PDA

View Full Version : Need Help! Hair Texture Changes on Daily Basis

MarPreciosa
November 29th, 2018, 07:46 AM
I am so confused and am hoping the Mane Forum can help!

I have fine strands that are very light and when curly they are basically hair clouds (think Kate Hudson texture). However, without changing my routine at all, sometimes they are 1C slight waves.

I do not use styling products, just a natural shampoo (CWC), argan oil on the ends and about once a week I deep condition with a natural conditioner or hot oil treatment.

The climate I am in is not variable. What's going on here? Is there any way I can encourage the curls to come more consistently without using product (my scalp is crazy chemically sensitive)? I will be trimming it up a bit in December, so hopefully that will help.

Btw my hair is virgin and healthy. CG method gives me clumps and buildup.

Thank you!!

spidermom
November 29th, 2018, 07:52 AM
You could keep product away from your scalp. I get crazy floaty hair, too, and the only thing that helps is something to weigh it down a bit.

lapushka
November 29th, 2018, 08:19 AM
I have textures of all kinds on my head as well. I'm sure it shows in my signature (that is day old hair, not freshly washed), my waves sag day by day after wash day is over. Wash day is about my best day for waviness.

I just bun it and forget about it; is that maybe an option?

MarPreciosa
November 29th, 2018, 08:27 AM
I have textures of all kinds on my head as well. I'm sure it shows in my signature (that is day old hair, not freshly washed), my waves sag day by day after wash day is over. Wash day is about my best day for waviness.

I just bun it and forget about it; is that maybe an option?

I braid/put up once it falls flat too. Just hoping I can extend the curls or control better when they arrive. Usually it's not really a texture mix - if it's a curly day, my whole head is curly/wavy - if not, it's mostly straight with a very slight wave (not always but most of the time lol)

Unfortunately, if chemically laden products are even close to my scalp, I get a SD breakout! I'm thinking about trying AVG... but am trying to not weight the hair down since it's so lightweight. Tricky!!

*Wednesday*
November 29th, 2018, 10:41 AM
My hair is fine and light. My hair gets weighed down easily, I don't do LOC, just LO.
I don't use product besides S/C except for oils after washes (twice weekly).
My hair is 2b and after wash day my waves loosen. My hair is always up so I have no reason to protect the waves. Unless on ocassion it will be worn down.

You can try light re-wetting with water but be careful of hygral fatigue. Constant wetting (over moisturizing) can keep the hair swelled which can eventually lead to hair breakage.

lapushka
November 29th, 2018, 10:57 AM
I braid/put up once it falls flat too. Just hoping I can extend the curls or control better when they arrive. Usually it's not really a texture mix - if it's a curly day, my whole head is curly/wavy - if not, it's mostly straight with a very slight wave (not always but most of the time lol)

Unfortunately, if chemically laden products are even close to my scalp, I get a SD breakout! I'm thinking about trying AVG... but am trying to not weight the hair down since it's so lightweight. Tricky!!

I have SD too, and the only thing I allow to touch my scalp is shampoo.

MarPreciosa
November 29th, 2018, 12:08 PM
I have SD too, and the only thing I allow to touch my scalp is shampoo.

Exactly. It's embarrassing how long it took me to figure out that only natural shampoos and some oils are ok. Aloe, egg and honey too, but nothing else.

MarPreciosa
November 29th, 2018, 12:10 PM
My hair is fine and light. My hair gets weighed down easily, I don't do LOC, just LO.
I don't use product besides S/C except for oils after washes (twice weekly).
My hair is 2b and after wash day my waves loosen. My hair is always up so I have no reason to protect the waves. Unless on ocassion it will be worn down.

You can try light re-wetting with water but be careful of hygral fatigue. Constant wetting (over moisturizing) can keep the hair swelled which can eventually lead to hair breakage.

Yea, I was a little concerned about that but was considering it. Since it's very fine, it breaks pretty easily if I am not careful.

You have a lot more hair than me, but the lightness in your signature is really similar to mine.

lapushka
November 29th, 2018, 04:59 PM
Exactly. It's embarrassing how long it took me to figure out that only natural shampoos and some oils are ok. Aloe, egg and honey too, but nothing else.

For me it's harsh sulfates and my medicated shampoo; nothing natural, or sulfate-free or it gets worse. It's odd how that can be so different for people.

SallySue
November 29th, 2018, 05:02 PM
Yup. My hair texture varies everywhere between 1c and 3a depending on the weather, what I've put in it recently, and other mysterious factors I haven't figured out yet. I have learned to cope by keeping stocked with a variety of products for different times. Based on lots of experience, I don't think there is any good way to retain curl definition day after day without gel. With gel, on the other hand, my curls hold for up to 5 days and even get more springy with each refresh. I don't worry about hygral fatigue because I do my refreshes with a spray bottle rather than a full drench. It's dry and ready for SOTC again in an hour.

[Edited for grammar. "more springier" ???]

MarPreciosa
November 29th, 2018, 06:31 PM
Yup. My hair texture varies everywhere between 1c and 3a depending on the weather, what I've put in it recently, and other mysterious factors I haven't figured out yet. I have learned to cope by keeping stocked with a variety of products for different times. Based on lots of experience, I don't think there is any good way to retain curl definition day after day without gel. With gel, on the other hand, my curls hold for up to 5 days and even get more springy with each refresh. I don't worry about hygral fatigue because I do my refreshes with a spray bottle rather than a full drench. It's dry and ready for SOTC again in an hour.

[Edited for grammar. "more springier" ???]

This is good advice! I'll try a spray bottle and aloe to see if that works...

MarPreciosa
November 29th, 2018, 06:32 PM
For me it's harsh sulfates and my medicated shampoo; nothing natural, or sulfate-free or it gets worse. It's odd how that can be so different for people.

It's also why it takes so long to figure out what works for you. It's such a mysterious condition until you find your triggers.

MusicalSpoons
December 1st, 2018, 08:33 AM
This thread might be encouraging: https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145752 (Sadly a lot of the photos don't show up for some reason :confused: but the ones that do show are good examples of hair changing :) )