PDA

View Full Version : methylisothiazolinone.....I think I found the source of my hair loss!

kitcatsmeow
November 28th, 2018, 06:08 AM
I happened to be looking up some of my products and Paul Mitchell Awapuhi and Ginger Intense keratin treatment is one I’ve tecently started using regularly.. I’ve been usi it for years but only about 3-4x a year after I used the keratin treatment. I only wash about once a week and on a lark I used it as my fist conditioner in CWC. Well it makes my hair feel incredible so I continued using it. Because it wasn’t really new, I never thought it was the source of my hair loss. Now thinking about it, after washing and wrapping my hair, I would keep getting an itchy red patch on the side of my face and the tops of my ears where my hair was touching them. I attributed that to dry winter weather but now I think I’m allergic to an ingredient in this conditioner! The time line for loss matches up to about when I started regular use.
Here is the post I found....has anyone ever heard of this?? I’m horrified but hopeful that I can finally stop the shed!

review from MakeupAlley:

“I've been using this once a week (in the shower, after shampooing, not as a deep treatment) and am very pleased with the results. My chin-length hair is lowlighted and tends to be dry, but this product, used in conjunction with the shampoo and cream rinse, leaves my hair looking healthy and thick. I think it's already made a difference in my hair's strength--I'm noticing fewer strands in the comb, even right after detangling. Of course, it has the same wonderful scent as the other products. This is really an outstanding line of products, and I don't plan to be without them. Grail.

Update 8/15/13--I'm afraid that I have to change my rating for these products. After using the shampoo, conditioner, and keratin treatment for several weeks, I found that my hair was falling out. And the amount increased over time. Two weeks after stopping use, the hair loss stopped. These products contain the preservatives methylisothiazolinone and methylchloroisothiazolinone, also used in WEN products, which are known to cause hair loss. (None of my other hair products contain this.) If you Google these, you will find that many people are allergic or sensitive to them--if fact, some doctors are calling it "an epidemic." Sadly, these are going in the garbage, but at least I'm not losing more hair.

Update 10/6/13--I'm happy to say that my hair is growing back noticeably after having discontinued using this product. I'm relieved. What a shame that this product caused hair loss, because I so liked using it.”

ETA: all my other hair care is natural and silicone free mostly Shea Moisturize.

lapushka
November 28th, 2018, 07:28 AM
I would go to an allergist, to have it checked out, because it might not be that. It might, but it might be something else entirely as well, or both; you don't know.

Good luck. An allergy is nothing to mess with! :flower:

kitcatsmeow
November 28th, 2018, 07:39 AM
I would go to an allergist, to have it checked out, because it might not be that. It might, but it might be something else entirely as well, or both; you don't know.

Good luck. An allergy is nothing to mess with! :flower:

I’m going to stop the conditioner obviously, washing it out today and see how that goes. If the hair loss stops, no more itching ot face and ears, I’ll know that’s what it is!

kitcatsmeow
November 28th, 2018, 07:54 AM
Another review :

I agree with the previous review. This product will improve any damage you may have, and because I saw such great results I didnt realize my hair was just getting thinner and thinner. I thought my hair was just getting healthier and that's why it felt lighter, but I was in fact just losing hair. Not breakage, falling out!! You can actually see my scalp now!! My hair hasn't grown back and I stopped using it about 2 years ago. Please, avoid this product!!!!!

VenusianMane
November 28th, 2018, 08:40 AM
I happen to have read earlier today that there seems to be strong evidence that this component (a preservative) is toxic and allergenic to the skin, the post I read provided this link:
http://www.ewg.org/skindeep/ingredient/703935/METHYLISOTHIAZOLINONE/

Riot Crrl
November 28th, 2018, 08:50 AM
Those two ingredients are also known as the "itchy Ms." Lots and lots of people are sensitized to them or become so with use. I avoid these and a lot of other things lest my eczema flare up. My doctors have told me there is no way of testing me for sensitivities if they're not true allergies. Good luck, I hope you found the culprit.

nycelle
November 28th, 2018, 09:37 AM
I'd like to see a study where it says either of these ingredients (especially in the small quantities they're used) is causing hair loss. Yes, they're known irritants, but that doesn't mean hair loss.

I will say that in the US, we need to do a better job of warning people that many ingredients are known irritants. This is a huge problem here.

nycelle
November 28th, 2018, 09:41 AM
I’m going to stop the conditioner obviously, washing it out today and see how that goes. If the hair loss stops, no more itching ot face and ears, I’ll know that’s what it is!

Keep us updated.

lapushka
November 28th, 2018, 09:56 AM
I would still get some medical advice. Dr. Google, I don't trust (obviously). And self-tinkering; yeah you can try and cut things out, but what if next time you react to something else? Or, what if it's not that?

I don't like these scare-tactics or this fear-mongering over some ingredients. A while ago it was on Eco Styler, which is a perfectly fine gel for most people. Of course, one exception and boom it blows up over the internet that it is a "dangerous" product. No, I'm not like that, maybe unfortunately, but hey, that's the way it is.

I do strongly support you in trying to figure out what's causing this, though. But, the proper way (medical route).

nycelle
November 28th, 2018, 10:02 AM
I would still get some medical advice. Dr. Google, I don't trust (obviously). And self-tinkering; yeah you can try and cut things out, but what if next time you react to something else? Or, what if it's not that?

I don't like these scare-tactics or this fear-mongering over some ingredients. A while ago it was on Eco Styler, which is a perfectly fine gel for most people. Of course, one exception and boom it blows up over the internet that it is a "dangerous" product. No, I'm not like that, maybe unfortunately, but hey, that's the way it is.

I do strongly support you in trying to figure out what's causing this, though. But, the proper way (medical route).

Lapushaka, these ingredients were restricted for use in the EU to rinse out products. https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=uriserv%3AOJ.L_.2017.174.01.0016.01.ENG

akurah
November 28th, 2018, 10:10 AM
I happen to have read earlier today that there seems to be strong evidence that this component (a preservative) is toxic and allergenic to the skin, the post I read provided this link:

That's correct. This is a preservative, not a silicone.

aethyra
November 28th, 2018, 10:25 AM
Thank you for this thread. This chemical compound is in a few conditioners i have used over the years. I too had the same effects of these products in making my hair silky and soft and/or with great slip post WC combout..
The side effects are definitely there for me now as well. I would had never known without this thread that it can be added to the list of things that cause shedding.

Very valuable information, kitcatsmeow. Thank you again. :)

lapushka
November 28th, 2018, 10:39 AM
Lapushaka, these ingredients were restricted for use in the EU to rinse out products. https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=uriserv%3AOJ.L_.2017.174.01.0016.01.ENG

Interesting. I think I might have a whole backstock with that still in there. I have no issues with it anyway. I can't click on the link for some reason. :(

kitcatsmeow
November 28th, 2018, 12:24 PM

Thank you for this link!

Those two ingredients are also known as the "itchy Ms." Lots and lots of people are sensitized to them or become so with use. I avoid these and a lot of other things lest my eczema flare up. My doctors have told me there is no way of testing me for sensitivities if they're not true allergies. Good luck, I hope you found the culprit.

Yes exactly! So itchy. Never had that before

Keep us updated.

Absolutely!

kitcatsmeow
November 28th, 2018, 12:39 PM

Well first off I misspoke and should have said allergy. I don’t believe it’s a true allergic reaction in which case I would have more severe symptoms. An allergist wouldn’t be able to test for sensitivities and would rightly tell me to do exactly what I’m doing and eliminate possibly triggers.
Also what scare tactics and fear mongering are you referring to? I’m not trying to i scare anyone truly I’m not. Besides the reviews I’ve found a slew of other info regarding these two ingredients cofirming the possible side effects and as someone posted above, it’s a known irritant and banned in most products. Unfortunately not in the US!
I also strongly believe in more people doing their own research and not relying solely on doctors. We know our own symptoms and bodies better than anyone else. Please don’t misunderstand, I don’t believe in self diagnosis when it comes to true medical problems, but I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve asked for certain blood tests because I knew my ferritin was low or potassium and it was. Googling and researching are different. Knowledge is power and the Internet is full of it. Let’s face it, it’s also full of crap but we have to dig through everything.
Fortunately, I don’t have anything that warrants a visit to an allergist and if it is not the conditioner (which I suspect it is) it could very well just be my disease or the new medication I’m on, and in that case. Nothing can be done :(

kitcatsmeow
November 28th, 2018, 12:43 PM
Thank you for this thread. This chemical compound is in a few conditioners i have used over the years. I too had the same effects of these products in making my hair silky and soft and/or with great slip post WC combout..
The side effects are definitely there for me now as well. I would had never known without this thread that it can be added to the list of things that cause shedding.

Very valuable information, kitcatsmeow. Thank you again. :)

You’re so welcome. I hope eliminating these ingredients can help us bothz keep me posted if you can!

lapushka
November 28th, 2018, 01:14 PM
Well first off I misspoke and should have said allergy. I don’t believe it’s a true allergic reaction in which case I would have more severe symptoms. An allergist wouldn’t be able to test for sensitivities and would rightly tell me to do exactly what I’m doing and eliminate possibly triggers.
Also what scare tactics and fear mongering are you referring to? I’m not trying to i scare anyone truly I’m not. Besides the reviews I’ve found a slew of other info regarding these two ingredients cofirming the possible side effects and as someone posted above, it’s a known irritant and banned in most products. Unfortunately not in the US!
I also strongly believe in more people doing their own research and not relying solely on doctors. We know our own symptoms and bodies better than anyone else. Please don’t misunderstand, I don’t believe in self diagnosis when it comes to true medical problems, but I can’t tell you the number of times I’ve asked for certain blood tests because I knew my ferritin was low or potassium and it was. Googling and researching are different. Knowledge is power and the Internet is full of it. Let’s face it, it’s also full of crap but we have to dig through everything.
Fortunately, I don’t have anything that warrants a visit to an allergist and if it is not the conditioner (which I suspect it is) it could very well just be my disease or the new medication I’m on, and in that case. Nothing can be done :(

Not from you (the fear-mongering), but from all the info that is "out there". I have seen the same thing happen with Eco Styler (on YT), and also with aluminum deodorants (on YT). It's insane.

kitcatsmeow
November 28th, 2018, 01:52 PM
Not from you (the fear-mongering), but from all the info that is "out there". I have seen the same thing happen with Eco Styler (on YT), and also with aluminum deodorants (on YT). It's insane.

Oh yeah I totally get that. In some cases it’s a good thing because people are unaware that a harmless product is really not so harmless. Take Monsanto for instance. In other cases it just creates unnecessary panic!

kitcatsmeow
November 28th, 2018, 02:34 PM
Just washed my hair and even though I still had a good bit of fall it wasn’t nearly as bad as it had been! Crossing my fingers over the next week or so it stops but I finally jawbone hope.

aethyra
November 28th, 2018, 02:54 PM
Kittycats: your hem and lengths are absolutely gorgeous! The shine is incredible!!

kitcatsmeow
November 28th, 2018, 03:33 PM
Kittycats: your hem and lengths are absolutely gorgeous! The shine is incredible!!

Thank you. Unfortunately I’ve lost a lot of thickness :( I just got 1/2” trimmed and this is now.

https://i.imgur.com/O8Bbkvw_d.jpg?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

lapushka
November 28th, 2018, 03:54 PM
Just washed my hair and even though I still had a good bit of fall it wasn’t nearly as bad as it had been! Crossing my fingers over the next week or so it stops but I finally jawbone hope.

Can I ask? Do you actually let your conditioner touch your scalp? If not, it might be something in your shampoo even. Just thinking out loud.

kitcatsmeow
November 28th, 2018, 03:58 PM
Can I ask? Do you actually let your conditioner touch your scalp? If not, it might be something in your shampoo even. Just thinking out loud.

Yep. I let my first c sit on my scalp and length and loosen everything up then wash and second conditioner also on scalp. I tend to be dry so I have no issues with oily scalp. Also the shampoo I’ve been using for years and years and is 100% natural. Not that that rules it out wind eeven natural ingredients can cause sensitivities but the fact I’ve been using it for years and never had an issue does.

jera
November 28th, 2018, 04:18 PM
This is extraordinary. What's safe for us to use to prevent this kind of stuff from happening? At least your hair looks really nice still kitcatsmeow. I don't see any scalp showing through so that must be good.

kitcatsmeow
November 28th, 2018, 04:34 PM
This is extraordinary. What's safe for us to use to prevent this kind of stuff from happening? At least your hair looks really nice still kitcatsmeow. I don't see any scalp showing through so that must be good.

I’m very lucky that I had a LOT of hair befor this started happening. It will take a long time to recover and I’m just sick over it. Besides this one conditioner, all my products are all natural. Mostly I use Shea moisture, accure and adama minerals.

MoonRabbit
November 29th, 2018, 06:29 AM
This ingredient is in every conditioner and shampoo in my stash, besides my shea moisture products. I never had an issue with it myself but my partner has developed a scalp issue in the past year and a half. I don't think he has any hair loss but he does get red patches all over his head. Maybe it could be a connection or he has simply developed SD.

kitcatsmeow
November 29th, 2018, 06:40 AM
This ingredient is in every conditioner and shampoo in my stash, besides my shea moisture products. I never had an issue with it myself but my partner has developed a scalp issue in the past year and a half. I don't think he has any hair loss but he does get red patches all over his head. Maybe it could be a connection or he has simply developed SD.

From what I understand, not everyone is sensitive to it. I have only been using this weekly (every wash) for about a month and while I didn’t get any rashes I got some very itchy spots on my face near my hairline and on the tops of my ears! It can’t hurt to eliminate those products to see if it helps.

nycelle
November 29th, 2018, 06:46 AM
I broke out around my neck two days ago.

Checked the ingredients this morning and sure enough, this particular shampoo and conditioner contain Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone.

Normally it never did anything to me, but this was the first time I used this conditioner for STC so some was left in. Apparently it didn't agree with my neck. About to wash it out. Using the conditioner normally (rinse it all out) hasn't caused me any irritation. But I won't use it for STC anymore. Annoyed at this too because it says you can use it as a leave-in.

kitcatsmeow
November 29th, 2018, 07:45 AM
I broke out around my neck two days ago.

Checked the ingredients this morning and sure enough, this particular shampoo and conditioner contain Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone.

Normally it never did anything to me, but this was the first time I used this conditioner for STC so some was left in. Apparently it didn't agree with my neck. About to wash it out. Using the conditioner normally (rinse it all out) hasn't caused me any irritation. But I won't use it for STC anymore. Annoyed at this too because it says you can use it as a leave-in.

Wow! It’s crazy how many people are effected by this and it’s in so many products. I must be really sensitive to it because I always used it as a the first rinse out in CWC and obviously it even got washed.

nycelle
November 29th, 2018, 07:58 AM
I'm not 100% sure it was those ingredients though, but pointless to chance it as a leave in again.

kitcatsmeow
November 29th, 2018, 08:14 AM
I'm not 100% sure it was those ingredients though, but pointless to chance it as a leave in again.

Right! I can’t be sure it’s those ingredients either since the conditioner has so many and I could never (be would I want to) do a test and eliminate each one. I only assume it’s these because there are so many similar stories about them in particular.

renia22
November 29th, 2018, 08:49 AM
So yeah, if you suspect something is causing hair loss, by all means I agree, stop using it. For me, I believe certain “sulfate free” products with a lot of botanical extracts/ essential oils, etc do that to me, so I just stay away from stuff like that and use only what I know doesn’t start my shedding up, although I get more daring with conditioners since I don’t use those on my scalp.

Just a comment about Wen, though. I don’t think they ever figured out what exactly was causing the hair loss in some people? Some were speculating conditioner on the scalp, but that wasn’t ever proven, and doctors were saying they didn’t think that was a likely cause (although plenty of people here say that’s happened to them with both that, or oils on the scalp, and I’m one of them). But interesting, Herbal Essences uses those preservatives too, and I don’t think I’ve seen any feedback on that cleansing conditioner, with lawsuits or groups of people saying hair loss, like with Wen? Some other cleansing conditioners too, that I glanced the ingredients of, have those preservatives? Anyways, sometimes I think it hard to nail down which individual ingredient is doing it, if it’s the overall formula, or what.

kitcatsmeow
November 29th, 2018, 09:15 AM
So yeah, if you suspect something is causing hair loss, by all means I agree, stop using it. For me, I believe certain “sulfate free” products with a lot of botanical extracts/ essential oils, etc do that to me, so I just stay away from stuff like that and use only what I know doesn’t start my shedding up, although I get more daring with conditioners since I don’t use those on my scalp.

Just a comment about Wen, though. I don’t think they ever figured out what exactly was causing the hair loss in some people? Some were speculating conditioner on the scalp, but that wasn’t ever proven, and doctors were saying they didn’t think that was a likely cause (although plenty of people here say that’s happened to them with both that, or oils on the scalp, and I’m one of them). But interesting, Herbal Essences uses those preservatives too, and I don’t think I’ve seen any feedback on that cleansing conditioner, with lawsuits or groups of people saying hair loss, like with Wen? Some other cleansing conditioners too, that I glanced the ingredients of, have those preservatives? Anyways, sometimes I think it hard to nail down which individual ingredient is doing it, if it’s the overall formula, or what.

I don’t know anything about Wen or Herbal Essence but I think one of the articles I read mentioned the amount of preservative in the product as well as certain combinations with other ingredients, makes a difference in he effect. As I said in my previous reply, there is no way of knowing for sure which ingredient it truly is but these two are highly suspect because of confirmed similar reactions.

renia22
November 29th, 2018, 11:10 AM
I don’t know anything about Wen or Herbal Essence but I think one of the articles I read mentioned the amount of preservative in the product as well as certain combinations with other ingredients, makes a difference in he effect. As I said in my previous reply, there is no way of knowing for sure which ingredient it truly is but these two are highly suspect because of confirmed similar reactions.

Yes, I hear you. I have my suspicions about certaint things too, and if something irritates me or I think it’s causing shedding, I stop too. Just thinking aloud about the review posted regarding Wen on the first page, I always wondered what it was about it that was causing people to lose their hair.

nycelle
November 29th, 2018, 11:12 AM
I used WEN for a short time (month or so.) I don't remember it causing any hair loss, but it did give me dandruff and greasy hair. Oddly enough, Pantene (the Pro-V line especially) did the same if I used it regularly.

kitcatsmeow
November 29th, 2018, 01:13 PM
Yes, I hear you. I have my suspicions about certaint things too, and if something irritates me or I think it’s causing shedding, I stop too. Just thinking aloud about the review posted regarding Wen on the first page, I always wondered what it was about it that was causing people to lose their hair.

I’d be curious to just because! I’ve never had an issue putting conditioner or oil on my scalp either but I may stop just in case. At this point I gotta try everything to salvage my hair.

renia22
November 29th, 2018, 03:08 PM
I’d be curious to just because! I’ve never had an issue putting conditioner or oil on my scalp either but I may stop just in case. At this point I gotta try everything to salvage my hair.

Oh yes, definitely. Maybe just a shampoo that you know doesn’t bother you & leave everything else off for now, and hopefully it will stop. It’s scary for sure :(.

Wendyclaire
November 29th, 2018, 05:06 PM
I just bought some suave shampoo and conditioner with that in it. I just condition the ends but I love what it did to my hair. Soft and shiny. I never leave it on for long either. No problems so far! Hope you find the problem.

Reservechic
November 29th, 2018, 06:09 PM
In most hair care products there are a ton of ingredients that are put within them. Which is why, being able to correctly identify which ingredient or ingredients is causing you trouble, isn't what I consider to be easy to pinpoint. Which is why, my best advice is to see an allergist (just like [B]lapushka[B] recommended, so that way you can be tested, to see exactly which things you actually are allergic to and which things you're not.

nycelle
November 29th, 2018, 06:17 PM
It's not so easy to just walk into a dermatologists office, and say I feel I'm losing my hair and want to be allergy tested for various shampoo ingredients.
There's a good chance your doctor is gonna look at you like you have two heads.

Allergy testing is very expensive, and for insurance to cover it, it has to be medically necessary as determined by a medical doctor, not a patient (in the US). Most doctors will first tell you to change shampoos or avoid certain ingredients. If there isn't any pain, or physical signs on the scalp (sores, hives and such) allergy testing won't be the first thing they do.

kitcatsmeow
November 29th, 2018, 09:43 PM
It's not so easy to just walk into a dermatologists office, and say I feel I'm losing my hair and want to be allergy tested for various shampoo ingredients.

Allergy testing is very expensive, and for insurance to cover it, it has to be medically necessary as determined by a medical doctor, not a patient (in the US). Most doctors will first tell you to change shampoos or avoid certain ingredients. If there isn't any pain, or physical signs on the scalp (sores, hives and such) allergy testing won't be the first thing they do.

Exactly this.

akurah
November 29th, 2018, 11:03 PM

Allergy tests can also be inconclusive, or in some cases, just not suitable. It gets more complicated when you consider the types of tests available. For example, an allergy skin test on me would come back 100% positive, for everything, because I have dermatographism. A blood test shows I am not allergic to anything.

kitcatsmeow
November 30th, 2018, 01:03 PM
Less and less hair shedding already so while I can’t say for sure it was those specific ingredients, I am most certainly sure it was something in the conditioner.

aethyra
November 30th, 2018, 02:05 PM
Kittycats: yay!!!!!!!!!!!! I tossed my trusty Tresemme moisture conditioner after reading the data you unearthed. I used this 4 times a week for about 15 years. I was a daily shampoo, conditioner and blow dry person for a long time with almost no damage even after highlights for the past 15 years. But with my 2018 shedding and sudden intense dryness w/almost 50% volume loss on my thin fine hair I am absolutely ruined as a woman if i lose anymore.

I am so grateful to you for this. I have used expensive products as well for the past 9 years (Pureology, Ojon, Framesi, Alterna) but Tresemme and Paul Mitchell the Conditioner were always my old standbys for silky soft pretty shiny hair. My guess is that these bad side effects are accumulative over time. In the past I never lost more than 5 hairs on comb out and nothing in the shower.
But when i used Paul Mitchell the Conditioner I would always get at least 10 hairs shed on combout, so I only used it when I had tangled hair. I tossed it out early this year due to the sudden additional shedding

I am so sad that my trusty Tresemme has this chemical compound. My most expensive products, which I have been using the past 3 years are all Kerastase; Therapiste (all 4 products in the line). But these products stopped working and are now perhaps causing shed issues. I have these tiny bumps on my scalp now which I never had with the cheap or moderately expensivestuff.

Stress and chlorine additives being elevated this year are my primary causes of sudden onset of severe dry, matted, ugly, sparseness and shedding of this year. But toxic bioaccumulative products on top of all of that are totally unacceptable.

I truly hope Tresemme will stop using the compound so i can get that silky slip and shine once again without sheds, which i have been getting on post WC combout with Tresemme...

I have tried other kerastase products in desperation this year with this sudden onset of my hair ravagement and only the Bain Magistral Masque from their Nutritive line works now. They have a new sulfate and cone free shampoo and conditioner I like too.. (Aura Botanica) but the slip, shine and softness are not really there with these products.

It is heartbreaking for me so I surely feel intense empathy for any woman or girl going through this type of major crisis.

I pray we ALL get through this with complete resolution!

kitcatsmeow
November 30th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Kittycats: yay!!!!!!!!!!!! I tossed my trusty Tresemme moisture conditioner after reading the data you unearthed. I used this 4 times a week for about 15 years. I was a daily shampoo, conditioner and blow dry person for a long time with almost no damage even after highlights for the past 15 years. But with my 2018 shedding and sudden intense dryness w/almost 50% volume loss on my thin fine hair I am absolutely ruined as a woman if i lose anymore.

I am so grateful to you for this. I have used expensive products as well for the past 9 years (Pureology, Ojon, Framesi, Alterna) but Tresemme and Paul Mitchell the Conditioner were always my old standbys for silky soft pretty shiny hair. My guess is that these bad side effects are accumulative over time. In the past I never lost more than 5 hairs on comb out and nothing in the shower.
But when i used Paul Mitchell the Conditioner I would always get at least 10 hairs shed on combout, so I only used it when I had tangled hair. I tossed it out early this year due to the sudden additional shedding

I am so sad that my trusty Tresemme has this chemical compound. My most expensive products, which I have been using the past 3 years are all Kerastase; Therapiste (all 4 products in the line). But these products stopped working and are now perhaps causing shed issues. I have these tiny bumps on my scalp now which I never had with the cheap or moderately expensivestuff.

Stress and chlorine additives being elevated this year are my primary causes of sudden onset of severe dry, matted, ugly, sparseness and shedding of this year. But toxic bioaccumulative products on top of all of that are totally unacceptable.

I truly hope Tresemme will stop using the compound so i can get that silky slip and shine once again without sheds, which i have been getting on post WC combout with Tresemme...

I have tried other kerastase products in desperation this year with this sudden onset of my hair ravagement and only the Bain Magistral Masque from their Nutritive line works now. They have a new sulfate and cone free shampoo and conditioner I like too.. (Aura Botanica) but theslip and softness are not really there with these products.

It is heartbreaking for me so I surely feel intense empathy for any woman or girl going through this type of major crisis.

I pray we ALL get through this with complete resolution!

I am so so sorry for all your going through and can certainly emphasize to a degree. It’s gut wrenching to pull handfuls of hair out of my brush each time I would run it through my hair. :(
I understand about needing some slip so the only product I use now that isn’t 100% natural is Chi Silk Keratin on my length. Just a pea size.

might I also suggest a shower head filter if you have a lot of chlorine or minerals in your water. It really made a difference for me.

Seeing as that I used the PM conditioner for years but only as a treatment every 3 months or so, I never had any issues up until i started using it weekly. I actually went to a PM school and when I was there I had a reaction to the hair color. My teachers kind of shrugged it off and said it wasn’t probaly something else. Yeah right. I never liked any of their products much anyway except for the keratin treatment. I will have to hunt for something else now!

good luck and I hope you can find your HG products.

jera
November 30th, 2018, 04:36 PM
I’m very lucky that I had a LOT of hair befor this started happening. It will take a long time to recover and I’m just sick over it. Besides this one conditioner, all my products are all natural. Mostly I use Shea moisture, accure and adama minerals.

Are you sure it's not the shampoo doing this to you? I ask because I came back to LHC because of serious hair thinning I've been experiencing for the last three months. In late August I switched to Shea Moisture shampoo, Jamaican black castor oil strengthen and restore formula and my hair has been thinning badly since I switched. I just recently quit that shampoo and my hair is beginning to look better. It's all very stressful. You're so lucky to have had very thick hair to begin with. Hugs. I hope it will work out okay for you.

aethyra
November 30th, 2018, 05:02 PM
I have implemented 2 different shower filters since June. Neither are that great but my hair would have been completely gone without them

kitcatsmeow
November 30th, 2018, 06:02 PM
Are you sure it's not the shampoo doing this to you? I ask because I came back to LHC because of serious hair thinning I've been experiencing for the last three months. In late August I switched to Shea Moisture shampoo, Jamaican black castor oil strengthen and restore formula and my hair has been thinning badly since I switched. I just recently quit that shampoo and my hair is beginning to look better. It's all very stressful. You're so lucky to have had very thick hair to begin with. Hugs. I hope it will work out okay for you.

Prett sure. I’ve been using the same shampoo for years Without any issues.

I’m not surprised the shampoo you’re using caused some shedding. A lot of people have that with castor oil. I used the conditioner without issues.

kitcatsmeow
December 5th, 2018, 08:18 PM
UPDATE:
Good news, my shedding has normalized! Maybe still a bit more than I’d like but it is definitely a lot less which I’m so relieved about.
This last wash I also did not put any conditioner on my scalp the second condition (CWC) since it seemed that’s when all my hair would come out in the shower. So now I’m thinking that may have been the culprit? I dunno. Either way I’m not brave enough to experiment since I need every last hair I have. Maybe I’ll try the PM conditioner on just my length. I always did wash after using that conditioner so it makes more sense it would be the other one but who knows. I’m just glad it’s not coming out in clumps anymore!

2gaits
December 6th, 2018, 12:27 PM
I will chime in on my experience with Wen. I used it consistently for a couple of years. I found lots of hair in the shower drain but I just thought it was normal. After a couple of years I finally realized my hair was thinner but I attributed it to aging. Maybe cost, maybe the lawsuit or just realizing my hair didn't look that great for what I was spending, I stopped using Wen over a year ago. I can't believe how much thicker my hair is now. Feels twice as thick. Was it Wen? Something else? I don't know but I won't use it again.

My sister still uses Wen and honestly her hair doesn't look healthy and is thin. Could be other factors but I suspect the Wen isn't helping.

If you notice changes in your hair, try something else. Took a while for me to realize the thinning and change things.

kitcatsmeow
December 6th, 2018, 12:35 PM
I will chime in on my experience with Wen. I used it consistently for a couple of years. I found lots of hair in the shower drain but I just thought it was normal. After a couple of years I finally realized my hair was thinner but I attributed it to aging. Maybe cost, maybe the lawsuit or just realizing my hair didn't look that great for what I was spending, I stopped using Wen over a year ago. I can't believe how much thicker my hair is now. Feels twice as thick. Was it Wen? Something else? I don't know but I won't use it again.

My sister still uses Wen and honestly her hair doesn't look healthy and is thin. Could be other factors but I suspect the Wen isn't helping.

If you notice changes in your hair, try something else. Took a while for me to realize the thinning and change things.

Thank You for adding your experience! It’s helpful not only to me but I’m sure to others that might be reading this which is why I posted in a he first place.

Amelia777
May 31st, 2021, 03:13 AM
Thank You for adding your experience! It’s helpful not only to me but I’m sure to others that might be reading this which is why I posted in a he first place.
Absolutely! It is better to share such experiences with other people to protect them from the same problems. Thanks! It's a pity I didn't find this post earlier as I also started suffering from hair loss because of methylisothiazolinone (I've been using a Herbal Essences shampoo for a long time). Later I found out that this preservative is linked to lung toxicity, allergic reactions, and possible neurotoxicity. I'm glad that I found the reason. Currently, I'm on Finasteride (I order it from the SPAM website). I know most people think it can be taken only by adult men, the latest studies proved it can be effective for women when taking 5 mg daily. Though this medication should be taken only by prescription, so my advice is to address a doctor first.

0xalis
May 31st, 2021, 05:08 PM
Oh dear god. This means I have to change both my shampoo and conditioner. Are you f***ing kidding me!??!?!?!?!!

Does anyone have recommendations for protein free silicone conditioner and protein free sulphate shampoos that do NOT contain this ingredient..........

lapushka
May 31st, 2021, 05:15 PM
Oh dear god. This means I have to change both my shampoo and conditioner. Are you f***ing kidding me!??!?!?!?!!

Does anyone have recommendations for protein free silicone conditioner and protein free sulphate shampoos that do NOT contain this ingredient..........

Of course, the whole issue started when they were looking for a replacement for... gosh, dare I say it? Parabens. An ingredient that is actually totally *fine* but was condemned too. Turns out the replacers are even more problematic. :rolleyes:

0xalis
May 31st, 2021, 06:07 PM
Of course, the whole issue started when they were looking for a replacement for... gosh, dare I say it? Parabens. An ingredient that is actually totally *fine* but was condemned too. Turns out the replacers are even more problematic. :rolleyes:

Seems like it tends to work that way doesn't it? :rolleyes:

lapushka
June 1st, 2021, 05:41 AM
Seems like it tends to work that way doesn't it? :rolleyes:

To be fair? :o I stopped looking at the ingredients. I just go by my hair. It seems to be doing fine, and so it must not be problematic. Maybe it's silly of me or naive. But that's what I do.

Ylva
June 1st, 2021, 07:15 AM

You probably won't need to unless you're actually experiencing symptoms. I avoid these preservatives as they give me major skin irritation (rash), but they don't cause hair loss for me.

purple_omelette
June 1st, 2021, 05:52 PM
I'll add my 2 cents:

The Wikipedia page on this compound is actually very informative and easy to read. Wikipedia is a fairly reliable source nowadays because it is so rigorously reviewed, so you can trust it most of the time, and can always refer to the citations if you want to know more.

Wikipedia says this product is a known allergen and cytotoxic agent (ie can cause disruption/death to cells) BUT that doesn't mean everyone will experience the same reaction to it (the same way that a peanut can kill one person and be a nutritious snack for another). If you use this product and don't experience any issues, I wouldn't worry. If you ARE experiencing issues, then it might be worth changing to something else, as it is a known cause of dermatitis.

As always, trust your gut and check your sources when deciding if something is right/wrong for you. And remember that natural does not always = good (eg poison ivy, rattlesnake venom) and synthetic doesn't always = bad (eg you would not want your surgeon operating on you without disposable gloves, sterile equipment and a good ventilator!)

Aunt Rapunzel
June 1st, 2021, 06:27 PM
I'm glad that you posted this, as I JUST bought some of the Paul Mitchell Awapuhi Ginger intensive treatments on Saturday. I only used it on the length, as my scalp can be very sensitive, and I was afraid to let it touch my scalp. But after reading several articles about methylisothiazolinone and methylchloroisothiazolinone which are both in there, I'm not sure that I want to use it after all. I only bought it because it was on sale at the salon that was closing. I understand that it doesn't impact everyone in the same way, but those ingredients alone have some pretty negative side-effects possible, and I'm not sure that it's worth the risk to me.

Aunt Rapunzel
June 1st, 2021, 06:28 PM
To be fair? :o I stopped looking at the ingredients. I just go by my hair. It seems to be doing fine, and so it must not be problematic. Maybe it's silly of me or naive. But that's what I do.

Seems like a reasonable approach. And it sounds like it's working for you!

foreveryours
June 1st, 2021, 09:45 PM
Thank you Amelia777 for bumping this thread. It's a timely issue here.

0xalis
June 1st, 2021, 10:15 PM
You probably won't need to unless you're actually experiencing symptoms. I avoid these preservatives as they give me major skin irritation (rash), but they don't cause hair loss for me.

I have noticed more hairfall recently. I was attributing it to hormonal changes, which would make sense given my current circumstances, but given when I changed my shampoo and conditioner it could very well be that.
So I'm going to try something else for a while, if I can find something else, and see if the shedding slows down. If the shed continues, I'll just assume it really is hormonal.

0xalis
June 1st, 2021, 10:19 PM
And remember that natural does not always = good (eg poison ivy, rattlesnake venom) and synthetic doesn't always = bad (eg you would not want your surgeon operating on you without disposable gloves, sterile equipment and a good ventilator!)

This is so, so, SO true!!!!! I really hate it when people say ~oh it's NATURAL~ to claim that something is safe without further evidence.

lapushka
June 2nd, 2021, 08:50 AM
This is so, so, SO true!!!!! I really hate it when people say ~oh it's NATURAL~ to claim that something is safe without further evidence.

I watch this dermatologist on YT, with a pretty rock-solid head on her shoulders, and she can get so up on her soapbox on that issue (with good reason). Love her (Dr Dray).

Kibrah
June 2nd, 2021, 09:44 AM
I agree that natural doesn't mean safe. Worse than poison ivy; poison hemlock, foxglove. Those won't just give you an itchy rash. But, there are also a lot of toxic chemicals in the products we use. I think it's wise to be aware of what you are putting in or on your body no matter if it's synthetic or natural.

lapushka
June 2nd, 2021, 10:39 AM
I agree that natural doesn't mean safe. Worse than poison ivy; poison hemlock, foxglove. Those won't just give you an itchy rash. But, there are also a lot of toxic chemicals in the products we use. I think it's wise to be aware of what you are putting in or on your body no matter if it's synthetic or natural.

Oh for sure. I keep an eye on it, for me personally... I mean, I'm not blind, right? :D But if I see no issue, I'm not going to make it one, if that makes sense.

0xalis
June 2nd, 2021, 05:49 PM
It would make sense if these ingredients are the source of my shedding, the old conditioner I was using doesn't contain it. Back then I was co-washing only.
I switched because my hair likes silicones better, the old conditioner was silicone-free and had mineral oil which was (probably) taking ALL of the wave out of my hair.
Worst case scenario I could just go back to the old conditioner, but I really want to find something that has silicones.
None of the Garnier products I've looked at contain these ingredients, but I think they also tend to stay away from silicones, and I need something protein-free, so this is gonna be tough.

0xalis
June 3rd, 2021, 12:46 PM
My ponytail circumference is the same as the last time I measured it, which was months ago. Thank goodness! The shedding hasn't done any lasting damage yet.
Could be anything anyway, it's not like I know for sure it's the Methylchloroisothiazolinone and Methylisothiazolinone.

On the bright side: This is just an excuse to try new things! If I find the shedding decreases when I switch products, I'll avoid those ingredients from now on.

Arciela
June 3rd, 2021, 02:13 PM
This happened to my sister. She lost a ton of hair using Wen. However, I used it and lost none..hmm.

It did make my scalp itch though which is a huge no no for me :lol:

She since stopped using it and her hair isn't falling out anymore :flower: