PDA

View Full Version : Scrunchies: Yea or Nay?

MarPreciosa
November 24th, 2018, 12:50 PM
Curious to hear your thoughts...

Scrunchies are a big trend right now. I, for one, am happy to see their return but I know they are very love 'em or hate 'em.

Where do you stand? If you love them, how do you wear them? If you hate them, why do they draw the ire?

maborosi
November 24th, 2018, 12:53 PM
I wear lots of silk scrunchies- I find them much less damaging than regular hairties. :)

nycelle
November 24th, 2018, 12:56 PM
I also use silk scrunchies. I use them to do lazy top knots.

Stray_mind
November 24th, 2018, 01:23 PM
I don't like them, never did, even as a child. I just don't like how they look. :shrug:

blackgothicdoll
November 24th, 2018, 02:22 PM
I love satin and velvet scrunchies. I usually put a satin scrunchie on first (a plain black one) when I'm going to wear a velvet one, just to be safe. :)

lapushka
November 24th, 2018, 02:31 PM
Curious to hear your thoughts...

Scrunchies are a big trend right now. I, for one, am happy to see their return but I know they are very love 'em or hate 'em.

Where do you stand? If you love them, how do you wear them? If you hate them, why do they draw the ire?

I still have my 80s & 90s scrunchies, even the headband size scrunchies (yes I had those too).

I don't wear them now, that is, not currently as I bun (fork) my hair constantly. But who knows once I get to thigh I might need to contain it at night as well, and that's where a soft scrunchie would come in (or a smaller claw clip).

Alibran
November 24th, 2018, 02:32 PM
I wore scrunchies all the time when they last came round, but I've discovered the really soft, stretchy cotton bands now - the ones that look like sweat bands if you put them on your wrist - and I like those better. They're very gentle on my hair, but they don't slip like silk or velvet scrunchies tend to, so my ponytails stay put.

lithostoic
November 24th, 2018, 03:41 PM
Yes, I have several!

Dark40
November 24th, 2018, 03:51 PM
I love scrunchies! I wear them all of the time, and I also got plenty of them too! Especially, the cotton ones. I love them better than the satin ones. Because, they don't slip out of your hair. The cotton ones I don't ever have any issues with. They are very gentle to my hair.

sophia_
November 24th, 2018, 03:56 PM
Yes I love them so much, I own several satin and velvet ones, as well as several cotton ones and printed ones in a variety of colors. They make buns bigger and prevent weird lines from those that start with a ponytail base. Velvet ones are better for tying off braids as they stay better. They make regular English braids more interesting and fun to wear.

Ligeia Noire
November 24th, 2018, 04:36 PM
I love them and that's all I use with also nylon ones. I just made a whole bunch of them from ripped hosiery :)

Capybara
November 24th, 2018, 05:17 PM
Love them! I make my own and purchase them. Great idea to make them out of nylons, Ligeia Noire!

I wear them for low ponytails, high cinnamon buns, and English braids.

Larke
November 24th, 2018, 05:30 PM
I have a few velvet ones, and I use them when I'm at home and when no one will see me. :P They are useful to have around, but I don't use them very often when going out.

Spikey
November 24th, 2018, 08:37 PM
I love them because I feel like they're the only way to put my hair in a ponytail without damage! There isn't really a way to check if that's true or not, but I really can't see mine causing any friction, as they're velvet. I get huge ones in crimson and royal blue at Japantown for $2. I love them so much.

I still don't use them more than once a week though just because loose hair isn't great for me.

Doreen
November 24th, 2018, 08:57 PM
I think they look cute. I wear them around my buns to coordinate with my outfit.

AutobotsAttack
November 24th, 2018, 09:11 PM
Once I realized my hair stays up in a bun or bun variation without scrunchies, I haven’t worn one in about a whole year.

illicitlizard
November 24th, 2018, 09:24 PM
I used to really like scrunchies, but I recall having issues with them holding up my pony tails (I like 'em high) so I'd double them over a normal hair tie which was useless for preventing damage :P. Used to go round a bun always looks cute too (holdover from dance as a kid).
Still, I reckon they're cute as so I kind of love that they're coming back!

Pacific
November 24th, 2018, 09:38 PM
I have maybe 10 scrunchies and use them for a low pony or bun decoration.

pailin
November 24th, 2018, 09:41 PM
I always loved them because they're the only thing that wouldn't catch and pull my hair in a ponytail. The soft fabric ties I like, but only for braid ends because they're just strong enough for ponytails. But now I really only use scrunchies for trimming my hair (which is not often) because otherwise I just don't do anymore ponytails at this length.

Natashap
November 24th, 2018, 10:03 PM
love them but they get loose after few uses.

My hair is silky texture so can fall off as well.

Spar
November 25th, 2018, 12:07 AM
I always keep a scrunchy on my wrist in case I need it! I do a side braid and secure it with the scrunchy :)

Longlegs
November 25th, 2018, 12:17 AM
Not for me, A bit retro , but I never liked them in the 80's either.

MoonChildCurls
November 25th, 2018, 01:33 AM
Love scrunchies! Had no idea they were back in. I have curly hair and scrunchies look pretty with a low, fluffy ponytail.

TatsuOni
November 25th, 2018, 02:54 AM
I love them and have a lot of them!

Sarahlabyrinth
November 25th, 2018, 03:07 AM
Are they really back in?

Wendyp
November 25th, 2018, 05:45 AM
I sleep with my hair in a top knot held with scrunchie almost every night. Sometimes I braid, scrunchies are my go to for a pony tail.

ravenskey
November 25th, 2018, 06:03 AM
I use scrunchies to tie off my plaits.

Are they really back in?

Haven't really seen them much IRL but I think it's like a fashion trend that's going on...or maybe it's over I'm not sure - fashion is confusing.

iforgotmylogin
November 25th, 2018, 06:19 AM
Scrunchies make me think of the original Heathers

Pacific
November 25th, 2018, 06:41 AM
Are they really back in?
I don't know, but here in Israel you can find them in many shops. I see scrunchies in braids and buns on street.

gustavonut
November 25th, 2018, 06:41 AM
I wear scrunchie hair ties every day.

Katsura
November 25th, 2018, 06:44 AM
I had a couple of them back in the days, but I haven't missed them and don't have any now.

RoseChantel
November 25th, 2018, 07:18 AM
I don't like scrunchies. I didn't as a kid either in the 90's when they were in style. My hair is really fine and smooth so they don't stay put at all and they are just too bulky for my hair. I wear the ones that are just strips of elastic tied into a loop. They are really gentle on my hair and stay where I put them.

MarPreciosa
November 25th, 2018, 07:34 AM
Scrunchies make me think of the original Heathers

Yes and I love that!

lithostoic
November 25th, 2018, 09:49 AM
Are they really back in?

For sure, at least where I live! More common among the alternative/rocker crowd.

sophia_
November 25th, 2018, 10:46 AM
Are they really back in?

Yeah, it was surprising to me too, the 90's seem so recent and now it's *retro* and everything's back in, oversize turtlenecks, mom jeans, dad sneakers, butterfly clips, tiny tortoiseshell sunglasses, you name it, lol. Even the "bad" trends seem to be coming back.

Beckstar
November 25th, 2018, 12:05 PM
I saw yes, yes, yes. Pass the scrunchie.

clandestine
November 25th, 2018, 01:36 PM
Heck yes! I loved them in the 90s and I live by them now. I have two silk ones and would like more.

Sarahlabyrinth
November 25th, 2018, 02:18 PM
Ha ha, well, I'm finally in fashion! Lol.

lillii
November 25th, 2018, 06:12 PM
I love scrunchies! I wear them every single day almost, sometimes at night if I don't braid my hair. Love experimenting with how I can style them too!

nycelle
November 25th, 2018, 06:18 PM
Dunno, I can't say I see many wearing scrunchies here.. maybe their comeback is regional?
I use them, but even when I do my lazy top knot, my hair goes over the scrunchie so you can't even see it..lol..

Groovy Granny
November 25th, 2018, 09:35 PM
I LOVE scrunchies and have a large zip bag with Threddies Cottons (Etsy), a large zip bag of scrunchies I have crocheted from project scraps, and a sandwich zip bag of small/hair tie size/cloth ones.

I wear them for low/loose ponytails on headache days, to tie off my braids, and to decorate donut buns.

My fine silver is so slippery,I have never tried silk scrunchies and hesitate to ... but they are beautiful... as are the velvet ones(but too fancy for my needs).

I don't pay attention to what is in style or not...I am already doing my own thing by being an old lady with long silver hair and weird hair accessories, where they cut/curl/dye :p

maborosi
November 25th, 2018, 09:36 PM
I LOVE scrunchies and have a large zip bag with Threddies Cottons (Etsy), a large zip bag of scrunchies I have crocheted from project scraps, and a sandwich zip bag of small/hair tie size/cloth ones.

I wear them for low/loose ponytails on headache days, to tie off my braids, and to decorate donut buns.

My fine silver is so slippery,I have never tried silk scrunchies and hesitate to ... but they are beautiful... as are the velvet ones(but too fancy for my needs).

The silk ones can be really hit or miss if my hair is feeling especially slippery on some days.
Then I just have to give up and put my hair into a regular bun!
I do love them though, they really do feel much more gentle on my hair than regular ties. :)

Groovy Granny
November 25th, 2018, 09:39 PM
The silk ones can be really hit or miss if my hair is feeling especially slippery on some days.
Then I just have to give up and put my hair into a regular bun!
I do love them though, they really do feel much more gentle on my hair than regular ties. :)

Maybe someday....I never say never ;)

I have never had damage from them or the regular 'no damage hair ties' :shrug:

MarPreciosa
November 26th, 2018, 12:19 PM

I don't pay attention to what is in style or not...I am already doing my own thing by being an old lady with long silver hair and weird hair accessories, where they cut/curl/dye :p

Fair enough! FYI, from your avatar - gotta say that your hair is gorgeous. :crush:

MarPreciosa
November 26th, 2018, 12:22 PM
Yeah, it was surprising to me too, the 90's seem so recent and now it's *retro* and everything's back in, oversize turtlenecks, mom jeans, dad sneakers, butterfly clips, tiny tortoiseshell sunglasses, you name it, lol. Even the "bad" trends seem to be coming back.

Hahahaha, so true - the mock turtleneck, crop tops, the whole deal ;)

TheForestFae
November 26th, 2018, 12:37 PM
If I want to do a ponytail I wouldnt go with a scrunchie, but if I want to put my hair in a bun then I will definitely need a beautiful scrunchie that made from silk or velvet. But normally I wouldnt wear that lol

Groovy Granny
November 26th, 2018, 12:38 PM
Fair enough! FYI, from your avatar - gotta say that your hair is gorgeous. :crush:

Thank you :flower:

Sid0rela
November 26th, 2018, 02:15 PM
I generally *love* hair toys, ties, pins in general. So scrunchies are definitely a YES from me.
I usually use them to secure my french braids at night, or when i put my hair up in a ponytail.
Have a babypink and a grey one i got for 1$. They are velvety and cute.

Begemot
January 9th, 2019, 03:54 AM
Yay :D as long as it's a cute scrunchy. I have two at the moment: one pink and velvety, one light denim with "bunny ears".

Danglish
January 9th, 2019, 08:17 AM
I own a purple velvet scrunchie, but have found that it overpowers my tiny ponytail too much. Time is what I need

SwanFeathers
January 9th, 2019, 08:56 AM
For me it's a "Nay" because I feel the look is too dated and that there are too many better alternatives to wast time on an ugly tool like scrunchies. (IMO) but if others enjoy them, thats great!

Xan
January 9th, 2019, 10:36 AM
I love them wear everyday to work to secure the bun.

The-Young-Maid
January 9th, 2019, 10:40 AM
I love them for braids, and even keeping them on my wrist lol

Kathie
January 9th, 2019, 03:16 PM
I like scrunchies because they're more gentle on hair compared to standard hair elastics. In the past, I've even sewed my own! Theyre currently strictly for home wear though.... maybe some in a new funky fabric would lean me towards public wear :smirk:

lunalocks
January 10th, 2019, 09:42 AM
Very occasionally for a pony. I do not use any other kind of elastic.

Some years ago when I was doing aerobic dance several times a week, I wore my hair in a pony with a scrunchie. I found myself continually tightening it and over time this broke hairs. Just be aware, even tho they are soft, repeated friction on hair by tightening can cause damage.

Cg
January 10th, 2019, 10:19 AM
I used to wear them with small crocheted snoods when my hair made embarrassingly tiny buns. Now I use scrunchies only when Feye trimming.

browntatis
January 10th, 2019, 04:21 PM
I love scrunchies!
I have always use them since I was a little kid. Honestly I had no idea they went out of style hahaha, I never stopped using them, I think they are basic and very practical :D

RubberDucky
January 11th, 2019, 12:11 AM
I don't think I've ever owned a scrunchie. When I had long hair I always used stretchy cotton hair ties (never rubber bands) and those are the ones I have now too.

Olux
January 11th, 2019, 12:36 AM
Only to sleep.

bparnell75
January 11th, 2019, 10:00 AM
Have made plenty of them and wore them constantly for years. Sometimes at night. With all the pretty toys available...not now.

Copasetic
January 11th, 2019, 12:04 PM
I love how scrunchies look, but I feel like they don't look great on me because my hair isn't thick enough. I still wear them though.

MarPreciosa
January 11th, 2019, 02:03 PM
I like scrunchies because they're more gentle on hair compared to standard hair elastics. In the past, I've even sewed my own! Theyre currently strictly for home wear though.... maybe some in a new funky fabric would lean me towards public wear :smirk:

Yea, I have some very large fluffy velvet ones I don't generally wear outside either beyond maybe yoga class (though personally I think they are adorable) but almost exclusively wear some small black ones for braids, top knots and ponytails in my regular life. I have some ribbon elastics that are gentle and very cute too, but they scratch my neck. Maybe once my hair is beyond APL-ish, I'll be able to bust those out more frequently. Scrunchies are just so comfy and seem to not cause damage if used gently. Now I only use elastics if I am doing a braided crown and cringe when securing them - ha!

As lunalocks said though, if you are tightening them often, they could do damage too. I guess the lesson is to always be careful regardless of your tools!

MandyTarff
October 4th, 2021, 08:48 AM
It's a nightmare trying to find somewhere that does 'actual' silk. This site does 100% mulberry and they're beautiful!!

FaeBroom
October 4th, 2021, 12:11 PM
Big yay! I think they're more fun than hair ties and less damaging. Different patterns, textures, and sizes... I love options 😍 They look too chunky on my braids though, so I opt for little hairties, unless its my sleep braid. I'll tie that with a scrunchie because I don't care how it looks, so less damage > aesthetics there.

aloewurly
October 4th, 2021, 12:52 PM
I love them! All other hair ties snag so much hair.

Glitch
October 4th, 2021, 03:50 PM
I love them too! So easy to tie up and take out with no friction or damage :D Doesn't tug on anything while in either, and just overall feels extremely comfy.

Garnetgem
October 5th, 2021, 06:06 AM
Love them as they don't pull or snag hair, even when you remove them they don't drag hair out...what's not to like!

baanoo
October 5th, 2021, 06:37 PM
I don’t like them for braid tails - too much fabric for me - & for at home I usually prefer a claw clip. When I’m trying to sleep with my hair up, I use them but that’s really about it.

Eastbound&Down
October 6th, 2021, 12:37 PM
I like them a lot, they don't hold as securely as other elastics but I don't mind, and my hair seems to like them better.

Lesley8
October 6th, 2021, 12:41 PM
Yay! I love my silk scrunchies

Obsidian
October 6th, 2021, 12:44 PM
I like smaller scrunchies, not those big dinner plate sizes ones with the gaudy patterns.
I have some velvet ones I'm saving in case I ever grow long enough to actually use them.

0xalis
October 6th, 2021, 12:56 PM
I've always liked scrunchies, my mom's heyday was in the 80's and so she always still had a big collection of them when I was growing up.
When they started to become legitimately popular again it was convenient cause I was already wearing them before they were cool LOL!

GordonMurphella
October 7th, 2021, 06:00 AM
Still my least damaging option. I never stopped wearing them (but I'm old, I can get away with such things!).

bparnell75
October 7th, 2021, 11:16 AM
I not only wore them, but I made them probably 100 or so in every size and fabric. I had one for every outfit and plenty of solid ones too. I wore them in ponytails and in high buns. I learned how to make a bun with them that did not require any other anchor tool. I find sticks and forks to be superior tools but who knows what the future holds....... I still have them.

ReadingRenee
October 8th, 2021, 12:56 PM
Im a scrunchie fan. I have learned how to make a cinnabun at the top of my head that holds with a scrunchie and it is very comfortable and non-damaging for now. I also like to do a low bun. That's pretty much the only way I wear them since I rarely do ponytails. I don't know if they are still back in style or not, but I was so happy once they were because I had been using the same few scrunchies for years, as they weren't easy to find. Now you can find and buy them almost anywhere.

Beckstar
October 9th, 2021, 07:49 AM
Nay, I don’t like how they look on me.

DropStitches
October 9th, 2021, 10:30 AM
I not only wore them, but I made them probably 100 or so in every size and fabric. I had one for every outfit and plenty of solid ones too. I wore them in ponytails and in high buns. I learned how to make a bun with them that did not require any other anchor tool. I find sticks and forks to be superior tools but who knows what the future holds....... I still have them.

Ooh, how clever, I’d love to have scrunchies to match my outfits! I’m a big fan of them in general, but outfit-matching ones would take my scrunchie game to the next level!

Lady Neeva
October 11th, 2021, 11:07 AM
I wear scrunchies daily.

nmgdolly
October 12th, 2021, 10:40 AM
I love scrunchies! ❤

Kathie
October 12th, 2021, 04:19 PM
Ive already chimed in here and mentioned that I like scrunchies. But I wanted to add that I especially like silk scrunchies!

Silk can compress easily so I've found a silk scrunchie works well at the base of a bun or ponytail or equally well compressed at the end of a braid.

JasminxCat
October 25th, 2021, 07:32 PM
Yes I like wearing them around the house and to sleep in. I was wearing silk but they slip out of my hair too easily so I decided to try velvet. These just came in the mail today and I'm so obsessed :o
https://i.postimg.cc/d0rb4SwT/20211025-201956.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Wendyp
October 26th, 2021, 03:02 PM
I sleep in scrunchies. I can't sleep in a braid though.

NaïaTheWitch
November 10th, 2021, 01:39 PM
I use a lot of this type of hair tie but without the velvet/silk part on. Probably will try one day but i think these are a lot less damaging than the regular one. And lot less traction on scalp and hairline when i do a ponytail. :)

sipnsun
November 10th, 2021, 01:42 PM
I love them and never stopped wearing them even when they were out of style! I mostly wear velvet (for running because they don't slip) and satin (for around the house and sleeping).