PDA

View Full Version : Bangs..

nycelle
November 27th, 2018, 01:30 PM
Bangs, Bangs, Baaaangs...Been going back and forth for about a year, but can't get them out of my head at all this last month.
Really want curtain bangs like Dakota Johnson since the entire style looks so carefree and low maintenance. Plus, I think I can make it work on my hair.

Now I know many of you will say that growing them out is a pain, but I disagree. Last time I had bangs was during the side swept bang craze and I never had an issue growing them out. Probably because my hair has always been angled in the front since I'm not a fan hair all one length.

What's holding me back is the reality of how often I'll need to get them trimmed, probably every 3 or so weeks... not sure if I can manage going into a salon that often. Also, finding a stylist who can do a good fringe is difficult. I "think" I may have found one, at least based on the IG pics, but you just never know.

So should I go for it? Shouldn't I??
Decisions, decisions..

Here's my hair today (without any product hence the frizz).

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34210&d=1543350494

And here's what I want

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34208&d=1543349930
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34207&d=1543349897

And the Mother of the Curtain Bang: Bridget Bardot
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34209&d=1543349948

AmaryllisRed
November 27th, 2018, 02:19 PM
Go for it! Those look long enough they wouldn't take too long to grow out if you changed your mind. And there's always pins and headbands.
I always just cut bangs myself.

lapushka
November 27th, 2018, 02:28 PM
It's not so much growing them out that is a pain, it is just the simple fact of having them. If you have oilier hair, be prepared to wash and style them daily, or... as good as; and it's that that is such a problem for a lot of people.

Anyway, it's your decision, and if you want them, go for it! :)

Estrid
November 27th, 2018, 02:45 PM
Urgh, bangs... Just seeing the photos makes me want to attempt that devil again, but it never works with my hair. It may look beautiful on you, though, and if it's only the upkeep you're concerned about, I think you should go for it. It's not that hard to keep bangs in shape, sure, maybe you'll have to wash them more frequently than your hair, and you have to trim them quite often, but if it's something you want and like, I don't see why that would stop you :p

nycelle
November 27th, 2018, 02:55 PM
Yeah.. I'm definitely leaning towards it!

I don't have oily hair so didn't think I'd have to wash more than I normally would. Interesting point.

Doreen
November 27th, 2018, 03:08 PM
I started growing out my bangs in 2015 (after having bangs all my life up to that point) and they're around TBL now, barely noticeable. I've been thinking of cutting them in again too. Personally I never minded the growing out process, and it was fun to curl them when I had the time. Around chin length they become very easy to conceal in french braids or with a couple pins to get them to blend in with a bun.

And although I didn't prefer to trim my own bangs, I eventually learned to do it pretty decently and only went to a salon if I had something important coming up. Mine were super thick and blunt, so self-trim might be even easier with the type of bangs you're thinking of getting! I think you should go for it. Worst that can happen is you have to wait for them to grow back, but the itch will have been scratched. After typing out that first paragraph I just might go for it.

TreesOfEternity
November 27th, 2018, 03:22 PM
If the only thing holding you back is their mantainance I say go for them. I think that particular style would go really well with your texture. I just love bangs, I’ve been growing out mine for some months now and will get them again by the end of the year when the no trimming challenge ends (I won’t even trim my length though, only the bangs that are barely down to my mouth).

I’ve had bangs for years so my advice is use your (or invest in) good pair of scissors to fix it at home. It’s way easier than it seems, waaaay easier than trimming the length for instance, and if you make a mistake it won’t be noticeable in a couple of weeks anyway.

Lady Stardust
November 27th, 2018, 03:36 PM
Go for it :) The style you’re after should be fine in between trims, and you can always trim them yourself after you’ve had the initial cut done. I trimmed my fringe for the first time earlier this year and it was much easier than I expected.

Suortuva
November 27th, 2018, 03:47 PM
I say go for it, too!
I have had bangs so many times, and I always say, this is the last time ever. And then I miss them. Maybe it's time for me again soon. And I have recently realised that bangwise I'm happiest when I'm growing them out. I have never had problem with that part...

MoonRabbit
November 27th, 2018, 04:16 PM
I've been thinking about bangs for over a year now as well. The only thing that keeps stopping me is how hot they make me in summer. But I want them so bad.

I think they would look so nice on your hair!

nycelle
November 27th, 2018, 04:18 PM
You guys are the push I need!!

*Wednesday*
November 27th, 2018, 05:12 PM
I have bangs. Since I was little. I don't look right without them. Go for it! Why not 😀

Love your face block ❤

lucid
November 27th, 2018, 05:32 PM
You can easily maintain them yourself. Make the hairdresser cut them how you want, and then it's easy maintaining that shape yourself.

maborosi
November 27th, 2018, 06:11 PM
Personally, bangs are the one consistent thing for me across all the years, lol. I feel like they really soften up my look. Some people look great with/without them, and I think I look best with them.

The only decision for me is always...blunt cut vs straight.

When it comes to oiliness, I usually dry shampoo my bangs daily. I have oily skin and my bangs get oily VERY FAST.

Obsidian
November 27th, 2018, 06:48 PM
I cut bangs just a couple weeks ago and did a surprisingly good job. I'll probably only trim them every couple months or so, I don't mind if they get overly long. Luckily I do have a good stylist and when I go in for trims, I'll have her even up anything I did wrong.

C_Bookworm
November 27th, 2018, 07:16 PM
I loooove the pictures you posted, particularly of Dakota Johnson. Bangs push her from being generically pretty to memorable. And her bangs seem so low maintenance.

I’ve grown out bangs a number of times, and never felt the growing out process was particularly trying. For me, it was the simple fact that my bangs take work in a way that the rest of my hair doesn’t. I’m a very wash-and-go person, but my bangs have to be heat styled or they turn out at funny angles or form ringlets. So I’ll end up cutting them in, loving them for a couple months, and then growing them out when I want to go back to true wash-and-go.

PixieNixie
November 27th, 2018, 08:33 PM
If you have any texture in your hair (waves or curls), your bangs will have it to... The reason I say this is because I have a love/hate relationship with my bangs. Somedays I love them and other days I hate them. My hair is naturally wavy so my bangs tend to have a mind of their own. I like for them to lay down straight but sometimes they form ringlets or crazy waves and all I can do is just pin them back. Before I got serious about taking care of my hair, I would just flat iron them everyday. Now it is a daily wait and see on how they are behaving to what I end up doing with them. They have gotten better since I have grown them out long enough to tuck behind my ear. I say go for it if ya really wanna. I think updos look super cute with bangs.

blesseddamozel
November 27th, 2018, 08:33 PM
Go for it, I think they'd suit your hair!!

Julescarm
November 27th, 2018, 09:42 PM
Now you all have me thinking about the idea of bangs! My forehead is very high being Alaskan. I shall go to consult my husband and personal stylist.

Katsura
November 27th, 2018, 09:57 PM
You hair is so pretty, I think bangs would be lovely. I've always had bangs, I couldn't think about myself without them.

illicitlizard
November 27th, 2018, 10:15 PM
Omg yes! I reckon they'd look cute as. The maintenance can be a bit much, but maybe you could trim the bangs in between salon visits so you don't have to go in so often? I used to do that with my side bangs.

Kalamazoo
November 27th, 2018, 10:38 PM
Yes! Bangs for you! :cheer:

I gave myself bangs when I was in college. For me, it was very easy. I wanted them cut on the diagonal, so I just got ahold of the hairs I wanted involved in my "window" (so I could see out of my hair!), stood in front of the mirror, and figured my waves would make them spring back shorter than I cut them, so I didn't cut the shortest part of the diagonal any shorter than eyeball length, if that makes sense.

The thing I didn't like about them was that I couldn't trim them often enough to keep them the length I liked, because I couldn't get ahold of them rightly until they were too long.

So eventually, I just grew them out.

Now, I do pseudo-bangs. I either wear a headband or milkmaid braids, & drape hairs across my forehead in such a way as to simulate bangs by combing them forward a bit from under the headband, or else pinning them in place.

But yes, your forehead would definitely be graced by some fringe.

Sora Rose
November 28th, 2018, 02:35 AM
Bangs like that might just look great on you. :D I have had bangs all my life and about a year and half ago randomly decided to grow them out. I'll admit that I'm much happier without them and don't miss them a bit, but I have cowlicks on either side of my head that made them have the most curious (and large) loops right by my hairline that would never brush out or stay down. :( Besides, I hated the maintenance.

But if you don't have any issues with that, though, I don't see why not.

Joules
November 28th, 2018, 05:50 AM
Bangs are great! I say go for it! And I don't think growing them out is a pain in the behind, as long as you're prepared and know what to do, it's quite easy.

Funny enough, I had a dream about bangs today, lol. In my dream I just cut them in myself and couldn't decide whether I liked them or regretted everything :bluebiggr. I'm growing out henna and thinking about cutting in bangs around Spring time when I have enough regrowth for my bangs to be 100% natural color. I'd have to have side-swept ones, since I don't want to deal with blowdryers and stuff like that, my hair naturally falls on the side quite perfectly. Maybe this thread will help me decide too.

LizzyGrant
November 28th, 2018, 06:15 AM
I think bangs would look great on you :o I have see through bangs, they are a little similar like those curtain bangs you posted. I love bangs, I always end up missing them when I grow them out. I like to have something framing my face and bangs really soften features. At least for me, bangs are quite low maintenance. I only wash them when I wash my hair, they don't need heat styling and I trim them myself.

spitfire511
November 28th, 2018, 06:54 AM
Agreed with all the others - think you should totally go for it - since you've had them before you know what you're in for - the good and the bad - and I think that would be a super cute look with your hair!

Can't wait to see post photos! :D

nycelle
November 28th, 2018, 08:25 AM
Thanks for weighing in guys.

I'm gonna do it. Just need to make an appointment now.

TreesOfEternity
November 28th, 2018, 09:48 AM

Yay!! :cheer: Hope to see some pics afterwards! Team bangs!

AmaryllisRed
November 28th, 2018, 11:36 AM

Seconded! I'm excited for you.

Suortuva
November 28th, 2018, 12:03 PM
Yes!

I'm sure you're bangs will be gorgeous!

Hmm, I want bangs too, lol.

C_Bookworm
November 28th, 2018, 12:54 PM
Woot woot! Yes please post pictures :popcorn:

lapushka
November 28th, 2018, 01:06 PM
You can easily maintain them yourself. Make the hairdresser cut them how you want, and then it's easy maintaining that shape yourself.

Yes. This! ^^

Once you have that "difference" between the length and the short pieces, it's easy to discover how she did it, and easy enough to snip a bit off of the shape; plenty of ways to do it too (on YT etc.).

Astrid Carlisle
November 29th, 2018, 03:58 AM
I recently cut bangs as well! I am so happy I did, and actually it's not that hard to maintain! It takes 1 min to wash in the sink with condishioner or shampoo and then either leave them to dry, or blow dry in 1 min! And i think mine are similar to what You were planning to do!
I also did an appointment to cut them in, and I trimmed them myself again a week ago, although maybe messed it up a little, but they already grew out again. Can't wait to see your pic!!!!

Astrid Carlisle
November 29th, 2018, 04:05 AM
By the way, haven't seen a thread for Bangs (as in being happy with them, only seen one on Growing out bangs), maybe we should make one? :D

TreesOfEternity
November 29th, 2018, 05:04 AM
By the way, haven't seen a thread for Bangs (as in being happy with them, only seen one on Growing out bangs), maybe we should make one? :D

Oh we really should! I was going to search for that very thread actually! :)

LittleTea
November 29th, 2018, 11:13 AM
Congratulations on the bangs!! :blossom:

I've had mine for 7 years now, so I am growing them out for a change, but I do not regret them at all. :D

When I first got them cut, I went to a hairdresser. However, after that first shape-up I never went back to save myself money lol.

If you decide to start cutting your own bangs, I found it was easier to get the desired shape by parting the bangs lengthwise into two sections. The bottom section is the "test section", and then once that bottom section is cut it's easier to shape the top section. ;)

gustavonut
November 29th, 2018, 12:15 PM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34239&d=1543485890
Yes! I love bangs :o

Aerya
November 29th, 2018, 01:27 PM
https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=34239&d=1543485890
Yes! I love bangs :o

Oh, they look great on you! :)

I have been thinking a little about cutting bangs myself once my roots are long enough that they would be all virgin.. but I have done so several times in the past and I like it for about two days and then decide to grow out. I think it is time to accept that I just don't have the face for bangs.. but at least I can enjoy them on others! :)

Suortuva
November 29th, 2018, 02:16 PM
I have been thinking a little about cutting bangs myself once my roots are long enough that they would be all virgin..

Oh this! Maybe I do this, when my virgin growth is long enough (I think it might be soon). Because I have been thinking about bangs, I almost cut them this summer, but my hairdresser said no, she said it was too hot for that... But this would be a nice way to enjoy my virgin hair.

And maybe this thread is already a happy-bangs-thread.

Todd
November 29th, 2018, 02:58 PM
Bangs are awesome! I had 'em for years.... Haven't been brave enough to cut them in again though.

Dark40
November 29th, 2018, 07:38 PM
I would say, "Go for it too!" I love my fringe! I've been wearing a fringe or bangs ever since I was a 6 or 7 years old. I'm not no big fan of all in one length either. My hair bangs grow fast too, and i only have to trim them every 5 weeks at least. But yes, I think they would also look nice on you too. BTW, your hair looks beautiful today too! :)

Suortuva
November 30th, 2018, 07:07 AM
Ah, gustavonut, you have my dream bangs!

gustavonut
November 30th, 2018, 09:47 AM
Ah, gustavonut, you have my dream bangs!

Oh my gosh, you put happy tears in my eyes, thank you so much :blossom:

Aerya
November 30th, 2018, 01:32 PM
Oh this! Maybe I do this, when my virgin growth is long enough (I think it might be soon). Because I have been thinking about bangs, I almost cut them this summer, but my hairdresser said no, she said it was too hot for that... But this would be a nice way to enjoy my virgin hair.

I was thinking that too, that it would be a nice little celebration of my virgin hair, finally having a "length" that is all natural and healthy. I haven't had that in years... Boy it is tempting to try and see what my healthy ends would feel like!

Rowdy
November 30th, 2018, 01:43 PM

I was thinking that too, that it would be a nice little celebration of my virgin hair, finally having a "length" that is all natural and healthy. I haven't had that in years... Boy it is tempting to try and see what my healthy ends would feel like!

This is what I did but with a longer face frame instead. It felt great to not have the dyed hair around my face!

Rebecky
November 30th, 2018, 05:39 PM
I came here hoping this thread was about growing OUT bangs and maybe some ideas what to do with this long fringe that is so much shorter than my bsl hair. I will keep searching :poot:

AmaryllisRed
November 30th, 2018, 06:20 PM
I came here hoping this thread was about growing OUT bangs and maybe some ideas what to do with this long fringe that is so much shorter than my bsl hair. I will keep searching :poot:

Oh there is a growing out bangs support thread around here somewhere. Probably like page 3.
I like to rope braid mine off to the side and pin it.

Suortuva
December 1st, 2018, 03:54 PM

Eeeh, I'm... I think I'm gonna make an appointment for getting bangs too (and I need trim a bit anyway...).

This thread has been super inspiring. Love the pictures nycelle posted. And like the bangs Kitty has in Elementary. And it's like gustavonuts bang are the last drop, I really need this change too. Seeing pictures of myself without bangs makes me a bit miserable too.

PixieNixie
December 1st, 2018, 07:03 PM
Checking back for pics ;)

gustavonut
December 2nd, 2018, 06:13 AM
Suortova I say go for it! But beware, I have to wash, dry, and straighten my bangs daily to keep them nice. If I’m staying at home I usually just pin them to the side and that’s it.
Also one tip I can give is if you wear make up, try to avoid putting any foundation on your forehead or if you have to just put on powder foundation to limit any oily-ness.

BrightEyes
December 2nd, 2018, 07:18 AM
Yes you should do it! I have similar bangs and I love them :heartbeat

TreesOfEternity
December 2nd, 2018, 07:54 AM
Ok guys, so I just created this thread so we can keep this conversation alive and share our pics and advice regarding bangs/fringe :cheer:

https://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=148354&p=3619016#post3619016