PDA

View Full Version : Greasy roots!

Sparkles122
November 29th, 2018, 10:44 AM
So after an unfortunate run in a few weeks ago with bleach, my hair texture completely changed. I went from being able to wash my hair every other day with no problem to definitely not being able to wash my hair every other day. Ive been trying to stretch washes. I want to give my hair a much needed break. Right now ive washed my hair on monday and plan on washing it again tomorrow (friday) or maybe even Saturday but my roots are getting greasy. Ive also noticed that I seem to develop some sort of dandruff, which I never have. Washing my hair right now gives me anxiety even with using all the conditioner and oil suggestions that I recieved on a previous post. Do I need to wash more though?

lapushka
November 29th, 2018, 11:38 AM
If you get flakes, you need to definitely wash more.

There is nothing wrong with washing more. Some people can stretch washes, sometimes it happens due to circumstances (medical), and others simply cannot.

Listen to your scalp! That is the best thing to do.

Joules
November 29th, 2018, 11:48 AM
I second lapushka. Washing itself isn't as damaging as some people think it is, but not washing enough can be damaging for sure. You don't want to risk developing a scalp condition to save a few inches of hair (and dandruff which you never had before can be a first sign of it). Just oil your hair to protect it and enjoy your shampoo.

Lady Stardust
November 29th, 2018, 11:56 AM
I agree that you need to listen to your scalp, so wash more often.

I’ve just been looking at your recent posts. I don’t know anything about bleach damage but I’ve read that people recommend treatments such as Olaplex and Joico K-Pak. They’ve got to be worth a try? I hope you find something that helps.

Have you tried conditioning twice after you wash, and the Rinse Out Oil method? Both of these should help with retaining moisture. Lapushka has links in her signature (I would link the threads but they’re right above this post :))

Adding moisture to the lengths in between washes could help too. I sometimes spray the length with rose water (just because I like the smell) and then smooth on a tiny bit of leave in conditioner. These little extras add up.

Finding a good deep conditioner would be really worthwhile too, and apply it once a week.

Sparkles122
November 29th, 2018, 12:01 PM

There is nothing wrong with washing more. Some people can stretch washes, sometimes it happens due to circumstances (medical), and others simply cannot.

Thank you. I thought I was doing my hair a favor but my scalp literally hurts

akurah
November 29th, 2018, 02:43 PM
Thank you. I thought I was doing my hair a favor but my scalp literally hurts

If your scalp is in pain you need to go to the doctor.

Sparkles122
November 29th, 2018, 06:04 PM
If your scalp is in pain you need to go to the doctor.

It does that when I dont wash my hair enough, and then when I wash, its gone. It also does the same thing when ive had the same style for too long

Joules
November 30th, 2018, 01:22 AM
It does that when I dont wash my hair enough, and then when I wash, its gone. It also does the same thing when ive had the same style for too long

That's malassezia overgrowth. You definitely need to use a stronger shampoo and not stretch washes at all, otherwise it can transform into full-blown seborrheic dermatitis.

Doreen
November 30th, 2018, 04:02 AM
I agree that you shouldn't be stretching it that far since you're having scalp pain. Maybe try washing it every third day? I usually wash my hair and scalp every other day, but sometimes I get lazy/don't have time to let it all dry, so I just stick my head under the sink to get the scalp only. That might also work for you.

I don't think washing is that damaging as long as you focus massaging the shampoo into the scalp and roots and don't pile all your hair on top of your head to create tangles. If you let your scalp condition become too bad, it could cause a big shed!

Sparkles122
November 30th, 2018, 04:56 AM
That's malassezia overgrowth. You definitely need to use a stronger shampoo and not stretch washes at all, otherwise it can transform into full-blown seborrheic dermatitis.

Could this explain why, in the past, I have found that the more ive washed my hair the faster it seemed to grow? This of course was when it wasnt damaged. I could be wrong, it just definitely felt like jt.

Sparkles122
November 30th, 2018, 04:58 AM
I agree that you shouldn't be stretching it that far since you're having scalp pain. Maybe try washing it every third day? I usually wash my hair and scalp every other day, but sometimes I get lazy/don't have time to let it all dry, so I just stick my head under the sink to get the scalp only. That might also work for you.

I don't think washing is that damaging as long as you focus massaging the shampoo into the scalp and roots and don't pile all your hair on top of your head to create tangles. If you let your scalp condition become too bad, it could cause a big shed!

Im definitely going to start washing every other day again. For some reason I thought this was a great idea for my hair. Im glad I came on here and asked because I realized that pain probably isnt a good sign. I washed my hair last night and its crazy how the pain completely goes away.

Sparkles122
November 30th, 2018, 05:00 AM

Yes it was almost like pain and itchiness at the same time. And then I noticed little white flakes, which I dont usually have

lapushka
November 30th, 2018, 05:50 AM
I'm so glad we could help you out! And washing doesn't need to be a chore either. Some people just need to wash more often. Others can stretch. I wish I was like my mom, who can go a month - easily. She for some reason doesn't seem to produce sebum.

Wendyclaire
November 30th, 2018, 12:48 PM
I had the same thing last year when I lightened my hair. It made my scalp red and itchy. It took a few weeks to recover but I do like to was a few times a week. It is strange that something I’d done a million times did that. A change in the product?

Sparkles122
November 30th, 2018, 01:09 PM
I had the same thing last year when I lightened my hair. It made my scalp red and itchy. It took a few weeks to recover but I do like to was a few times a week. It is strange that something I’d done a million times did that. A change in the product?

In my situation, I dont think this was due to a product I was using. This was because I was attempting to stretch washes longer than I ever have before, and it was all of a sudden. It was mainly because my hair now has bleach damage underneath a brown demi permanent that was put over it. The top of my hair close to my roots and at my roots is healthy hair so im getting really greasy on my scalp