Adjusting for my coloration. Aladdin Sane.

Costuming comes next.

Lady Stardust
December 3rd, 2018, 02:46 PM
Great, I can’t wait to see/hear more :)

cjk
December 3rd, 2018, 03:38 PM
Just arrived at Goodwill. Inspiration needs to strike.

browneyedsusan
December 3rd, 2018, 03:38 PM
Ooh!
:popcorn:

Lady Stardust
December 3rd, 2018, 03:42 PM
Just arrived at Goodwill. Inspiration needs to strike.

Silk scarves, eye patch! Big red boots? He wore them with rolls up jeans and a denim jacket (jean Jeanie), blouse with flouncey sleeves, see through black top and black trousers, a dress? (Man who sold the world)

cjk
December 3rd, 2018, 03:43 PM
Doesn't have to be a copy. Just inspired.

Lady Stardust
December 3rd, 2018, 03:45 PM
A lot of the Ziggy/Aladdin clothes were heavily patterned, bright colours, lots of zigzags and geometric shapes. Tight fitting with either tight sleeves or flowing sleeves. Big colourful bangles. Actually 2 good coloured thin bangles would be good too - he wore those for ages,

Lady Stardust
December 3rd, 2018, 03:48 PM
Doesn't have to be a copy. Just inspired.

I know, I’m just emptying my brain :)

Anything silky would be good for the androgynous side

Vacurlylady
December 3rd, 2018, 04:10 PM
Cannot wait for the event and pictures!

Growitagain28
December 3rd, 2018, 06:05 PM
There are temporary “spray” hair colors which could absolutely work. If you have a Sally’s Beauty Supply near you, that would be a quick option. My middle son loves having his hair blue and there is one spray that is very temporary (comes out 0 issues first wash as he cannot have colored hair for school). Color Bombz is the brand and is about $6 a bottle (huge variety of colors!)

cjk
December 3rd, 2018, 06:40 PM
I'm using this as an excuse to learn how to braid in extensions. Dutch braids are, basically, cornrows anyway so it's a logical progression.

Badfurday
December 18th, 2018, 01:53 AM
I know this threads a few weeks old now, but just wondered how it's all going cjk?

I would have suggested separating out your sun rays and beading each part with a heavy rune bead to draw it down.

I did something similar a year or two ago, but not to anywhere near your length! It would take me years to get that length.

Good luck with everything way!

Your hair looks amazingly thick and shiney by the way! :)

spitfire511
December 19th, 2018, 09:00 AM
Yeah cjk! Following this one!