PDA

View Full Version : If you wear your hair down often, how do you prevent tangling?

Doreen
November 26th, 2018, 07:47 PM
Lately I have been wanting to wear my hair down more, but I hate how tangly it becomes. If you wear your hair down often, what do you do to keep it from being tangly by the end of the day? Do you brush your hair during the day?

I've used some silicone serums which help a bit but I still end up with a knot or two at my nape. I stay inside almost all day and am seated majority of the day. I know having a certain amount of tangles is normal for my length of hair and I don't have any trouble removing the tangles, but I would like for there to be less of them if possible.

sophia_
November 26th, 2018, 08:02 PM
I don't wear my hair down *often,* but aside from silicone serums, brushing it periodically is what I find necessary. I'm a hairstyle switcher, so I will sometimes go from bunned to down to bunned again (I don't notice that this slight manipulation causes any problems), and I rarely choose hairstyles I cannot switch. I do brush mine a lot on the rare occasion that I wear it down all day, because if I let it go too long without being brushed, it becomes extremely difficult to detangle and has the potential to cause more damage than if I had just brushed periodically. I brush whenever I notice it begin to look "stringy."

Julescarm
November 26th, 2018, 08:19 PM
Ive been trying to at least braid my hair or wear it up once or twice a week. I usually keep it down and loose. Its a inch or so past hip. I've found finger detangling through out the day helps me. I've been trying not too as often as it may make my hair more oily than usual. That's my two cents of advise. Finger detangler. :)

Groovy Granny
November 26th, 2018, 09:20 PM
I finger comb, then use my wood bristle brush if needed; if I feel snags I pull out my 'vented wet brush detangler' for the finer knots.

If I don't detangle first thing and before bed I will tangle badly.

I need cones for slip and using serum helps; I also do ROO/LOC.

Jo Ann
November 26th, 2018, 10:57 PM
A quick finger-combing usually helps me out, otherwise I run a wide-tooth comb through my hair after a while, like when I go to the bathroom or heading out. The brush I keep in my car causes me more problems than it helps (thanks, LHC :p )

Alibran
November 27th, 2018, 04:28 AM
Not any help to you at all, with your straight hair, but it might help curlies and wavies ...

I encourage mine to clump when I wash it and to stay in clumps as it dries, and then leave it alone. No brushing, no combing, not even finger combing. Nothing that might break up those clumps. Hair that's stuck in clumps can't tangle. Once the clumps start to break apart, I either damp it down to make it clump again, or wear it up or in braids until I next wash it.

spitfire511
November 27th, 2018, 06:16 AM
I usually (cool) blow mine straight and wear it down a good bit. As the others, I very gently finger detangle frequently and make sure I'm brushing with the TT at least once mid day. I also use serums or oils that provide some slip.

I don't know that there's any way to 100% prevent the tangles when you're wearing down - but this has certainly helped me be tangle-less. :D

Aredhel
November 27th, 2018, 07:14 AM
Lotsa cones. :) I keep a small wooden WT comb on my person at all times too, and do a quick comb when/if needed when I'm out and about.

lapushka
November 27th, 2018, 07:41 AM
Also really depends on how long it is, IMO. The longer, the tanglier it can get, I think. At BSL I still wore it out sometimes and it was not that bad, but beyond that, the tangles. Dude! I was glad for my updo!

ArabellaRose
November 27th, 2018, 12:26 PM
When I'm at home I'm fortunate enough to be able to wear my hair down with very little tangling (if any) and even some mornings I wake up with nary a tangle (and I sleep with my hair down as it doesn't like braids). I'm finding I'm tangling even less now that I'm using WCC/ROO/LCO methods. I'd assume it's all down to hair type and length, I have hip length type 1b hair.

When I leave the house I tie in a very loose ponytail, as in the tie is midway down my length, and tuck it down the back of my coat, throw my infinity scarf around on top of it and wear a winter hat. So far my hair is liking this and when I get indoors I find it remains untangled with no extra kinks.

lithostoic
November 27th, 2018, 03:05 PM
Keeping it moisturized.

Doreen
November 27th, 2018, 03:18 PM
Thanks for the suggestions! I oiled it last night and it does seem to be behaving better today after my regular washing.

maborosi
November 27th, 2018, 05:13 PM
Past classic I just don't really wear it down unless it's:

A: Braided
B: A Banded Ponytail

I take a brush with me, slather my hair in cones, and pray it's not windy outside, lol.

Lots and lots and lots of hydration, aloe vera gel, and 'preparing' my hair let me do it occasionally, but it was just a lot of effort for something that wasn't very fun.
Plus everyone would say things about it- generally nice, but I'm shy and don't like attention, so I stopped wearing it down.

Milkchocolate
November 28th, 2018, 06:36 PM
I get hardcore tangles :( hate it! Best thing I could do to cut it down by 50% is using coney conditioners. The slip really helps with brushing tangles out easier.

I also brush in the morning and night before bed. Once I brush at night, I sleep with my up-do, so therefore mornings will be a lot faster and easier to detangle!

I also use a wet brush or a tangle teezer to brush out. A lot more delicate and less pulling.

And use lots and lots of moisture, as dry hair tends to intertwine a lot more. I apply gloss serums or Hask oils directly after I’m done detangling. It keeps the dryness from clumping together and causing tangles. It prolongs the tangle-free smoothness by soooo much :)