PDA

View Full Version : Help with tangles

bparnell75
November 29th, 2018, 09:56 AM
I practice protective air styles, braids or buns at night. I condition every wash. I almost never have hair down yet I have a terrible tangle problem. I can put it up and when it comes down there are tangles. It seems that gray hair wants to tangle more than when it was darker. I also wonder of the shedding hair has something to do with this. I seem to shed more than my allotted 50 ever day. I really don't understand how I have any hair left. :rolleyes::confused:

Question has any one solved this problem? or is there a leave in conditioner that might help with this problem.

MusicalSpoons
November 29th, 2018, 10:35 AM
[Edit: I should have started off by saying this in the first place: I understand exactly what you mean! I used to get lots of tangles despite my hair being constantly up and out of the way. Now onto the advice I was so eager to give ... ]

The rinse-out oil method has helped keep my hair more moisturised between full washes and therefore less tangly. Also double-conditioning made a huge difference for me too (I CWC with ROO between W&C) - in fact double-conditioning is what made me realise my hair did need more moisture, because it was so much better than before.

I do still get tangles, but nowhere near as many and they're much easier to get out gently than before.

[Oh I should mention, I used to think oiling (just ordinary oiling on dry or damp hair) would help, but having it attracted so much lint it actually caused more tangles.]

lapushka
November 29th, 2018, 10:56 AM
Ever since hitting FTL I have started getting some major *knots*, not even tangles, throughout the week. I carefully finger detangle them but I don't know why they suddenly appear. I first thought it might be my ends fairytailing more but then it happens in the shorter bits too. And I have no clue how to combat this.

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread!

GrowlingCupcake
November 29th, 2018, 11:58 AM
My hair has always been ridiculously tangly, whatever length it was, however it was styled. It tangles while in a tight braid.

Two things help for me:
1) Moisture - I use Joico's K-PAK Intense Hydrator once every two weeks or once a week, depending on season.
2) NB's Selkie Detangler - I use this whenever I brush/comb out my hair, on my ends, and anywhere else that has a difficult tangle (nape, scalp, where ever my hair decides to misbehave). This is easily the best detangler I have tried; if I try to comb without it, my hair tries to eat my combs.

I've also just learnt to live with it. I detangle twice a day, once in the morning before bunning, and once at night before braids/bunning. I do not brush/comb my hair any other times unless it's wash day. My hair will tangle, regardless of what I do; limiting how often I manipulate it is best for my hair.

Groovy Granny
November 29th, 2018, 12:29 PM
I use a mixed boar bristle detangler am/pm;also removes lint = tangles.
https://www.amazon.com/Boar-Bristle-Hair-Brush-set/dp/B01D3Y6WFG

Then I use Biosilk Lite Serum on my ends after for slip.

lithostoic
November 29th, 2018, 02:34 PM
I use the SM spray detangler. It's fantastic. I use it to finger detangle which is the only time I can successfully do that!

akurah
November 29th, 2018, 02:42 PM
Ever since hitting FTL I have started getting some major *knots*, not even tangles, throughout the week. I carefully finger detangle them but I don't know why they suddenly appear. I first thought it might be my ends fairytailing more but then it happens in the shorter bits too. And I have no clue how to combat this.

I'll be keeping my eye on this thread!

I get those too. Most of my knots of this kind tend to have lint at their core. At some point I plan to investigate techniques to combat lint.

Cg
November 29th, 2018, 02:52 PM
I get those too. Most of my knots of this kind tend to have lint at their core. At some point I plan to investigate techniques to combat lint.

Yes, and the lint generally seems to be toward the ends of strands, not higher up. Perhaps from being combed down until it catches on something though.

lapushka
November 29th, 2018, 03:57 PM

Nah, it's not a lint issue for me... It's altogether weird. And I have to be careful with the knots because they are so deeply embedded in the hair that separating the strands is very hard to do without breaking the hair (some strands) in the process.

EdG
November 29th, 2018, 05:29 PM
I am a tangle expert. :waving:

Hair that is always tangled usually has lint holding together the tangles. Read my post in the lint thread (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=135544&p=3617106). Lint can be hard to see - it is most visible in bright light against a dark background.

The most effective means that I have found to remove lint is water-only washing, followed by combing from all angles (always away from the root) with my fingers and wooden comb. I clean the comb frequently with a damp washcloth.

I hope this helps. Lint is very hard to remove.
Ed

lithostoic
November 29th, 2018, 05:46 PM
I find it strange that so many people have a problem with lint. I rarely find any in my hair or anywhere for that matter.

EdG
November 29th, 2018, 05:57 PM
I find it strange that so many people have a problem with lint. I rarely find any in my hair or anywhere for that matter.I assume from your signature that you are growing long hair.

Lint is a problem for people who have had long hair for many years. If not adequately removed, lint can accumulate in the hair. The lint can be older than the hair itself - combing redistributes lint from the ends towards the scalp. This is why combs need to be cleaned frequently.
Ed

Reservechic
November 29th, 2018, 06:02 PM
Here's the most popular leave-ins that I know of:

Kinky-Curky's Knot Today
Shea Moisture JBCO Leave-In

Also, pre-pooing your hair may be of great help to you too. As, the only time that I shed and have tangles a lot, is when I notice that my hair isn't getting the proper level of moisturizer ion that it needs to be bad look it's healthier. Or, it can be that a product or products that's being used on my hair that has ingredients in it that are causing my hair to become more and more dehydrated over time. I would definitely recommend staying away from sulfates and any other drying ingredients that happen to promote moisture loss, which definitely can lead to your hair being very tangled. And, I highly recommend deep conditioning with heat every time, sleeping on sayin pillowcase or wearing a satin bonnet when you go to bed at night (if you aren't already doing so). Also, I don't know what you use to style your hair, but it should definitely be a product that leaves your hair in perfect balance, without ever leaving it dry and crying out for more moisture. And, I am not sure if you wash your hair daily, but unless your hair gets greasy very fast, and it must be washe daily, then I would most surely recommend stretching your time between hair washes (if you aren't already doing such now), because overwashing ones hair, will definitely leave ones hair dehydrated and can most surely lead to big issues with tangles. This is only because washing ones hair very frequently when such is not best for ones own hair, can lead to a lot of problems with one hair, than without.

Cg
November 29th, 2018, 06:39 PM
Lint is a problem for people who have had long hair for many years. If not adequately removed, lint can accumulate in the hair. The lint can be older than the hair itself - combing redistributes lint from the ends towards the scalp. This is why combs need to be cleaned frequently.
Ed

Lint is only ever a problem to me in cold months when I wear fuzzy garments. In summer I never find lint or have knots. I figured it was a matter of both drier staticky air and the minute fuzz floating around in it. Then again, until now I've given almost no thought to the matter.

zashin66
November 29th, 2018, 08:42 PM
Lint is only ever a problem to me in cold months when I wear fuzzy garments. In summer I never find lint or have knots. I figured it was a matter of both drier staticky air and the minute fuzz floating around in it. Then again, until now I've given almost no thought to the matter.

I have got to chime in with you on the fuzzy clothing causing more lint problems. I've been getting more tangles too. I think in my case some of it is the drier air and fuzzy clothes combined. I also tend to wear my hair down more in winter because I feel warmer that way. It is like having another clothing layer on. It was in the 30s fahrenheit with Frost on the windshield last week and I had no coat on just in my arms but was nicely warm due to the "shawl" on my shoulders and back. I hate to put on my coat unless forced to because my hair gets so staticky.

bparnell75
December 1st, 2018, 10:19 AM
I have ordered Kinky-Curky's Knot Today, so I will report back. I will also check our ROO.
Thanks for the advice.

lapushka
December 1st, 2018, 11:38 AM
I have ordered Kinky-Curky's Knot Today, so I will report back. I will also check our ROO.
Thanks for the advice.

I do ROO, the link is in my signature. This week will be consecutive week 54 that I've been doing this method.

I still have knots; but I blame my length. A bit. When I was classic I had 0 knots. Tangles yes, but "knots". OMG!

Pouncequick
December 1st, 2018, 12:29 PM
I'll follow this thread. I have nearly hip length hair and terrible struggles with tangles. Some issues are due to damage from harsh brushing (even though I use a wet brush I RIP it through out of impatience) and wearing my hair down too often, but I've always had really tangly hair so maybe some advice here will help.

Natashap
December 1st, 2018, 02:24 PM
I have started to use conditioners with almost all shampoo washes,Goosh my hair has no tangles ....magic

Wendyclaire
December 1st, 2018, 02:32 PM
Maybe people are putting to much and to many products in their hair? Especially deep conditioning and leave in products? That’s when my hair gets those nasty knots.

lapushka
December 1st, 2018, 03:39 PM
I'll follow this thread. I have nearly hip length hair and terrible struggles with tangles. Some issues are due to damage from harsh brushing (even though I use a wet brush I RIP it through out of impatience) and wearing my hair down too often, but I've always had really tangly hair so maybe some advice here will help.

A really moisturizing conditioner or mask might help you out. I always use the ones for dry, damaged hair, as they are the most moisturizing on the market. My HG conditioner is the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. It is wonderful. I never got tangly hair with that.

I am getting *knots* now, full-blown knots, and I am double conditioning with the HE HH this week, to see if it makes a difference.

It is my own darn fault for trying to use stuff up this year. Even things that I no longer was planning to use; but still waste not want not. ;)

jera
December 1st, 2018, 03:52 PM
Nah, it's not a lint issue for me... It's altogether weird. And I have to be careful with the knots because they are so deeply embedded in the hair that separating the strands is very hard to do since breaking the hair (some strands) in the process.

I have to S&D. I'm getting so many faerie knots and and double strand knots (where one strand knots with another) since the weather got cold. Deep conditioning more is helping to provide better moisture and slip so I hope this problem will resolve itself.