View Full Version : Scissors recommendation?

Lisa-K
November 28th, 2018, 03:00 AM
I've owned a pair of wonderful hair shears for about 15 years now. I don't know how I did it, but I managed to lose them. I never really paid attention to the brand that was labeled on them, and I cannot for the life of me remember. So, I'm totally lost now. I need new scissors. Any particular brand you would recommend?

TreesOfEternity
November 28th, 2018, 04:37 AM
I use the brand "3 claveles", they work really well and are top quality. They must sell their products out of Spain for sure, at least online.

lapushka
November 28th, 2018, 07:41 AM
Just make sure the blades are Japanese steel. The Mane Choice do them, and they are a good example of what you should be looking for. Not saying you need to get these exact ones but they are at the price point for good shears!
https://themanechoice.com/products/shear-surgical-precision-professional-cut-split-end-eliminator

Lisa-K
November 28th, 2018, 10:00 AM
Just make sure the blades are Japanese steel. The Mane Choice do them, and they are a good example of what you should be looking for. Not saying you need to get these exact ones but they are at the price point for good shears!
https://themanechoice.com/products/shear-surgical-precision-professional-cut-split-end-eliminator

It doesn't even mention the size of the shears though ... Any idea? I mean, for that price I'd like to know lol

Lisa-K
November 28th, 2018, 10:01 AM
I use the brand "3 claveles", they work really well and are top quality. They must sell their products out of Spain for sure, at least online.

Thanks! I found them on Amazon. They're about the same price range as my old shears back in the day. It was a German brand if I remember well. The 3 Claveles ones look quite nice! Definitely keeping that as an option, since it has free shipping on it. Hehe

lapushka
November 28th, 2018, 10:45 AM
It doesn't even mention the size of the shears though ... Any idea? I mean, for that price I'd like to know lol

I think they're 5 inches, or 5.5 - Just a standard size; let me see if I can find some info on it. Nope, maybe try Googling?

If you click on "read more" there's more info there; but they should be between 5 & 6 inches.

I'm sure you can find YT videos of people using them!

Groovy Granny
November 28th, 2018, 10:58 AM
I :love: my Equinox Professional Scissors from Amazon; 5.5" with adjustable tension and came in their own case.

The particular model I bought a year ago is not available but I see they have a few similar options.

lapushka
November 28th, 2018, 11:34 AM
Whatever shears you get, do get the Japanese steel (it's razorsharp) and sharpness = important, most certainly if you're iii and you need to snip through your hair.

If your scissors make a "sawing" motion to cut, it usually means they are not sharp enough.

Mine snip through just about anything (snipped through my finger webbing twice). Raaazorsharp!

Mine are the brand "Ultron", but you can only get those in the EU.

Lisa-K
November 29th, 2018, 12:21 AM
Whatever shears you get, do get the Japanese steel (it's razorsharp) and sharpness = important, most certainly if you're iii and you need to snip through your hair.

If your scissors make a "sawing" motion to cut, it usually means they are not sharp enough.

Mine snip through just about anything (snipped through my finger webbing twice). Raaazorsharp!

Mine are the brand "Ultron", but you can only get those in the EU.

Where did you buy yours? I'm in Belgium too!

lapushka
November 29th, 2018, 06:18 AM
Where did you buy yours? I'm in Belgium too!

I bought them in The Netherlands.

I'll give you the exact link to them, hold on!
http://www.flash-world.nl/catalog/index.php?cPath=31_429

Get the 50 euro ones (!!! EXCL. VAT/BTW). I think it's about 12 euro shipping, so it is a lot, but I'm sure you can find these on other hair supply sites, even in Belgium. It's that I needed something there that I couldn't find elsewhere (for my mom).

Be careful putting things in your basket if you have filled out your details (and have created an account), because they will send you an invoice before you even have checked out (happened to me and I had to protest), so actually I no longer recommend this store, but in any case you can see the shears there. I'm sure you can find them on different sites!

Lisa-K
November 29th, 2018, 01:13 PM
^^ Thanks!! I found these: https://kapperswebshop.be/index.php?item=zebra-ergonomische-schaar-5-5&action=article&aid=8207&lang=nl#.XABIMxNKi_I (https://kapperswebshop.be/index.php?item=zebra-ergonomische-schaar-5-5&action=article&aid=8207&lang=nl#.XABIMxNKi_I) They're zebra ... lol Who cares, I guess? Haha

lapushka
November 29th, 2018, 02:28 PM
Oooeh zebra print. I got the regular ones (they no longer sell them without a print, but these are 10+ years old) and when the sale hit this year I got camo ones (pink).

languagenut
December 4th, 2018, 12:51 AM
Just don't buy Conair. I bought a pair of Conair hair scissors, and I think they even claimed to be Japanese steel. But they're not very sharp at all. I know; I'm that kind of person that touches blades to see if they're sharp :disgust:... my mom's old fabric shears are sharper than that :scissors:. Not that you were looking for something in that range, but for anyone reading this thread, don't fall for the low price point; at least for me it was a total waste of money. :nono:

iforgotmylogin
December 4th, 2018, 01:49 AM
Japanese steel really means nothing. The actual alloy and how they are ground does

lapushka
December 4th, 2018, 05:28 AM
Japanese steel really means nothing. The actual alloy and how they are ground does

Yes but everyone "knows" what you mean when you say it, and it is a selling point, and the blades are razorsharp, so it does mean something and stand for something when you want to buy good shears. It's better than shears that don't have it.

Pouncequick
December 4th, 2018, 12:25 PM
So should the price point be around $50 USD with Japanese steel? I'm just not quite sure what the general recommendation would be.

iforgotmylogin
December 4th, 2018, 01:59 PM
Yes but everyone "knows" what you mean when you say it, and it is a selling point, and the blades are razorsharp, so it does mean something and stand for something when you want to buy good shears. It's better than shears that don't have it.

It's only purpose is to invoke mental images of katanas. It can be of any sharpness and any material that is mostly iron, there's no knowing exactly what it means because it is deliberately vague. You wouldn't want shears made of mild steel for instance, but it would qualify for the term as long as it came from Japan

I don't know much about hair, but engineering on the other hand...

littlestarface
December 4th, 2018, 02:13 PM
It's only purpose is to invoke mental images of katanas. It can be of any sharpness and any material that is mostly iron, there's no knowing exactly what it means because it is deliberately vague. You wouldn't want shears made of mild steel for instance, but it would qualify for the term as long as it came from Japan

I don't know much about hair, but engineering on the other hand...

If only I could have scissors made from japanese steel folded a thousand times.

I wanna go in a time machine go to ancient syria and have them make me scissors made of pure damask steel.

iforgotmylogin
December 4th, 2018, 11:12 PM
Now that Wolverine is dead, you could rob his grave for his adamantium claws