PDA

View Full Version : Am I crazy?

Sparkles122
November 26th, 2018, 11:57 AM
It will be 3 weeks ago this Thursday that I had a hair cut from hip legnth to bra strap length. I am devastated. It’s almost as if someone cut off one of my extremities. Am I being over dramatic? I know it is only hair but I canr get over this feeling of deep loss.

ArabellaRose
November 26th, 2018, 12:01 PM
To me that seems perfectly normal. Every time I've had a haircut I've had a deep sense of regret, the shorter it ends up the greater this feeling is for me.

My sister recently went from hip length to shoulder length and even though it want my hair I still felt it. She loves it though and that's all that matters :D

Sarahlabyrinth
November 26th, 2018, 12:23 PM
I have always felt like this too whenever I have had a haircut. I know how you are feeling. Hugs! :grouphug: It feels like part of you is missing.

Groovy Granny
November 26th, 2018, 12:46 PM
It is normal and I have felt it in the past too!

Bling it up/put it up/forget it....it will grow back faster and healthier before you know it :cheer:

blesseddamozel
November 26th, 2018, 12:57 PM
Totally normal. Here's to growing it out again :flower:

floralgem
November 26th, 2018, 01:06 PM
I experienced this a few weeks back I had a cut from waist to a bit above BSL. I'm sitting here regretting it too. But your hair is gonna grow back better than ever!

Sora Rose
November 26th, 2018, 01:15 PM
Sounds perfectly normal to me. I went from hip to BSL because of mechanical damage, and I regretted it for ages - even if I knew it was for the best.

Sid0rela
November 26th, 2018, 02:08 PM
I feel you! That's why I'm not cutting from APL to collarbone length (I need to, to get rid as much as I can of the dye/bleach).

At least your hair will grow back, so try to enjoy this length that you're on because now you know you won't be cutting when you reach hip length. 🙂

maborosi
November 26th, 2018, 02:08 PM
Nah it can definitely take time to re-adjust and feel normal, especially with such a big chop.
Years ago, I cut from WL to chin, and felt weird for a long while.

It helped me to just try to check in once a month and log my progress, and not get too hung up about the length.

But because of that cut, I grew all the way to almost knee, so it was absolutely worth it.

blackgothicdoll
November 26th, 2018, 02:47 PM
I cut my hair almost a year ago now - back in April - and I still get so, so sad thinking about how long my hair would be now had I not cut it. It wasn't even damaged, I just thought I needed to cut it to start growing it out. Made sense at the time.... I'm almost back to the length that I was then, so I feel like I lost a whole year of a hair journey.

So no, I don't think you're crazy,but just know with time and patience it will grow back.

lapushka
November 26th, 2018, 03:16 PM
I went from classic to hip in November 2016. It was a big change. And I didn't like it, but to go as far as to say it's like losing a leg is... a little too much. ;) We are 2 years on now (already, that went fast) and I am FTL right now.

I know it sucks, I really do. But it will grow back!

cjk
November 26th, 2018, 03:29 PM
It will be 3 weeks ago this Thursday that I had a hair cut from hip legnth to bra strap length. I am devastated. It’s almost as if someone cut off one of my extremities. Am I being over dramatic? I know it is only hair but I canr get over this feeling of deep loss.

Normally, when someone prefaces a statement by asking if they're crazy the answer is yes.

So yes. You're crazy!

Doesn't make your sense of loss any less real, though. When I cut off half my beard I felt a similar sense of loss, though it was still long by any normal standards I missed playing with it, twirling it, the way it tickled my nipples, flowed in the wind, and so forth.

It's just now starting to get back to my "normal" length.

My own trim was necessary to address split ends and damage. But it was a major and fairly devastating loss.

Crazy or not, it's completely understandable.

Sparkles122
November 26th, 2018, 03:41 PM
I need to find a hobby or something to occupy myself for the next year. I keep running to the mirror excitedly checking the 3 week regrowth I have...

Sparkles122
November 26th, 2018, 04:59 PM
I feel you! That's why I'm not cutting from APL to collarbone length (I need to, to get rid as much as I can of the dye/bleach).

At least your hair will grow back, so try to enjoy this length that you're on because now you know you won't be cutting when you reach hip length. 🙂

Sooo true! Im never cutting it again, so I definitely should enjoy BSL because ill never experience it again! 😆

blackgothicdoll
November 26th, 2018, 06:05 PM
I need to find a hobby or something to occupy myself for the next year. I keep running to the mirror excitedly checking the 3 week regrowth I have...

Try gardening. I think it is the perfect hobby, because you can watch something else grow! :D And plant growth is quite a bit faster than hair growth in some cases. I find raising seedlings very rewarding, and metaphoric to hair care.

Sparkles122
November 26th, 2018, 06:17 PM
Try gardening. I think it is the perfect hobby, because you can watch something else grow! :D And plant growth is quite a bit faster than hair growth in some cases. I find raising seedlings very rewarding, and metaphoric to hair care.

Ahh good idea! Its winter where I live but I could probably start a little garden inside!

Milkchocolate
November 27th, 2018, 09:51 AM
I understand where you’re coming from :) I learned my lesson many years ago when the hair dresser gave me a mans cut as opposed to a pixie. I was so sad. I felt like something was taken from me. You are not being over dramatic either! It meant something to you :) like others said, distract your mind by doing fun hobbies :) like I always tell myself...my hair is not my life! See it as if you have the freedom to do anything without your hair getting in the way now! (Long hair care can sometimes be limiting)
Out of sight, out of mind and enjoy doing things you love :) happy growing!!

Sparkles122
November 27th, 2018, 10:19 AM
I understand where you’re coming from :) I learned my lesson many years ago when the hair dresser gave me a mans cut as opposed to a pixie. I was so sad. I felt like something was taken from me. You are not being over dramatic either! It meant something to you :) like others said, distract your mind by doing fun hobbies :) like I always tell myself...my hair is not my life! See it as if you have the freedom to do anything without your hair getting in the way now! (Long hair care can sometimes be limiting)
Out of sight, out of mind and enjoy doing things you love :) happy growing!!

Ive definitely learned my lesson. It will never ever happen again. I didnt appreciate it when I had it, but I am sure will appreciate it when its back

ursaV
November 27th, 2018, 12:58 PM
Ahh good idea! Its winter where I live but I could probably start a little garden inside!

I've found propagating succulents to be super fun and easy! I have so many more succulents than what I started with haha. :blossom:

I've had short hair my whole life, but I've been thinking about this thread all yesterday and came to the conclusion that if someone cut off all my progress right now I would be pretty devastated. I had a dream the other night that I had a chin length bob and I was seriously upset when I woke up, so that got me thinking as well. Even though I'm only at APL+, taking care of my hair and body have really helped me feel like I'm growing into how I'm supposed to be. I'm very sorry you regret your haircut, I think distractions and just enjoying the growing process is all key, and you have plenty of support here :o

Sparkles122
November 27th, 2018, 01:45 PM
I've found propagating succulents to be super fun and easy! I have so many more succulents than what I started with haha. :blossom:

I've had short hair my whole life, but I've been thinking about this thread all yesterday and came to the conclusion that if someone cut off all my progress right now I would be pretty devastated. I had a dream the other night that I had a chin length bob and I was seriously upset when I woke up, so that got me thinking as well. Even though I'm only at APL+, taking care of my hair and body have really helped me feel like I'm growing into how I'm supposed to be. I'm very sorry you regret your haircut, I think distractions and just enjoying the growing process is all key, and you have plenty of support here :o

I am absolutely devastated over it, so much so, that I am embarassed. I knew what I was in for when I was cutting my hair. It was a donation so i had to cut a certain amount off. However she cut 4-5 more inches off than what she was supposed to. To make matters even worse, I got highlights the same day, which completely fried my hair. I take this as a huge lesson learned and the only thing to do now is move forward and distract myself