PDA

View Full Version : Easy Buns Not Requiring Hair Pins.

Missymo
November 28th, 2018, 03:56 AM
Hi, does anybody know of any buns that would be suited for fine waist length hair that don't require hair or bobby pins, bun instead can be done with a hair tie, scrunchie or chop stick? I've tried using hair pins in the past and while they do hold my hair up I find the buns get really heavy and uncomfortable as I have to use around 12-15 pins to make sure the bun is firm and the pins do catch on my hair when I take them out.

Ylva
November 28th, 2018, 04:08 AM
Have you tried if you’re able to do a nautilus bun at your length? It’s my favourite bun by far of those that I can do, really secure with a stick.

gingerninja
November 28th, 2018, 08:24 AM
Depending on your thickness you might be able to do a lazy wrap bun or a braided variant which I could do when I was at waist.

CopperButterfly
November 28th, 2018, 08:44 AM
I think you could probably do a lazy wrap bun, and definitely a disc bun. Search youtube for tutorials on both. They both hold well with a stick or a fork. I can just manage to do a lwb, and I'm just bsl.

teeks
November 28th, 2018, 09:12 AM
Maybe a knot bun, I don't remember when i started wearing my hair like that.

MusicalSpoons
November 28th, 2018, 10:40 AM
The Hairstyle Thesaurus (https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=145554) might help - you can search by type to find buns. Obviously some of the styles will require more length, depending on how thick your hair is, but you can have fun trying different ones to see what works for you :)

lapushka
November 28th, 2018, 11:28 AM
A Nautilus always falls out without a fork, but a LWB (lazy wrap bun) always stayed in for me without any fork. I notice when taking them out at night, the Nautilus falls right down and the LWB stays put.

I would try a LWB, as you can usually do a LWB prior to a Nautilus; if you can do buns at all.

What's your circumference? I'm iii, and had to wait to waist'ish - hip (comfortable) to do a bun.

MusicalSpoons
November 28th, 2018, 03:05 PM
A Nautilus always falls out without a fork, but a LWB (lazy wrap bun) always stayed in for me without any fork. I notice when taking them out at night, the Nautilus falls right down and the LWB stays put.

I think it really depends on technique and how your hair behaves :) there are people who do a nautilus and it can hold by itself, somehow! (Not my hair though, no chance!) But yes, I do agree a LWB has a higher chance of success, length-wise.

lapushka
November 28th, 2018, 04:38 PM
I think it really depends on technique and how your hair behaves :) there are people who do a nautilus and it can hold by itself, somehow! (Not my hair though, no chance!) But yes, I do agree a LWB has a higher chance of success, length-wise.

I think it's because I can "barely" do a Nautilus. The LWB for me was w/ plenty wrap-arounds so it hung on. But my Nautilus? Barely one wrap around for me, so... there's that. I do have enough length, just could use more. :)

lithostoic
November 28th, 2018, 05:21 PM
I can't do any bun without securing it. A regular twisted bun also known as a bantu knot, holds with a hairtie or scrunchie! For stick buns I like the lwb!

Missymo
November 28th, 2018, 06:13 PM
I have tried doing a nautilus but I've not been able as of yet to figure out it works.

Lapushka my hair is about 3.5 inches in circumference and is long enough for some buns.

Thank you all for the different ideas I'll give them a go and see how they work. :)

lapushka
December 2nd, 2018, 09:56 AM
I have tried doing a nautilus but I've not been able as of yet to figure out it works.

Lapushka my hair is about 3.5 inches in circumference and is long enough for some buns.

Thank you all for the different ideas I'll give them a go and see how they work. :)

That is quite thick, though. I am 4.25 in circumference and had to wait to hip to do a good comfy bun.

I wore a peacock twist with a claw clip (later turned log roll) for all the time up to that!