PDA

View Full Version : Hair down in colder weather?

AJoifulNoise
November 4th, 2008, 07:24 AM
I was looking at the "How are you wearing your hair today?" thread on The Mane Forum and I noticed that a lot of people are wearing their hair down.

I've noticed as the weather has gotten cooler, my desire to wear my hair down has risen. I still wear it up much of the time, but the desire is there.

So, I thought it'd be a lovely idea for a new poll. Do you wear your hair down more in cooler weather?

neon-dream
November 4th, 2008, 07:30 AM
Yeah I wear my hair down most of the time :)
when its cold it keeps me warm hehe
xxx

Siava
November 4th, 2008, 07:34 AM
Wash days are the only days my curls look best. I'll wear it up after today until I wash it again. I'm not more prone to wear it down when the weather gets cold mainly because wind accompanies the cooler weather. Tangled curls are a pain to deal with.

jojo
November 4th, 2008, 07:51 AM
I wear mine up most of the time due to my work but on my days off it is down more than it is up!

Alaia
November 4th, 2008, 07:52 AM
I enjoy wearing it down to keep my neck warm. Gotta watch out for that wind (and rain) though! ;)

mommy101405
November 4th, 2008, 07:54 AM
I am the opposite. I wear mine up more. For one thing its gets much more windy in the cooler months here. Plus as soon as my hair touches my coat I end up with a big static mess.

Darkhorse1
November 4th, 2008, 06:25 PM
I always wear my hair back at the barn/work, so when I'm not there, I wear it down--unless it's really hot.

Sammybunny711
November 4th, 2008, 06:33 PM
*sniff sniff* I wish my hair was long to keep me warms....*teh sob*

Magicknthenight
November 4th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I am the opposite. I wear mine up more. For one thing its gets much more windy in the cooler months here. Plus as soon as my hair touches my coat I end up with a big static mess.
Same here. I've been hearing a lot from people lately that when winter comes they can put their hair down to keep them warm. I am quite the opposite. I will most likely have it up and covered. I mean..yea down would be nice and warm..but the tangles!shudder: X_X too much wind! I just think of the damage!:headache: So i really wanna protect it from that.:luke:

ETA: i wear my hair up most of the time anyways though...

Vitalai
November 4th, 2008, 07:49 PM
I started wearing my hair down today. It was really cold, and my hair kept my neck nice and cozy.

yogachic
November 4th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I sure do. Getting up at 4 am and heading to my car at 5am in below zero weather is pretty darn cold with a bare neck. This is the exact reason I don't care for short hair. I use longer hair as a neck warmer. I freeze with no hair on my neck.

Angellen
November 4th, 2008, 10:03 PM
I haven't noticed too much of a change, although in early to mid fall I was wearing it down a lot. As usual, though, it's almost always up. At TB the wind will play havoc with my hair if it's down.

If I were waist or shorter, I'd wear it down all the time. But as it is, I can't afford to. I have been wearing it in a braid more often, though.

RavennaNight
November 4th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Yup. Hair down=cozier and warmer. But I'm a big hair-down-loving person.

may1em
November 4th, 2008, 11:44 PM
If anything, I'm less likely to wear it down in the summer because I get to hot! The other seasons it's about the same.

I also wash less in the winter, and when my hair is farther from wash day, I wear it up. I do like that I can take it down to keep me warm at any time, though.

Teakafrog
November 5th, 2008, 12:00 PM
Yep, down = warmer. So obviously, as hot-blooded as I am, I never wear it down in the summer. Ever. Way too hot.

Deborah
November 5th, 2008, 12:53 PM
Down in the summer is just miserably hot. In the winter it really does keep my back nice and warm, but cold weather creates a lot of static electricity, so I seldom wear it down anyway.

aisling
November 5th, 2008, 01:20 PM
No way! I wear it up like usual, the tangles, the drying of the ends due to dry air and so, are just not worth it. And I'm fully capable of keeping myself and my neck warm with sweaters, turtle necks and/or scarves, the colder weather just gives me a long awaited for excuse to use my beloved turtle necks for example.

Arctic
November 5th, 2008, 01:56 PM
Lot of very new members are posting in that thread, so that might explain why there are many who wear theirs down.

Me, I don't like having hair on my face and wear it up or braided most of the time, summer or winter.

Anje
November 5th, 2008, 02:41 PM
I think I tend to wear more braids in the winter because they're generally more hat-compatible than a bun held with a hairstick is. (Now if I make myself one of these bun-friendly hats, it might change...) Other than that, it's more practical for me to wear my hair up, or at least back, than to wear it loose, so it's back year-round. In the drier winter months, I also need to be extra-careful about my hair getting dry, which necessitates more updos, as my hair is noticably drier after a day loose than after a day in a bun.

Vitalai, I had to smile when you said it was really cold in So. Cal. This week's been better, but last week I had to scrape frost off my car before I left for class in the morning. In my mind, SoCal is perfect year-round, and I've been enjoying warmer winters since moving to IN from WI.

Sunny
November 5th, 2008, 03:23 PM
Unfortunately, it's still too warm here (Texas) to really qualify for cold-weather hair. I like to wear hats in the winter, so my style depends on the hat. If I'm wearing my cloche, it has to be down. Nothing will fit underneath it. My 1930s woman's fedora, though, definitely looks best with my hair up. Most of the time I really don't like the look of hair down with a hat, anyway. This one looks great with my hair up. It has to be low, though, so I usually do braids at the nape of my neck or a big, low roll in the same place.

When my hair is up, I make sure I have a scarf or a muffler, or at least a coat with a good collar. My heaviest coat has a Persian lamb collar with an extra hook that snugs it up around the throat - very cozy! The hat I'm wearing keeps my head and ears warm, so I'm toasty. :)

Jessikinz
November 5th, 2008, 07:42 PM
I wear it up no matter what the weather is. If I leave it down in the winter it will get really dry. The only time it is down is when it is drying from being washed. I will leave it like that until it is fully dry and than it goes back up. I guess I'm a little protective with having it up hehe.

Arctic_Mama
November 11th, 2008, 03:18 AM
I know I SHOULDN'T wear my hair down in brutally cold weather, but it just *feels* like hair down weather. Fortunately I don't prance around outside too often, so it's not too damaging.

jivete
November 11th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I've been wearing mine down more at work (if I'm outside it's almost always up). I work in an office though, so I don't think it's very damaging. Plus, I can S&D that way while I'm sitting at my desk and my ends get weird when it's up.

But I'm trying to alternate.

Patrycja
November 11th, 2008, 07:45 AM
I wear mine down.Keeps my neck and with a scarf...warmness!

Elphie
November 11th, 2008, 08:03 AM
Once in a while I consider it during the winter, I start out with it down but I usually tie it back in a pony by about ten am because it's just in my way. My hair down pic in my album even has a slight dent where my hair band was.

Copasetic
November 11th, 2008, 08:20 AM
i wear my hair down a lot more in cold weather, because i have to wear a winter hat, and they are pretty hard to put over a pony tail.

Kaeri
November 11th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I'm always tempted to when it gets to winter cold. I think theres probably a couple of occasions last year when I did but I've got myself a nice warm fluffy scarf to wear this winter so when it turns cold I'll be wearing that instead.

CaityBear
November 11th, 2008, 08:49 PM
Last year I wore it up while going to school and once I was in school I'd either leave it up or let it down. Part of that is also I shower in the morning so my hair is only about 80-90% dry when I go to school and I absolutely hate partially wet hair and cold. lol

zen_oven
November 11th, 2008, 08:59 PM
It doesn't usually get all that cold here, but on cool days I do like to have it down--keeps my neck warm.

Ryanne
November 11th, 2008, 11:48 PM
I wear it half-up. There still hangs a small part of hair out of my bun thingie, covering most of my neck.

Miyani
November 11th, 2008, 11:53 PM
It's always cold here but whenever it's like too cold for me, I wear my hair down, but today I wore it up all day b/c of the wind. I hate cold, chilly wind! lol

Kyamo
November 12th, 2008, 12:01 PM
Not really, because its windy, and more so because I think my coat/coat collar is damaging.

sissadawn
January 23rd, 2009, 11:02 AM
I wear it down to school a lot, the treck across campus is very long and cold, I do get a few more tangles doing that though.:rolleyes:

LaurelSpring
January 23rd, 2009, 11:13 AM
This is my first LHC winter and I wasnt sure exaclty how I was going to handle it. When it first got cool I stayed with my updos and used my hooded scarf but as things got colder that wasnt keeping me warm enough so I switched to wearing my hair down so I could wear my hat and scarf comfortably and taking my hairtoys with me. When I get to work or wherever I am going I whip it up and then down again when I have to go back out etc. Its a real PITA but that is how I am coping. If I am just going to the grocery store or whatever I braid it and put my cap over it and keep the braid under my coat.

I will be so glad when I dont have to do this anymore! I hope that groundhog doesnt see his shadow!

LHGypsyRose
January 23rd, 2009, 01:57 PM
I usually have mine up anyway, but I wear it up more in the winter (on account of the static/wind factor). I love warm, windless days..then I can show of my crowning glory! :)

dearladydisdain
January 23rd, 2009, 02:06 PM
I absolutely hate wearing my hair down in colder weather, the reason being that it gets tangled from rubbing on my coats and hoods. :(

Sihda
January 25th, 2009, 12:29 PM
Sigh! I love wearing my hair down, but at the moment I prefer wearing it up or braid it neetly. Otherwise the wind would turn me into a tousel haired person :(. Apart from that don't caps fit very well on my head when I wear my hair down. Shiver!

kiwigeek
February 3rd, 2009, 02:49 AM
I wear it down or in a barrette in the winter, to keep my neck warm. Even indoors, even with turtlenecks, the hair still helps. When I go out, I keep my hair in my jacket. It's staticky, but I need my hat, and the jacket collar would press a scrunchy/bun against my neck.

I wish I could figure out a hairstyle to protect my hair but still keep my neck warm. I've been thinking of trying a snood.

LittleOrca
March 17th, 2009, 12:04 AM
When it's cold my hair becomes my own travel blanket.

kimi
March 19th, 2009, 03:43 PM
I wear it down more in cold weather for warmth, unless it's windy or I'm going to be outside and wearing a coat and/or hat. A pony tail or braid in summer, so the hair is off my neck. It's so darn hot and humid here in summer!

viking_quest
March 20th, 2009, 11:15 PM
I only wear it down on wash day. I'd rather have it up than down.

SwordMaiden
March 20th, 2009, 11:52 PM
Interesting thread... I actually wear my hair down all the time, half up, half down...or in a long braid...

My hair seems to never stays put up! How do you all get it to stay in a nice bun? I've tried hair sticks, but it just doesn't seem to work.

I'm new hear so any tips would be great... :D

Finoriel
March 21st, 2009, 01:49 AM
I donīt wear it down more in colder weather. :wink: Our weather is way too cold to notice any warming effect of hair... hmm wait :p does sheep hair in form of a nice and warm pullover count?

JamieLeigh
April 23rd, 2009, 03:56 PM
Personally, I'd rather wear it down in either autumn or spring. I can't stand it on my back in the summertime, unless there is a good breeze going - but then it gets wrapped around my body and annoys me too...no winning there. And I try to keep it up as much as possible in cold weather. So I guess the in-betweens are for me. I'm just a grey-area kind of girl. ;)

marzipanthecat
April 23rd, 2009, 04:08 PM
Yes! I do wear my hair down in colder weather. It really is like a nice warm blanket over my back, even though I'm usually wearing a thick and warm winter coat too.

AJoifulNoise
April 23rd, 2009, 04:13 PM
I'm starting to wonder if it's a changing seasons thing for me. Because now spring is creeping in and I'm feeling the urge to let my hair down again.

Not that I really am. It's inconvienent most of the time. But, still, the desire is there!

LadyDi
April 23rd, 2009, 04:35 PM
I only wear my hair down when it's drying. Cold weather here is usually rainy or windy, which doesn't do nice things to curly hair, so it ends up back in a high ponytail or sloppy bun (my hair is not that long yet).

drquartz1970
April 23rd, 2009, 04:56 PM
I do prefer to wear my hair down in cooler weather as it's nice natural insulation from the cold! However when my hair is long enough I will wear it up more in the hot summer to allow my neck to "breathe" and cut down on those annoying sweat acne that on the hair line.

Pacific
June 8th, 2009, 01:03 PM
I don't like to wear my hair down in colder weather. I find it unhandy with wearing a winter coat, scarf, turtleneck...

eresh
June 9th, 2009, 01:13 AM
Hmmm strangely I wear my hair more up on cold (and almost always rainy or drizzly in this region) days.
It doesn't get in the way of my scarf and it doesn't frizz all over.

On sunny days I like to wear it down, the sun gives it shine and it just makes me extra happy to wear it down.
(sunny days here are not very very warm mind you ;) in very warm weather (warmer than 30 Celsius) I put it up to keep my neck cool and prevent my hair sticking to me)

Debra83
June 9th, 2009, 01:18 AM
I've definitely started wearing it up on winter days more because I think I was getting some mechanical damage from my heavy wool Hudson's Bay winter coat at the collar height. So, when I have the coat on, I'd clip it up - but usually take it down after coming back in. (I smoke outside at work and at home - so it is on and off a lot during the day and evening).

mira-chan
June 10th, 2009, 06:50 AM
I'm more likely to wear it down if the weather is warmer. When it's cold, it's usually also rainy, windy or snowy. Not comfortable to wear loose at all, as it gets all messy.

Chromis
June 10th, 2009, 07:06 AM
Another who strictly wears hair up outside for cold weather. Here too it is snowy and windy and I don't like my hair dragging on my coat. For neck warmth I wear two scarves, one inside my coat and one outside or a cowl inside and scarf out. My hair isn't nearly as warm as those combinations are! I wear big floppy berets over my updos or on not-quite-so-cold but still windy days I wear a calorimetry (wide knitted headband sort of thing).

Savvyhorsez
June 10th, 2009, 07:24 AM
The weather doesn't matter for me except for the wind. I almost always have it in a ponytail.:)

Tabitha
June 10th, 2009, 07:43 AM
When it's chilly indoors, I definitely wear my hair down to keep my neck and particularly my ears warm. Like today, and all this week when it's been grey and rainy with temperatures in the 50s (F :lol:).

I'm finding it a lot easier to wear down since I chopped it from below waist - at that length, even indoors it would straggle everywhere and get in my way too much.

tarn
June 10th, 2009, 07:58 PM
I love wearing my hair down in the colder weather. Unfortunately it doesn't really ever get cold enough here to do that. It is pretty much up all the time in either a low pony (think olive off popeye) or a twisty updo that gets it out of the way quick.

silentwanderer
September 18th, 2009, 06:36 AM
A few weeks ago I bought myself a tam/wool hat. I don't like my hair rubbing against my jacket, so I keep it up or I just stuff it under a hat. Tams are great for bad hair days too:D and they are very stylish. It looks nice if you just leave your hair out and wear the tam on top. Great option for windy weather ,when you still want to wear your hair down.

xoxo

Zindell
September 18th, 2009, 07:34 AM
I almost always wear my hair down. This summer got very hot though so I wore it up a lot.

Now it's colder again and hair is back down. :)

twolunarspring
September 18th, 2009, 07:42 AM
I really love wearing my hair down in the cold weather - sometimes I use it as a scarf :)

Sometimes, I wear it inside a slouchy hat, which is very cosy, and then I have a knitted scarf round my neck.

I have never really noticed much more damage during the winter months.

clairenewcastle
September 18th, 2009, 09:02 AM
Oh to have hair long enough to keep me warm! Or rather thick enough to keep me warm I should really say, for although my hair touches my shoulders now (just!) when it was waist length in the past it was never very abundant. It wasn't just a case of fairytale ends, there simpley wasn't a lot of the stuff! Love the fact that you can use yours as a scarf Twolunarspring!!!!!!

Yvonne
September 18th, 2009, 09:19 AM
I wear it down most of the time no matter the season. I'm too lazy to try to go these great looking up dos. Maybe one day I'll give it another shot. If it's up, it's because I'm wearing velvet and my hair sticks to it ending up in terrible knots. (Or it needs to be washed so it goes in a quick ponytail :) he he).

Hiriel
September 18th, 2009, 11:24 AM
If it's cold enough that I have to wear a tuque I will wear it down or braided, unless I figure out a super clever way of keeping my hair bunned and my head warm at the same time ;)

Sissy
September 19th, 2009, 02:41 PM
yeah, I wear my hair down almost all the time... in both hot and cold weather. In fact, I wouldn't like to wear it up at all in the cold unless I had one of those cute little knit hannah caps :-)

Esperanza
September 19th, 2009, 03:08 PM
If I'm cold at home, I let it down, but if I am going out, it will be up, and under a hat.

Gingevere
September 19th, 2009, 03:52 PM
During the winter, I wear my hair down while walking to and from classes. For one, it's hard to fit a hat over an updo, and it also helps stave off the chills. It gets pretty cold up here, so staying warm takes priority over hair, lol!

zombi
September 19th, 2009, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I tend to wear my hair UP more when it's hot and DOWN more when it's cold.

Plus it looks cuter most of the time down with my awesome fall/winter outfits >_> Fall is my favourite season and winter is a second!

pepperminttea
November 18th, 2009, 10:06 AM
I wear my hair down most in spring and autumn. In winter, my coat and the wind turns it to a static mess, and in summer I like it off my neck to stay cool.

Lady Danger
November 18th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I always prefer having my hair down, but if it's very windy and/or I have to wear a heavy coat, I'll clip it up to walk around, otherwise it tangles like crazy.

Rhiannon7
November 22nd, 2009, 10:07 AM
I always wear it up, either in a braid or bun, no matter the weather.
only time my hair is ever down and loose is on wash day and only long enough to let it air dry, after it dries it's back to buns and braids.
i live in a city with major wind gusts and even in winter i can feel the tangles and damage if i wear it down. plus used to have a convertible and in spring, summer and sometimes in fall and winter (when weather was nice.) i drove with the top down so if i wear my hair loose it would be like standing in the middle of a tornado with my hair loose, major tangles that have to be cut out. (been there, did cut the tangles out after hours of drenching the tangles in oil and condish. ) so better braided hair and a cold neck than having to cut any tangles out.

RoseRedDead
November 24th, 2009, 02:40 PM
I am more likely to wear my hair down in colder weather than otherwise.

Of course, I still bun 90% of the time, so it's not often, but more often than in, say, summer. Probably because there is less humidity, and less the the frizzy-poofy thing going on.

Keildra
November 24th, 2009, 02:57 PM
It's get windy in the colder months where I live. Also I don't like having my hair stuck inside a jacket and get tangled. And I quit using a blowfryer so I don't like the wet hair sticking to my neck.

Irishred
November 24th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I have been wearing my hair down more recently. Not sure it is because of the weather however. When I wear a coat with my hair down, I usually leave my hair IN my coat. That way my hair stays warm against my body and I think there is less friction against the collar. I can't wear regular winter style hats (head shape), I really need a loose beret type hat or scarf n hood.

I do put it up when I need to do work. I guess I am running about 50/50 right now.

sapphire-o
November 24th, 2009, 03:21 PM
Yup. Almost every time I go outside I wear it down. It's much warmer that way. My hair doesn't seem to get tangles or damage anyway. I think my type of hair is built for wearing down. :D

*Oh I usually stuff it inside my winter jackets. They all have satin linings so I don't think that's very damaging.

Laylah
November 24th, 2009, 06:53 PM
I rarely, rarely, ever wear my hair down in colder weather. It's not bad in the summer, but in the winter I'm usually wearing layers of coats and hoodies, and my hair would get caught it the layers/zippers and stick to the back of my neck- very irritating. So I usually at least have a hairstick to bun my hair before going out, if I'm wearing my hair down indoors.

CrisDee
November 25th, 2009, 07:33 AM
Even though my hair is currently in a pixie, about 40 of my 51 years have been spent with long hair. I found that I also wore my hair up or in a pony tail almost all the time in summer, and down in the winter for warmth. I've been a flight attendant for the past 3 years, though, and was required to wear my BSL hair up for work. But as soon as I walked out of the airport after the last flight of the day, especially in very cold places, out would come the pin and down would come the nice warm hair! That's one of the primary things that brought me to this board - the thought of deplaning down the stairs and onto the tarmac in Bangor Maine in February without long hair to keep me warm! :(

FrozenPrincess
November 27th, 2009, 08:13 PM
I wear my hair down more in winter, unless its windy....then i wear it as a scarf.

Thinthondiel
November 27th, 2009, 08:17 PM
I wear my hair down almost all the time, regardless of weather.

BranwenWolf
November 28th, 2009, 12:20 AM
I love having it down in cold weather unless it's snowing. The last couple of times I went out to ride it was down, and I felt beautiful. :)

masterofmidgets
November 28th, 2009, 01:55 AM
I don't like having it down in cold weather, because it's windy and damp, and it gets tangled in my coat. But I hate having cold ears! Probably I should invest in a good warm hat.

embee
November 28th, 2009, 05:37 AM
I would *love* to wear my hair down for warmth, but it does not do well with sweaters and coats and velcro fasteners for rainwear. Plus, my hair doesn't suit my face down. :(

So my hair is always up, winter and summer.

eresh
November 28th, 2009, 12:22 PM
It depends on where I'm going.
But with all the wind and rain...and my hair going crazy electroshock with sparks from static electricity, I rather wear it up ;)

WyrdWay
November 28th, 2009, 11:31 PM
Back when I used to straighten my hair with the flatiron (often) I would wear my hair down mostly in the winter cause it wouldn't be as hot and I wouldn't sweat my curls back. This year will be very different though :)

curlylocks85
January 14th, 2010, 04:49 PM
It depends on the weather conditions. If it is really cold, (Under 32 degrees Fahrenheit), then yes, I do wear it down, but once it gets warm, I have to put it up because my hair is so thick it makes me sweat. My jacket is enough though that it keeps me warm. I would say half-and-half for me.

Beets
January 14th, 2010, 10:38 PM
I like to wear my hair down when it's dry and not too hot. But I live where it's moist and mostly hot. So yes, in the winter, when it's dry and cool, I try to get some "down" time in!

eternallyverdan
January 14th, 2010, 10:49 PM
I usually have my hair up in winter because I wear a woolen jacket and the underside of my hair mats when it rubs against the coat.

Personally I tend to wear my hair down more often in summer because I shower more often, due to the fact that I'm sweatier and have to shave my legs (in winter I can go months without anyone getting so much as a glimpse of ankle)

Hannah83
January 15th, 2010, 02:40 AM
I have been wearing my hair down this winter, but it really does'nt help my hair. It has been very cold here, somedays below -20 celcius. (I don't know how much that is in fahrenheit) and it gets frizzy, very dry and just looks sad. :( So I will wear it up for the rest of the cold winter. My hair is already dry and the weather just increase that.

Trollkona
January 15th, 2010, 02:54 AM
I wear my hair down to keep my ears warm. Got alot of piercings in my ears so my ears gets really cold in winter and my hair and a cap makes it wam and cozy :)

Monsterkitti
January 15th, 2010, 03:14 AM
I wear my hair up in winter a lot. It gets caught on scarves, coats and gets all tangled if I leave it down so it stays up nice and safe :) I just make sure I have a scarf to keep my neck warm.

pepperminttea
January 15th, 2010, 06:50 AM
Actually I wear my hair up more in winter to avoid static, especially against winter clothing - fleece is very warm, but terrible when it comes into contact with my hair! Summer I find I wear it up a lot, to keep cool, but I do wear it down in spring and autumn when I can. :)

Braidmaid
January 15th, 2010, 07:50 AM
I love to wear my hair down, but it isn't always practical; that's when it goes in a braid. I also like to wear hats. To keep it from tangling in the wind or rain, it goes inside my coat along with the rest of me.

Isabelle1984
January 15th, 2010, 06:40 PM
During winter, I wear my hair up most of the time so that it doesnt tangle. Because everytime I wear a scarf around my neck, I get a huge knotted mess in the back of my hair :(

sweet*things
January 16th, 2010, 05:53 PM
I've started wearing mine up most of the time. It is getting too dry and static-y, and I get matts at the back of my neck when I wear coats/sweaters if I leave my hair down.

elina333
January 17th, 2010, 02:22 AM
I wear it down actually... Never thought of it this way! :) Guess I wear it up in the summer due to the heat. But it also depends on wether its newly washed or not. My hair tends to look better day one and day two and then the rest I have to wear it up...

jesamyn
January 17th, 2010, 02:01 PM
I can't stand wearing my hair down when it's warm out, so by default I wear it down more when the weather is cooler. However, if it's windy or if the texture shows signs of being nuts due to humidity, I'll wear it up or braided.

2peasinapod
January 17th, 2010, 02:11 PM
My hair just got long enough to put up, sort of (if you count a pony stub as "up"), but I still wear it down in the winter. I usually wear a silk scarf on my head to protect it when I go out.

ravenreed
January 17th, 2010, 02:11 PM
I am having trouble with having my hair down and wearing a coat with a thick collar or hood. It is severely knotting up the hair at my nape. So, actually, I am wearing it up more this year than previously.

Belisarius
January 17th, 2010, 03:38 PM
I tried this yesterday. I can assure you on a bike with lots of cold wind, no it doesn't get warm.

rosek
April 4th, 2010, 04:16 AM
I wear it down when reading in bed. It keeps my arms warm, just like a blanket.

PadmeAmidala
April 7th, 2010, 01:57 PM
I once had my hair in a ponytail when I went hiking and it started snowing like crazy - never again, my hair was literally frozen! Had I wanted to, I could just have broken pieces off of it!