PDA

View Full Version : Growing out damaged hair color

hdouc094
November 4th, 2008, 08:21 AM
Hi,
I have joined this community after having fried my hair. This is my plan to return to my natural hair color :
- first, cut off the ends since they are like straw.
- then, apply semi-permanent hair color to even out the bleached color.
- finally, cut to my natural regrowth once it has reached chin length in order to grow it out with healthy hair.

Has anyone ever attempted something similar...any advice ?

brok3nwings
November 4th, 2008, 08:43 AM
I think many of us. i had fried hair about twice in my life and it has no solution, its true. So you are right, you will have to eventually cut it. My question is: how long is your hair? How long is your regrowth (natural hair) ? What is your natural hair colour and whats your current colour?
Welcome :)

hdouc094
November 4th, 2008, 08:46 AM
I think many of us. i had fried hair about twice in my life and it has no solution, its true. So you are right, you will have to eventually cut it. My question is: how long is your hair? How long is your regrowth (natural hair) ? What is your natural hair colour and whats your current colour?
Welcome :)
Current hair color is Level 10 blond and my regrowth is about 1/4 inch. My current length is about 4 inches past shoulder. thx for the welcome :)

suicides_eve
November 4th, 2008, 08:53 AM
my life story is just that :
I had past BSL hair that i dyed black for about 1 year or so, used a color remover then bleach on top, my hair melted off at the roots in spots..Not pretty, I chopped it off to shoulder length to salvage what i could which was nothing. The hair would break off when the wind blew. Nothing would remedy my problem except for cutting. I gave my self a nice pixie cut in August 2007 and have nearly APL of natural un-dyed hair.

I also found out that my hair is naturally really curly and full of spirals, Before it was "chemically straighten" from all the dyes and bleach i used.

I have pictures in my photo albums of what my hair was like before my cut all dried and twiggy lookin

spidermom
November 4th, 2008, 09:04 AM
I used to bleach mine in high school, and when I got tired of it, I stopped. I had two-tone hair until the natural color got to shoulder length. Then I got all the bleached stuff cut off. It was fried, that's for sure.

hdouc094
November 4th, 2008, 10:03 AM
Thx for the support :) I am glad that others have had a similar experience. For those who have grown it out, how many years did it take ?

Katze
November 4th, 2008, 10:18 AM
It's taken me about two years to go from having a visible demarcation line where I stopped dyeing. This was a year after stopping bleach, after I could not stand the two-tone look. Guess what, dye gave me another couple of years of two-toned hair, because there was always that demarcation line. I wore a lot of French braids and half ups for that first six months.

Because I bleached, dyed, highlighted repeatedly, my length was more damaged than my roots, but all color treated parts of my hair feel different from the virgin growth.

Now I only have about 3 inches of fried ends that have a different texture than the rest of my hair. Slowly, I'm cutting these off.

It is very hard to stop dyeing once you start. But corrective dye, at least in my experience, fades and washes out and changes over time, so even if it is a perfect match with your natural hair color (and you know what your natural color is - I didn't!) you will still have a demarcation line.

Nightshade
November 4th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I'm on about three years of growing out some epic dye damage from BSL to nearly classic. It's a long, slow road, but I'm glad I didn't chop it all off.

There's an article about damaged hair and how to help it in my siggy. It may be worth the read :flowers:

spidermom
November 4th, 2008, 10:25 AM
To the best of my memory, it took me a year and a half to get my natural color to shoulder length.

teela1978
November 4th, 2008, 10:27 AM
I came to this site with shoulder-length dyed hair that I was trying to grow out. I had dyed it close to my natural color, but as stated before I still ended up with a demarcation as I grew it out. It took a little over a year to get my demarcation line past chin-length which is where I chopped it all off. Now I'm almost to bsl and au natural. It's hard dealing with the two-toned hair, but it's not impossible, and I kinda think that the demarcation was more obvious to me than to others.

MsBubbles
November 4th, 2008, 01:39 PM
I'm growing out about 10 years' worth of highlights. I just had my stylist put a color over the top of the highlights to blend more with my darker roots.

Anyway...the one thing that is flashing before my eyes here is: make sure you know the color wheel and how different colors react to bleached hair. If you don't do it right it could come out green. I tried looking into doing this myself because I was loathe to go back to my hairdresser. I gave up and just went back to her because I found nothing but conflicting advice on line. I even tried doing the clairol on line chat consultation thing for using their coloring product, and the woman advised me to just go back to my stylist.

I gather from all my research that you can't just put ashy colors on top of bleached hair. You have to put in a filler first, otherwise you'll end up with green hair.

Right now my ends have a tinge of green to them but not because I have any strands that are green - it's the ashy browns against the white bleached ones that create a greenish hue. I'm not stressing about it right now because 50% of the time my hair is black with oil :p.

I think if you're wanting reddish tones/golden/honey colors then you won't run the risk of ending up with green hair. I just don't have any natural red tones in my roots so I had to do the ashy, potentially green tone-down.

Addy
November 4th, 2008, 07:09 PM
My last color was in Aug and now I'm growing out to my natural mousy brown/gray.

I am going to trim every 6-8 months until all the color treated hair is gone. No big cuts here! :no:

feralnature
November 11th, 2008, 10:47 PM
I've stopped dying or bleaching or highlighting and am growing out my virgin brown/grey/silver hair. I have red ends though that will eventually be cut off.

Siava
November 12th, 2008, 06:36 AM
Current hair color is Level 10 blond and my regrowth is about 1/4 inch. My current length is about 4 inches past shoulder. thx for the welcome :)

I'm also growing out chemically colored hair. My natural color is medium brown, but I dyed dark reddish brown a few times and most of the length has faded to a light reddish brown. My regrowth is almost chin length and it's been a year since using chemicals. There's not a bold contrast, but I notice it and the semi-permanents (I use Clairol's Loving Care) do a great job of evening the color.

What color is your regrowth? Is it a bold difference?

QueenBea
November 12th, 2008, 04:51 PM
I joined in July 2007 to do the same thing. My natural color is to my chin now, and I could cut it, but I've gotten used to the multicolor and am going to just get 1" cut off every 4 months.

My natural color is a medium/dark brown with slight reddish undertones, so I used henna on the overprocessed blowdryed ends when I had about 4" natural color. I only did it that one time, back this spring, maybe? and it helped blend my roots to the ends. But they are not the same color by any stretch. It's very noticable when I wear a peacock twist--the floppy parts are bright red.

A year and a half of no blowdrying or coloring, diluted shampoo, gentleness, etc. and regular 1" trims has helped grow it out a lot. It's between shoulder and BSL now, and when it gets to BSL, I'll probably start getting 1" cut every two months until the color is out--

Bea